Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh for fuck's sake, these SJW-ass-kissing game "journalists" are completely intolerable.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well ... LOTR doesn't have roast ham in it either that I remember, but a LOTR game about a guy roasting a ham wouldn't be against canon. It might not have the same tone as the books, but it would be a little weird to rage about how ham has nothing to do with the series.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look at it looked so fucking boring. I'm not in a video game mood at all lately though, so maybe I'm just in a funk.

Drakron

Arcane
Oh for fuck's sake, these SJW-ass-kissing game "journalists" are completely intolerable.

I agree, its like on a sea of piss looking for a turd.

Of all the things that are wrong with Celebrimdor: Mordor City going full SJW is ... actually I have no idea, its like on one hand he wants to go on about the problems with the game but on the other he have no balls to go on about whats wrong with it in case WB doesnt give them copies of the next Batman game so he goes with SWJ in a way that proves he is as much of a talentedess hack as the ones that wrote the game ... what I have to apologize to the writers of this game because are not as bad as him.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well ... LOTR doesn't have roast ham in it either that I remember, but a LOTR game about a guy roasting a ham wouldn't be against canon. It might not have the same tone as the books, but it would be a little weird to rage about how ham has nothing to do with the series.

It has nothing to do with the series except using the uruks and shoehorning in Gollum and some lore bits for brand recognition.

racofer

Thread Incliner
OH MY GOD NOES SHADOW OF MORDOR RUINED MY FEELINGS WAAAAAAAT AAAM I GONNAAAA DDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
219us28.gif

liberals

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Right, the people defending this popamole AAA made-for-console action game and derivative bastardization of the Lord of the Rings franchise aren't the ones who are fucked. It surely must be me. :lol:

Lord of the Rings isn't exactly near and dear to my heart, and my feelings aren't hurt. That's pure projection. I am however familiar with the books, and I know that anyone apologizing for or defending this game is in full-on fragile butthurt mode. If you want to wallow in the decline, then do so, but don't defend it and attempt to spin-doctor it into not being popamole or a bastardization.

I am slightly annoyed by the fact that Mordor is portrayed as a sunlit baseball field in this game. This is an acceptable and inclined stance to take, and is not "crying," any more than being slightly annoyed by brightly-lit "darkness" in Thiaf or pissbloom in general is "crying."

I played this tonight after an excruciating 35gb download and a 45 minute long install. It's the most absolutely trivial popamole pseudo-action game anyone could have ever conceived. Arkham combat shoehorned in but it's actually even more braindead than in the Arkham games (and that's quite a feat in and of itself), combined with mind-numbing check-the-map-for-waypoints-and-cool-shit(tm)-to-do world design straight out the Ubi shitbook, allied with an obligatory spend-points-to-unlock-more-cool-shit(tm)-for-your-character progression system.

In summation, it's goddamned fucking awful. And this isn't even considering the fact that the Tolkien mangling makes it actually worse. It is truly an insufferable, by-the-book focus-grouped piece of shit.

:killit:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It has nothing to do with the series except using the uruks and shoehorning in Gollum and some lore bits for brand recognition.
Hmm. So what would it have to do to have something to do with the series? Honest question.

And hmm again. Why does it have to have anything to do with the series anyway? Why can't it just be a standalone story set in that universe? Would that be so wrong?

Azazel

Arbiter
Hmm. So what would it have to do to have something to do with the series? Honest question.

And hmm again. Why does it have to have anything to do with the series anyway? Why can't it just be a standalone story set in that universe? Would that be so wrong?

It throws the established and incredibly detailed universe as written by JRR Tolkien right out the window, and then rapes it repeatedly to produce a little rape-baby of a game that looks like mommy Middle-Earth but has downs syndrome.

If you're going to set a game/movie/stageplay in an established, well known, and very detailed setting. THEN YOU STICK TO THE FUCKING SETTING AND GET FUCKED WITH YOUR CREATIVE LICENSE.

Zombra

Patron
It throws the established and incredibly detailed universe as written by JRR Tolkien right out the window
So wait ... does it actually violate canon, or does it just tell a story you don't like? Again, honest question. Trying to figure out what exactly y'all are raging about.
How do you feel about Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, Zombra?
That's right, I went there. Now what, nigga?
lol, well played. :lol: I have no real opinion on BOS as I never played it. As far as I remember hearing, it was a not very good game that told a story about, well, being BOS commandos or something, and going around fighting stuff just like the BOS supposedly did. The existence of the game didn't piss me off in terms of setting rape ... maybe it would have if I actually saw it. I don't know. But it doesn't enrage me to think about a story in the Fallout universe that doesn't involve a lonely hero in a blue jumpsuit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I actually wouldn't recommend seeing it to my worst Codex Internet nemesis if they haven't already, not even for the sake of winning a very important forum argument.

Be thankful.

Lord of the Rings isn't exactly near and dear to my heart, and my feelings aren't hurt. That's pure projection. I am however familiar with the books, and I know that anyone apologizing for or defending this game is in full-on fragile butthurt mode.

You are the only one here that's frothing at the mouth over your pet series being portrayed wrong in a game, brah.

Your opinion doesn't disagree with meit disagrees with the actual Lord of the Rings trilogy written by J.R.R. Tolkien. I know this, and can therefore call you out on your bullshit without having to allow for the possibility of you being right. There is no scenario in which your opinion could be correct. It is a worthless viewpoint.

You are wrong for the same reason someone who believes 4 + 4 = potato is wrong.

Time for a quick review of the conversation, then.

LotR has a higher bodycount per minute than Doom.

LotR's body count came from large-scale battles, not from one guy who looks something like this killing orcs for an entire book. *batman pic*

Feel free to explain the relation between "the gore being overdone doesn't kill the LotR atmosphere because LotR has people dying left and right" and "b-but the deaths come from large battles", then

A non-stop, hack-and-slash gorefest has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Lord of the Rings. Actual battles, large or small, occupy only a fraction of the trilogy.

Haha, classic Blaine. But still, I asked you to explain the connection between what I said and your reply, not your disgust for Lord of The Gothams.

Your opinion doesn't disagree with meit disagrees with the actual Lord of the Rings trilogy written by J.R.R.

To sum it up, you keep trying to steer the argument towards me defending a point I never made, so you can comfortably accuse me of defending popamole gameplay. Of course, that never happens since I just keep asking you to explain your first point, so you settle for calling me a faggot instead. :lol:

Nope, no butthurt here, only 100% factual truth bombz. r00fles!

like a man [...] like the emasculated little coward you are.

15717.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Body count isn't the same thing as nonstop hack-and-slash, which is absolutely the way in which you were trying to make your point, in every regard. There's no spin-doctoring, no putting words in your mouth... that's exactly what you were up to.

Again, you're an idiot.

Azazel

Arbiter
It throws the established and incredibly detailed universe as written by JRR Tolkien right out the window
So wait ... does it actually violate canon, or does it just tell a story you don't like? Again, honest question. Trying to figure out what exactly y'all are raging about.

It directly and in multiple instances violates the (quite rigid) cosmology which JRR Tolkien crafted for Middle Earth. The game is such an affront to the LOTR mythology that if the Tolkien Estate doesn't sue them in court for grossly violating the (again, surprisingly rigid) terms of their licensing agreement, I will slather my hat in butter and eat it.

It's a shitty fanfiction written by someone who has clearly never read the novels and thought that whole ghost-city sequence in the movies was the most badass of badassness. They might as well have taken a shit on the books, set them on fire, and played it as the opening cinematic.

Zombra

Patron
It directly and in multiple instances violates the (quite rigid) cosmology which JRR Tolkien crafted for Middle Earth.
The cosmology? So you're saying the wraith stuff breaks canon? If not, can you give a specific example (or two) of what you're talking about? (Enough generalizations about how it's an affront, it's shitty, it's bad, you don't like it, the estate should sue, dogs and cats living together, etc.)

I'm not saying you're wrong; I just want to pin it down. Thanks.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You forgot the wolf living with the lamb, the leopard lying down with the goat, and calfs and lions grazing together.

Ancient people were pretty cool, they had even more free time to come up with insane bullshit than we do.

Angthoron

Arcane
So what the fuck is going on? Should I buy three copies of this because it butthurts people? Is this decent? Why the fuck do SJWs have to obscure the fucking gameplay with their ass nebulae?

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
If not, can you give a specific example (or two) of what you're talking about?

Ranger-Orc buddy cop film.

Magical ghost-elf possession.

"you’ll see Mordor “in the days before it transforms into a blasted hellscape”" (I'm pretty convinced they're confusing Mordor with film-Isengard.)

Grimdark Gondor is engaged in constant battle to protect THE IMPERIUM OF MAN from DUR FORCES OF MORDOR who don't exist yet because Sauron is still skulking around Dol Guldur on the other side of the fucking continent.

Legolas pops an ollie off the Hornburg oh wait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom