Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

PrettyDeadman

I only said (perhaps wrongly) that it started as a Batman title, its not as if Batman Asylum was bad and there are worst games then the Arkham ones to clone from, such as AssCred.
You said Shadow of Mordor is a Batman clone. It isn't. It may have started with Batman combat, but even if it did, it became something else. Just like you started as a chicken clone but grew into something else. You said something dumb and I called you on it. That's it.
But it didn't grew into anything. It's a techdemo with a shallow prince of persian/batman combat (there is a reason why those games weren't focused purely on combat) which becomes even more shallow as you level up, zero story (the "story" is an extended tutorial focused on teaching the player how to do "busywork" required to capture strongholds), zero exploration, empty world and pointless mechanics (gimmick focused on dying in a game where you don't die).

Still, I would probably the shit out of the sequel.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get the hype over the nemesis system. They're all just a bunch of generic orcs.
I hype it a little bit because if done correctly, in say in an rpg, it could be fun and add to the experience.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The first game was fun for a couple of hours, but fuck me the missions were shit... Those stupid slave side quests, the ridiculous main story, the uterly detestable main character(s)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But it didn't grew into anything.
Disagree. The Nemesis System added a dynamic new dimension that never existed before. The Arkham games essentially had no dynamics. All your complaints about shallow exploration and so forth may be right, but that doesn't disprove the fact that Mordor was something new.

love.png

PrettyDeadman

But it didn't grew into anything.
Disagree. The Nemesis System added a dynamic new dimension that never existed before. The Arkham games essentially had no dynamics. All your complaints about shallow exploration and so forth may be right, but that doesn't disprove the fact that Mordor was something new.

love.png
It was new and interesting, but Mordor isn't a game where you die a lot even on harder difficulties.
When you level up you become unkillable.
Nemesis system also causes some of the enemies you killed to return back, but I can't remember a random enemy I killed within 1 minute of it being introduced hours and a half ago, because in that time I killed hundreds of similar enemies, so they gibberish about meeting me again is pointless.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Agree, the nemesis system was a gimmick that always played out the same... dominate orcs to kill bigger orcs.

The batman games were much better, the stealth actually mattered, the character progression with all the gadgets was more fun, the story better told, the maps were fucking brilliant compared to the shit level design that permeated wastelands of mordor.

Martius

Liturgist
How can Shadow of Mordor be a clone when its main draw (the Nemesis system) isn't present in the Arkham games? (AFAIK, anyway--I only played Arkham Asylum.)
From what I heard combat is pretty much copy of that from Arkham games. Since there is a lot of combat I would say it counts. Also, there were rumors about canceled game by Monolith which was supposed to be tie-in for Batman movies directed by Christopher Nolan. If these are true then it makes perfect sense.

Maybe I should check it myself but after hearing from friend about how it works in practice I am not sure if its worth wasting my time. For example one orc was so stubborn that cutting his head few times was not enough to stop him from reappearing.

PrettyDeadman

This game was a clear rip off of arkham combat. It literally stole its combat

Not stolen, shared, since both devs are owned by WBI.
And arkham took it's combat from assassin's creed, all they did was make it look nicer and add chaining to it. Modern game devs as a whole are devoid of creativity recycled ideas run the show.
Assasin's Creed simply ripped off Prince of Persia Warrior: Within combat!

Last edited by a moderator:

RuySan

Augur
Don't know why every dev is ripping off a combat system which wasn't that good in the first place. Why not ripoff Metal Gear Rising Reveangance combat?

PrettyDeadman

Don't know why every dev is ripping off a combat system which wasn't that good in the first place. Why not ripoff Metal Gear Rising Reveangance combat?
People who make those decisions can't tell if combat system is good or not since they don't play the games at all. They just look at how games sell and tell developers to copy a game which sold well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People who make those decisions can't tell if combat system is good or not since they don't play the games at all. They just look at how games sell and tell developers to copy a game which sold well.
One system is hard to ape while the other is not. Anyone trying to rip off MGR combat would most likely fail.

Ranarama

Learned
How can Shadow of Mordor be a clone when its main draw (the Nemesis system) isn't present in the Arkham games? (AFAIK, anyway--I only played Arkham Asylum.)

Same genre - brawlers that interrupt fights with the same fucking cutscenes you've seen a million times. Oh and they have the stupidest boss fights imaginable. Press X to defeat Sauron.

sullynathan

Arcane
why would they rip off Rising's combat? It's even simpler and dare I say easier ,than these type of games plus Rising usually doesn't have as many enemies to fight as these games. Any way ,there are far better combat systems than the one in Rising

Ezekiel

Arcane
Metal Gear Rising's combat isn't good. It's way too automated. You press the attack button and Raiden turns and rushes the guy behind him. You tap, tap, tap, as Raiden does his stupid, flashy moves, and before you realize the guy is dead, Raiden automatically turns or rolls towards the next opponent and begins slashing him. The parry is so similar to the attack that you barely have to put any effort into parrying. The parry animation only activates when you're being attacked, so you can just spam the attack while pushing the stick towards the opponent. I'm usually pushing towards the opponent anyway. The timing is so simple most of the time. I would have rather just had a parry/block button. Being able to replenish the whole health bar with the numerous energy cells makes the combat too simplistic. I guess they expect you to play it for the high scores, but I couldn't give a shit. The freestyle cutting is a wonky leftover from the original stealth action concept, Metal Gear Solid: Rising. It doesn't work that well in an action game. I had trouble cutting certain things the way the game wanted me to. Your opponents are frozen (even in mid air) so that you can perform your crummy cutting and harvesting. The QTEs are annoying. The only way I can shake the control stick fast enough to get out of their grasp is by using my right hand. Why would you require rapidly moving left and right the clumsy digit of your non-dominant hand? It requires considerable dexterity and is bad for the analog stick. And, oh god, that camera...

I'm not saying Shadow of Mordor's combat is any better. In fact, I probably won't even play this sequel.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I smiled.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/middle-ear...of-war-microstransactions-point-and-clickbait

Sauron overwhelms Middle-earth after spending big on in-game gold

middle-earth%20shadow%20of%20war%20microtransactions%20point%20and%20clickbait.png

Evil has finally defeated Good today and Middle-Earth is now under the control of the dark lord Sauron, after the ancient evil spent more than $1500 on in-game gold to bolster his armies.

Following the announcement of new in-game purchases, Sauron was able to increase his armies at a much faster speed than the cash-strapped forces of good. Randomly generated orc followers of varying strength have since laid siege to the walls of Minas Tirith, shattered the gates of Rivendell, and razed the Shire to the ground.

Sauron explained that although the purchases were “strictly optional”, he felt that the best strategy for him personally was to take advantage of the flexibility they offered.

“It’s not unfair at all,” explained the dark lord at a war council meeting, surrounded by a variety of randomly-generated soldiers, his limbs gleaming with purchased experience bonuses.

“Everything that I’ve been doing with these purchases could also be done for free by simply fighting the war normally.”

“It’s about having options. For example, I had the option to win, because I had more money. That’s an option that was available to me, and I took it. You don’t have to like it, but that’s the free market for you.”

Although things are looking grim for what precious little light remains in this world, there may yet be some hope as Sauron appears to have temporarily maxed out his credit card.

“No comment,” explained the angry master of all evil, as bank hold music warbled gently out of the nearby Palantír.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I smiled.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/middle-ear...of-war-microstransactions-point-and-clickbait

Sauron overwhelms Middle-earth after spending big on in-game gold

middle-earth%20shadow%20of%20war%20microtransactions%20point%20and%20clickbait.png

Evil has finally defeated Good today and Middle-Earth is now under the control of the dark lord Sauron, after the ancient evil spent more than $1500 on in-game gold to bolster his armies.

Following the announcement of new in-game purchases, Sauron was able to increase his armies at a much faster speed than the cash-strapped forces of good. Randomly generated orc followers of varying strength have since laid siege to the walls of Minas Tirith, shattered the gates of Rivendell, and razed the Shire to the ground.

Sauron explained that although the purchases were “strictly optional”, he felt that the best strategy for him personally was to take advantage of the flexibility they offered.

“It’s not unfair at all,” explained the dark lord at a war council meeting, surrounded by a variety of randomly-generated soldiers, his limbs gleaming with purchased experience bonuses.

“Everything that I’ve been doing with these purchases could also be done for free by simply fighting the war normally.”

“It’s about having options. For example, I had the option to win, because I had more money. That’s an option that was available to me, and I took it. You don’t have to like it, but that’s the free market for you.”

Although things are looking grim for what precious little light remains in this world, there may yet be some hope as Sauron appears to have temporarily maxed out his credit card.

“No comment,” explained the angry master of all evil, as bank hold music warbled gently out of the nearby Palantír.
I rate this post "Funny"...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom