Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

a cut of domestic sheep prime

My review:

On the whole, a grindy combat-fest, but the Nemesis System made it tolerable. Instead of just killing random, meaningless enemies, enemies and allies both have unique histories even though most are randomly generated NPCs. This only applies to combat though and the story is very much centered around linear quests for pre-generated characters who will be the same and act the same every time.

The story was decent in the beginning, but weakened toward the end as there weren't any more quests and it just became about grinding through battle after battle. The ending was predictable and told in a single cutscene with no choices, which given the fact that there were a TON of unavoidable grind battles that you have to face beforehand, was pretty disappointing.

There's a black character in the game which is kind of annoying as technically there aren't any black people in the LOTR setting. There are southern people, but they are "swarthy", not black. I did appreciate that they at least noted how unusual it was and didn't try to pass it off as normal like they did in The Hobbit movies.

Though the explanation doesn't make much sense as his supposed nation would be so far from Gondor that sending him as some sort of goodwill offering would be silly. Gondor isn't Rome and has shown virtually no interest in the south, being occupied with Mordor constantly. It's also ridiculously unlikely that he'd be promoted to the top of the ranks. He's a complete outsider with no relation to anyone there.

He is also in a pseudo-romance with the only human woman in the game, who also happens to be a blonde white girl. You are forced to help the two in their lame (and, yet again, incredibly unlikely) romance and watch the two walk off into the sunset, having added virtually nothing of value to the story apart from their initial appearances in the prologue. I didn't like having to grind through repeated predictable quests for this uninteresting concept. He even has an entire DLC. As if he weren't forced on you enough.

I can't really blame the developer for including this character because the usual suspects would have made a big stink about there not being black people in the game, just like they did with Kingdom Come: Deliverance. But having a whole questline dedicated to an interracial romance and even making a DLC dedicated to him was beyond unneeded.

[edit with minor spoiler for Eltariel DLC: the two main villians of this DLC are two rogue ringwraiths (what?) who are CHINESE PRINCESSES. Because China is apparently a thing in Middle Earth now.]

The game's questlines are all linear and there are virtually no choices that matter. You can't do anything to sway characters or prevent betrayals - though non-story Nemesis System betrayals that happen dynamically can be affected.

That said, there are some decent, if unsurprising, plot twists that change things up and keep things interesting. Especially if you are a LOTR fan. They do incorporate a lot of elements that weren't in the movies, but were in other books on the setting and it's interesting to see their take on things.

Combat ranges from easy to moderately challenging, depending on how careful you are and how quick you can react to button prompts. Conquering forts is easy, provided you do the proper ground work. Defending them can be tougher, but you probably won't do much of that until the end - and then you will do so much of it, you'll get sick of it.

It is winnable without purchasing DLC or the gold/silver extras, but again, it can be a little grindy. I wonder if it would have been less so without the marketplace there to incentivize grind in the design.

I also have to note that the PRIVACY, TERMS and EULA is all isnanely one-sided. If you place this, you basically have to agree that you don't own the game, have no right to sue and that they can/will sell all your data to 3rd party advertisers.

On the whole, I have to recommend this to LOTR fans because I am a fan and I enjoyed running around in the setting and fighting different orcs. I had fun I guess, but it was a cheap, poorly written fun. And I'm not proud of supporting such shady a publisher. I recommend getting it on sale, if at all.

For non-fans, you may not find it very interesting apart from the Nemesis System, which makes otherwise repetitive battles not only interesting, but personal. At least until the grind at the end begins.

Last edited by a moderator:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Which was my reaction everytime I encountered more DIVERSITY and uninspired plot twists.

Oh, Sauron is effectively an anime villain.

JnqYXhu.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Microtransactions are no more: https://steamcommunity.com/games/356190/announcements/detail/3112434863481463081

Middle-earth: Shadow of War – Patch Notes v1.18 – July 17, 2018

Free content updates available today for Middle-earth: Shadow of War owners, including:

Market Removed:
• The Market is removed from the game, replaced with an updated Garrison menu that allows access to your Garrison Orcs, Chests, Training Orders and Boosts.
• The Spoils of War Rewards and Community Challenge Reward Chests no longer contain Orcs. Instead, they now focus on Training Orders.
• You can now purchase Training Orders directly with Mirian.
• Captains recruited during Online Vendettas and Ranked Conquests can now be found in your Garrison when you return to your world.
• Captains killed during Online Vendettas and Ranked Conquests now drop gear, the same as Captains killed in your world. You still receive a Gear Chest at the end of the mission, in addition to any gear dropped by Orcs.
• With the removal of the Market, any unspent Gold currency has been converted into Gold Loot Chests.
Improvements to Epilogue (Shadow Wars):
• Reduced the number of stages and missions required for 100% completion of the Shadow Wars.
• Completing the Shadow Wars now earns you the pieces of gear listed below. Players who have already completed Shadow Wars will receive this gear when they begin playing.
o Servant’s Blackened Armor: Allied grunt Orcs have a chance to resurrect when they die. This includes allied Undead grunts.
o Mask of the General: Consume and Drain kills create a Curse explosion.
o Mask of the Undying: Waters of Lórien and Spectral Dash cost no Focus. Melee and Stealth damage increase for five seconds after use.
o Mask of the Fell Rider: Graug Call summons an Elemental Graug.
o Mask of the High King: Raise Dead summons Gondorian Wights.
o Mask of an Empress: Wraith Execution, Wraith Chain, and Chain of Shadows each deal more damage with each successive Wraith.
• Additional narrative elements:
o Additional dialogue from Orcs, Shelob, Dark Talion, and the Witch-king.
Progression Improvements:
• You can now reach level 80. Continuing to earn XP after reaching level 80 earns you additional skill points.
• Enemy Orcs can now reach level 85.
• New Prestige Skills, accessible after Act III, allow you to customize your character build. Each Prestige Skill can be purchased multiple times.
• You can now spend Mirian to raise the level of a piece of gear to match Talion’s current level. You must complete any upgrade challenges on the gear before you can raise its level.
• You can now spend perfect gems to re-roll secondary traits on gear. You must complete any upgrade challenges on the gear before you can re-roll.
New Player Skins:
• You can now choose to appear as Celebrimbor and Dark Eltariel.

Additional Fixes

General Stability:
• Fixed an issue where defeated Captains could leave an empty slot in the Army menu which could fail to refill with new enemies.
• Fixed an issue where deploying a Captain from the Garrison into any empty slot could result in lost Orcs.
• Fixed an issue where the Wages of War mission could become blocked if the player is killed while fighting the two Captains.
• Fixed an issue where Shadow Dominating in the Damaged mission could sometimes block progression.
• Fixed an issue where the The Conquest of Shindrâm mission could become blocked if the player entered the throne room after triggering the Adrenaline augment.
• Fixed an issue where unplugging the controller during Captain deployment could block progress until the game is rebooted.
• Fixed an issue where an Overlord’s Unfinished Business mission could disappear when trying to infiltrate him with a spy.
• Fixed an issue where deploying a Captain could replace an enemy who is holding a Follower as a hostage, which would result in the hostage disappearing from the Army menu.
• Fixed an issue where a Follower could sometimes appear dead in the Army menu after being rescued.
• Fixed an issue where new unknown Captains could take Warchief slots in Minas Morgul.
• Fixed an issue where the Rune of Vengeance challenge would sometimes fail to unlock.
• Fixed an issue where using the fire breath attack on a mounted drake would sometimes not inflict damage against opposing drakes.
• Fixed an issue where using Waters of Lorien or Spectral Dash would recover Focus instead of consuming it.
• Fixed an issue where the Cloak of Beasts would not be visible when equipped with the Baranor skin.
• Armor affixes Might Gain Per Kill and Wrath Gain Per Kill now accept any enemy kill.
• Fixed an issue where using Raise Dead could result in having infinite Might.
• Fixed an issue where Ologs without the Seismic Strike trait could still perform the attack.
• Fixed an issue where the Battle Weary trait would sometimes fail to trigger when it’s supposed to.
• Fixed an issue where Decoys who become Captains could sometimes render invisible.
• Fixed an issue where striking an enraged Olog Captain could cause the Olog’s elemental weapon effect to apply to the player.
• Fixed an issue where Shadow Mounting an enemy beast would fail to restore health.
• Fixed an issue where resurrecting dead War Banner carriers could result in them planting hostile banners.
• Fixed an issue where replaying the Best Defense mission could sometimes spawn the player at the incorrect location.
• Fixed an issue where the player’s Bodyguard could end up trapped and bleeding outside the throne room while the player went inside to confront the Overlord. Bodyguards will now exit bleed-out if left outside.
• Fixed an issue where Bodyguards of Assault Leaders could get duplicated when summoned inside the throne room.
• Fixed an issue where Captains could stop fighting appropriately and get stuck in a loop of taunting instead.
• Various movement and out-of-environment fixes.
• Fixed various memory crashes.
• Blade of Galadriel
o Fixed an issue where the first affix of the Fire Chaser’s Bow would not work against Talion.
o Fixed an issue where the first set bonus for the Light Bringer armor did not take effect against Talion.
o Fixed an issue where the game could become blocked during the Last Chance mini-game versus a mounted enemy.
o Fixed an issue where triggering the Beast Hunter’s Cloak second affix could instantly kill the targeted enemy, regardless of how much health was remaining.
o Fixed an issue where traps could disappear when Eltariel jumps near one.
o Fixed an issue where damage-over-time effects were not applying correctly to blinded enemies.

User Interface (UI):
• Enraged By banners will now display in the HUD when watching Pit Fights.
• Added mission start points in Minas Morgul (The Blade of Galadriel) and Lithlad (The Desolation of Mordor) that facilitate switching between Shadow of War campaigns.
• Dynamic Resolution Scaling is now turned off by default.
• Fixed an issue where Photo Mode would not properly pause the game animation if you were decapitating a drake.
• Fixed an issue where rewards were displayed as earned when failing a Pit Fight.
• Photo Mode: Fixed an issue where the Flat backdrop option would change the color of Orc blood to the selected hue.
• Fixed an issue where Ithildin Door Puzzle words would sometimes not change correctly when moving in the poem.
• Fixed an issue where quitting an Online Pit Fight could result in Online Vendetta information being inappropriately present in other mission resolution messaging.
• Fixed an edge case where the player would not be warned if deploying a Captain would result in a duel with another Follower.
• Desolation of Mordor: Fixed an issue where the number of turns remaining on an unprotected Outpost’s timer could be incorrect.

Nemesis System:
• You can now apply a Training Order to a Follower, even if they are currently on a mission. Prisoners are still ineligible.
• Necromancers may now occasionally raise themselves from the dead before your eyes.
• Added a toggle in the Options menu to disable Saviors.
• The Slaughter and Outlaw Invasion missions will now unlock sequentially, instead of all at once.
• Your Followers can now surprise you and deliver a gift Worm to interrogate.

Balance:
• Increased the overall spawn rates for Legendary Orcs.
• Rebalanced XP rewards and costs above level 30.
o Nemesis Missions and Captain kills now give much more XP.
o Online Fort Assault missions now award XP.
o Reduced XP reward on missions much higher level than the player, reducing the likelihood that a high-level fortress siege/defense will grant more than three levels of experience.
• Shortened the duration of rage if the Enrage Allies ability is used without Wrath.
• Slightly increased chance for Orcs to cheat death in late game.
• Improved gang-fighting behavior in Fight Pits. Gangs should now be more useful to their masters.
• Updated a variety of Orc attacks to charge through Defender shields. This helps balance Defenders better against Warriors, Savages, and Ologs.
• Added a tighter cooldown to the Berserker’s whirlwind attack.
• Added a brief delay at the beginning of an Orc’s Quick Shot attack, so the player has more time to react.
• Reduced the frequency of the Beast Slayer trait in late game.
• Slightly reduced the frequency of the Highly Adaptable trait.
• Greatly increased attack and defense values of Beasts (Caragors, Graugs, Drakes) against high-level Captains.
• Added Caragor stealth attacks as an acceptable unlock criteria for the Dagger of Vengeance.
• Increased attack and defense power of Caragors when mounted by Orc Captains.
• Reduced weakness of Orc traits Vulnerable to Fire and Vulnerable to Poison on Normal and Nemesis difficulties.
• Shaming an Orc once will not immediately reduce their traits. However, multiple shamings will still cause this to occur.
• Resurrecting dead Followers as Revenants will no longer cause them to lose any levels. They are still barred from ever leveling up again.
• Increased the chance that an Orc will ambush when his Blood Brother is under attack.
• Decreased the chance of a Blood Brother betrayal if the player accidentally hits their own Follower.
• Increased the time between an Orc’s death and his Blood Brother’s vengeful ambush.
• When playing siege/defense missions after completing Shadow Wars:
o Assault waves should now include bodyguards (two per Assault Leader).
o Legendary Orcs are now guaranteed to appear.
• Blade of Galadriel: Enraged Captains are Blinded for a shorter period.

d1nolore

Savant
The Gameplay Trailer made the game look really fun but the combat looks easy and unchallenging. Is the game much of a challenge or is it a one of those story games with easy mechanics so everyone can complete it?

sullynathan

Arcane
The Gameplay Trailer made the game look really fun but the combat looks easy and unchallenging. Is the game much of a challenge or is it a one of those story games with easy mechanics so everyone can complete it?
It's not a story based game but combat isn't hard or anything like that.
The core of the game is breaking orcs.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On normal difficulty it's pretty easy, but you can still get guys with stacked resistances and so forth that make them impossible to kill, or stacked attacks so they can one shot you from across the map. These are rare but interesting challenges when they appear. I haven't tried the harder difficulty or the new Gravewalker difficulty but it sounds intense. I bet if you tried it on a higher mode you'd have fun.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had a craving to have orcs yell at me so I started a new game of this on Gravewalker difficulty, and I have to say good god is it hard. At the beginning of the game, normal, plain old run-of-the-mill footsoldier orcs - you know, the kind that walk around in packs of 6-20? - can kill you in two hits, with no second chance ever. You know those spear thrower guys that you usually don't even know they're there until a spear hits you? Two hits. Archers? Two hits. And this doesn't even consider captains. So far I've managed to kill one captain, and that was on a story mission framed to hand me the tools to kill him and isolate him so I could learn the system. I've been trying to hunt more captains but it's pretty much impossible.

Difficulty may become more manageable as I level up and get some tools, but so far, jesus christ.

Zombra

Patron
Zombra do you actually dislike any game that you've bought?
I usually do my research and buy stuff I'll enjoy. There are certainly some red thumbs on my steam review page (handy link in sig). Mostly I prefer to talk about games I do like so I may appear disproportionately positive because of that. When I don't like something, I say "this sucks" once or twice and then try to move on.

In this case, I'm honestly impressed that the devs came through. You know how a lot of games put in a hard difficulty mode but "real gamers" continue to find it pathetically simple? They really took it seriously here. Tons of complaints on the forums about how they went too far etc. The criticism that the game looks too easy simply isn't valid any more.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Zombra do you actually dislike any game that you've bought?
I usually do my research and buy stuff I'll enjoy. There are certainly some red thumbs on my steam review page (handy link in sig). Mostly I prefer to talk about games I do like so I may appear disproportionately positive because of that. When I don't like something, I say "this sucks" once or twice and then try to move on.

In this case, I'm honestly impressed that the devs came through. You know how a lot of games put in a hard difficulty mode but "real gamers" continue to find it pathetically simple? They really took it seriously here. Tons of complaints on the forums about how they went too far etc. The criticism that the game looks too easy simply isn't valid any more.

Hello there, good day, newbie here.

About the difficulty level... did you play the game on gravewalker or brutal difficulty?

Which do you think is more fun?

I was interested in playing this game when it first came out years ago but was put off by the in game microtransaction.

Since the game seems to be in a better state now, I am considering to play it now.

deama

Prophet
For anyone that wants to play this, I recommend speedhacking it as it was more fun that way.

Zombra

Patron
About the difficulty level... did you play the game on gravewalker or brutal difficulty?
Which do you think is more fun?
At release, I played for a million hours on the default difficulty setting. It was fun but naturally became very easy. I completed Act III and had fun the whole time. Act IV is a long series of sieges; by that time the challenge was gone and it became essentially busywork so I never properly completed the game.

My second (current but backlogged) playthrough is Gravewalker. This level is amazing but viciously difficult. You will have enemies that kill you over and over and rocket to level 80 while you are still level 10. You will also get killed frequently by some offscreen spear thrower you didn't even see. But, that is kind of how the game is supposed to be - dying is integral to the gameplay loop.

Eventually you will level up to the point where grunts don't kill you instantly, but it will remain punishing. I played another million hours on Gravewalker and finished Act III on this level as well, and now am stalled on Act IV, because you can't zerg your way through it - if you lose a siege, it is actually a setback and you have to reconquer that territory. Since I die about half the time in Gravewalker sieges, progress is ... let's just say slow.

Combats on Gravewalker can definitely become problematic half-hour endurance tests as you will get the occasional enemy that is a fortress all by himself - it's up to you whether it sounds fun to have to work super hard to separate him from grunt support, use only weapons he's vulnerable to, desperately try to find environmental elements he's not immune to, etc. And then sometimes you still have to fight these guys during a siege where you can't avoid waves of grunts continually disrupting everything you're trying to do.

I've never tried Nemesis or Brutal. From what I've just read, Brutal sounds not bad, all of the pain but less of the long grind combats. I kind of like the awful half hour Gravewalker nutcracker fights but I can see how downgrading to Brutal would help the game move along a little peppier while still being edgy.

Note that you can change the difficulty at any time - I would say maybe start at Gravewalker and see how you like it, but plan on cranking it down. I'm stubborn and don't like to turn down the difficulty so if you have the same mental block, maybe start low and turn up.

I was interested in playing this game when it first came out years ago but was put off by the in game microtransaction.
Since the game seems to be in a better state now, I am considering to play it now.
Yes, they completely nuked the microtransaction system. I was actually astonished to see a big company like Warner Brothers back off from their clear "screw the customer for all you can" model. I mean they didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts but it was still great to see.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I already gave up after one hour.
And I played through its predecessor with gusto.
Weird, why? Too much the same as the original? I found the sequel to be superior in every way. I even hated the cutscenes less.

They have overdone the whole sandbox aspect. SoM was "contained" chaos complemented by clear design rules and it was good for that. With SoW they just removed the safety belt and threw the latter out of the window entirely. The result: An exhausting and unfun mess. Basically the manifestation of everything I hate about the dreaded open-world design.

Codex Year of the Donut
One of the more interesting parts was at the beginning where a friendly faction controlled Minas Ithil, I remember being a bit let down that it just reverted back to only enemy-owned keeps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom