Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hahaha holy fuck, that last line about feeling uncomfortable with Orc discrimination can't be real.

W-w-what?

I think at this point its safe to say that Tolkien is no longer rolling in his grave. They had to bolt him down because he kept waking up the rest of the dead.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyway, I haven't been paying attention to this game at all. Is it shit?

THE ELF WHO MADE THE RINGS OF POWER IS A ZOMBIE GHOST WRAITH WHO POSSESSES A GONDORIAN RANGER TO GET REVENGE ON SAURON IN GOD OF WAR AWESOME COMBAT BLOODMATE DEATHSHOT RAAWWRRR -- IF YOU DON'T KNOW A LOT ABOUT THE LORD OF THE RINGS, THAT'S INCONSISTENT WITH THE TONE AND THRUST OF THE LEGENDARIUM AND UNFITTING FOR THE WORLD AND CHARACTERS OF MIDDLE EARTH

So pretty much on the level of fan fiction.

As for the game itself, eh. I think it was the usual decline that innovated in one or two ways.

Last edited:

Guido being trolled by the ad system

M4X4Ib.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
so I got bored enough to torrent it and it's good fun popamole. Like, it's pure popamole, don't expect anything less, but the nemesis system stuff is actually really fun and it does a lot of cool little things that skip the fillery bullshit that take up a lot of your time in open-world games. It knows you're here to fuck around with orcs and gives you that on a platter. My girlfriend was laughing at me earlier because I got one nemesis, a horrible little archer shitler, who kept popping up at the most inconvenient times and murdering me with a volley of fire arrows, and he made me so fucking mad. I can't believe how angry I got at an imaginary videogame orc, then I actually felt bereft of something special when I killed him off for good. It's a great system that deserves crafted on to a much better game - imagine STALKER with this shit, it would be incredible.

I feel like it's going to get too easy very soon though. Glad I torrented it but don't think it's worth paying above-steam-sale prices for. I like the Arkham games and if you like those you'll like this. If you don't - and I can see why you wouldn't - look away.

DramaticPopcorn

so I got bored enough to torrent it and it's good fun popamole. Like, it's pure popamole, don't expect anything less, but the nemesis system stuff is actually really fun and it does a lot of cool little things that skip the fillery bullshit that take up a lot of your time in open-world games. It knows you're here to fuck around with orcs and gives you that on a platter. My girlfriend was laughing at me earlier because I got one nemesis, a horrible little archer shitler, who kept popping up at the most inconvenient times and murdering me with a volley of fire arrows, and he made me so fucking mad. I can't believe how angry I got at an imaginary videogame orc, then I actually felt bereft of something special when I killed him off for good. It's a great system that deserves crafted on to a much better game - imagine STALKER with this shit, it would be incredible.

I feel like it's going to get too easy very soon though. Glad I torrented it but don't think it's worth paying above-steam-sale prices for. I like the Arkham games and if you like those you'll like this. If you don't - and I can see why you wouldn't - look away.

The Nemesis system was completely lost on me.
I guess it depends on how recklessly you play early game (because later on you're pretty much unkillable). I mainly was exploiting stealth in this game and died only once when I got overwhelmed in one of the strongholds. Got killed by some random dude who got promoted to Captain and never ran into him again. Then at the end, when I completely forgot about him, he showed up as my Nemesis :\
Had a couple of more memorable assholes who could fill that role, mainly because they kept escaping me :D

The game is really pretty to look at, the cinematic cutscenes and voice acting are great but gameplay couldn't be more hollow and devoid of any actual challenge. QTEs are rampant and frustrating as ever... I remember when I failed like 4 attempts to finish off my first warchief... a totally unnecessary and frustrating gimmick.

All in all, popamole gonna popamole.

Unwanted

Mandora

Andhaira
Andhaira
From what I read on Henkel's blog this Nemesis/Psycho engine just seems like an evolution of level scaling. Can someone with more insight explain what's so 'damn cool!' about it?

Otherwise Bethesda was on the 'bleeding edge' of this technology years ago with Oblivion.

It has nothing to do with scaling (in fact the game gets easier as you go along, so it's the complete opposite)

Basically, enemies can acquire grudges with the player depending on what happens during the game. Burning a guy will cause him to show up later with burn marks and cursing you for it, getting defeated by a grunt will get him a promotion and he will gloat about it next time you meet, etc. Unfortunately, if you play well it won't have much of an impact because you're leaving no survivors and/or aren't being defeated often.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
So i found this plus Alien Isolation in my steam christmas gift section.

Im unfamiliar with the assassins creed genre of games from which this was seemingly derived if im to believe the internetz. Also i usually hate action games, partly because i suck at them since my twitch skills have gone down the drain over the years.

Still to my surprise i found the semi open world exploration actually moderatly fun. Same for the combat which is apparently dumbass easy but with wooden twitch skills it becomes challenging.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
I just came across this, I can't believe this shit is for realz. How can the Tolkien estate be butthurt over Peter Jackson (ok Hobbit trilogy is shit but LOTR was great) but be ok with this:

Celebrimbor appears in the game The Shadow of Mordor as the wraith assisting the Ranger Talion in destroying the forces of Sauron. Developers have revealed that he assists Talion due to the guilt he feels for creating the rings of power, and thus he feels ultimately responsible for the trouble Middle-earth is in. However, the Celebrimbor that appears in the game differs from the Tolkien Celebrimbor in that he not only makes the three elf rings, but he crafts all of the rings of power, and when captured helps Sauron reforge the one ring (via scribing the lettering of the ring upon it) he also gave the ring a will of its own. However, once Saurons intentions were revealed to him he stole the one ring and used it to command an army of Orcs and Uruks to defeat Sauron and claim Mordor. Celebrimbor uses the ring's power of invisibility to defeat Sauron, however the ring wanted to return to the dark lord and so slipped off of Celebrimbor's finger and onto Sauron's, breaking Celebrimbor's control of the Orcs. He was then tortured as punishment, had his family tortured and killed in front of him, before finally being beaten to death with his own Mithril hammer by Sauron.

:what:

What. The. Fuck. At least PJ only messed with the Hobbit; EA is raping the lore of earlier ages. Tolkien fags, what say you about this?

Lyric Suite

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
How can the Tolkien estate be butthurt over Peter Jackson (ok Hobbit trilogy is shit but LOTR was great) but be ok with this:

Films matter to people who matter, despite merely being entertainment. A shit-ass movie can make your entire franchise actually look bad.

No one of substance or taste gives a fuck about the particulars of video games, nor how objectively good or bad they may be. They only care about the profits generated. Videos games are essentially just rubbish, toys pumped out for consumption by children, teenagers, and adults who think and act like children and teenagers. Do they make a profit? If so, fantastic. Otherwise, no one cares.

LucasFilm (or I suppose Disney at this rate) isn't going to be upset if Mattel releases a shitty action figure of Luke. It'll mean slightly less merchandise sales, and that might be problematic, but no one gives a crap if the factory made the Luke figurine too short and squat and that its face looks off. It won't reflect badly on the Star Wars franchise as a whole, either. It's just a toy for little shits.

Same principle.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Plus I'd imagine it's the rights issue as well. Warner Brothers owns the film rights to the 'main' Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit, but nothing else that's mentioned in the legendarium. They can't include elements that're only mentioned in the Silmarillion, for example, and they make Gandalf intentionally vague on how many other Wizards there are in the world beyond Radagast and Sauron because the Blue Wizards aren't mentioned at any point in either the Hobbit or LoTR. Since they don't have the film rights anymore, the Tolkien estate doesn't get a cent out of the literally billions of dollars that the film franchise has made over the past decade, so of course they're gonna be a bit bitter over it.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The game is a pile of rubbish with nothing but glorified QTE combat with entirely zero challenge, if you die with even 100 orcs around you, your keyboard/controller must have disconnected.
'Nemesis system' is nothing but a random name generator and invasive cutscenes for when you meet them and then kill them in 2-3mins of QTE. Nonsense rubbish story which are the equivalent of no-name repeatable quests from GTA or Sleeping Dogs type game.

How is this getting 80's on metacritic shill and USER reviews? I can't imagine it being better than that 1886 game that is being universally panned. I imagine DAI is more stimulating than this too.

I'm probably repeating what's in this thread 20x already, but is this really listed as a good start in more risk taking AAA games? :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom