Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Update: Q&A + Open Dev Chat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

Over at the Might & Magic X Legacy open development blog, the Limbic staff have posted a Q&A answering some of the questions people have had about the game. Here are a few of them:

SOME PLAYERS FEAR THAT THERE MIGHT BE A GENERIC, REPETITIVE WORLD MAP, SINCE PREVIEWS SHOW ONLY GREEN AND BROWN AREAS.

Julien (Marzhin93): “Although it is true that the story and therefore the environment in which MMX is placed is not a whole world like there was in MM1-5, we'll still have different environments like plains, barren lands, forests, jungles, mountains etc. We’ll just not have so drastic climate changes like an ice field being located near a desert. The peninsula explored in MMX is more "realistic" in that regard.”​

Stephan (LE-Stephan): “I believe that there is not such a huge difference when comparing the size of the MMX world map with the one from Clouds of Xeen.”​

Thomas (LE-Thomas): “True, the grid size (x*y) of the world from MMX is actually a little larger.”​

SOMEONE HAS ASKED WHETHER TOWNS WILL BE HOSTILE BY DEFAULT AND YOU HAVE TO SOLVE A QUEST FIRST BEFORE THEY BECOME SAFE HAVENS.

Julien (Marzhin93): “It depends on the town. Generally speaking, towns are safer in MMX than they were in MM1-5, however that doesn't mean they are completely safe either. But I don’t want to spoil too much about that already as it is part of the story. And it’s no fun to explore if you already know everything upfront, is it?”​

SOME PLAYERS WERE CONCERNED THAT THE GAME MIGHT BE NOT CHALLENGING ENOUGH AND HOPE FOR DIFFERENT DIFFICULTY LEVELS.

Marcus (LE-Marcus): “Yes I am glad to be able to say, that we’re currently planning with two different difficulty levels.”​

Stephan (LE-Stephan): “It is our aim for the game to be challenging for players. Besides, as Marcus just mentioned, we’ll have two modes: Adventurer and Warrior mode.​

SOME PLAYERS ARE AFRAID THAT THE END BOSS MIGHT BE TOO EASY. QUOTE: „LORD XEEN IS SUCH A BAD EXAMPLE: JUST WAITING IN HIS CASTLE TO BE SLAIN. ALAMAR/SHELTEM AT LEAST TRIES TO INTERACT (PLEASANT DREAMS...MUHHAAHHA!). SO I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF THE FINAL BOSS WOULD NOT ONLY HELPLESSLY OBSERVE YOUR PARTY GETTING STRONGER AND STRONGER, BUT ACTUALLY TRIES TO GET RID OF THIS THREAT.“ (SOURCE)

Julien (Marzhin93): “While we obviously don't want to spoil the whole story at this point, our villain is not sitting in his dungeon waiting for the player, but has an agenda of his own.”​

Stephan (LE-Stephan): “I think we can also tell that we do plan special mechanics for the bosses.”​

If you'd like to know more, you might want to participate in the Might & Magic X "Open Dev Chat" on IRC today, at 18:00-19:00 German time (GMT+2). Read here for more information on that.

Update: Click here for an edited transcript of the dev chat. Thanks, zappater!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, people who are going to participate in the IRC chat, we'd appreciate it if one of you recorded a chatlog and posted it here.

zappater

Novice
Everything from the chat:

Introduction of the Devs:
<@Ubi-Nox> Hello everybody! First of all, thank you very much for your presence!
<@Ubi-Nox> We are pleased to announce that we are now starting MMX Open Dev chat session
<@Ubi-Nox> Before starting questions, we propose you to let our 3 main keyspeakers introduce themselves

<@LE-Marcus> Hello all, nice to have you all here - my name is Marcus and I am responsible for the game design of MMX

<@LE-Stephan> Hello everyone, my name is Stephan and I am the Managing Director of Limbic Entertainment. Great to meet you all. I am looking forward to talk and discuss with you about MMX!
<@LE-Stephan> I have a mixed role in MMX. On the one side I am working closely with the Ubi production team mainly discussing many of the production related topics. On the other side I am in close contact with the team leads here at Limbic Entertainment basically following the progress of the development.
<@LE-Stephan> and I know how to copy & paste!

<@Marzhin93> Hi, I'm Julien Pirou, I'm the creative designer and writer of MMXL

Question 1:
<DakotaBob> My first question: while you probably cannot announce a release date at this time, will there be detailed gameplay footage released in the near future?
<@LE-Stephan> Ok, regarding the "will we see more detailed gameplay footage": Yes, we definitly plan to show "more" about MMX.

Question 2:
<HmmXhmm> Yes, about that cloth map...
<@Marzhin93> and regarding the cloth map, yes there will be one in the boxed edition, and no, it won't be the same map artwork you saw on the website :)

Question 3:
<Goddy> gamescom?
<@LE-Stephan> @Goddy: What I can confirm is that we will be at GamesCom with MMX. ;)
Follow-up Answer:
<@Ubi-Nox> Gamescom will handle between 21-25/08

Question 4:
<Qik> What made you decide to bring Might and Magic back. Are you longtime fans? Did Grimrock's success have any part in the decision to go back to the series tile based roots?
<@Marzhin93> @Qik: I'm actually preparing a blog post detailing the long road that led to MMXL. That story would be a bit complex to tell here in the chat :)

Question 5:
<narupley> Question: Why hasn't there been more marketing and media hype? Nothing was even said at E3 about it, to my knowledge. Is the budget or motivation on Ubisoft's side just not there?
<@LE-Stephan> narupley: Regarding your question about marketing/hype. I think our main focus right now is GamesCom. And for sure we want to make sure MMX gets attention there. Aside from this we are working on sharing more infos/insightsover the blog.
Follow-up Answer:
<@LE-Stephan> Our main goal is to give you visibility/transparency about what is happening. Aside from this we are following a lot of communities and forums aswell - and in fact I really think that there is already a nice "awareness" that MMX is coming.

Question 6:
<masterdummy> Etrian Odyssey is more like MM than Grimrock's
<@Marzhin93> @masterdummy: I love the Etrian Odyssey (even if these games are... hard) and can't wait for EO4 to be released in English

Question 7:
<unacomn> How are you going to design the puzzles for Might and Magic X? Will they be base on mechanisms, abstract logic, or good old fashioned riddles (which most current games avoid). I personally miss things like finding out the password to Castle Alamar, or the Vowelss Knights.
<@LE-Marcus> I'll answer the puzzle question: We are planning to have a good mix of all elements unacomn mentioned. The logic puzzles will probably be dominating, but we all agreed that typing answers you had to decipher or put together from fractured information was a great feature - so will have these as well.
<@Marzhin93> one thing I loved in the old M&M was that riddles and puzzles were as important as battles

Question 8:
<Qik> I had heard about a potential september release date. Is that still the plan?
<@Marzhin93> our current release date is "when it's done" :)

Question 9:
<Milek> Will there be sci-fi elements, like The Ancients, blasters, stargates etc?
<@Marzhin93> As you know MMXL will take place on Ashan so no sci-fi. But longtime players may recognize some links to the Ancient universe. And that's all I can say for now ^^

Question 10:
<Tanir> Any chance for an Arcomage-like mini game in MMX?
<@LE-Stephan> Regarding ArcoMage: Straight forward: No - ArcoMage won´t be in MMX. We are focusing on a lot of other stuff (and it is really a lot) so ArcoMage is not planned.

Question 11:
<HmmXhmm> Another question, if I may: how complicated/"multi-layered" can we expect the quests to be? Will there be any choices to make with unexpected consequences later on?
<@LE-Marcus> Regarding the quests and the choices they offer to the player we have that here and there on a side quest level. There will be no elemental decision driving your party and/or the story towards good or bad.

Question 12:
<unacomn> Lore wise, how deeply are you rooting yourselves in Ashan, and how much liberty can you take in making up your own monsters, places, characters, etc. (Also, by any chance, does the game end with Ashan exploding and everyone running away to rebuild Enroth? (I really dislike Ashan as a Might and Magic setting in general :P ))
<@Marzhin93> @unacomm: we are staying true to the lore of Ashan, but being a RPG allows us more flexibility. It's not all about epic battles and sieges, it can be about the life of the actual people of Ashan. I think it gives quite a different perspective on that world.

Question 13:
<Qik> I read that MMXL will take place around the time of MM6. So 7-8-9 will not be relevant storywise then right?
<@Marzhin93> @Qik: MMXL takes place a decade after the events of H6.

Question 14:
<Shukfir> Will it be possible to change difficulty level only on start or also during the game?
<@LE-Marcus> Shukfir, we are currently not planning to allow changing the difficulty in a running game but I will note it down and check with the programmers, if its feasible.

Question 15:
<masterdummy> Which development stage is the game in?
<@LE-Stephan> @masterdummy: Regarding your question "What stage of development is the game". I think we are quite advanced with most of the "core mechanics" we need. Topics we are for instance working on right now is stuff like "save games handling", "creating specific boss behaviour", "implementing spell effects"... But overall from the main mechanics a lot is done - and ofc there is a lot to polish now as well. ;)
<@LE-Stephan> In addition to your question masterdummy: The level design team is sweating the most now - they still have to build quite some levels as we speak. ;)

Question 16:
<Chomik> Is alchemy in? Do we get to brew black potions and cause horrible accidents at work in case of bad potions mixed?
<@LE-Marcus> No alchemy in MMX. Actually we dropped a lot of the miscelleneous skills.

Question 17:
<Qik> Did you keep Cartography at least? :)
<@Marzhin93> as in MM6-9 cartography is automatic

Question 18:
<Goddy> will there be a town portal? meteorshower? )
<@LE-Marcus> No Meteorshowers - but we are working on realizing other awesome spells with cool effects.
<@LE-Marcus> We will have no Town Portal but a Ashan-Version of Lloyd's Beacon.

Question 19:
<Qik> Ok so I hear there are skill trees now for characters? Will there also be a way to respec those?
<@Marzhin93> @Qik: Skills are handled in a very similar way to MM6-9
<@Marzhin93> so no DIablo-like skill trees
<@LE-Marcus> There are no real skill trees - we oriented the skill system mainly to MoH
<@LE-Marcus> Novice, Expert, Master, grandmaster
<@LE-Marcus> no respec

Question 20:
<mindx2> The trend in today's games is "accessibility" (which translate to making the game easy enough for a 3 yr old to play), how can you make this truly "old-school" content and gameplay-wise yet still keep Ubisoft happy/ assured that grandma can play it?
<@LE-Stephan> mindx2: Ok, I guess I agree about "accessibility". But I think I disgaree that "accessibility" translates into making a game trivial. If we talk about accessibility we have topics like handling and GUI in mind. For instance as much as i love Xeen games - the inventory handling is something you just wouldn´t develop nowadays.
<@LE-Stephan> mindx2: On top of that we want to give user´s the opportnity to get into the game. What we implemented is a "hint" system which helps you at the beginning of th game - but only if you want to. So in case you atre an M&M veteran you just hit the check box "dont show more hints" and move on....

Question 21:
<Shukfir> By thw way, will magic schools be like in Heroes 6 or like in previous M&M games or something new?
<@Marzhin93> @Shukfir: Magic chools are a mix of typical Ashan spells and classic M&M spells

Question 22:
<Chomik> 2nd question - how are dialogues handled? Like in Xeen (click dude, get monologue), MM6-8 (click words, get monologue) or something else still? Dialogue trees, keyword input?
<@Marzhin93> @Chomik: dialogs are similar to MM6-8

Question 23:
<masterdummy> day and night time?
<@LE-Marcus> There is time in MMX and it is passing. We have dungeon/city time and world time which is passing per step you make. When resting or doing quick travel a larger chunk of time is passing.
<@LE-Marcus> But there will be no thing like the xeen desert in regards to time.

Question 24:
<Qik> How much non storyline content will there be? I believe I remember reading there was about 25 hours to the main story will there be much more than that to do for exploration?
<@Marzhin93> @Qik: there are a lot of sub quests and secrets to discover outside of the main quest

Question 25:
<Goddy> what about the "speaking party?" i mean as in Wizardry - not only comments, but speaking about what happening..(party members)
<@Marzhin93> @Goddy: the party in Legacy is definitely not silent :)
<@Marzhin93> actually Wiz8 was a huge inspiration for the way "party barks" are handled in Legacy

Question 26:
<narupley> Regarding the "hint" system: I'm assuming it's done in a similar fashion to the "tutorial islands" of previous games? Id est, I really hope there is not a quest marker or anything like that, throughout the entire game. That really kills the point of exploration.
<@LE-Stephan> narupley: something we just discussed during the last weeks was about "monster healthbars". Do we want them? Does everyone want them (obviously no) but could they be helpful for "new players" (maybe yes)... So the answer is fairly easy: Make it an optional feature and let the player himself decide how much "help" he wants.

Question 27:
<Tanir> Do we get an own House/Castle/Estate like in MM7?
<@LE-Marcus> You are occupied with being a hero to downtrodden Tanir, there is no time for housing... ;) No we wont have that in MMX

Question 28:
<HmmXhmm> Any hidden dialogue words you only get if you solved a certain quest/visited a certain location?
<@LE-Marcus> @HmmXhmm: There are some dynmaic dialog lines that depend on the progress and the characters in your party.

Question 29:
<mindx2> @LE-Stephan, no more hints sounds good but what about the "hand-holding" of modern cRPGs such as quest compasses, linear fetch quests, etc.?
<@Marzhin93> Marcus will be able to confirm this, but I think we won't have any sort of quest compass
<@Marzhin93> however there will be some icons on the minimap showing dungeon entrances, etc. But you only see them when you're nearby.
<@LE-Marcus> Actually we were not planning to have some sort of quest compass for long range but to have different symbols on the minimap when you are in the vicinity of the quest location.
<@LE-Stephan> mindx2: About handholding: I actually think it´s not possible to go into full "hand-holding mode" in an M&M game. We have an open world approach - it´s up to the palyer to head out and explore. So if he ends up going straight to the big monsters as a low level he will have a hard time for sure. On the contrary I think what we want to provide is so
<@LE-Stephan> me "guidance" at the beginning of the game with the goal to make all players - newbies and veterans alike - aware of their options ingame.

Question 30:
<mindx2> Do NPCs actually give you directions or does the location magically begin glowing on your map or big exclamation points pulsate over NPCs heads?
<@Marzhin93> mindx2: one goal is to allow to turn on/off as many options as possible so players can tailor their experience

Question 31:
<Chomik> 3rd question - Will there be class advancing and branching like in MM 7? As in, promotions + good/evil branching?
<@LE-Marcus> There will be advanced classes but no good/evil branching.

Question 32:
<Morgoth> could a theoretical MM11 feature a late game scifi setting? or ist that forbidden from UbI?
<@Marzhin93> Morgoth: all M&M games for the time being are taking place on Ashan, so having obvious sci-fi elements will probably not happen

Question 33:
<Tanir> How do you make sure that the game is still challenging for experienced players but not to difficult for new players?
<@LE-Marcus> Tanir, we try to provide a core experience that can be mastered by every player while providing extra content in form of side quests and things to explore and unlock that are more challenging.

Question 34:
<Milek> GOG version
<@LE-Stephan> @GOG version. It´s a question we (aka Limbic Entertainment) can´t answer today right here.

Question 35:
<masterdummy> Question # 35546 how many different monsters are there? not the one with the color change.
<@LE-Marcus> Without the "color-change" we roughly have more than 50 monsters

Question 36:
<Shukfir> Will monsters differ from Heroes 6?
<@Marzhin93> @Shukfir: we won't have only monsters from H6

Question 37:
<mindx2> @LE-Stephan- So there is no level-scaling in the game, correct? Since a low level party can get squashed by monsters they run into in more dangerous areas?
<@LE-Stephan> mindx2: correct, no scaling. If you die - come back later, be prepared and try again. ;)

Question 38:
<HmmXhmm> How many monters can there be on a single tile? How big will the enemy groups be in general? The enemy numbers in MM6 and onwards were often pretty massive.
<@Marzhin93> @HmmXhmm: like in Xeen, there can be up to 3 monsters on one single tile
<@Marzhin93> it depends on the size of the monster :)
<@LE-Marcus> Our monsters are quite big for the tiles so most of them will come in groups not bigger than 2.

Question 39:
<masterdummy> Will there be any in-joke reference like star trek?
<@Marzhin93> @masterdummy: yes :)

Question 40:
<narupley> Question: Will resistances (e.g. fire, body, poison) still be in the game, and will they apply to both
sides (both your party and to specific monsters)?
<@LE-Marcus> Bilateral resistances are in the game.
<@LE-Marcus> But the resistances of course relate to the Ashan magic schools.

Question 41:
<King> Will there be food in the game?
@Marzhin93> @King: yes, the ration mechanic is still there
<@LE-Marcus> Our food is called supplies, but yes.
<@LE-Stephan> @King: Not sure if it was answered: Food/Resting is for sure in - better stock up before adventuring in the wilderness. ;)

Question 42:
<Qik> Will there be an post game content? Will the Arena make a return? I'm also hoping for a very high level cap.
<@Marzhin93> @Qik: once the main quest is over, you're brought back to the game's world and there will be some extra stuff to discover

Question 43:
<Grunker> "Our monsters are quite big for the tiles so most of them will come in groups not bigger than 2." - so you're saying the party rarely runs into more than 2 monsters at a time?
<@Marzhin93> Grunker: you can be surrounded by monsters, some can shoot you from a distance...

Question 44:
<narupley> Question: If you're in melee combat, can you run away? I saw in the PAX demo that once you're in melee, you're "locked" and can't move at all. I hope that isn't the case.
<@LE-Marcus> We decided to lock the party to enemies in melee combat. As moving consumes the turns of all characters you wouldnt be able to "shoot and run" anyways.

Question 45:
<Qik> How is the AI in the game? Are the monsters easy to fool with maneuvering?
<@LE-Stephan> @Qik: About the AI: Monsters are aware about each other (buffing for isntance), monster can try to reinforce a tile. Monster try to circle you and surround you. And ofc they use ranged attacks/spells if they are some tiles away.

Question 46:
<Shukfir> Will there be in-game books to read?
<@Marzhin93> @Shukfir: yes :)

Question 47:
<Milek> What happens after death?
<@LE-Marcus> Death = Reload

Question 48:
<Qik> Will there be spells and abilities that hit multiple tiles? Like say I'm in a narrow hallway and there are 3-4 tiles of enemies in front of me. Can I cast a wave of fire to hit all of them or is combat restricted to the tile you are facing.
<@Marzhin93> @Qik: yes :)
<@LE-Marcus> Yes, there are ice rings, flame burst and mass control

Question 49:
<Goddy> will there be some opportunities to win battles with help of surrounding things?
<@LE-Marcus> We don't have kicking enemies into spikes ... ;)
<@Marzhin93> @Goddy: some battles will definitely force the player to adapt to his environment. And that's all I can say for now ^^

Question 50:
<DakotaBob> will the boxed version sell at the same time as the digital download and how much will it be estimated to cost?
<@LE-Stephan> @About versions/price - no answers from us here and now - sorry. ;)

Question 51:
<Milek> and what about the main story? do we start as group of unknown people who get involved in a big thing?
<@Marzhin93> @Milek: mostly yes. You are not the Chosen Ones. Just a group of Raiders that will make a difference.

Question 52:
<zapp> In general will there be breakable objects and hidden areas?
<@LE-Marcus> There are "secret" locations and other objects you need to overcome. Instead of just letting you bash them there can be challenges of the three attributes might (bashing), magic (dispelling) or perception (manipulating).

Question 53:
<Milek> will we save the world?
<@Marzhin93> @Milek: no.
<@Marzhin93> But prevent some bad stuff to happen? If you're good enough :)

Question 54:
<narupley> Saving the world is overrated.
<@Marzhin93> narupley: I agree, and that's where taking place on "just" a peninsula is actually a good thing. It forces us to keep things "local" :)

Question 55:
<HmmXhmm> How varied will the terrain be? Can we expect to see slopes, canyons? Can we see certain reachable objects from a distance? Or do you mostly wander along a single plane?
<@LE-Marcus> from a structural point of view there will be slopes and cliffs but no bulges.
<@LE-Marcus> There are landmarks you can see from quite far away.

Question 56:
<masterdummy> Will there an answer to a question that hasn't been asked?
<@Marzhin93> @masterdummy: the answer to that question is 42

Question 57:
<Qik> How many people do you have working on MMXL?
<@LE-Stephan> @Qik: Here at Limbic Entertainment we have ~18 people on the project. In addition we are geting a lot of support from external partners (QC, art, music, sound, etc).

Question 58:
<Qik> Can you tell us anything about any new features you are excited about?
<@Marzhin93> @Qik: one thing I love in Legacy is that we have some "Might" abilities as well, like for instance one character covering his companions with his shield, etc.
<@Marzhin93> a bit like in Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land

Question 59:
<narupley> Also: What if you accidentally wander into a super-overpowered monster? Are you just completely screwed and there's nothing you can do? I understand about the "no shoot and run", but what about just running?
<@LE-Marcus> Sometimes you will be able to get away and sometimes you will probably need to load a saved game narupley.

Question 60:
<masterdummy> Is the inventory space fixed?
<@Marzhin93> @masterdummy: yes but the Mule hireling allows you to expand it
<@LE-Marcus> Inventory is fixed but "expendable"...

Question 61:
<Melnorme> Reposting my earlier question: Is the game structured so that you need to progressively unlock exploration abilities (levitation, mountaineering, stuff like that) to slowly uncover world, with the ability to bypass such limitations if you're clever enough? (for example with a temporary fountain boost)
<@LE-Marcus> Melnorme, we will have something similar.
<@LE-Marcus> You expand your reach by story progress (something becomes locked/unlocked), exploration abilities (you can only pass if you have a certain ability) and finally your partie's might - if you are too weak you might not be bale to cross a certain point guarded by powerful monsters.

Question 62:
<masterdummy> Can I put mule inside a mule?
<@Marzhin93> @masterdummy: we won't have mule breeding mechanics, sorry :)

Question 63:
<unacomn> Any over-arching grand puzzle, like the obelisks?
<@Marzhin93> @unacomm: Obelisk puzzle is in ;)

Question 64:
<mindx2> Last thought, though I know you can't answer now, but I WANT A COLLECTOR'S EDITION PHYSICAL BOXED version with maps, trinkets, etc!!!! I'll pay extra!! ..... pretty please :)
<@Marzhin93> mindx2: the boxed edition will definitely contain some cool stuff, but that's all I'll say ;)

Question 65:
<Kaw> Will the freemage be able to GM spells?
<@Marzhin93> @Kaw: the Freemage can GM a few magic schools, yes

Question 66:
<Tanir> Do you have some sort of codex or library ingame, where books or other lore information is stored?
<@Marzhin93> @Tanir: yes :)
All Questions and Answers added.. someone else can post about all the stupid shit people said, cause there was a lot.

Session Start: Wed Jul 10 17:31:19 2013
Session Ident: #mmxdev
03[17:31] * Now talking in #mmxdev
03[17:31] * Topic is 'Might & Magic X Legacy Dev Chat'
03[17:31] * Set by chat.limbic-entertainment.de on Thu Jan 01 01:00:42
[17:32] <DakotaBob> hello?
[17:32] <narupley> Hey
[17:32] <Qik> hi bob
[17:32] <DakotaBob> nice, its working now =)'
[17:33] <Qik> I haven't used IRC in years. I used to be on here all the time
[17:34] <narupley> I use it every single day at work haha
[17:34] <Qik> probably been a dozen years since I used it regularly
[17:34] <DakotaBob> I barely use it, when it didn't connect at 6pm i thought it was a problem on my end
[17:35] <Qik> I know twitch uses it as their chat and it's down half the time
03[17:35] * LE-Lore changes topic to 'Welcome everyone, thanks for joining us. Chat starts at 6 p.m. GMT +2 :)'
[17:36] <DakotaBob> 6pm? its almost 7pm here =P
[17:38] <Qik> so I assume we're all Might and Magic fans here. when did you all start playing?
[17:38] <Qik> I started in 1992 with MM3
[17:39] <DakotaBob> i first played heroes of might and magic 3 in 2004/2005, then picked up might and magic 7 after that, became a fan then. im 20 now
[17:39] <Qik> nice
[17:39] <narupley> I started as a kid playing IV/V/VI with my dad, then went back and played the earlier ones
[17:39] <Shukfir> I started in 2013 :)
[17:40] <DakotaBob> pretty recent =)
[17:40] <Qik> nothing wrong with that
[17:40] <DakotaBob> true
[17:40] <Ubi-Nox> Hello everybody :)
[17:40] <Qik> always nice to see new fans that can appreciate classics
[17:40] <DakotaBob> hey
[17:40] <Qik> hello Nox
[17:40] <Ubi_Irina> Hello everyone :)
[17:40] <Qik> and Irina
[17:40] <LE-Lore> Hey there :)
[17:41] <DakotaBob> hi
[17:41] <Ubi_Irina> nice to see in the chat room!
[17:41] <Qik> and Lore!
[17:41] <LE-Larissa> Hi all :)
[17:41] <Qik> and Larissa! Which is a very nice name.
[17:41] <DakotaBob> =D
[17:42] <LE-Larissa> thx ;)
[17:43] <Ubi-Nox> how are you guys doing? ready to harass our team?
[17:43] <Ubi-Nox> :)
[17:43] <narupley> Very ready
[17:43] <DakotaBob> absolutely =P
[17:43] <narupley> lol
[17:43] <Qik> I love harassing Dev teams!
[17:43] <LE-Stephan> Test 123 - good evening.
[17:43] <Ubi_Irina> not too much, not too much ;)
[17:45] <DakotaBob> when do we get this show on the road? =P
[17:45] <Qik> about 15 minutes by my count
[17:45] <LE-Larissa> ~ 15 minutes (6pm GMT+2)
[17:45] <Zgoder> pl
[17:45] <Zgoder> czy to działa
[17:45] <Zgoder> ?
[17:46] <Ubi_Irina> can't speak polish :(
[17:46] <Marzhin93> Hi everyone
[17:46] <Zgoder> when this game start
[17:46] <Zgoder> ?/
[17:46] <DakotaBob> 15mins
[17:46] <Qik> heya Marzhin
[17:48] <Zgoder> o co tu chodzi
[17:48] <Zgoder> ???
[17:50] <Ubi-Nox> Welcome Milek & Goddy
[17:50] <Goddy> hi )
[17:50] <Milek> hi
[17:50] <Ubi-Nox> :)
[17:51] <Goddy> can't wait, mm6 & 7 my favourite ^_^
[17:51] <DakotaBob> i have trouble between choosing world of xeen and mm6 as my favorite
[17:51] <Milek> I never played MM < 6
[17:52] <Ubi-Nox> not exactly the same but Xeen do have lot of fans!
[17:52] <Qik> MM3 and World of Xeen for me
[17:52] <Milek> but for now my favorite is 6, then 7 and 8
[17:52] <Goddy> ))
[17:53] <Goddy> while waiting for MMx - Wizardry8 )))) again
[17:53] <DakotaBob> never played wizardry 8, is it any good?
[17:53] <narupley> I think VII is objectively the best, but everyone has a soft spot nostalgically for the first one they played I think
[17:54] <Qik> I've been playing Wiz 7 since they released it on GoG
[17:55] <Milek> what kind of story would you like to play in MM X?
[17:55] <masterdummy> testing
[17:55] <Supacoco> working
[17:56] <DakotaBob> i'll probably play the wizardry games after i replay world of xeen, i hear the learning curve in those games are quite high
[17:56] <Qik> I'd like to see Corak and Sheltem brought back into the mix somehow
[17:56] <masterdummy> ty
[17:56] <narupley> What would I like? The sci-fi elements to come back
[17:56] <Ubi_Irina> 5 more minutes for the devs to get ready
[17:56] <Milek> me too, I want blasters and Ancients
[17:56] <narupley> I think almost universally people agree that Ashan was a mistake
[17:56] <LE-Stephan> *gets ready*
[17:56] <Morgoth> hi everbody
[17:56] <Shukfir> I disagree
[17:57] <Ubi-Nox> Hello :)
[17:57] <Milek> it's for casual players, who couldn't get used to MM world
[17:57] <narupley> For heroes Ashan is totally fine; HoMM has never dealt with the sci-fi elements anyway, and they're different games anyway
[17:57] <Qik> so before chat starts. Shouls we bother asking about things like release dates or pricing? Or are they just not set in stone or just not ready to be answered. Same for whats in the collectors edition
[17:57] <Milek> HoMM could have The Forge
[17:57] <HmmXhmm> Hello, dear developers and fellow MM fans :)
[17:57] <LE-Larissa> hello ;)
[17:58] <Morgoth> can ask questions yet? :D
[17:58] <DakotaBob> I have no negative feelings against ashan, slightly generic but does have an interesting backstory and mythos, with the dragon worship
[17:58] <narupley> Morgoth: Nothing's stopping you haha
[17:58] <Ubi-Nox> hehe, just a few minutes before questions
[17:58] <masterdummy> what time is it at GMT +2?
[17:59] <Milek> I prefer Baa worship
[17:59] <Ubi-Nox> in 1 minute masterdummy
[17:59] <Morgoth> ups forgot: we :D
[17:59] <Morgoth> german summer time
[17:59] <Ubi-Nox> lot of german today here :p
[17:59] <Milek> it's funny, I'm in GMT+1, but we do have DST
[18:00] <HmmXhmm> DakotaBob Ashan would definitely be more interesting if it had a few sci-fi elements tossed in, just to spice things up - it would make it so much more than a simple fantasy world
[18:00] <masterdummy> wait a minute, I thought the time for me would be 4:00 EST
03[18:00] * LE-Lore changes topic to 'Hello everyone, welcome to the MMX dev chat! Our topic today is "Questions and worries about MMX" - also see our blog post here: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/51dc2a63888ef64b39000003'
03[18:00] * Retrieving #mmxdev modes...
[18:00] <masterdummy> I'm mostly german living in USA
[18:01] <DakotaBob> HmmXhmm I'd agree, i would like the return of the sci-fi elements
[18:01] <Morgoth> all german living in germany ;)
[18:01] <masterdummy> peashooter for wimps
[18:01] <Milek> (it started)
[18:01] <Ubi-Nox> Hello everybody! First of all, thank you very much for your presence!
[18:01] <unacomn> A crashed ship, buried somewhere in a river of lava would be nice, just sayin.
[18:02] <Ubi-Nox> We are pleased to announce that we are now starting MMX Open Dev chat session
[18:02] <Morgoth> ok first one: will we get a hand painted world map ala mm1-5? with mystical creatures etc
[18:02] <HmmXhmm> una Definitely! A hint that there's more to this world and universe
[18:02] <Ubi-Nox> Before starting questions, we propose you to let our 3 main keyspeakers introduce themselves
[18:02] <DakotaBob> My first question: while you probably cannot announce a release date at this time, will there be detailed gameplay footage released in the near future?
[18:03] <HmmXhmm> Ubi-Nox Please, go ahead :)
[18:03] <LE-Marcus> Hello all, nice to have you all here - my name is Marcus and I am responsible for the game design of MMX
[18:03] <LE-Stephan> Hello everyone, my name is Stephan and I am the Managing Director of Limbic Entertainment. Great to meet you all. I am looking forward to talk and discuss with you about MMX!
[18:03] <LE-Stephan> I have a mixed role in MMX. On the one side I am working closely with the Ubi production team mainly discussing many of the production related topics. On the other side I am in close contact with the team leads here at Limbic Entertainment basically following the progress of the development.
[18:03] <LE-Stephan> and I know how to copy & paste!
[18:03] <Goddy> ))
[18:03] <Ubi-Nox> :)
[18:03] <Marzhin93> Hi, I'm Julien Pirou, I'm the creative designer and writer of MMXL
[18:03] <LE-Marcus> speed typing grand master
[18:04] <HmmXhmm> Hello, Marcus, Stephan and Julien :)
[18:04] <Milek> Haste
[18:04] <Ubi-Nox> Ok lets start with questions :)
[18:04] <masterdummy> How?
[18:04] <LE-Larissa> Shall we start with Morgoths question? Hand painted world map? ;)
[18:04] <Morgoth> hi :)
[18:04] <Ubi_Irina> the first question came from DakotaBobMy
[18:04] <Morgoth> gerne ;)
[18:04] <HmmXhmm> Yes, about that cloth map...
[18:05] <Morgoth> with pleasure ;)
[18:05] <LE-Stephan> Ok, regarding the "will we see more detailed gameplay footage": Yes, we definitly plan to show "more" about MMX.
[18:05] <narupley> Question: Why hasn't there been more marketing and media hype? Nothing was even said at E3 about it, to my knowledge. Is the budget or motivation on Ubisoft's side just not there?
[18:06] <Goddy> gamescom?
[18:06] <Marzhin93> and regarding the cloth map, yes there will be one in the boxed edition, and no, it won't be the same map artwork you saw on the website :)
[18:06] <Qik> What made you decide to bring Might and Magic back. Are you longtime fans? Did Grimrock's success have any part in the decision to go back to the series tile based roots?
[18:06] <LE-Stephan> Goddy: What I can confirm is that we will be at GamesCom with MMX. ;)
[18:06] <unacomn> How are you going to design the puzzles for Might and Magic X? Will they be base on mechanisms, abstract logic, or good old fashioned riddles (which most current games avoid). I personally miss things like finding out the password to Castle Alamar, or the Vowelss Knights.
[18:06] <HmmXhmm> Also, will the art style of the map be changed a bit? The current design seen as a background picture on this very page is such a far cry from the detailed maps of old, I think you recall the World of Xeen map, it was gorgeously drawn
[18:06] <Chomik> hurt me
[18:07] <HmmXhmm> We will :)
[18:07] <Chomik> dammit
[18:07] <Chomik> I was typing
[18:07] <Chomik> 'baby dont hurt me' on another channel
[18:07] <HmmXhmm> :D
[18:07] <Chomik> when this connected and tabbed me
[18:07] <Milek> I liked the puzzle for Tomb of the Master
[18:07] <masterdummy> Etrian Odyssey is more like MM than Grimrock's
[18:08] <Morgoth> when is gamescom?
[18:08] <Marzhin93> Qik: I'm actually preparing a blog post detailing the long road that led to MMXL. That story would be a bit complex to tell here in the chat :)
[18:08] <Milek> google, 19.08 gamescom
[18:08] <Qik> nice. thanks
[18:08] <Tanir> Any chance for an Arcomage-like mini game in MMX?
[18:09] <narupley> Yes, Arcomage!
[18:09] <LE-Stephan> Narupley: Regarding your question about marketing/hype. I think our main focus right now is GamesCom. And for sure we want to make sure MMX gets attention there. Aside from this we are working on sharing more infos/insightsover the blog.
[18:09] <Milek> Arcomage!
[18:09] <Ubi-Nox> Morgorth Gamescom will handle between 21-25/08
[18:09] <masterdummy> casino?
[18:09] <arzhin93> masterdummy: I love the Etrian Odyssey (even if these games are... hard) and can't wait for EO4 to be released in English
[18:09] <Morgoth> ubi nox thx
[18:09] <Qik> I had heard about a potential september release date. Is that still the plan?
[18:09] <masterdummy> I'm playing EO2 now
[18:09] <Melnorme> Quick question: We are allowed to freely post transcripts of this chat elsewhere on the Internet, right?
[18:10] <LE-Marcus> I'll answer the puzzle question: We are planning to have a good mix of all elements unacomn mentioned. The logic puzzles will probably be dominating, but we all agreed that typing answers you had to decipher or put together from fractured information was a great feature - so will have these as well.
[18:10] <LE-Stephan> Our main goal is to give you visibility/transparency about what is happening. Aside from thsi we are following a lot of communities and forums aswell - and in fact I really think that there is already a nice "awareness" that MMX is coming.
[18:10] <Marzhin93> our current release date is "when it's done" :)
[18:10] <Goddy> arcomage!
[18:10] <Goddy> ))
[18:10] <Shukfir> Good date :)
[18:10] <unacomn> Glad to hear about the puzzles. :)
[18:10] <Milek> Will there be sci-fi elements, like The Ancients, blasters, stargates etc?
[18:11] <Marzhin93> one thing I loved in the old M&M was that riddles and puzzles were as important as battles
[18:11] <Goddy> relics? blasters? secret treasure maps? )))) dragons???
[18:11] <masterdummy> Which development stage is the game in?
[18:11] <HmmXhmm> Another question, if I may: how complicated/"multi-layered" can we expect the quests to be? Will there be any choices to make with unexpected consequences later on?
[18:11] <Noz> spoilers goddy - spoilers! :)
[18:11] <DakotaBob> Will there be a demo released for the game before it comes out?
[18:11] <Goddy> noz - just minimum cfg )))
[18:12] <Qik> when it's done translates to not anytime soon :) Is this year or next year a safer bet?
[18:12] <Morgoth> You changed the "all attack at range" to "individual attack at range" Will we still get an "all attack" button? As in MM3-5 , I love the fast gameplay vs weaker enemies of old MMs :)
[18:12] <Marzhin93> As you know MMXL will take place on Ashan so no sci-fi. But longtime players may recognize some links to the Ancient universe. And that's all I can say for now ^^
[18:12] <narupley> Rather than a demo, what about a beta testing phase? Dibs on first place =P
[18:12] <masterdummy> Dips on the last
[18:13] <HmmXhmm> Marzhin Interesting. Any plans to enrich the world of Ashan with subtle sci-fi elements in the future? :)
[18:13] <unacomn> Lore wise, how deeply are you rooting yourselves in Ashan, and how much liberty can you take in making up your own monsters, places, characters, etc. (Also, by any chance, does the game end with Ashan exploding and everyone running away to rebuild Enroth? (I really dislike Ashan as a Might and Magic setting in general :P ))
[18:13] <Chomik> It would be pretty cool if there was a demo, really, much cooler than a beta (although obviously both would be great)
[18:13] <masterdummy> How many question did you guys missed answering?
[18:13] <HmmXhmm> masterdummy Mine about the map's art design, for starters :P
[18:14] <Milek> unacomn I like the idea of destroying Ashan and going back to Antagrich
[18:14] <Ubi-Nox> masterdummy, we are trying our best to answer everything but you do have a lot of questions :p
[18:14] <LE-Stephan> Regarding ArcoMage: Straight forward: No - ArcoMage won´t be in MMX. We are focusing on a lot of other stuff (and it is really a lot) so ArcoMage is not planned.
[18:14] <LE-Marcus> Regarding the quests and the choices they offer to the player we have that here and there on a side quest level. There will be no elemental decision driving your party and/or the story towards good or bad.
[18:14] <masterdummy> I'm just teasing
[18:14] <Marzhin93> unacomm: we are staying true to the lore of Ashan, but being a RPG allows us more flexibility. It's not all about epic battles and sieges, it can be about the life of the actual people of Ashan. I think it gives quite a different perspective on that world.
[18:14] <Shukfir> Will it be possible to change difficulty level only on start or also during the game?
[18:14] <aliochou> I heard Stephan is handsome <3
[18:14] <Noz> :'( - ohh well virtual machine and MM7 it is then! :)
[18:15] <LE-Stephan> aliochou: I can confirm!
[18:15] <Qik> I read that MMXL will take place around the time of MM6. So 7-8-9 will not be relevant storywise then right?
[18:15] <narupley> Where did you read that?
[18:15] <Melnorme> It's not even in the same world...
[18:15] <Qik> It's been a while. I don't have a link available
[18:15] <narupley> lol
[18:15] <masterdummy> MMXL = MM15?
[18:15] <narupley> X Legacy
[18:15] <Goddy> what graphics engine do u use? any physics engine?
[18:16] <narupley> Unity I think
[18:16] <Marzhin93> Qik: MMXL takes place a decade after the events of H6.
[18:16] <Milek> XL = 40
[18:16] <masterdummy> Duh!
[18:16] <LE-Marcus> trick question, Qik?
[18:16] <Qik> Not a trick question :)
[18:16] <HmmXhmm> Yep, 40 :P
[18:16] <Qik> It's been a long time since I played 6 so I'm not even sure what happened in it right now
[18:17] <Melnorme> Heroes 6, not Might & Magic 6
[18:17] <Qik> ahh. I missed that
[18:17] <Milek> world from HoMM V, VI are lame
[18:17] <Qik> I enjoyed heroes 6
[18:17] <Qik> I thought it was a return to form after 4 and 5 being less than stellar
[18:17] <Goddy> will there be a town portal? meteor shower? )
[18:18] <LE-Marcus> Shukfir, we are currently not planning to allow changing the difficulty in a running game but I will note it down and check with the programmers, if its feasible.
[18:18] <Qik> Do you plan to bring back many Might and Magic chatacters from previous games?
[18:18] <LE-Stephan> masterdummy: Regarding your question "What stage of development is the game". I think we are quite advanced with most of the "core mechanics" we need. Topics we are for instance working on right now is stuff like "save games handling", "creating specific boss behaviour", "implementing spell effects"... But overall from the main mechanics a lot is
[18:18] <LE-Stephan> done - and ofc there is a lot to polish now as well. ;)
[18:18] <Qik> Say... Sheltem and Corak for instance?
[18:18] <Chomik> Is alchemy in? Do we get to brew black potions and cause horrible accidents at work in case of bad potions mixed?
[18:18] <Melnorme> Anyway, question. The Xeen game's had a sort of a "daisy chaining" element to them. You had to visit this fountain to gain this ability to be able to enter this dungeon where you learned a new ability that let you access a new area, etc
[18:18] <narupley> Question: Will you be able to fly? :o
[18:18] <Melnorme> it was sort of a core element
[18:18] <HmmXhmm> Question #3: Is there a chance of a GOG release? Might and Magic series has a lot of fans there and the portal feels ideal as far as distribution of such "old-school" games is concerned
[18:19] <LE-Stephan> In addition to your question masterdummy: The level design team is sweating the most now - they still have to build quite some levels as we speak. ;)
[18:19] <Milek> I think not, as it's other world
[18:19] <Shukfir> LE-Marcus. No-no. I mean that's good, that it's impossible to change level during the game ;)
[18:19] <narupley> Agreed with Shukfir
[18:19] <Melnorme> will MMX have that sort of gameplay?
[18:19] <LE-Marcus> No alchemy in MMX. Actually we dropped a lot of the miscelleneous skills.
[18:19] <mindx2> The trend in today's games is "accessibility" (which translate to making the game easy enough for a 3 yr old to play), how can you make this truly "old-school" content and gameplay-wise yet still keep Ubisoft happy/ assured that grandma can play it?
[18:19] <Chomik> Oh well, a shame
[18:19] <Chomik> thanks
[18:19] <narupley> Oh wow, no alchemy is a pretty big hit
[18:20] <Chomik> yes
[18:20] <Qik> Did you keep Cartography at least? :)
[18:20] <Marzhin93> as in MM6-9 cartography is automatic
[18:20] <LE-Marcus> No Meteorshowers - but we are working on realizing other awesome spells with cool effects.
[18:20] <HmmXhmm> If there's no alchemy, what, um, side activities are there besides exploration and combat?
[18:21] <Qik> Ok so I hear there are skill trees now for characters? Will there also be a way to respec those?
[18:21] <masterdummy> I keep get disconnected
[18:21] <LE-Marcus> We will have no Town Portal but a Ashan-Version of Lloyd's Beacon.
[18:21] <unacomn> Does the game track the passage of time? Like, let's say, if you go to a specific place at a specific time, maybe with a specific item, do you find a specific door that least to your office?
[18:22] <Marzhin93> Qik: Skills are handled in a very similar way to MM6-9
[18:22] <Marzhin93> so no DIablo-like skill trees
[18:22] <masterdummy> day and night time?
[18:22] <narupley> Right, you have to take into account all the little "time waster" aspects that gave the old games their addictiveness. Alchemy, building up miscellaneous skills, Arcomage, organizing inventory, etc.
[18:22] <Goddy> beacon - is cool ) almost cooler than town portal
[18:22] <Morgoth> sorry I asked that alread, is there still a way to "all attack" at range? :)
[18:22] <LE-Marcus> There are no real skill trees - we oriented the skill system mainly to MoH
[18:22] <Shukfir> By thw way, will magic schools be like in Heroes 6 or like in previous M&M games or something new?
[18:22] <LE-Marcus> Novice, Expert, Master, grandmaster
[18:22] <LE-Marcus> no respec
[18:22] <Qik> ok
[18:23] <LE-Marcus> oops
[18:23] <narupley> I think the no respect is a good thing
[18:23] <LE-Stephan> mindx2: Ok, I guess I agree about "accessibility". But I think I disgaree that "accessibility" translates into making a game trivial. If we talk about accessibility we have topics like handling and GUI in mind. For instance as much as i love Xeen games - the inventory handling is something you just wouldn´t develop nowadays.
[18:23] <narupley> *respec
[18:23] <unacomn> Although, let's face it Xeen had a better inventory than Skyrim.
[18:23] <Marzhin93> Shukfir: Magic chools are a mix of typical Ashan spells and classic M&M spells
[18:23] <Goddy> respect system didn;t wrk in mm 6 & 7
[18:23] <Goddy> so that is ok
[18:23] <Chomik> 2nd question - how are dialogues handled? Like in Xeen (click dude, get monologue), MM6-8 (click words, get monologue) or something else still? Dialogue trees, keyword input?
[18:24] <masterdummy> Is there going to be hundreds of doors to knock on in each town?
[18:24] <Rattenmann> So, what will be the things to do besites Combat and Questing then? Will we be stuck in a linear "movie", or be able to progress as we see fit?
[18:24] <narupley> I think they need some time to catch up on questions haha
[18:24] <Marzhin93> Chomik: dialogs are similar to MM6-8
[18:24] <Chomik> Thanks
[18:24] <LE-Stephan> mindx2: On top of that we want to give user´s the opportnity to get into the game. What we implemented is a "hint" system which helps you at the beginning of th game - but only if you want to. So in case you atre an M&M veteran you just hit the check box "dont show more hints" and move on....
[18:25] <LE-Marcus> *computing*
[18:25] <Qik> How much non storyline content will there be? I believe I remember reading there was about 25 hours to the main story will there be much more than that to do for exploration?
[18:25] <HmmXhmm> Any hidden dialogue words you only get if you solved a certain quest/visited a certain location?
[18:26] <Goddy> what about the "speaking party?" i mean as in Wizardry - not only comments, but speaking about what happening..
[18:26] <Goddy> (party members)
[18:26] <LE-Marcus> There is time in MMX and it is passing. We have dungeon/city time and world time which is passing per step you make. When resting or doing quick travel a larger chunk of time is passing.
[18:26] <HmmXhmm> In general, are there any/many hidden areas or secrets which are difficult to discover and require some effort?
[18:26] <Marzhin93> Qik: there are a lot of sub quests and secrets to discover outside of the main quest
[18:26] <narupley> Regarding the "hint" system: I'm assuming it's done in a similar fashion to the "tutorial islands" of previous games? Id est, I really hope there is not a quest marker or anything like that, throughout the entire game. That really kills the point of exploration.
[18:26] <LE-Marcus> But there will be no thing like the xeen desert in regards to time.
[18:26] <Morgoth> will raising skill level get more expensive as in MM6-9 , I liked that system, it made it usefull to level different skills, because the untrainend ones were cheap to get to eg expert level,
[18:27] <mindx2> LE-Stephan, no more hints sounds good but what about the "hand-holding" of modern cRPGs such as quest compasses, linear fetch quests, etc.?
[18:27] <Marzhin93> Goddy: the party in Legacy is definitely not silent :)
[18:28] <LE-Marcus> HmmXhmm: There are some dynmaic dialog lines that depend on the progress and the characters in your party.
[18:28] <Tanir> Do we get an own House/Castle/Estate like in MM7?
[18:28] <Chomik> Oh, and I hope shopkeepers still call you cheapskates when you don't buy anything
06[18:28] * Chomik shakes fist
[18:28] <Marzhin93> actually Wiz8 was a huge inspiration for the way "party barks" are handled in Legacy
[18:28] <Chomik> That's very nice to hear
[18:28] <Chomik> Very, very nice
[18:28] <mindx2> Do NPCs actually give you directions or does the location magically begin glowing on your map or big exclamation points pulsate over NPCs heads?
[18:29] <HmmXhmm> mindx2 Great question...
[18:29] <Goddy> we got company (c)
[18:30] <LE-Stephan> narupley: something we just discussed during the last weeks was about "monster healthbars". Do we want them? Does everyone want them (obviously no) but could they be helpful for "new players" (maybe yes)... So the answer is fairly easy: Make it an optional feature and let the player himself decide how much "help" he wants.
[18:30] <LE-Marcus> You are occupied with being a hero to downtrodden Tanir, there is no time for housing... ;) No we wont have that in MMX
[18:30] <Qik> Part of the attraction of the Earlier MM games was exploration. It was uncovering all of the map and finding all the content there was. The main story was one of the less interesting things to move through. It was always a fun story but the exploration I thought was what made the experience so having alot of content to do just for the sake of doing it would be great.
[18:30] <narupley> I hope there is NO such "glowing on your map" or WoW-style exclamation points over heads or anything like that. Make us explore and look for things!!
[18:30] <Marzhin93> Marcus will be able to confirm this, but I think we won't have any sort of quest compass
[18:31] <Marzhin93> however there will be some icons on the minimap showing dungeon entrances, etc. But you only see them when you're nearby.
[18:31] <HmmXhmm> Makes sense
[18:31] <narupley> Dungeon entrances and major landmarks, that totally makes sense. But hopefully nothing like "here's exactly where you need to go next to complete the quest"
[18:32] <LE-Marcus> Actually we were not planning to have some sort of quest compass for long range but to have different symbols on the minimap when you are in the vicinity of the quest location.
[18:32] <Rattenmann> Mind sharing what WILL be in the game at all? Right now i only see infos on what will not be in (and there are some sad "no's" already).
[18:32] <mindx2> Can we turn off those markers? Or only have them "turn on when near" when an NPC or found clue tells you about the location?
[18:32] <Chomik> 3rd question - Will there be class advancing and branching like in MM 7? As in, promotions + good/evil branching?
[18:32] <HmmXhmm> Can we make our own notes on the in-game map?
[18:33] <LE-Marcus> There will be advanced classes but no good/evil branching.
[18:33] <Milek> i liked that in mm8
[18:33] <Chomik> And 4th question - any word on DRM?
[18:33] <Chomik> Thanks
[18:33] <Morgoth> could a theoretical MM11 feature a late game scifi setting? or ist that forbidden from UbI?
[18:33] <Marzhin93> mindx2: one goal is to allow to turn on/off as many options as possible so players can tailor their experience
[18:33] <HmmXhmm> Chomik Shout with me: GOG version, GOG version! :)
[18:33] <LE-Stephan> mindx2: About handholding: I actually think it´s not possible to go into full "hand-holding mode" in an M&M game. We have an open world approach - it´s up to the palyer to head out and explore. So if he ends up going straight to the big monsters as a low level he will have a hard time for sure. On the contrary I think what we want to provide is so
[18:33] <LE-Stephan> me "guidance" at the beginning of the game with the goal to make all players - newbies and veterans alike - aware of their options ingame.
[18:33] <Chomik> GOG VERSION
[18:33] <Melnorme> chomik: it's an ubisoft game, what do you think
[18:33] <Tanir> How do you make sure that the game is still challenging for experienced players but not to difficult for new players?
[18:34] <Milek> GOG version
[18:34] <masterdummy> Question # 35546 how many different monsters are there? not the one with the color change.
[18:35] <Shukfir> And will monsters differ from Heroes 6?
[18:35] <Marzhin93> Morgoth: all M&M games for the time being are taking place on Ashan, so having obvious sci-fi elements will probbaly not happen
[18:35] <LE-Marcus> Tanir, we try to provide a core experience that can be mastered by every player while providing extra content in form of side quests and things to explore and unlock that are more challenging.
[18:35] <Marzhin93> *probably
[18:35] <Melnorme> oh yeah, important question
[18:36] <Melnorme> are you going to try to have different monsters in every area and every dungeon?
[18:36] <LE-Stephan> GOG version. It´s a question we (aka Limbic Entertainment) can´t answer today right here.
[18:36] <Marzhin93> Shukfir: we won't have only monsters from H6
[18:36] <mindx2> LE-Stephan- So there is no level-scaling in the game, correct? Since a low level party can get squashed by monsters they run into in more dangerous areas?
[18:36] <Melnorme> ie, not orcs everywhere
[18:36] <Melnorme> or whatever
[18:36] <HmmXhmm> How many monters can there be on a single tile? How big will the enemy groups be in general? The enemy numbers in MM6 and onwards were often pretty massive.
[18:36] <narupley> Question: Can you elaborate on what spell schools there are, and how spells differ in general from earlier games? Are there still spellbooks for example?
[18:36] <Qik> How is the AI in the game? Are the monsters easy to fool with maneuvering?
[18:36] <LE-Marcus> Without the "color-change" we roughly have more than 50 monsters
[18:36] <LE-Stephan> mindx2: correct, no scaling. If you die - come back later, be prepared and try again. ;)
[18:36] <King> Great
[18:36] <Morgoth> marzihn93 a shame, but good that you 'll put some referneces into it... :)
[18:37] <Marzhin93> HmmXhmm: like in Xeen, there can be up to 3 monsters on one single tile
[18:37] <Marzhin93> it depends on the size of the monster :)
[18:37] <unacomn> Regarding the spells, are you going to have little descriptions for the spells, like Heroes 4 did?
[18:37] <LE-Marcus> Our monsters are quite big for the tiles so most of them will come in groups not bigger than 2.
[18:37] <narupley> Question: Will resistances (e.g. fire, body, poison) still be in the game, and will they apply to both sides (both your party and to specific monsters)?
[18:37] <masterdummy> Will there be any in-joke reference like star trek?
[18:37] <mindx2> LE-Stephan, YEAH to NO LEVEL-SCALING!!!
[18:37] <Marzhin93> masterdummy: yes :)
[18:37] <LE-Marcus> Bilateral resistances are in the game.
[18:38] <King> Will there be food in the game?
[18:38] <LE-Marcus> But the resistances of course relate to the Ashan magic schools.
[18:38] <Milek> What happens after death?
[18:38] <masterdummy> which animal religion shall the people worship?
[18:38] <Grunker> "Our monsters are quite big for the tiles so most of them will come in groups not bigger than 2." - so you're saying the party rarely runs into more than 2 monsters at a time?
[18:38] <Marzhin93> King: yes, the ration mechanic is still there
[18:38] <LE-Marcus> Our food is called supplies, but yes.
[18:38] <Qik> Will there be an post game content? Will the Arena make a return? I'm also hoping for a very high level cap.
[18:38] <Qik> any post game content that is
[18:39] <narupley> Question: If you're in melee combat, can you run away? I saw in the PAX demo that once you're in melee, you're "locked" and can't move at all. I hope that isn't the case.
[18:39] <masterdummy> how about no level cap?
[18:39] <Marzhin93> Qik: once the main quest is over, you're brought back to the game's world and there will be some extra stuff to discover
[18:39] <Qik> That'd be nice masterdummy but probably unrealistic
[18:39] <Qik> awesome Marzhin
[18:40] <Melnorme> I hope once you're in melee you ARE locked
[18:40] <Marzhin93> Grunker: you can be surrounded by monsters, some can shoot you from a distance...
[18:40] <Melnorme> no kiting!
[18:40] <Shukfir> Will there be in-game books to read?
[18:40] <LE-Marcus> We decided to lock the party to enemies in melee combat. As moving consumes the turns of all characters you wouldnt be able to "shoot and run" anyways.
[18:40] <DataPack> No, kiting should be in the game..
[18:40] <LE-Stephan> Qik: About the AI: Monsters are aware about each other (buffing for isntance), monster can try to reinforce a tile. Monster try to circle you and surround you. And ofc they use ranged attacks/spells if they are some tiles away.
[18:40] <Melnorme> cool
[18:41] <Marzhin93> Shukfir: yes :)
[18:41] <HmmXhmm> Sounds good
[18:41] <HmmXhmm> Oh, hurray for books, too :)
[18:41] <Chomik> But what about visceral romance, and above all else, can I be a dragon
[18:41] <Milek> What happens after death?
[18:41] <Shukfir> Wow, that's good
[18:42] <Goddy> Milek, nobody knows
[18:42] <LE-Marcus> Death = Reload
[18:42] <Goddy> )))
[18:42] <Milek> :)
[18:42] <HmmXhmm> As it should be :P
[18:42] <Qik> Will there be spells and abilities that hit multiple tiles? Like say I'm in a narrow hallway and there are 3-4 tiles of enemies in front of me. Can I cast a wave of fire to hit all of them or is combat restricted to the tile you are facing.
[18:42] <narupley> Good good
[18:42] <LE-Stephan> King: Not sure if it was answered: Food/Resting is for sure in - better stock up before adventuring in the wilderness. ;)
[18:42] <DakotaBob> will the boxed version sell at the same time as the digital download and how much will it be estimated to cost?
[18:42] <Marzhin93> Qik: yes :)
[18:43] <Qik> to which question!
[18:43] <Marzhin93> your last one
[18:43] <mindx2> If you die do you resurrect at the starting town with a gold penatly like MM6-8?
[18:43] <LE-Marcus> Yes, there are ice rings, flame burst and mass control
[18:43] <Melnorme> I believe the boxed version will only available by order through the website, not in stores. Is this true?
[18:43] <Qik> I mean I asked which way it worked :)
[18:43] <Qik> I assume you are saying you can hit multiple tiles
[18:43] <Marzhin93> yes that's what I meant
[18:43] <LE-Marcus> yes ;)
[18:43] <Qik> awesome thank you :)
[18:44] <Goddy> will there be some opportunities to win battles with help of surrounding things?
[18:44] <Qik> that adds some nice dynamics
[18:44] <Chomik> Also, 'kiting' in combat was answered, but I think there's been no answer as to whether there is a 'disengage' manoeuvre. Does that mean that running into superpowered monsters before the time is right means horrible death and defeat no matter what?
[18:44] <masterdummy> Will the charterer appearance change in the world with the equipment change?
[18:44] <Qik> will there still be eradications?
[18:44] <LE-Marcus> We don't have kicking enemies into spikes ... ;)
[18:44] <Goddy> shi~
[18:44] <Qik> well I can't buy it if we can't kick enemies into spikes
[18:45] <Goddy> ))))
[18:45] <HmmXhmm> Haha
[18:45] <Marzhin93> Goddy: some battles will definitely force the player to adapt to his environment. And that's all I can say for now ^^
[18:45] <unacomn> But do you have kicking down walls?
[18:45] <Goddy> marzhin thnx )
[18:45] <Milek> and what about the main story? do we start as group of unknown people who get involved in a big thing?
01[18:45] <zapp> In general will there be breakable objects and hidden areas?
[18:46] <Goddy> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrNArXxO59U
[18:46] <Qik> How many people do you have working on MMXL?
[18:46] <narupley> I agree with Chomik. What if you accidentally wander into a super-overpowered monster? Are you just completely screwed and there's nothing you can do? I understand about the "no shoot and run", but what about just running?
[18:46] <Goddy> some perfect ost
[18:46] <Goddy> )))
[18:46] <LE-Stephan> About versions/price - no answers from us here and now - sorry. ;)
[18:46] <Marzhin93> Milek: mostly yes. You are not the Chosen Ones. Just a group of Raiders that will make a difference.
[18:46] <Melnorme> Great.
[18:46] <Milek> awesome
[18:47] <LE-Marcus> There "secret" locations and other objects you need to overcome. Instead of just letting you bash them there can be challenges of the three attributes might (bashing), magic (dispelling) or perception (manipulating).
[18:47] <Goddy> some kinda fable?
[18:47] <Milek> will we save the world?
[18:47] <unacomn> Sadly, yes.
[18:48] <Melnorme> lol
[18:48] <Marzhin93> Milek: no.
[18:48] <Chomik> D:
[18:48] <Milek> oh...
[18:48] <Marzhin93> But prevent some bad stuff to happen? If you're good enough :)
[18:48] <narupley> lol, that's fine by me
[18:48] <HmmXhmm> How varied will the terrain be? Can we expect to see slopes, canyons? Can we see certain reachable objects from a distance? Or do you mostly wander along a single plane?
[18:48] <narupley> Saving the world is overrated.
[18:48] <Melnorme> good question about the terrain
[18:48] <Milek> and will there be biomes?
[18:48] <Melnorme> it's kind of cool when these grid-based games "transcend" their grid-based nature
[18:49] <Melnorme> and show something that isn't boxes
[18:49] <Milek> dead ground, meadows, forests, icy grounds
[18:49] <Qik> Can you tell us anything about any new features you are excited about?
[18:49] <masterdummy> Will there an answer to a question that hasn't been asked?
[18:49] <Marzhin93> narupley: I agree, and that's where taking place on "just" a peninsula is actually a good thing. It forces us to keep things "local" :)
[18:49] <LE-Marcus> from a structural point of view there will be slopes and cliffs but no bulges.
[18:49] <Brolsorro> I would like to know, first of all, updating, correcting bugs M & M Heroes 6 will continue or whether it is certainly you decide to take a thorough development of the game M & M Legacy X?
[18:50] <Marzhin93> masterdummy: the answer to that question is 42
[18:50] <LE-Larissa> ---- [Reminder] We are finishing in 10 minutes - Please ask a last question, so that the devs still have time to answer, before the chat closes. ----
[18:50] <LE-Marcus> There are landmarks you can see from quite far away.
[18:50] <narupley> Reiterating some of my previous questions that never got answered...
[18:50] <narupley> Question: Can you elaborate on what spell schools there are, and how spells differ in general from earlier games? Are there still spellbooks for example?
[18:50] <unacomn> Any over-arching grand puzzle, like the obelisks?
[18:50] <LE-Stephan> Qik: Here at Limbic Entertainment we have ~18 people on the project. In addition we are geting a lot of support from external partners (QC, art, music, sound, etc).
[18:50] <DakotaBob> will you be able to select from a wide variety of voices for the characters like MM6-9?
[18:50] <Goddy> Thank you!!! Wish you a best of luck and to make a great comeback of Might&Magic! ^_^
[18:50] <narupley> Also: What if you accidentally wander into a super-overpowered monster? Are you just completely screwed and there's nothing you can do? I understand about the "no shoot and run", but what about just running?
[18:51] <Qik> thanks Stephan
[18:51] <Marzhin93> Qik: one thing I love in Legacy is that we have some "Might" abilities as well, like for instance one character covering his companions with his shield, etc.
[18:51] <King> When can we expect to see a detailed gameplay video of M&M X?
[18:51] <Marzhin93> a bit like in Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
[18:51] <LE-Marcus> Sometimes you will be able to get away and sometimes you will probably need to load a saved game narupley.
[18:51] <masterdummy> Is the inventory space fixed?
[18:52] <narupley> I think so yes, masterdummy
[18:52] <narupley> Otherwise there would be no need for the mule
[18:52] <Marzhin93> masterdummy: yes but the Mule hireling allows you to expand it
[18:52] <Qik> I missed playing that wizardry.
[18:52] <LE-Marcus> Inventory is fixed but "expendable"...
[18:52] <Qik> but that sounds very nice
[18:52] <Melnorme> Reposting my earlier question: Is the game structured so that you need to progressively unlock exploration abilities (levitation, mountaineering, stuff like that) to slowly uncover world, with the ability to bypass such limitations if you're clever enough? (for example with a temporary fountain boost)
[18:52] <masterdummy> How many mules can I take?
[18:52] <HmmXhmm> What will the Mule require as a form of payment? Gold or carrots? :)
[18:52] <Marzhin93> Qik: it was on the PS2. Old-chool dungeon crawling, but well done.
[18:52] <Grunker> Good question Melnorme
[18:53] <Goddy> Qik - Wizardry 8 is cool as M&M ))
[18:53] <LE-Marcus> Melnorme, we will have something similar.
[18:53] <HmmXhmm> Melnorme, great question!
[18:53] <Goddy> bb 2 all
[18:53] <Melnorme> OK
[18:53] <Qik> So since the chat is winding down I'd like to say thanks to you guys for answering our questions. You sound like a good group of people and I hope you do well. I would love nothing more than for MM to make a nice comback and inspire more games of this type.
[18:53] <masterdummy> Can I put mule inside a mule?
[18:53] <Melnorme> because it won't be might & magic if it's just a game where you wander around from dungeon to dungeon clearing them
[18:53] <Melnorme> it needs to be a bit more complex than that
[18:54] <Qik> I played 8. I don't think 8 was the one he mentioned was it?
[18:54] <Marzhin93> masterdummy: we won't have mule breeding mechanics, sorry :)
[18:54] <Chomik> bummer
[18:54] <Chomik> no mule romance, no deal
[18:55] <Qik> I run a stream on twitch at twitch.tv/qik1 I have about 4500 followers and I would love to help out with any Might and Magic promotion if you guys wanted. I will definately be streaming it when it releases.
[18:55] <Marzhin93> unacomm: Obelisk puzzle is in ;)
[18:55] <masterdummy> I like elephants, they can carry more
[18:55] <LE-Marcus> You expand your reach by story progress (something becomes locked/unlocked), exploration abilities (you can only pass if you have a certain ability) and finally your partie's might - if you are too weak you might not be bale to cross a certain point guarded by powerful monsters.
[18:55] <Ubi-Nox> Qik, thank you very much for your support!! We keep this offer in mind ;)
[18:55] <Qik> You're welcome and thank you!
[18:55] <masterdummy> Answer to the trick question: Same middle name
[18:56] <mindx2> Last thought, though I know you can't answer now, but I WANT A COLLECTOR'S EDITION PHYSICAL BOXED version with maps, trinkets, etc!!!! I'll pay extra!! ..... pretty please :)
[18:56] <masterdummy> thanks for talking to us
[18:56] <Qik> I must be off to play some Borderlands 2 now. Have a good day everyone.
[18:56] <LE-Stephan> Mindx2: Duly noted. ;)
[18:56] <masterdummy> what is the price?
[18:56] <Marzhin93> mindx2: the boxed edition will definitely contain some cool stuff, but that's all I'll say ;)
[18:57] <Marzhin93> so only 3 minutes left :) any more questions?
[18:57] <Milek> I think it's gonna be "shut up and take my money" for me
[18:57] <HmmXhmm> Thank your for your time and answering our questions. Please, do something with that world map. :P
[18:57] <LE-Marcus> :)
[18:57] <Chomik> Yes, world map needs more sphynxes
[18:57] <Melnorme> hmm
[18:58] <Melnorme> xeen had a thing where it paid to delay taking bonuses
[18:58] <Milek> and pyramids
[18:58] <Melnorme> because it cost more to upgrade your skills at high levels
[18:58] <King> And skeletons, sea serpents...
[18:58] <Kaw> Will the freemage be able to GM spells?
[18:58] <masterdummy> Will you announce the Gold stage?
[18:58] <Milek> zombies and trolls
[18:58] <Marzhin93> Kaw: the Freemage can GM a few magic schools, yes
[18:58] <Tanir> Do you have some sort of codex or library ingame, where books or other lore information is stored?
[18:59] <Marzhin93> Tanir: yes :)
[18:59] <mindx2> Stop by RPGCodex and you'll get some great suggestions on what to avoid ;) Hope to see you stop by...
[18:59] <DataPack> Will Arcomage be returning?
[18:59] <narupley> DataPack: Nope
[18:59] <Grunker> They said no datapack
[18:59] <HmmXhmm> Unfortunately not
[18:59] <HmmXhmm> No alchemy, either
[18:59] <Milek> yeah. you can always download one made by fans
[18:59] <DataPack> ._.
[18:59] <Grunker> Milek: Well, the important thing was an arcomage tourney in the game
[18:59] <Grunker> maybe as a mod or DLC
[19:00] <Milek> http://www.gatewayheaven.com/projects/arcomage/
[19:00] <Grunker> I suppose
03[19:00] * LE-Lore changes topic to 'Thanks for contributing to our dev chat and asking lots of interesting and challenging questions! Today's chat is over now, but we will post a sum-up on the dev blog. See you soon! ;) [The channel will be shut down just now. Bye bye!]'
[19:00] <LE-Stephan> RPGCodex is visited quite frequently - no worries. :)
[19:00] <Tanir> Thank you all for your answers! :)
[19:00] <Kaw> Hmm. I dunno the only advantage the old magic classes had in previous ones was that it could GM every school. It was useless in combat so without that no one would have picked it.
[19:00] <Melnorme> awesome
[19:00] <LE-Larissa> Thank you all! See you on the blog! :)
[19:00] <LE-Marcus> Thanks for joining the chat guys! goodbye!
[19:00] <Melnorme> Bye
[19:00] <Milek> bye
[19:00] <DataPack> Bye
[19:00] <DakotaBob> cheers!
[19:00] <Ubi_Irina> thank you guys!
[19:00] <Ubi-Nox> Thank you all for your participation :)
[19:00] <Chomik> mazel tov
[19:00] <Marzhin93> bye everyone! thank you for coming :)
[19:00] <LE-Stephan> Thanks - take care and hope to talk to all of you again!
[19:00] <narupley> Thanks all
[19:00] <LE-Marcus> @ the german guys: Danke für Euer Interesse! Macht's gut!
[19:00] <Kaw> Well thanks :) bye
[19:00] <HmmXhmm> Thank you and good luck with the game!
[19:00] <Ubi-Nox> Hope see you again :)
[19:00] <DakotaBob> look forward to following the developemnt of the game =)
[19:00] <LE-Lore> thanks for being here, see you :)

<LE-Stephan> RPGCodex is visited quite frequently - no worries. :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Right, here's the log. I forgot to start recording at the beginning, but there wasn't anything worthwhile there anyway.

**** BEGIN LOGGING AT Wed Jul 10 18:10:16 2013

lip 10 18:10:19 <Goddy> arcomage!
lip 10 18:10:21 <Goddy> ))
lip 10 18:10:29 <Shukfir> Good date :)
lip 10 18:10:34 <unacomn> Glad to hear about the puzzles. :)
lip 10 18:10:54 <Milek> Will there be sci-fi elements, like The Ancients, blasters, stargates etc?
lip 10 18:10:57 * Budd (Budd@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:10:58 <Marzhin93> one thing I loved in the old M&M was that riddles and puzzles were as important as battles
lip 10 18:11:09 <Goddy> relics? blasters? secret treasure maps? )))) dragons???
lip 10 18:11:28 <masterdummy> Which development stage is the game in?
lip 10 18:11:29 <HmmXhmm> Another question, if I may: how complicated/"multi-layered" can we expect the quests to be? Will there be any choices to make with unexpected consequences later on?
lip 10 18:11:30 <Noz> spoilers goddy - spoilers! :)
lip 10 18:11:37 <DakotaBob> Will there be a demo released for the game before it comes out?
lip 10 18:11:52 <Goddy> noz - just minimum cfg )))
lip 10 18:11:57 <Qik> when it's done translates to not anytime soon :) Is this year or next year a safer bet?
lip 10 18:12:05 <Morgoth> You changed the "all attack at range" to "individual attack at range" Will we still get an "all attack" button? As in MM3-5 , I love the fast gameplay vs weaker enemies of old MMs :)
lip 10 18:12:08 <Marzhin93> As you know MMXL will take place on Ashan so no sci-fi. But longtime players may recognize some links to the Ancient universe. And that's all I can say for now ^^
lip 10 18:12:08 <narupley> Rather than a demo, what about a beta testing phase? Dibs on first place =P
lip 10 18:12:21 * mindx2 (mindx2@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:12:22 <masterdummy> Dips on the last
lip 10 18:13:02 <HmmXhmm> @Marzhin Interesting. Any plans to enrich the world of Ashan with subtle sci-fi elements in the future? :)
lip 10 18:13:07 <unacomn> Lore wise, how deeply are you rooting yourselves in Ashan, and how much liberty can you take in making up your own monsters, places, characters, etc. (Also, by any chance, does the game end with Ashan exploding and everyone running away to rebuild Enroth? (I really dislike Ashan as a Might and Magic setting in general :P ))
lip 10 18:13:09 <Chomik> It would be pretty cool if there was a demo, really, much cooler than a beta (although obviously both would be great)
lip 10 18:13:24 <masterdummy> How many question did you guys missed answering?
lip 10 18:13:34 * aliochou (aliochou@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:13:51 <HmmXhmm> masterdummy Mine about the map's art design, for starters :P
lip 10 18:14:05 <Milek> unacomn I like the idea of destroying Ashan and going back to Antagrich
lip 10 18:14:06 <Ubi-Nox> masterdummy, we are trying our best to answer everything but you do have a lot of questions :p
lip 10 18:14:14 <LE-Stephan> Regarding ArcoMage: Straight forward: No - ArcoMage won´t be in MMX. We are focusing on a lot of other stuff (and it is really a lot) so ArcoMage is not planned.
lip 10 18:14:20 <LE-Marcus> Regarding the quests and the choices they offer to the player we have that here and there on a side quest level. There will be no elemental decision driving your party and/or the story towards good or bad.
lip 10 18:14:36 <masterdummy> I'm just teasing
lip 10 18:14:47 <Marzhin93> unacomm: we are staying true to the lore of Ashan, but being a RPG allows us more flexibility. It's not all about epic battles and sieges, it can be about the life of the actual people of Ashan. I think it gives quite a different perspective on that world.
lip 10 18:14:47 <Shukfir> Will it be possible to change difficulty level only on start or also during the game?
lip 10 18:14:48 * DataPack (DataPack@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:14:49 <aliochou> I heard Stephan is handsome <3
lip 10 18:14:52 <Noz> :'( - ohh well virtual machine and MM7 it is then! :)
lip 10 18:15:05 <LE-Stephan> aliochou: I can confirm!
lip 10 18:15:06 <Qik> I read that MMXL will take place around the time of MM6. So 7-8-9 will not be relevant storywise then right?
lip 10 18:15:23 * aliochou has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:15:23 <narupley> Where did you read that?
lip 10 18:15:29 <Melnorme> It's not even in the same world...
lip 10 18:15:32 * babounet (babounet@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:15:38 <Qik> It's been a while. I don't have a link available
lip 10 18:15:41 <narupley> lol
lip 10 18:15:43 <masterdummy> MMXL = MM15?
lip 10 18:15:49 <narupley> X Legacy
lip 10 18:15:50 <Goddy> what graphics engine do u use? any physics engine?
lip 10 18:15:58 <narupley> Unity I think
lip 10 18:16:02 <Marzhin93> @Qik: MMXL takes place a decade after the events of H6.
lip 10 18:16:03 <Milek> XL = 40
lip 10 18:16:05 <masterdummy> Duh!
lip 10 18:16:08 <LE-Marcus> trick question, Qik?
lip 10 18:16:23 <Qik> Not a trick question :)
lip 10 18:16:38 <HmmXhmm> Yep, 40 :P
lip 10 18:16:43 <Qik> It's been a long time since I played 6 so I'm not even sure what happened in it right now
lip 10 18:17:01 <Melnorme> Heroes 6, not Might & Magic 6
lip 10 18:17:17 <Qik> ahh. I missed that
lip 10 18:17:18 <Milek> world from HoMM V, VI are lame
lip 10 18:17:21 * babounet has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:17:31 <Qik> I enjoyed heroes 6
lip 10 18:17:53 <Qik> I thought it was a return to form after 4 and 5 being less than stellar
lip 10 18:17:54 <Goddy> will there be a town portal? meteor shower? )
lip 10 18:18:02 <LE-Marcus> Shukfir, we are currently not planning to allow changing the difficulty in a running game but I will note it down and check with the programmers, if its feasible.
lip 10 18:18:04 <Qik> Do you plan to bring back many Might and Magic chatacters from previous games?
lip 10 18:18:20 <LE-Stephan> @masterdummy: Regarding your question "What stage of development is the game". I think we are quite advanced with most of the "core mechanics" we need. Topics we are for instance working on right now is stuff like "save games handling", "creating specific boss behaviour", "implementing spell effects"... But overall from the main mechanics a lot is
lip 10 18:18:20 <LE-Stephan> done - and ofc there is a lot to polish now as well. ;)
lip 10 18:18:26 <Qik> Say... Sheltem and Corak for instance?
lip 10 18:18:30 <Chomik> Is alchemy in? Do we get to brew black potions and cause horrible accidents at work in case of bad potions mixed?
lip 10 18:18:33 <Melnorme> Anyway, question. The Xeen game's had a sort of a "daisy chaining" element to them. You had to visit this fountain to gain this ability to be able to enter this dungeon where you learned a new ability that let you access a new area, etc
lip 10 18:18:44 <narupley> Question: Will you be able to fly? :o
lip 10 18:18:47 * Orword (Orword@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:18:49 <Melnorme> it was sort of a core element
lip 10 18:18:51 <HmmXhmm> Question #3: Is there a chance of a GOG release? Might and Magic series has a lot of fans there and the portal feels ideal as far as distribution of such "old-school" games is concerned
lip 10 18:19:09 <LE-Stephan> In addition to your question masterdummy: The level design team is sweating the most now - they still have to build quite some levels as we speak. ;)
lip 10 18:19:12 <Milek> I think not, as it's other world
lip 10 18:19:13 <Shukfir> LE-Marcus. No-no. I mean that's good, that it's impossible to change level during the game ;)
lip 10 18:19:32 <narupley> Agreed with Shukfir
lip 10 18:19:32 <Melnorme> will MMX have that sort of gameplay?
lip 10 18:19:38 <LE-Marcus> No alchemy in MMX. Actually we dropped a lot of the miscelleneous skills.
lip 10 18:19:41 <mindx2> The trend in today's games is "accessibility" (which translate to making the game easy enough for a 3 yr old to play), how can you make this truly "old-school" content and gameplay-wise yet still keep Ubisoft happy/ assured that grandma can play it?
lip 10 18:19:49 <Chomik> Oh well, a shame
lip 10 18:19:52 <Chomik> thanks
lip 10 18:19:53 <narupley> Oh wow, no alchemy is a pretty big hit
lip 10 18:19:56 <Chomik> yes
lip 10 18:19:57 <Qik> Did you keep Cartography at least? :)
lip 10 18:20:13 * masterdummy has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:20:16 <Marzhin93> as in MM6-9 cartography is automatic
lip 10 18:20:28 <LE-Marcus> No Meteorshowers - but we are working on realizing other awesome spells with cool effects.
lip 10 18:20:41 <HmmXhmm> If there's no alchemy, what, um, side activities are there besides exploration and combat?
lip 10 18:20:50 * masterdummy (masterdummy@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:21:06 <Qik> Ok so I hear there are skill trees now for characters? Will there also be a way to respec those?
lip 10 18:21:37 <masterdummy> I keep get disconnected
lip 10 18:21:42 <LE-Marcus> We will have no Town Portal but a Ashan-Version of Lloyd's Beacon.
lip 10 18:21:47 <unacomn> Does the game track the passage of time? Like, let's say, if you go to a specific place at a specific time, maybe with a specific item, do you find a specific door that least to your office?
lip 10 18:22:01 <Marzhin93> @Qik: Skills are handled in a very similar way to MM6-9
lip 10 18:22:08 <Marzhin93> so no DIablo-like skill trees
lip 10 18:22:12 <masterdummy> day and night time?
lip 10 18:22:13 <narupley> Right, you have to take into account all the little "time waster" aspects that gave the old games their addictiveness. Alchemy, building up miscellaneous skills, Arcomage, organizing inventory, etc.
lip 10 18:22:16 <Goddy> beacon - is cool ) almost cooler than town portal
lip 10 18:22:23 <Morgoth> sorry I asked that alread, is there still a way to "all attack" at range? :)
lip 10 18:22:28 <LE-Marcus> There are no real skill trees - we oriented the skill system mainly to MoH
lip 10 18:22:34 <Shukfir> By thw way, will magic schools be like in Heroes 6 or like in previous M&M games or something new?
lip 10 18:22:45 <LE-Marcus> Novice, Expert, Master, grandmaster
lip 10 18:22:47 <LE-Marcus> no respec
lip 10 18:22:55 <Qik> ok
lip 10 18:23:04 <LE-Marcus> oops
lip 10 18:23:12 <narupley> I think the no respect is a good thing
lip 10 18:23:14 <LE-Stephan> mindx2: Ok, I guess I agree about "accessibility". But I think I disgaree that "accessibility" translates into making a game trivial. If we talk about accessibility we have topics like handling and GUI in mind. For instance as much as i love Xeen games - the inventory handling is something you just wouldn´t develop nowadays.
lip 10 18:23:16 <narupley> *respec
lip 10 18:23:41 <unacomn> Although, let's face it Xeen had a better inventory than Skyrim.
lip 10 18:23:41 <Marzhin93> @Shukfir: Magic chools are a mix of typical Ashan spells and classic M&M spells
lip 10 18:23:47 <Goddy> respect system didn;t wrk in mm 6 & 7
lip 10 18:23:53 <Goddy> so that is ok
lip 10 18:23:53 <Chomik> 2nd question - how are dialogues handled? Like in Xeen (click dude, get monologue), MM6-8 (click words, get monologue) or something else still? Dialogue trees, keyword input?
lip 10 18:23:58 <masterdummy> Is there going to be hundreds of doors to knock on in each town?
lip 10 18:24:09 <Rattenmann> So, what will be the things to do besites Combat and Questing then? Will we be stuck in a linear "movie", or be able to progress as we see fit?
lip 10 18:24:32 <narupley> I think they need some time to catch up on questions haha
lip 10 18:24:40 <Marzhin93> Chomik: dialogs are similar to MM6-8
lip 10 18:24:45 <Chomik> Thanks
lip 10 18:24:55 <LE-Stephan> mindx2: On top of that we want to give user´s the opportnity to get into the game. What we implemented is a "hint" system which helps you at the beginning of th game - but only if you want to. So in case you atre an M&M veteran you just hit the check box "dont show more hints" and move on....
lip 10 18:24:59 <LE-Marcus> *computing*
lip 10 18:25:12 <Qik> How much non storyline content will there be? I believe I remember reading there was about 25 hours to the main story will there be much more than that to do for exploration?
lip 10 18:25:30 <HmmXhmm> Any hidden dialogue words you only get if you solved a certain quest/visited a certain location?
lip 10 18:26:00 <Goddy> what about the "speaking party?" i mean as in Wizardry - not only comments, but speaking about what happening..
lip 10 18:26:17 <Goddy> (party members)
lip 10 18:26:18 <LE-Marcus> There is time in MMX and it is passing. We have dungeon/city time and world time which is passing per step you make. When resting or doing quick travel a larger chunk of time is passing.
lip 10 18:26:24 <HmmXhmm> In general, are there any/many hidden areas or secrets which are difficult to discover and require some effort?
lip 10 18:26:37 <Marzhin93> Qik: there are a lot of sub quests and secrets to discover outside of the main quest
lip 10 18:26:51 <narupley> Regarding the "hint" system: I'm assuming it's done in a similar fashion to the "tutorial islands" of previous games? Id est, I really hope there is not a quest marker or anything like that, throughout the entire game. That really kills the point of exploration.
lip 10 18:26:52 <LE-Marcus> But there will be no thing like the xeen desert in regards to time.
lip 10 18:26:52 <Morgoth> will raising skill level get more expensive as in MM6-9 , I liked that system, it made it usefull to level different skills, because the untrainend ones were cheap to get to eg expert level,
lip 10 18:27:28 <mindx2> LE-Stephan, no more hints sounds good but what about the "hand-holding" of modern cRPGs such as quest compasses, linear fetch quests, etc.?
lip 10 18:27:54 <Marzhin93> Goddy: the party in Legacy is definitely not silent :)
lip 10 18:28:10 <LE-Marcus> HmmXhmm: There are some dynmaic dialog lines that depend on the progress and the characters in your party.
lip 10 18:28:33 <Chomik> Oh, and I hope shopkeepers still call you cheapskates when you don't buy anything
lip 10 18:28:33 <Tanir> Do we get an own House/Castle/Estate like in MM7?
lip 10 18:28:34 * Chomik shakes fist
lip 10 18:28:36 <Marzhin93> actually Wiz8 was a huge inspiration for the way "party barks" are handled in Legacy
lip 10 18:28:44 <Chomik> That's very nice to hear
lip 10 18:28:49 <Chomik> Very, very nice
lip 10 18:28:54 <mindx2> Do NPCs actually give you directions or does the location magically begin glowing on your map or big exclamation points pulsate over NPCs heads?
lip 10 18:29:16 * mhm (mhm@78.146.18.254) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:29:17 * jd (jd@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:29:30 <HmmXhmm> mindx2 Great question...
lip 10 18:29:36 <Goddy> we got company (c)
lip 10 18:29:57 <LE-Stephan> narupley: something we just discussed during the last weeks was about "monster healthbars". Do we want them? Does everyone want them (obviously no) but could they be helpful for "new players" (maybe yes)... So the answer is fairly easy: Make it an optional feature and let the player himself decide how much "help" he wants.
lip 10 18:30:01 * King (King@177.18.189.241) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:30:04 <LE-Marcus> You are occupied with being a hero to downtrodden Tanir, there is no time for housing... ;) No we wont have that in MMX
lip 10 18:30:08 <Qik> Part of the attraction of the Earlier MM games was exploration. It was uncovering all of the map and finding all the content there was. The main story was one of the less interesting things to move through. It was always a fun story but the exploration I thought was what made the experience so having alot of content to do just for the sake of doing it would be great.
lip 10 18:30:11 * Goddy has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:30:13 <narupley> I hope there is NO such "glowing on your map" or WoW-style exclamation points over heads or anything like that. Make us explore and look for things!!
lip 10 18:30:25 * Goddy (Goddy@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:30:30 <Marzhin93> Marcus will be able to confirm this, but I think we won't have any sort of quest compass
lip 10 18:31:03 <Marzhin93> however there will be some icons on the minimap showing dungeon entrances, etc. But you only see them when you're nearby.
lip 10 18:31:19 <HmmXhmm> Makes sense
lip 10 18:31:44 <narupley> Dungeon entrances and major landmarks, that totally makes sense. But hopefully nothing like "here's exactly where you need to go next to complete the quest"
lip 10 18:32:11 * jd (jd@78.129.190.63) has left #mmxdev
lip 10 18:32:13 <LE-Marcus> Actually we were not planning to have some sort of quest compass for long range but to have different symbols on the minimap when you are in the vicinity of the quest location.
lip 10 18:32:16 <Rattenmann> Mind sharing what WILL be in the game at all? Right now i only see infos on what will not be in (and there are some sad "no's" already).
lip 10 18:32:31 <mindx2> Can we turn off those markers? Or only have them "turn on when near" when an NPC or found clue tells you about the location?
lip 10 18:32:38 <Chomik> 3rd question - Will there be class advancing and branching like in MM 7? As in, promotions + good/evil branching?
lip 10 18:32:55 <HmmXhmm> Can we make our own notes on the in-game map?
lip 10 18:33:05 <LE-Marcus> There will be advanced classes but no good/evil branching.
lip 10 18:33:07 <Milek> i liked that in mm8
lip 10 18:33:08 <Chomik> And 4th question - any word on DRM?
lip 10 18:33:15 <Chomik> Thanks
lip 10 18:33:20 <Morgoth> could a theoretical MM11 feature a late game scifi setting? or ist that forbidden from UbI?
lip 10 18:33:32 <Marzhin93> mindx2: one goal is to allow to turn on/off as many options as possible so players can tailor their experience
lip 10 18:33:34 <HmmXhmm> Chomik Shout with me: GOG version, GOG version! :)
lip 10 18:33:34 <LE-Stephan> mindx2: About handholding: I actually think it´s not possible to go into full "hand-holding mode" in an M&M game. We have an open world approach - it´s up to the palyer to head out and explore. So if he ends up going straight to the big monsters as a low level he will have a hard time for sure. On the contrary I think what we want to provide is so
lip 10 18:33:35 <LE-Stephan> me "guidance" at the beginning of the game with the goal to make all players - newbies and veterans alike - aware of their options ingame.
lip 10 18:33:48 <Chomik> GOG VERSION
lip 10 18:33:49 <Melnorme> chomik: it's an ubisoft game, what do you think
lip 10 18:33:51 <Tanir> How do you make sure that the game is still challenging for experienced players but not to difficult for new players?
lip 10 18:34:06 <Milek> GOG version
lip 10 18:34:43 * Hum (Hum@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:34:49 <masterdummy> Question # 35546 how many different monsters are there? not the one with the color change.
lip 10 18:35:19 <Shukfir> And will monsters differ from Heroes 6?
lip 10 18:35:20 <Marzhin93> Morgoth: all M&M games for the time being are taking place on Ashan, so having obvious sci-fi elements will probbaly not happen
lip 10 18:35:27 <LE-Marcus> Tanir, we try to provide a core experience that can be mastered by every player while providing extra content in form of side quests and things to explore and unlock that are more challenging.
lip 10 18:35:28 <Marzhin93> *probably
lip 10 18:35:41 * Grunker (Grunker@77.75.167.6) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:35:45 <Melnorme> oh yeah, important question
lip 10 18:35:57 <Melnorme> are you going to try to have different monsters in every area and every dungeon?
lip 10 18:35:57 <LE-Stephan> @GOG version. It´s a question we (aka Limbic Entertainment) can´t answer today right here.
lip 10 18:35:58 <Marzhin93> @Shukfir: we won't have only monsters from H6
lip 10 18:36:06 <mindx2> @LE-Stephan- So there is no level-scaling in the game, correct? Since a low level party can get squashed by monsters they run into in more dangerous areas?
lip 10 18:36:12 <Melnorme> ie, not orcs everywhere
lip 10 18:36:15 <Melnorme> or whatever
lip 10 18:36:17 <HmmXhmm> How many monters can there be on a single tile? How big will the enemy groups be in general? The enemy numbers in MM6 and onwards were often pretty massive.
lip 10 18:36:21 <narupley> Question: Can you elaborate on what spell schools there are, and how spells differ in general from earlier games? Are there still spellbooks for example?
lip 10 18:36:23 <Qik> How is the AI in the game? Are the monsters easy to fool with maneuvering?
lip 10 18:36:33 <LE-Marcus> Without the "color-change" we roughly have more than 50 monsters
lip 10 18:36:43 <LE-Stephan> mindx2: correct, no scaling. If you die - come back later, be prepared and try again. ;)
lip 10 18:36:47 <King> Great
lip 10 18:36:52 <Morgoth> @marzihn93 a shame, but good that you 'll put some referneces into it... :)
lip 10 18:36:57 <Marzhin93> @HmmXhmm: like in Xeen, there can be up to 3 monsters on one single tile
lip 10 18:37:04 <Marzhin93> it depends on the size of the monster :)
lip 10 18:37:05 <unacomn> Regarding the spells, are you going to have little descriptions for the spells, like Heroes 4 did?
lip 10 18:37:12 <LE-Marcus> Our monsters are quite big for the tiles so most of them will come in groups not bigger than 2.
lip 10 18:37:18 <narupley> Question: Will resistances (e.g. fire, body, poison) still be in the game, and will they apply to both sides (both your party and to specific monsters)?
lip 10 18:37:21 <masterdummy> Will there be any in-joke reference like star trek?
lip 10 18:37:29 <mindx2> @LE-Stephan, YEAH to NO LEVEL-SCALING!!!
lip 10 18:37:35 <Marzhin93> @masterdummy: yes :)
lip 10 18:37:45 <LE-Marcus> Bilateral resistances are in the game.
lip 10 18:38:00 <King> Will there be food in the game?
lip 10 18:38:13 <LE-Marcus> But the resistances of course relate to the Ashan magic schools.
lip 10 18:38:17 <Milek> What happens after death?
lip 10 18:38:22 <masterdummy> which animal religion shall the people worship?
lip 10 18:38:25 <Grunker> "Our monsters are quite big for the tiles so most of them will come in groups not bigger than 2." - so you're saying the party rarely runs into more than 2 monsters at a time?
lip 10 18:38:25 <Marzhin93> @King: yes, the ration mechanic is still there
lip 10 18:38:28 <LE-Marcus> Our food is called supplies, but yes.
lip 10 18:38:41 <Qik> Will there be an post game content? Will the Arena make a return? I'm also hoping for a very high level cap.
lip 10 18:38:55 <Qik> any post game content that is
lip 10 18:39:01 <narupley> Question: If you're in melee combat, can you run away? I saw in the PAX demo that once you're in melee, you're "locked" and can't move at all. I hope that isn't the case.
lip 10 18:39:05 <masterdummy> how about no level cap?
lip 10 18:39:21 <Marzhin93> @Qik: once the main quest is over, you're brought back to the game's world and there will be some extra stuff to discover
lip 10 18:39:39 <Qik> That'd be nice masterdummy but probably unrealistic
lip 10 18:39:45 <Qik> awesome Marzhin
lip 10 18:40:09 <Melnorme> I hope once you're in melee you ARE locked
lip 10 18:40:10 <Marzhin93> Grunker: you can be surrounded by monsters, some can shoot you from a distance...
lip 10 18:40:10 <Melnorme> no kiting!
lip 10 18:40:21 <Shukfir> Will there be in-game books to read?
lip 10 18:40:21 <LE-Marcus> We decided to lock the party to enemies in melee combat. As moving consumes the turns of all characters you wouldnt be able to "shoot and run" anyways.
lip 10 18:40:25 <DataPack> No, kiting should be in the game..
lip 10 18:40:33 <LE-Stephan> @Qik: About the AI: Monsters are aware about each other (buffing for isntance), monster can try to reinforce a tile. Monster try to circle you and surround you. And ofc they use ranged attacks/spells if they are some tiles away.
lip 10 18:40:43 <Melnorme> cool
lip 10 18:40:58 <Marzhin93> @Shukfir: yes :)
lip 10 18:40:59 <HmmXhmm> Sounds good
lip 10 18:41:25 <HmmXhmm> Oh, hurray for books, too :)
lip 10 18:41:27 <Chomik> But what about visceral romance, and above all else, can I be a dragon
lip 10 18:41:27 <Milek> What happens after death?
lip 10 18:41:28 <Shukfir> Wow, that's good
lip 10 18:41:42 * Brolsorro (Brolsorro@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:41:59 * Kaw (Kaw@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:42:08 <Goddy> Milek, nobody knows
lip 10 18:42:09 <LE-Marcus> Death = Reload
lip 10 18:42:10 <Goddy> )))
lip 10 18:42:14 <Milek> :)
lip 10 18:42:20 <HmmXhmm> As it should be :P
lip 10 18:42:21 <Qik> Will there be spells and abilities that hit multiple tiles? Like say I'm in a narrow hallway and there are 3-4 tiles of enemies in front of me. Can I cast a wave of fire to hit all of them or is combat restricted to the tile you are facing.
lip 10 18:42:22 <narupley> Good good
lip 10 18:42:23 <LE-Stephan> @King: Not sure if it was answered: Food/Resting is for sure in - better stock up before adventuring in the wilderness. ;)
lip 10 18:42:37 <DakotaBob> will the boxed version sell at the same time as the digital download and how much will it be estimated to cost?
lip 10 18:42:48 <Marzhin93> @Qik: yes :)
lip 10 18:42:59 <Qik> to which question!
lip 10 18:43:03 <Marzhin93> your last one
lip 10 18:43:04 <mindx2> If you die do you resurrect at the starting town with a gold penatly like MM6-8?
lip 10 18:43:12 <LE-Marcus> Yes, there are ice rings, flame burst and mass control
lip 10 18:43:19 <Melnorme> I believe the boxed version will only available by order through the website, not in stores. Is this true?
lip 10 18:43:20 <Qik> I mean I asked which way it worked :)
lip 10 18:43:30 <Qik> I assume you are saying you can hit multiple tiles
lip 10 18:43:38 <Marzhin93> yes that's what I meant
lip 10 18:43:45 <LE-Marcus> yes ;)
lip 10 18:43:53 <Qik> awesome thank you :)
lip 10 18:44:08 <Goddy> will there be some opportunities to win battles with help of surrounding things?
lip 10 18:44:09 * Kaw has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:44:09 <Qik> that adds some nice dynamics
lip 10 18:44:13 <Chomik> Also, 'kiting' in combat was answered, but I think there's been no answer as to whether there is a 'disengage' manoeuvre. Does that mean that running into superpowered monsters before the time is right means horrible death and defeat no matter what?
lip 10 18:44:25 <masterdummy> Will the charterer appearance change in the world with the equipment change?
lip 10 18:44:29 <Qik> will there still be eradications?
lip 10 18:44:35 <LE-Marcus> We don't have kicking enemies into spikes ... ;)
lip 10 18:44:46 <Goddy> shi~
lip 10 18:44:55 <Qik> well I can't buy it if we can't kick enemies into spikes
lip 10 18:45:01 <Goddy> ))))
lip 10 18:45:02 <HmmXhmm> Haha
lip 10 18:45:04 <Marzhin93> @Goddy: some battles will definitely force the player to adapt to his environment. And that's all I can say for now ^^
lip 10 18:45:07 <unacomn> But do you have kicking down walls?
lip 10 18:45:12 * Kaw (Kaw@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:45:25 * Hum (Hum@78.129.190.63) has left #mmxdev
lip 10 18:45:28 <Goddy> marzhin thnx )
lip 10 18:45:32 <Milek> and what about the main story? do we start as group of unknown people who get involved in a big thing?
lip 10 18:45:38 <zapp> In general will there be breakable objects and hidden areas?
lip 10 18:46:04 * Tywald (Tywald@78.129.190.63) has left #mmxdev
lip 10 18:46:07 <Goddy> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrNArXxO59U
lip 10 18:46:10 <Qik> How many people do you have working on MMXL?
lip 10 18:46:12 <narupley> I agree with Chomik. What if you accidentally wander into a super-overpowered monster? Are you just completely screwed and there's nothing you can do? I understand about the "no shoot and run", but what about just running?
lip 10 18:46:14 <Goddy> some perfect ost
lip 10 18:46:15 <Goddy> )))
lip 10 18:46:17 <LE-Stephan> @About versions/price - no answers from us here and now - sorry. ;)
lip 10 18:46:40 <Marzhin93> @Milek: mostly yes. You are not the Chosen Ones. Just a group of Raiders that will make a difference.
lip 10 18:46:47 <Melnorme> Great.
lip 10 18:46:52 <Milek> awesome
lip 10 18:46:57 <LE-Marcus> There "secret" locations and other objects you need to overcome. Instead of just letting you bash them there can be challenges of the three attributes might (bashing), magic (dispelling) or perception (manipulating).
lip 10 18:47:30 <Goddy> some kinda fable?
lip 10 18:47:42 <Milek> will we save the world?
lip 10 18:47:53 <unacomn> Sadly, yes.
lip 10 18:47:57 <Melnorme> lol
lip 10 18:47:58 * Kaw has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:48:02 <Marzhin93> @Milek: no.
lip 10 18:48:07 <Chomik> D:
lip 10 18:48:12 <Milek> oh...
lip 10 18:48:20 <Marzhin93> But prevent some bad stuff to happen? If you're good enough :)
lip 10 18:48:21 <narupley> lol, that's fine by me
lip 10 18:48:28 <HmmXhmm> How varied will the terrain be? Can we expect to see slopes, canyons? Can we see certain reachable objects from a distance? Or do you mostly wander along a single plane?
lip 10 18:48:34 <narupley> Saving the world is overrated.
lip 10 18:48:41 * Kaw (Kaw@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:48:44 <Melnorme> good question about the terrain
lip 10 18:48:52 <Milek> and will there be biomes?
lip 10 18:48:52 <Melnorme> it's kind of cool when these grid-based games "transcend" their grid-based nature
lip 10 18:48:58 <Melnorme> and show something that isn't boxes
lip 10 18:49:07 <Milek> dead ground, meadows, forests, icy grounds
lip 10 18:49:19 <Qik> Can you tell us anything about any new features you are excited about?
lip 10 18:49:28 <masterdummy> Will there an answer to a question that hasn't been asked?
lip 10 18:49:29 <Marzhin93> narupley: I agree, and that's where taking place on "just" a peninsula is actually a good thing. It forces us to keep things "local" :)
lip 10 18:49:40 <LE-Marcus> from a structural point of view there will be slopes and cliffs but no bulges.
lip 10 18:49:55 <Brolsorro> I would like to know, first of all, updating, correcting bugs M & M Heroes 6 will continue or whether it is certainly you decide to take a thorough development of the game M & M Legacy X?
lip 10 18:50:01 <Marzhin93> @masterdummy: the answer to that question is 42
lip 10 18:50:07 <LE-Larissa> ---- [Reminder] We are finishing in 10 minutes - Please ask a last question, so that the devs still have time to answer, before the chat closes. ----
lip 10 18:50:13 <LE-Marcus> There are landmarks you can see from quite far away.
lip 10 18:50:36 <narupley> Reiterating some of my previous questions that never got answered...
lip 10 18:50:38 <narupley> Question: Can you elaborate on what spell schools there are, and how spells differ in general from earlier games? Are there still spellbooks for example?
lip 10 18:50:38 <unacomn> Any over-arching grand puzzle, like the obelisks?
lip 10 18:50:40 <LE-Stephan> @Qik: Here at Limbic Entertainment we have ~18 people on the project. In addition we are geting a lot of support from external partners (QC, art, music, sound, etc).
lip 10 18:50:51 <DakotaBob> will you be able to select from a wide variety of voices for the characters like MM6-9?
lip 10 18:50:53 <Goddy> Thank you!!! Wish you a best of luck and to make a great comeback of Might&Magic! ^_^
lip 10 18:50:53 <narupley> Also: What if you accidentally wander into a super-overpowered monster? Are you just completely screwed and there's nothing you can do? I understand about the "no shoot and run", but what about just running?
lip 10 18:50:56 * Kaw has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:51:13 <Qik> thanks Stephan
lip 10 18:51:16 <Marzhin93> @Qik: one thing I love in Legacy is that we have some "Might" abilities as well, like for instance one character covering his companions with his shield, etc.
lip 10 18:51:24 <King> When can we expect to see a detailed gameplay video of M&M X?
lip 10 18:51:30 <Marzhin93> a bit like in Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
lip 10 18:51:36 <LE-Marcus> Sometimes you will be able to get away and sometimes you will probably need to load a saved game narupley.
lip 10 18:51:47 <masterdummy> Is the inventory space fixed?
lip 10 18:51:58 * Kaw (Kaw@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:52:03 <narupley> I think so yes, masterdummy
lip 10 18:52:11 <narupley> Otherwise there would be no need for the mule
lip 10 18:52:13 <Marzhin93> @masterdummy: yes but the Mule hireling allows you to expand it
lip 10 18:52:15 <Qik> I missed playing that wizardry.
lip 10 18:52:21 <LE-Marcus> Inventory is fixed but "expendable"...
lip 10 18:52:22 <Qik> but that sounds very nice
lip 10 18:52:35 <Melnorme> Reposting my earlier question: Is the game structured so that you need to progressively unlock exploration abilities (levitation, mountaineering, stuff like that) to slowly uncover world, with the ability to bypass such limitations if you're clever enough? (for example with a temporary fountain boost)
lip 10 18:52:41 <masterdummy> How many mules can I take?
lip 10 18:52:41 <HmmXhmm> What will the Mule require as a form of payment? Gold or carrots? :)
lip 10 18:52:43 <Marzhin93> @Qik: it was on the PS2. Old-chool dungeon crawling, but well done.
lip 10 18:52:52 <Grunker> Good question Melnorme
lip 10 18:53:00 * Kaw has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:53:14 * Kaw (Kaw@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:53:15 <Goddy> Qik - Wizardry 8 is cool as M&M ))
lip 10 18:53:17 <LE-Marcus> Melnorme, we will have something similar.
lip 10 18:53:17 <HmmXhmm> Melnorme, great question!
lip 10 18:53:23 <Goddy> bb 2 all
lip 10 18:53:36 <Melnorme> OK
lip 10 18:53:37 <Qik> So since the chat is winding down I'd like to say thanks to you guys for answering our questions. You sound like a good group of people and I hope you do well. I would love nothing more than for MM to make a nice comback and inspire more games of this type.
lip 10 18:53:45 <masterdummy> Can I put mule inside a mule?
lip 10 18:53:49 <Melnorme> because it won't be might & magic if it's just a game where you wander around from dungeon to dungeon clearing them
lip 10 18:53:54 <Melnorme> it needs to be a bit more complex than that
lip 10 18:53:57 <Qik> I played 8. I don't think 8 was the one he mentioned was it?
lip 10 18:54:06 <Marzhin93> @masterdummy: we won't have mule breeding mechanics, sorry :)
lip 10 18:54:12 <Chomik> bummer
lip 10 18:54:18 <Chomik> no mule romance, no deal
lip 10 18:55:00 <Qik> I run a stream on twitch at twitch.tv/qik1 I have about 4500 followers and I would love to help out with any Might and Magic promotion if you guys wanted. I will definately be streaming it when it releases.
lip 10 18:55:01 <Marzhin93> @unacomm: Obelisk puzzle is in ;)
lip 10 18:55:03 <masterdummy> I like elephants, they can carry more
lip 10 18:55:05 <LE-Marcus> You expand your reach by story progress (something becomes locked/unlocked), exploration abilities (you can only pass if you have a certain ability) and finally your partie's might - if you are too weak you might not be bale to cross a certain point guarded by powerful monsters.
lip 10 18:55:36 <Ubi-Nox> @Qik, thank you very much for your support!! We keep this offer in mind ;)
lip 10 18:55:49 <Qik> You're welcome and thank you!
lip 10 18:55:54 <masterdummy> Answer to the trick question: Same middle name
lip 10 18:55:54 * Orword has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:56:07 <mindx2> Last thought, though I know you can't answer now, but I WANT A COLLECTOR'S EDITION PHYSICAL BOXED version with maps, trinkets, etc!!!! I'll pay extra!! ..... pretty please :)
lip 10 18:56:11 <masterdummy> thanks for talking to us
lip 10 18:56:25 <Qik> I must be off to play some Borderlands 2 now. Have a good day everyone.
lip 10 18:56:28 <LE-Stephan> mindx2: Duly noted. ;)
lip 10 18:56:35 <masterdummy> what is the price?
lip 10 18:56:37 * Kaw has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:56:43 * Rattenmann has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 18:56:49 <Marzhin93> mindx2: the boxed edition will definitely contain some cool stuff, but that's all I'll say ;)
lip 10 18:56:58 * Kaw (Kaw@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 18:57:21 <Marzhin93> so only 3 minutes left :) any more questions?
lip 10 18:57:24 <Milek> I think it's gonna be "shut up and take my money" for me
lip 10 18:57:34 <HmmXhmm> Thank your for your time and answering our questions. Please, do something with that world map. :P
lip 10 18:57:34 <LE-Marcus> :)
lip 10 18:57:46 <Chomik> Yes, world map needs more sphynxes
lip 10 18:57:47 <Melnorme> hmm
lip 10 18:58:01 <Melnorme> xeen had a thing where it paid to delay taking bonuses
lip 10 18:58:04 <Milek> and pyramids
lip 10 18:58:08 <Melnorme> because it cost more to upgrade your skills at high levels
lip 10 18:58:14 <King> And skeletons, sea serpents...
lip 10 18:58:15 <Kaw> Will the freemage be able to GM spells?
lip 10 18:58:16 <masterdummy> Will you announce the Gold stage?
lip 10 18:58:22 <Milek> zombies and trolls
lip 10 18:58:25 * Qik has quit (Quit: )
lip 10 18:58:42 <Marzhin93> @Kaw: the Freemage can GM a few magic schools, yes
lip 10 18:58:43 <Tanir> Do you have some sort of codex or library ingame, where books or other lore information is stored?
lip 10 18:59:00 <Marzhin93> @Tanir: yes :)
lip 10 18:59:09 <mindx2> Stop by RPGCodex and you'll get some great suggestions on what to avoid ;) Hope to see you stop by...
lip 10 18:59:10 <DataPack> Will Arcomage be returning?
lip 10 18:59:18 <narupley> DataPack: Nope
lip 10 18:59:18 <Grunker> They said no @datapack
lip 10 18:59:22 <HmmXhmm> Unfortunately not
lip 10 18:59:29 <HmmXhmm> No alchemy, either
lip 10 18:59:31 <Milek> yeah. you can always download one made by fans
lip 10 18:59:38 <DataPack> ._.
lip 10 18:59:40 * Brolsorro (Brolsorro@78.129.190.63) has left #mmxdev
lip 10 18:59:52 <Grunker> @Milek: Well, the important thing was an arcomage tourney in the game
lip 10 18:59:56 <Grunker> maybe as a mod or DLC
lip 10 18:59:58 <Milek> http://www.gatewayheaven.com/projects/arcomage/
lip 10 18:59:58 <Grunker> I suppose
lip 10 19:00:01 * LE-Lore has changed the topic to: Thanks for contributing to our dev chat and asking lots of interesting and challenging questions! Today's chat is over now, but we will post a sum-up on the dev blog. See you soon! ;) [The channel will be shut down just now. Bye bye!]
lip 10 19:00:03 <LE-Stephan> RPGCodex is visited quite frequently - no worries. :)
lip 10 19:00:09 <Tanir> Thank you all for your answers! :)
lip 10 19:00:09 <Kaw> Hmm. I dunno the only advantage the old magic classes had in previous ones was that it could GM every school. It was useless in combat so without that no one would have picked it.
lip 10 19:00:10 <Melnorme> awesome
lip 10 19:00:11 <LE-Larissa> Thank you all! See you on the blog! :)
lip 10 19:00:13 <LE-Marcus> Thanks for joining the chat guys! goodbye!
lip 10 19:00:17 <Melnorme> Bye
lip 10 19:00:19 <Milek> bye
lip 10 19:00:20 <DataPack> Bye
lip 10 19:00:22 <DakotaBob> cheers!
lip 10 19:00:24 <Ubi_Irina> thank you guys!
lip 10 19:00:25 <Ubi-Nox> Thank you all for your participation :)
lip 10 19:00:25 <Chomik> mazel tov
lip 10 19:00:28 <Marzhin93> bye everyone! thank you for coming :)
lip 10 19:00:30 <LE-Stephan> Thanks - take care and hope to talk to all of you again!
lip 10 19:00:31 <narupley> Thanks all
lip 10 19:00:31 <LE-Marcus> @ the german guys: Danke für Euer Interesse! Macht's gut!
lip 10 19:00:34 <Kaw> Well thanks :) bye
lip 10 19:00:38 <HmmXhmm> Thank you and good luck with the game!
lip 10 19:00:38 * DataPack (DataPack@78.129.190.63) has left #mmxdev
lip 10 19:00:39 * twofoldsilence (twofoldsilenc@78.129.190.63) has joined #mmxdev
lip 10 19:00:40 <Ubi-Nox> Hope see you again :)
lip 10 19:00:43 <DakotaBob> look forward to following the developemnt of the game =)
lip 10 19:00:44 * Grunker has quit (Quit: HydraIRC -> http://www.hydrairc.com <- Go on, try it!)
lip 10 19:00:48 <LE-Lore> thanks for being here, see you :)
lip 10 19:00:52 * Xtra has quit (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand crafted IRC client)
lip 10 19:00:55 * King has quit (Quit: )
lip 10 19:00:55 * Kaw (Kaw@78.129.190.63) has left #mmxdev

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here was some relevant info that I was able to get from the devs (also posted in the main MMX thread):

Their answers were actually encouraging. They stated NO LEVEL-SCALING, if you go too far when your a low level party you will die... NO QUEST COMPASS, however map markers will appear when you are close to quest areas, dungeons, etc... you can turn off some "hand-holding" options but they didn't specify exactly which ones except "hints" given at the beginning of the game.

Last two bits of info that I liked was that there will be a physical Collector's Edition available and that the devs stated they frequent our prestigious magazine site regularly... :thumbsup:

zappater

Novice
So if anyone missed it, post #3 now contains all questions and answers in a Q/A form. In total 66 questions.
No need to read the unedited chatlog unless you want to realize how much decline there is in this world.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So if anyone missed it, post #3 now contains all questions and answers in a Q/A form. In total 66 questions.
No need to read the unedited chatlog unless you want to realize how much decline there is in this world.

:bro: Updated OP.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good, good. It all sounds very good, especially that they focus on puzzles/riddles/etc. as much as combat! Puzzles are one of my favorite things in RPGs.

I'm also glad Julien Pirou's fond of Etrian Odyssey; it's the closest to the M&M feel among non-M&M games that I've played.

And the Wiz8 inspiration for party banter, cool.

Also Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
:incline:

Also great question Infinitron

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
thank you, for the Q&A!

I like that they involve fans, on the other hand game design should not be a democratic fan process.

I'm a programmer/software designer myself and if my customers would do the deeper design stuff my programs would be a bloody mess.

Customer: Requirements and requests
Developer: Design and implementation
Chief game designer: Game art vision and design goals

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom