Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X: The Falcon & The Unicorn DLC Released

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
mobile-oriented title being released first on main gaming platforms.
it makes zero sense to release something mobile-oriented on everything but mobile platforms first.

It makes sense when you consider the connotations of being a mobile game. The only reason it isn't a "shitty ipad game" is because it wasn't released there yet.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
what connotations? selling like crazy? "shitty ipad game" is only a thing here and maybe a very few other places in the entire universe. the rest of the world buys ipads, iphones and ios games like crazy.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yes, that's why I'm saying the game will be released for mobile. It IS a mobile game. Just being a digital release on main gaming platforms first.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
That's p. naive. There's no stimulation to make better CRPGs because competition doesn't exist and it won't sell more, as the tiny niche of CRPG fans like the codex will just buy everything even if they're simplistic like this one.

That's exactly what happens, this is why Might and Magic Lite and Avadon Lite with a Shadowrun coat of paint sell so much on the Codex.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yes, that's why I'm saying the game will be released for mobile. It IS a mobile game. Just being a digital release on main gaming platforms first.
there's a difference between making an eventual mobile port and developing for mobiles from the start but then somewhat not releasing it due to some imaginary negative connotations of the platform likely to net them the most revenue... also i'm not sure how well co-op multiplayer works on mobiles, considering mobile connections still have a tendency to lag like hell.

then there's the thing that rayman origins (the first ubiart engine game) never got an ios port and the os x port was outsourced, rayman legends neither has ios nor os x ports and valiant hearts, which would have been perfect for mobiles isn't getting a mobile release anytime soon either.

Disgruntled

Savant
eh, not much incentive to play the dlc. The final mission did a great job in killing any desire to keep going.
Like Blackguards, this is another add on which is best played from a fresh start.

Disgruntled

Savant
yea I still dont know how mine ended exactly. Ran into a bug and didnt get act 4 officially completed.

Either way, there isnt enough replay value to justify starting over so soon.

Shadenuat

Arcane
More free dungeons?
Gosh it's really one of the best 500 potatoes I've spent

Don't have to replay game btw, just take a boat somewhere, new quest starts, go to Karthal, and plot continues.

Last edited:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't speak for Rayman Origins but as far as MMX goes It isn't incline when it barely holds a candle to games made 30 years ago...Now if they were putting actual effort into those games, that would be something.

All MMX had to do to live up to the previous titles was be better than MMIX, so that's a p. stupid argument.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Haven't played the specific game you're debating, but in The Witcher 2's case I think it's more "thinking ahead to porting it" rather than "make a console game and release it on PC two years ahead of time for no apparent reason." A small distinction perhaps, but a worthwhile one. If The Witcher 2 were made for consoles first and foremost it wouldn't have taken them so damn long to port it.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Now that the DLC is out, I hope they'll work on a worthy MM6 successor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Witcher 2 wasn't released on consoles on Day 1 because CD Projekt didn't have the funds to finish the job. They could only do it after the PC release brought them back from the brink of bankruptcy (and then some).

Obviously, Ubisoft does not share this problem.

Snozgobler

Educated
mobile-oriented title being released first on main gaming platforms.
it makes zero sense to release something mobile-oriented on everything but mobile platforms first.

It makes sense when you consider the connotations of being a mobile game. The only reason it isn't a "shitty ipad game" is because it wasn't released there yet.

I seriously think that you've overstated the importance of that point of view. If you honestly think Ubisoft care about what people think of their decisions, you've not really paid attention imo. They said something like 5% of the PC audience for their games paid for it and piracy was everywhere - Accusing your audience of theft is not something you do if you want them to like you. They are constantly told by PC users that they should ditch Uplay and just use Steam - I personally don't agree, but if they wanted to show that they listen and care about their audience/appearance, then Uplay would go.

Sure, the PC market has had a bigger focus for them in recent times, but they are still a heavily console focussed publisher and the concept of a game being "a shitty port of an iPad game" is largely exclusive to the PC market rather than the console one. Also, considering the wide ranging catalogue of games Ubisoft own, they have a very small mobile footprint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom