Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also a bunch of IGN feature previews. I actually went on IGN yesterday to look at this stuff
rating_negativeman.png

None of what I saw is that amazing. If you saw the long gameplay preview a couple months ago you won't see anything surprising here.

Minas Ithil Gameplay Walkthrough

Making of Minas Tirith

Predator Skill Tree

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is delayed from August to October 10.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War expands gameplay in every dimension, including the massive open world, the story, the RPG systems, and personal player stories of the Nemesis System. As with Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Monolith is committed to delivering the highest quality experience. In order to do this, we have made the difficult decision to move our launch date to ensure that Middle-earth: Shadow of War will deliver on that promise.

We understand that it might be disappointing to have to wait a little longer for the release and are sorry for the delay, but we are working hard to make an amazing game. We’re excited to show more at E3.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
90 minute gameplay stream. Haven't watched it yet, no idea if worth your time. There are hours and hours of this stuff apparently.

I guess technically these are #Old but no one posted them before so fuck you.

Zombra

Patron
#uninformative and I still find Talion profoundly boring, but not a bad trailer. I just realized I actually kind of like Celebrimbor as portrayed in these. Wish it was more about him and less about Angsty McStubble.

orcinator

Liturgist
Wow they made it looks even worse. Jesus those running animation at the very end.

Must have forgot you need good visuals to distract people from the glorified qte gameplay.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I don't get is why they made the game more cartoony. The first one was kind of "dark" and the orcs were properly fugly to be enemies that you want to murder. Now everything seems to colourful and... blobby, it's weird

Zombra

Patron
Wow they made it looks even worse. Jesus those running animation at the very end.
What I don't get is why they made the game more cartoony. The first one was kind of "dark" and the orcs were properly fugly to be enemies that you want to murder. Now everything seems to colourful and... blobby, it's weird
Yeah, this whole time I've been wondering why they're showing silly alpha version graphics like they're proud of them. Then it's like .... what if that's not an alpha?

Zombra

Patron
Also, what the fuck, why are there no humans in the game? In the first one there were human slaves everywhere, and it always made me want to stop and rescue them. If it's just a bunch of orcs walking back and forth, I'll just be running past everything to get to the next objective. Big missed opportunity to make the open world more interesting.

Zombra

Patron
If you are a preordering lunatic, green man gaming has 10% off right now plus a voucher 2017E318OFF for an extra 18%. Only $73 for the complete game! :argh:

Zombra

Patron
A couple random thoughts, nothing to do with Shelob:

• In all the gameplay I've seen so far, and I've watched a decent amount, I've never seen any of the "collectibles" from the first game, like you find an Orcish toothbrush and there's a 90 second voiceover about it. So if we're lucky, that crap is gone.
incline.png

• The whole thing with Eltariel, the Blade of Galadriel. First off, her initial role is she comes and kills Talion to see if he's really immortal, so I like her already. She is also a playable character in the Galadriel DLC, which is nice because I want to play as anyone but Talion, but bad because you can probably only play as her during the (I assume) twenty minutes of DLC story missions that come with it. Lastly, there have been complaints from the equality-minded that playing as a female is gated by a DLC paywall. This is silly, I think, but I thought the Codex could get some entertainment mileage out of it. Anyway I hope we are able to play as her during the main game even though it makes no sense with the Talion cutscenes, just like Shadow of Mordor let us play as Lithariel.

• I also haven't seen the healing herbs, which were kind of redundant in the first game after you get healing runes ... but it's too bad if they're gone. I preferred to play without healing runes and use just herbs to make things edgier. I hope the herbs are still there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Shelob was a spider. A giant, intelligent spider, but a spider nonetheless. What's this bullshit about her having a human form? Why do they hate Tolkien so much?

Hellion

Arcane
The creative liberties they're taking make this thing look more and more like teen fan fiction.

So apparently Shelob is a retconned teenager's quick skim-read of Monster Mythology Lolth, alright.

That entire trailer is so laughably bad, really. The fact that they're trying to hard to push the 'cinematic' aspect makes the absurdity and the technical inadequacy of it even more comical.

Last edited:
Eh. I thought that I was enough of a grown-adult to not be surprised or upset when franchises I enjoy are turned into shambling frankencorpses that are only capable of making an absolute mockery of the author's original work. Didn't care when it happened with Star Wars or Indiana Jones, much less far more literary stuff like Dante's Inferno.

Why is it different for me with Tolkien?

I'm not surprised or upset, just think it's pretty fucking funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom