Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
How the hell do I kill the Earth Elemental Lord? Yes, I am aware that the probable answer is "Make a party that does not suck, friend" but seriously is there any way to stop the Paralyse Rape Train?
Burning Determination.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Angthoron

Arcane
How the hell do I kill the Earth Elemental Lord? Yes, I am aware that the probable answer is "Make a party that does not suck, friend" but seriously is there any way to stop the Paralyse Rape Train?
Burning Determination.
Yeah, this. Burning Determination is awesome.
"Burning Determination - Expert Fire Spell"

I have no mobs and I must grind!
You could probably keep clobbering it on the head to prevent casting as well, then. Assuming you have heroes capable of this.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You could probably keep clobbering it on the head to prevent casting as well, then. Assuming you have heroes capable of this.
My ranks in Warfare bear fruit! OTOH now I won't be able to aggro him, so he will oneshot my magic users. Oh, this is going to be fun.

Angthoron

Arcane
My ranks in Warfare bear fruit! OTOH now I won't be able to aggro him, so he will oneshot my magic users. Oh, this is going to be fun.
Choice & Consequence, comrade!

But yeah, there should also be scrolls for sale, should help massively. Also potential rings/amulets with Paralysis immunity.

Eyeball

Arcane
Interestingly, all of the really useful spells seem to be at novice or Expert level, with the later ones being kind of just icing on the cake and the grandmaster level spells chiefly being a bit too expensive for their effect without being massively better than earlier spells. For my playthrough (on adventurer, mind you) I spammed stone skin, regeneration and celestial armour the most, sometimes using burning determination or fire shield if fighting mezzers or becoming surrounded by weak melee enemies. Same with melee, with the only really useful skills coming at Expert level.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I used master rank spells a lot. Chain lighting, acid splash and agony are just too good, fire master spells are good too since there are lots of air resisting enemies. Primordial and light master spells were too situational.
But I agree about grandmaster spells, we got them a bit late (last quarter of the game) and they are not that usefull considering how effective lower ranked spells are.

Arkeus

Arcane
"Burning Determination - Expert Fire Spell"

I have no mobs and I must grind!
Burning determination has a scrol handplaced in the chest placed in the room just before the boss. You can't not have one unless you have skipped the room (you might have to go in the other rooms to activate a plate that opens the room with the handplaced Burning Determination scroll, not sure).

Seriously, they totally made this boss a tutorial the same way they gave way too many antidotes for spiders or Rosalee for Den of thieves.

I used master rank spells a lot. Chain lighting, acid splash and agony are just too good, fire master spells are good too since there are lots of air resisting enemies. Primordial and light master spells were too situational.
But I agree about grandmaster spells, we got them a bit late (last quarter of the game) and they are not that usefull considering how effective lower ranked spells are.
I... What?

Master primordial has Spirit Beacon and Master Light has Ressurection. How is that too situational? Also, Master Water has Liquid Membrane and Master Dark has Agony.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Yeah game does that awfully lot, like that enfeeblement curing potions in nearly every chest inside barracks.
Also one of them dungeons had lots of dispel magic scrolls, can't remember which one though :)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Master primordial has Spirit Beacon and Master Light has Ressurection. How is that too situational? Also, Master Water has Liquid Membrane and Master Dark has Agony.

Used beacon only for 4-5 times to return Karthal to lower travel time, MMXL world is really small compared to previous games where we need to beacon each corner of the map not to lose our sanity. There are only 4 cities and you can use horses/ship as you like. It is not like that money is an issue after 2nd act.
Raising dead is really, really situational for me since I use 3 dwarves in party with high health(even with 20-30 vit points), maybe cast 10 or 15 times. Minotaur heroes and fire lord killed 1 or 2, elite ravenous ghouls and skeletons killed ambushes killed others. Regen, stoneskin, celestial armor, resistance spells and destiny buffs are enough to prevent death mostly.
Didn't leveled water magic, frost bolt was enough most of the to prevent multi hits and I used agony a lot as soon as I get it. Dual axe wielder scout has a good synergy with it.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I think Air Magic is one of those scenarios where the later spells are mostly better than the earlier ones.

Chain Lightning is disappointing for me right now, but CYCLONE is definitely a game changer. If you know you're going to enter a tough fight, just spam them and start sleeping and for some reason the tornados will STILL be there after a supposed "8 hours" of sleep. Their ability to hurt your own party is buggy too: it hurts you if you willingly step into it, but not the tornado moves into your square, which makes abusing it really easy.

I wonder if they fix those two issues if it'll become useless instead. I hope they don't, because I think good late game spells are way too rare

ben_reck

Educated
Editing the options file did enable the sounds but I could only enjoy them reliably in a dungeon. In fact the game crashes too much (outdoors, Act II) to be enjoyable at this point. I may have to hope for a patch.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That's highly unlikely to be patched, it's a RAM issue. Upgrade your OS to 64-bit or live with the crashes.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I have Vista with 3GB of RAM. What's the logical upgrade?
Windows 7 64-bit version, assuming you have a 64-bit CPU. You'll also more RAM, since the game's minimum requirement is 4 GB, and the recommended is 6 GB.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I have Vista with 3GB of RAM. What's the logical upgrade?
Windows 7 64-bit version, assuming you have a 64-bit CPU. You'll also more RAM, since the game's minimum requirement is 4 GB, and the recommended is 6 GB.

Which is 10 million shades of fucking crazy, considering how low-end the graphics and RAM requirements should be. 6GB of RAM for a turn based blobber? God in heaven, what planet am I living on?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath

Holy fucking shit! I read this and immediately thought "that has got to be bullshit" - but nope, I'm walking around in the forest near Seahaven and the game is using 2.4GB of memory at the moment, so the recommendation actually seems to make sense. That is way more than I've ever seen from a heavily modded Skyrim, for instance (which isn't a shining beacon of well-optimized games either). It's a good thing I've got 8GB in my rig, but that's still absolutely crazy!

TCFTIEH.jpg

Monocause

Arcane
Which is 10 million shades of fucking crazy, considering how low-end the graphics and RAM requirements should be. 6GB of RAM for a turn based blobber? God in heaven, what planet am I living on?
Unity

Yep. My guess is that the game preloads a fuckton of data every time you go to an area instead of opting for a more elegant solution with loading as you go. That would also explain the loading times.

That's low-budget dev for you. AoD's got excessive reqs as well.

ben_reck

Educated
yes, I have a hard time getting my head around that. and the devs seem perfectly pleased with Unity which makes me scratch said head.

but my system is 64-bit capable. that could be a first step.

Monocause

Arcane
yes, I have a hard time getting my head around that. and the devs seem perfectly pleased with Unity which makes me scratch said head.

That said, it *should* run with 3 gigs. And 4 gigs is increasingly becoming a standard; I'm playing MM 10 just fine on a fairly lowend laptop (i3 CPU, 4gigs RAM, NVidia 710M) that I bought in June for some £350.

In terms of them being happy about Unity, I suppose it's because beggars can't be choosers and it's very good when you're on a very tight budget.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom