Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Update: All About Character Creation

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

A particularly juicy update was posted today on the Might & Magic X Legacy open development blog. It's all about character creation - classes, races, stats, skills, the works. Here's the main part of the update:

When starting a game of Might & Magic X, you will have two options: either start right away with a default party (more details below), or you can manually choose and customize four different heroes.​

If you decide to customize each hero, the first feature you will have to pick is the race, which then defines the different classes available for heroes of that race. Each race also has their specials: Humans for example come with additional start skills, Dwarfs have more health points, Elves are more resistant and Orcs have increased critical damage.​

Also, you can select a portrait and voice for your character (for example cynical or heroic). The choices you have here depend on the class’s race and the character’s gender.​

Altogether, if you decide to create new characters instead of using the default ones, you have the following options:​

- Choose the gender of the character​
- Choose the class of the character​
- Choose the default name of the character to a name of your choice​
- Choose the portrait of the character​
- Choose the voice of the character​
- Modify the attributes, health and mana points​
- Select two additional start skills for the character in addition to the default start skills​

The class of a character gives you different skill options. Also, each class has a dedicated paragon class. In general, you can unlock the paragon class by finishing an epic quest chain, which will give you access to the Grand Master tiers and improve the character even more.​

When you start playing the game, each of the characters you created will have certain default skills on level 1, including the two additional skills chosen by you. When your character levels up, you can choose whether you want to improve the already existing skills (and which ones), or if you want your character to learn and improve other skills. By visiting trainers, your characters will even be able to learn expert, master and grandmaster skills. You will get to know more about trainers and skills in another posting that’s currently in the pipeline. :)

[...] The default party consists of a Dwarf Defender, an Orc Barbarian, an Elven Ranger, and a Human Freemage.​
default-party.png

As mentioned above, this race combination ensures that you party members have different specials, for example more health points for the Dwarf and so on. Furthermore, the default party has additional start skills. Each skill has special features on its tiers description. We will soon provide you with more information on that in a separate posting about skills and spells.​

The rest of the update describes each of the four default party members. It's nice to see such detailed information from a game that is still months away from release. I assume, of course, that everything is yet subject to change.

Zeriel

Arcane
Furthermore, the default party has additional start skills.

The hell does this mean? Pregenerated party is a difficulty slider?

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Don't think I would bother with a default party even with additional skills.
Kind of odd, guess that's for the popamole players who are not used to decent games. :kingcomrade: It's too hardz and stufz. Wah!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
." The heart and soul of a role-playing game."

No, heartb and sould of a mjulti headed monster game.

Real RPGS about role-playing one character and choosing how said character interacts with the world. That's how TRUE RPGing is.

Video games have ruined rpgs.

xemous

Arcane
free movement like in wizardry 8 and mm6 is better but harder to do

Last edited:

Pablosdog

Prophet
Looks fine to me, artwork is a little weabooish, but earlier Might and magics had pretty cartoony artwork.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, you can select a portrait and voice for your character (for example cynical or heroic).
I wish they would make something like Wizardry 8 personalities...​

Well you can get that from a Wizardry reboot. This is Might and Magic if you didn't know.

Hey, I'd like a particular series to be exactly like some other series! It's cause of people like you that we have Thief 4 being an Assassins Creed ripoff cause isn't it great when one series copies another, amirite? :M

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Altogether, if you decide to create new characters instead of using the default ones, you have the following options:​
- Choose the gender of the character​
- Choose the class of the character​
- Choose the default name of the character to a name of your choice​
- Choose the portrait of the character​
- Choose the voice of the character​
- Modify the attributes, health and mana points​
- Select two additional start skills for the character in addition to the default start skills​
The class of a character gives you different skill options. Also, each class has a dedicated paragon class. In general, you can unlock the paragon class by finishing an epic quest chain, which will give you access to the Grand Master tiers and improve the character even more.​
When you start playing the game, each of the characters you created will have certain default skills on level 1, including the two additional skills chosen by you. When your character levels up, you can choose whether you want to improve the already existing skills (and which ones), or if you want your character to learn and improve other skills. By visiting trainers, your characters will even be able to learn expert, master and grandmaster skills. You will get to know more about trainers and skills in another posting that’s currently in the pipeline.

Sounds pretty good.

:insert moronic jab at the artwork/developers/something for extra KKK points here:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Do we know for sure if the game is free roaming or you have to go on predefined paths (rails)?

The hell does this mean? Pregenerated party is a difficulty slider?

Makes perfect sense. Pre-generated party is going to be chosen by people with less fortitude for RPGs, the same people who will need the extra help. People who know what they are doing will likely create their own and learn the rules faster.

This way you can give a little helping hand to those players who aren't as good without rubbing their crappiness in their face. That's going to help avoid unwarranted criticisms against the difficulty of the game.

grdja

Augur
Sweet, sweet character creation. And even better, party generation. The heart and soul of a role-playing game.

Pre-generated defaults are for the weak!
Bzzzzt! Wrong!

Heart and soul of blobbers and their ilk trying desperately to be computer versions of worstest hack and slash AD&D campaigns where GM knows no better than just put players in a dungeon and spam monsters and traps or just using pre-generated modules.

Are such games truer RPGs than Bioware dating sims? Dunno, they may end being better games, but still you restrict RPG genre to what it reached in 1992. and refuse all developments, good or bad, that happened in the past 20 years.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That character system looks like shit. It basically boils down to choosing your four favorite characters out of a pool of twelve. I don't think they know who their target audience is and I'm not sure they're splitting the difference correctly between "Old School" and "New Rules".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also, you can select a portrait and voice for your character (for example cynical or heroic).
Well you can get that from a Wizardry reboot. This is Might and Magic if you didn't know.
Hey, I'd like a particular series to be exactly like some other series! It's cause of people like you that we have Thief 4 being an Assassins Creed ripoff cause isn't it great when one series copies another, amirite? :M
Yeah, I can totaly see how asking them to copy one of the best uses of voice-acting is equal to saying that I want Might and Magic to be EXACTLY like Wizardry... :roll:

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
free movement like in wizardry 8 and mm6 is better but harder to do.

How's that harder to do? Those two games in particular were pretty much 2D when it came to movement, and enemies just rushed towards the party taking the shortest route they could find or stay still shooting crap at you like towers. And once they were at your face combat played pretty much like any other first person grid-based blobber.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That character system looks like shit. It basically boils down to choosing your four favorite characters out of a pool of twelve.

Where does that number come from? Race/class combinations? Because 4 races and 4 classes (which is the shittiest you can get, I guess) already means 16 options...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I can totaly see how asking them to copy one of the best uses of voice-acting is equal to saying that I want Might and Magic to be EXACTLY like Wizardry... :roll:

Who gives a rats arse what your rolled character sounds like? I play RPG's for different reasons that to hear a bunch of canned phrases when you stumble into an enemy. Next you'll be whining that it doesn't have Metro Last Light's tesselation or light rays. They should be thanking the gods that Ubishit gave them a few shekels to make the game at all and try and do that than spend the budget on fucking VO as you want. Might I direct you to this site instead where the priorities of RPG making are more in line with yours? No need to thank me. :smug:

aris

Arcane
shitty artwork. north west south style movement is just for nostalgia - free movement like in wizardry 8 and mm6 is better but harder to do. development team is amateur and looking for any contract.

this game is just a bullshit marketing gimmick.

:1/5:

You get 1 for trying extremely hard to be edgy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom