Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

just tried it yesterday.
the base mechanics are extremely cool and i love the bosses absolutely unbalanced skills (beating a boss immune to stealth and to ranged, who kills mounts with a single swing, who can't be countered and does extra damage has been truly the "epic" all the other game strive for but miss because they're afraid to scare cerebrally impaired customers away), the whole looking for intel, reaching the target and finding ways to weaken, isolate and then kill him is awesome.
the first three times. then repetitiveness struck this game terribly hard. new skills are too slow to gain and tying environmental interaction to them is pure stupidity.
is this everything the game has to offer? run around, find someplace high, aim for the boss, drop on him, climb again and repeat?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
is this everything the game has to offer? run around, find someplace high, aim for the boss, drop on him, climb again and repeat?
You kind of have to make your own fun in this game. It's not a challenge to be beaten; it's a toy box. Send death threats to doods so they get a ton of bodyguards, start huge fights in the forts and try to get away, trick/hypnotize your favorite bosses into fighting each other to the death, see how many scars you can give a boss without killing him. This becomes even more true as the game wears on and you get more powers and become even more invincible.

Hmm, now that I talk about it like that, sounds pretty fun - may be time to reinstall :D

Ebonsword

Arcane
Yeah, I had to start a whole new game and be much more careful about the powers I picked. In my original game, I became close to unkillable. (My original character has runes which allow him to regain something like 75% health every time he brands someone. And with the ability to brand someone instantaneously as soon as his hit chain gets to five, about the only thing that kill him is me completely not paying attention or getting alpha striked by multiple archer chieftans.)

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish there was a setting that made it so you could only brand once every 15 minutes or something. Chain healing is the biggest challenge-killer for me as well. I wonder if there are mods out there ...

You kind of have to make your own fun in this game. It's not a challenge to be beaten; it's a toy box. Send death threats to doods so they get a ton of bodyguards, start huge fights in the forts and try to get away, trick/hypnotize your favorite bosses into fighting each other to the death, see how many scars you can give a boss without killing him. This becomes even more true as the game wears on and you get more powers and become even more invincible.

Hmm, now that I talk about it like that, sounds pretty fun - may be time to reinstall :D

so you're telling me the game has actually nothing else to offer than what i already experienced.
what a shame, i really loved its basis but i'd have liked a game shipped with them. as is, i find it a wonderful tech demo.

Zombra

Patron
so you're telling me the game has actually nothing else to offer than what i already experienced.
what a shame, i really loved its basis but i'd have liked a game shipped with them. as is, i find it a wonderful tech demo.
Eh, that's not fair - it's an easy game if you only play to win, but it's still a game - and what you said doesn't even make sense. If you "really love" the basic systems, you should enjoy running around fulfilling various objectives using them. Not sure what you're looking for here.

But yeah, if you find fighting orcs in the mid game boring, the late game isn't going to thrill you.

Last edited:
well, space engine has a wonderful structure, but it's not actually enjoyable as a game. same here: wonderful structure, nothing to do with it. it's cool you have all those unbalanced boss skills, the chats, the chases, the gathering of intel, but once you tried them 3-4 times they become a chore. i can't really be bothered to fight 20+ orcs trying to keep the lone useful alive only to discover if and how i can oneshot/abuse another random bloke.
that's what i meant, and looks like there's not going to be more fun for me here. pity.

Zombra

Patron
Fair enough :) I don't want to get tied up defending this game. I'd hesitate to call it a flawed gem, more a pretty cool lump of coal.

I'll admit though I've been kind of excited all day to go back and play it again.

no need to defend the game, it's a very cool idea, it's just not fleshed out enough for me.
probably it's the intel gathering which annoys me so much, and the extremely slow pace the skill tiers are earned. in one word: filler.

Zombra

Patron
If they focus and expand on the Nemesis system, a sequel could be amazing. More likely they will say, in this one you can fly and shoot fireballs!! and ignore the strong, original qualities of the first game. Just like they did with all the DLC. Maybe more explosions this time!! and more, longer emotional cutscenes!! because first and foremost gamers lovvve to sit and watch actors talk.

Pre-disappointed.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So it's been firmly established this is a knife right in the gut of Tolkien's lore etc etc but it is worth playing from a gameplay/atmospheric perspective? I picked it up during the last sale and haven't installed yet.

Zombra

Patron
Morality Games
Good chewing gum game, I still go back to it from time to time to hunt down a crazy boss fight. The cutscenes are teeth-grinding and I hated the main character, but that's easy to get past.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's like most of Warner Brothers games these days: take an IP your movie studio owns and make it into a shallow Ubisoft game. If you've played an Arkham game or the recent Mad Max then you've played SoM. Same combat, same hunting for bounties/items/secrets, same semi-open world type of map.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So it's been firmly established this is a knife right in the gut of Tolkien's lore etc etc but it is worth playing from a gameplay/atmospheric perspective? I picked it up during the last sale and haven't installed yet.

If you enjoy the combat and Nemesis system you can get a decent amount of fun out of the game. Problem is it's really geared towards players who find it challenging. Hell, if you don't die a lot you'll have to manually advance time in order to fully make use of the Nemesis system. It doesn't help combat makes for so much of the game with barely any other activities to break the monotony. Unless you're not into BamHam combat at least.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you guys like the game, but think it is too easy, try the Bright Lord DLC campaign. It is much more challenging, and darker in tone than the basic game. And you get to play with The One Ring. Also the last mission/boss fight is pretty cool.

Krivol

Magister
I just started to play it. It seems like countryside Assasin's clone but this setting fit's me much better. Nothing special, but you can run this game for 10-15 min's just to do 1-2 quests which is good.

I don't believe it will be still interesting after 3-4 hours...

Zombra

Patron
I just started to play it. It seems like countryside Assasin's clone but this setting fit's me much better. Nothing special, but you can run this game for 10-15 min's just to do 1-2 quests which is good.

I don't believe it will be still interesting after 3-4 hours...
Don't take all the powers and don't use healing runes. You will have way more fun. Trust me.

don't play this at all, you'll have even more fun.

after 30 minutes or so you have tried already everything this has to offer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom