Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Where'd you get that? From watching expert devs playing their own game on deliberately gimped difficulty so they can control what they show? Reviews all talk about repeatedly getting killed, and none talk about how easy it all is. Of course you are uber leet and always roflstomp everything, so yes, for you the feature won't have much mileage. :roll:
Why so butthurt? Did my question touch you in your special place or something?
But yeah, if hitting QTE keys for dodging and counter-attacking requires uber leet mad skillz, then what do I know - I must be uber leet and stuffies. You can worship me later, but if you ever died in Batman Arkham or Ass Creed games, then you really shouldn't wear gauntlets when playing. Consider it a pro tip.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Reviews all talk about repeatedly getting killed, and none talk about how easy it all is.

That's not true. Forbes is one of the very few arguably impartial publications that does game reviews, since it's a sideline for them.

Forbes said:
First off, enemies don’t merely attack you one at a time. You’ll get mobbed up on pretty quickly at times. And while I find the mobs to be, at this stage at least, incredibly easy once you have the basic controls down, as soon as a harder Captain joins the fray combat becomes more of a challenge. There are some monsters that can spice up a fight, too.

That being said, it’s not ever all that challenging. You can challenge yourself to stealth killing and so forth, but there’s never a sense that you’re in any real peril.

The popamole gaming "journalist" idea of difficulty is a laughingstock, so if you're reading those and getting from them that the game is challenging, you maybe dun goofed.

If the combat is anything like Arkham Asylum/City, which I have played (and it is like the Arkham series, according to most sources), it's only genuinely challenging when playing with the visual cues (for parrying etc.) turned off on harder difficulties, AND setting goals for yourself like never getting hit even once and achieving very long combo strings. Trying to utilize every gadget and takedown at least once per combat while getting long combos is something I was doing by the end in Arkham Asylum.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Slight OT, but interesting post I found regarding VRAM usage:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2402045

I wish people in here would not talk about a subject they do not know about.

People who know better see this as Windows 8 saying it needs 4GB of System Ram minimum to Windows 9 saying it needs 12 GB of RAM minimum. Doing the exact same thing.

The reason we don't need 6GB of VRAM for 1080P is the simple fact we are a NON-UNIFIED MEMORY ARCHITECTURE. They are using the VRAM for plain storage because they have to for consoles. Anybody who doesn't understand that, needs to basically stop talking when we complain because we are trying to get them NOT to do this, since we aren't bloody consoles, and we, generally, have anywhere from 8GB to 32 GB of accessible RAM, pagefiles, ssds, and PCI-e SSD Cards etc.

The main system RAM is for secondary storage and caching, not VRAM. Period. End of discussion.

1920x1080P, uses 256MB of framebuffer with 4xAA and being double buffered. The MAJORITY of what remains is up to the developer on how to use, or to be fair about 512MB with all Post Processing including. The rest of what actually remains is essentially up to developer/drivers.

Memory usage is not linear, it does not go up every freaking year. It isn't time to need "2GB+" for 1080P. When the resolution stays the same, there is only so much more Memory usage can increase without dumping EXTRA crap into VRAM. For comparison's sake, a 2GB frame buffer comes out to produce a 128 Megapixel image per frame. The resolution needed to create that is 56,633x8300

When publishers tell developers to do this for the PC:
1.) Don't have to optimize for a NUMA architecture.
2.) Don't have to prioritize assets.
3.) Don't have to write efficient rendering methods.

A 780 Ti 6GB or Titan 6GB is a waste of money, you are paying for extra storage of cached extras. The GPUs are incapable of rendering a frame buffer to even remotely fill that. Let alone the crappy GPU in these consoles.

TL;DR

You pay a premium 'cuz developers are too lazy to optimize.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Seriously, I can hardly make out any difference. But the GPU sales must flow.
well, at least there actually are some differences, like walls looking crispier in a very few places.... maybe it's something that would only show properly in much higher resolutions?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
s3qOV9E.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
$60 and 35GB for a 30-hour game.

Actually, 30 hours is a remarkable achievement for popamole, but still not close to the ∞ hours offered by SMAC.

praetor

Arcane
SMAC is a bit unfair to compare, as would be various other grand strategy games or many multiplayer ones etc... but whatever

this looks like it might okay to not remove from inventory check out (mostly thanks to that nemesis system. it really does sound cool), and if it really does offer 30h of singleplayer experience, than it's more than most AAAs (but still somewhat less than most other open world games)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But yes, in gameplay terms [dying as part of gameplay] sounds kewl. Should allow them to make the game harder since dying repeatedly just makes the game more interesting.
Yeah. Especially because a guy levels up when he kills you, so he gets tougher every time ... you'll have to step up next time you face him.

Reviews all talk about repeatedly getting killed, and none talk about how easy it all is.
That's not true. Forbes is one of the very few arguably impartial publications that does game reviews, since it's a sideline for them.
Forbes said:
It’s not ever all that challenging.
I stand corrected ... my bad for not choosing Forbes as my #1 game review source :P

toroid

Arcane
Nobody has mentioned how repetitive this is. Go find a gameplay stream and watch it in the background for about an hour. Friggin' nonstop Batman combat.

yeah I'll just post this

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
They went full retard with the gore in this game. It completely kills the LoTR atmosphere. Actually it doesn't have any. Poor Tolkien.

Feel free to explain the relation between "the gore being overdone doesn't kill the LotR atmosphere because LotR has people dying left and right" and "b-but the deaths come from large battles", then

Btw, you seem mad. Are you still upset about the game not reflecting what you imagined Mordor looked like when you read the books?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A non-stop, hack-and-slash gorefest has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Lord of the Rings. Actual battles, large or small, occupy only a fraction of the trilogy.

What you're doing here is taking large battles and thinly spreading the presumed body count over every page in order to justify a AAA button-masher, not too dissimilar to spreading a small pat of butter over a slice of toast, and for that you are a disingenuous idiot.

Either that, or you haven't actually read the books. That seems likely, particularly given you made a point of mentioning Legolas.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Your opinion doesn't disagree with meit disagrees with the actual Lord of the Rings trilogy written by J.R.R. Tolkien. I know this, and can therefore call you out on your bullshit without having to allow for the possibility of you being right. There is no scenario in which your opinion could be correct. It is a worthless viewpoint.

You are wrong for the same reason someone who believes 4 + 4 = potato is wrong.

If you'd ever read the books, you wouldn't be spewing this stupidity. Either address my response directly, like a man rather than an armchair politician, or slink off and avoid owning up to your mistakes (such as only having seen the movies, and making statements based on that) like the emasculated little coward you are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom