Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Deleted member 7219

I've been watching TotalBiscuit's playthrough of the game. Wow, he is really shit at combat. Not just in this game, I have seen him suck really hard before.

Watch from 23:00 onwards. The combat looks really simple, but he nearly gets killed by 4 orcs.

Heh. "We can give you a copy of the game if you sign this promotional deal with us". I guess it's technically not a bribe.

edit: ugh, at the very end he meets a huge troll for the first time but avoids it to go fight more orcs. We've already seen you kill a hundred of those, man.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been watching TotalBiscuit's playthrough of the game. Wow, he is really shit at combat. Not just in this game, I have seen him suck really hard before. Watch from 23:00 onwards. The combat looks really simple, but he nearly gets killed by 4 orcs.
FWIW, although TB's reflexes don't appear stellar, not knowing exactly what the fuck is happening is pretty much a staple of this game's combat. Once you get over a certain saturation point (for me it's about 6 guys), it's just impossible to keep track of all the uruks. You kind of scan the crowd for shields and pole arms, and once in a while you'll get hit by a spear or arrow and that's how you know there are ranged attackers. Add in the fact that bosses are complete wild cards (does that guy have a power that will kill me in two hits? How about the guy with exploding arrows in the video there? Who knows? I haven't memorized all the character sheets for all 20 bosses out there), and the additional fact that more bosses can and do show up out of the blue to fuck things up even further, and the additional fact that more grunts can and do show up very frequently and with no warning, and you get a very chaotic battle experience. It's not at all like in Batman where you start a fight and go, OK, there are two guns and two riot shields, I take this guy out first and then that guy, and then mop up. It's more about just attacking whatever's closest to you until you get in a situation where you can concentrate on the real target without getting blindsided, or until things get so out of hand and unsalvageable that running away seems better. It's mostly impossible to methodically eliminate minor threats and establish a "safe zone" for your boss fight ... although sometimes that "safe zone" does emerge.

In short, I don't blame him at all for not paying very much attention to those two spear throwing fucks that ended up giving him so much trouble.

Now that I think about it, overall SOM is a really interesting riff on the Batman idiom ... the combat mechanics are almost exactly the same, but the environmental mechanics make it incredibly different. Of course I've never played Assassin's Creed so maybe that's what it's like.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
A large part of the problem is the ridiculously low FoV. I can't see shit half the time because the character is blocking a third of the screen.

It's a pity that we actually get a decent port for once, but they once again neglect a FoV slider.

GrainWetski

Arcane
It's hard to talk and play games at the same time, so that's another reason he looks terrible in the video.

Of course I've never played Assassin's Creed so maybe that's what it's like.

It's like the opposite of this and the Arkham games. Instead of making you feel powerful, it makes everyone else feel incredibly weak.

At least in the games I've played in that series.

Azazel

Arbiter
Why don't they own the rights to Annatar?

I know he is listed as Annatar in the Unfinished Tales in the index along with Artano and Aulendil.

Or does the extended works outside of the main body of work fall under the rights of Christopher Tolkien?

LOTR, Appendices of LOTR, and The Hobbit only. Everything else excluded.

racofer

Thread Incliner
tl;dr
game is shit, despite the rather interesting captain/veteran gimmick.

This. I have wasted 35GB of bandwidth on the extended demo version, and after ~2 hours I had seen everything this game had to offer: boring, tedious, repetitive button mashing just like the arkham games. 2/10

Drakron

Arcane
Oh man, do they actually name him as Annatar in the game? I know fo' sho' that he's never referenced by that name anywhere in LOTR or the appendices, that alone would get them sued.

Dont know, I didnt hear it as those scenes I watched are muted or when characters talked they dont mention names.

I pretty much guess thats deliberate since Tolkien Estate is currently suing Warner Brothers over the slot machines.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Just finished it. Meh. It started out very promising, but the fact that only the first quarter of the game holds any amount of challenge means it never reaches its full potential. In the beginning the Nemesis system was quite interesting because Orcs stood a chance at killing me and often did, meaning certain orcs would just get more powerful and make my life difficult. Then I started getting upgrades and I could slay garrisons on my own, so the Nemesis system became nothing more than a feature I had to purposely gimp in order to get any worthwhile content out of it.

I don't know what it is with developers nowadays that they simply can't provide a proper challenge. Has popamolization really gone so deep? I know in an ARPG as you get stronger certain things are supposed to get slightly easier, but what is up with this shit of turning the entire game into a cakewalk after the first few hours?

Watched bro playing it a little. The elven wraith's identity is p. surprising. And TB is right, hope you like killing orcs uruks or you're gonna have a bad time.

And yes, you have to give the nemesis system a hand after a while. If you hunt down the captains as soon as they get promoted, they'll still be easy pickings. Use the waiting function to let their politics play out a little. I still don't quite understand how promotion works, though. Do they gain strengths, lose weaknesses or a mix of both? Because I can't imagine those guys with lame weaknesses (ex: dies in one headshot) getting very far, but sometimes they do. Could you orchestrate it so only weaklings become leaders, so you can take them in quick sucession later? :lol:

Oh, and apparently they can come back after being killed...bug or feature?

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tl;dr
game is shit, despite the rather interesting captain/veteran gimmick.

This. I have wasted 35GB of bandwidth on the extended demo version, and after ~2 hours I had seen everything this game had to offer: boring, tedious, repetitive button mashing just like the arkham games. 2/10

Hey now. The first two arkham games had decent game design. Popamole, but decent.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Watched bro playing it a little. The elven wraith's identity is p. surprising. And TB is right, hope you like killing orcs uruks or you're gonna have a bad time.

And yes, you have to give the nemesis system a hand after a while. If you hunt down the captains as soon as they get promoted, they'll still be easy pickings. Use the waiting function to let their politics play out a little. I still don't quite understand how promotion works, though. Do they gain strengths, lose weaknesses or a mix of both? Because I can't imagine those guys with lame weaknesses (ex: dies in one headshot) getting very far, but sometimes they do. Could you orchestrate it so only weaklings become leaders, so you can take them in quick sucession later? :lol:

You can get the weaklings to be warchiefs, but it's a little pointless because epic runes have a higher chance of dropping the higher an uruk's level is.

As for some enemies coming back, that's a feature. Sometimes if you don't decapitate an enemy they end up surviving and coming back later all butthurt because you scarred them or took out an eye or something.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished it. Meh. It started out very promising, but the fact that only the first quarter of the game holds any amount of challenge means it never reaches its full potential. In the beginning the Nemesis system was quite interesting because Orcs stood a chance at killing me and often did, meaning certain orcs would just get more powerful and make my life difficult. Then I started getting upgrades and I could slay garrisons on my own, so the Nemesis system became nothing more than a feature I had to purposely gimp in order to get any worthwhile content out of it.
I had pretty much the exact same experience (finished the game this morning). Even the power-ups didn't matter that much once I learned that stunlock + flurry is highly effective against every boss (though sure, power-ups helped make everything trivial).

It also would have been nice if "Intel" was FAR more difficult to come by ... and if Traits automatically filled in on your file of a guy after you witnessed them first hand.

On my way to work, I found myself thinking that this is still a pretty fun chewing-gum game, but Shadow of Mordor 2 could be truly good, if they really focused on the strengths of the Nemesis system and made it crunchy as hell. Of course there will never be a sequel to this thing because why would there be? But I would love to see someone take these concepts and flesh them out better because there are some wonderful ideas here.

Intended as a feature. Uruks are tough. If you don't decapitate or destroy the brain, they may walk away no matter what else you do. Sadly I only saw like two 'dead' guys come back over the course of my playthrough. I guess too little is better than too much.

Last edited:

TripJack

Hedonist
The first two arkham games had decent game design.
and where in arkham asylum was this decent game design exactly? i must've missed it somewhere between the dull challengeless platforming and the click-LMB-until-everyone-ded combat

Ah. I know about them coming back all butthurt if you defeat them, but I assumed executing "finishers" was supposed to kill for sure, even if it's just a stab on the chest.

(of course, since they are unique and not randomly generated, this would be kind of impractical now that I think about it)

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The first two arkham games had decent game design.
and where in arkham asylum was this decent game design exactly? i must've missed it somewhere between the dull challengeless platforming and the click-LMB-until-everyone-ded combat

-The game does an excellent job at demanding stealth tactics from the player, rather than initiating regular combat once you fail.
-Enemy variety also demands tactical variety, such as in the boss fights
-Boss fights
-Breadth of gadgets
-Maneuverability (jumping, gliding, climbing, ziplining, etc.)
-Optional treasure hunts
-Whether the combat is really hard or not, it's still a challenge to do it well
-The scarecrow segments are wonderful

I didn't say it was the best, but you can't deny they at least tried.

Zombra

Patron
Also, let me see if I have the story of Shadow of Mordor straight (from the perspective of a non-LOTR-head).

Sauron's 3 Chums come to the Black Gate and kill everybody, including Ranger hero. Amnesiac Elf Wraith possesses Ranger's corpse for ... ? ... no evident reason ... and gives him super powers. Gollum is around and likes the elf so he shows them where to find some artifacts that awaken the elf's memory. Over time we learn more of Elf Wraith's story, though it has nothing to do with Ranger or his (or the player's) activities. Ranger wants revenge on Sauron's Chums so he starts beating the shit out of the local orcs to try to get a lead. This works. Ranger kills Chum #1. Ranger meets Freedom Fighter who brings him to meet her mother, a local queen who tells Ranger to build his own army using mind powers on the orcs. He does so. The possessed orc army all get on a boat and sail to a fortress somewhere, where they have a grand battle with some other orcs who also apparently sailed over at the same time to stop Ranger. After that the victorious possessed orcs all wander off rather than accompany Ranger into the evil fortress. Ranger enters the fortress to find it empty. Eventually he meets Chum #2 and they use weird illusion powers on each other just to freak each other out, then stab at each other with swords and Ranger wins. Then Chum #3 shows up and threatens to kill Ranger once and for all, but cuts his own throat instead and turns into Sauron (?). Elf Wraith cheers on Ranger who stabs Sauron a few times. Roll credits. Ranger reappears in Mordor to mop up the remaining mess of orcs.
Did I miss much?

Last edited:

Akratus

Patron
Gollum likes the elf
cuts his own throat instead and turns into Sauron
Ranger meets Freedom Fighter who brings him to meet her mother, a local queen
Elf Wraith cheers on Ranger who stabs Sauron a few times. Roll credits. Ranger reappears in Mordor to mop up the remaining mess of orcs.

Every time I hear something about this game I hate it more and more.

Here's my tolkien cred for those interested:
883242_594478643977949_624824983_o.jpg

Last edited:

Akratus

Patron
No, Gollum loathes all things elvish, does he not? I don't remember that so much from the book as much as the elven rope induced agony from the movie.

Zombra

Patron
No, Gollum loathes all things elvish, does he not? I don't remember that so much from the book as much as the elven rope induced agony from the movie.
Eh, we can pick it apart if you want, but I'm going to leave out the major spoiler since clearly even spoiler tags aren't sacred to you :). Just trust me, there's a very good reason. In a story filled with unconvincing things that made no sense, G's motivation to get on the elf's good side was immediately believable.

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
On my way to work, I found myself thinking that this is still a pretty fun chewing-gum game, but Shadow of Mordor 2 could be truly good, if they really focused on the strengths of the Nemesis system and made it crunchy as hell. Of course there will never be a sequel to this thing because why would there be?
Why do you say that? I watched the ending on youtube and it seems to end on a sequel hook
Ranger guy suggests to Celebrimbor they should make another ring and fight Sauron I guess?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom