Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Mighty No. 9 - It's better than nothing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the primary reason the game fails to engage is actually very straightfoward and it is apparent to the player right from the beginning:

the continually-interrupting-slow-paced-bad-voice-acting cutscenes that RELENTLESSLY ASSAULT THE PLAYER AND STOP HIM FROM ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

what little game there is in mighty no 9 is completely shackled and neutered of any energy in its level design by the cut-scenes. I cannot recall any other game in history where they managed to so utterly kill off any sort of foward momentum in the game's design so simply and so easily by implementing cut-scenes like the ones in mighty no. 9.

and yeah, not even MGS folks, not even MGS can challenge mmn9 in this department. there is simply NO EXCUSE.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
s3BLAID.png

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
the primary reason the game fails to engage is actually very straightfoward and it is apparent to the player right from the beginning:

the continually-interrupting-slow-paced-bad-voice-acting cutscenes that RELENTLESSLY ASSAULT THE PLAYER AND STOP HIM FROM ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

what little game there is in mighty no 9 is completely shackled and neutered of any energy in its level design by the cut-scenes. I cannot recall any other game in history where they managed to so utterly kill off any sort of foward momentum in the game's design so simply and so easily by implementing cut-scenes like the ones in mighty no. 9.

and yeah, not even MGS folks, not even MGS can challenge mmn9 in this department. there is simply NO EXCUSE.

At least it's over relatively quickly.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
groke

i get the point you're trying to make but the difference is:

1) xenosaga had an actually interesting story

and

2) xenosaga was not an action game

nobody wants to play an action platformer for the story. they want to play it for the action platforming; whereas RPG gamers are evenly split between those who play them for the story and those who play them for the gameplay and those who play them for the unique combination of both things (Planescape).

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Seeing Mega Man smile is a bit odd to me, but otherwise a very incline fan game.

...I'd argue it doesn't deserve to be in this thread, but whatever.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://gematsu.com/2017/06/level-5-acquires-comcept-now-level-5-comcept

Level-5 acquires Comcept, now Level-5 Comcept

Level-5 has acquired Comcept, and the subsidiary is now known as Level-5 Comcept, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reports.

The magazine has an interview with Level-5 president and CEO Akihiro Hino, and Comcept founder Keiji Inafune. Here are the tidbits:
  • From around the time we worked together on Guild 02, there have been talks about doing something together.
  • Inafune: “I had the feeling that I wanted to be like Hino since around the time I was at Capcom.”
  • To easily describe it, Level-5 Comcept is a company that combines the philosophies of both companies.
  • It is a new company with the base staff of Comcept and the involvement of Akihiro Hino.
  • Inafune: Although there are plans to close Comcept as it currently stands in the future, I will take responsibility for the titles I’m working on until the end.
  • Level-5 Comcept is a subsidiary of Level-5. To paint a picture, instead of receiving instruction and then working on a title, it is a place where the Comcept team and Hino will make games together.
  • Level-5 Comcept is based in Osaka. In the future, they want it to play the role of Level-5’s Osaka studio.
  • Currently, Level-5 Comcept is made up of about 15 people, who are mostly Comcept members, but they want to gradually recruit staff from here on.
  • The goal is to make games that show that they’re in the league of Inafune.
The first game by Level-5 Comcept is an iOS and Android title called Dragon Colonies, which is due out in Japan in 2018. It is set in a world where various races, including humans, magic beings, and large beasts, live together. It features dice-shaped, miniature garden colonies called “Hacolonies,” which players can freely build up. The focus is on player-versus-player battles and building the strongest Hacolony. You will become stronger by establishing facilities and placing dragons on five of the six Hacolony sides to act as weapons. One side of the Hacolony has a crest, which by uniting with an enemy Hacolony becomes a battlefield. Battles are real-time, and victory goes to the first player to destroy the enemy’s Hacolony.

Better than nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom