Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MACE (MlDAlR now with less feature creep)

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
MlDAlR has resumed development under members of its community, it is now called MlDAlR Community Edition.

MACE Website
Closed Beta Trailer
July 2020 Development Update
  • All of the unfinished and unnecessary basetard aim at cloud genspam and vehicles shit has been forcefully ripped out in order to focus on the gamemodes that actually worked and that people actually played, namely LT, Arena & TDM.
  • Pub server version of LT has extra bells and whistles that the "comp style" doesn't have, Plasma Guns, Blasters, different grenades and packs, but no extra armor types, inventories, generators, vehicles or guided missile launchers.
  • Balance changes and active development is ongoing.
  • TDM & Arena modes are now supported fully, containing spicy powerups and having many different maps.
  • The graphics have been greatly upgraded to be far less cartoony and low budget-Overwatch looking.
  • Servers are no longer hosted with shitty budget hamster wheel windows server providers like Branzone and instead are hosted on proper linux servers from actual providers like amazon and linode. Network performance & lag compensation has greatly improved due to this.
  • There are pubs every night or two even in the current closed beta state, much more pub activity than there was at any stage of Original MlDAlR's closed or open beta.
  • Pugs are pretty much constant every day.
  • On the roadmap are a Team Rabbit 2 style mode, Duel (1v1) mode, a full user interface and hud overhaul, more maps and more polish.
  • All non-cosmetic progression has been scrapped. You get all the weapons and gear right out of the gate.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
http://store.steampowered.com/app/439370/Midair/

So Midair finally launched on Early Access with plans for open beta later this year and full free to play launch Q1 next year. It's a sort of Tribes-like FPS-Z game with big maps, vehicles, skiing, GOTTA GO FAST, jetpacks and all that cool shit. I used to be big into Tribes: Ascend but the [hebrew gentlemen] at Hi-Rez Studios completely abandoned it, not doing anything with it anymore after all the devs left, I'll still wait for release because lol EA but man am I tempted. Anyone here have it, if so, how is it?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think that's a really weird position to hold due to how many different multiplayer games there are but that's your opinion man. Tribes is a Multiplayer game first and foremost, Starsiege: Tribes was one of the first games to actually not ship with a singleplayer campaign during it's time.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Anybody playing this? I got back into Tribes: Ascend for a short time after the OOTB patch, but nothing's scratched the itch since. If it has a playerbase I might support the devs in Early Access, as I figure the fact that it released on my birthday is some kind of omen.

Art style on the characters looks godawful, I must admit, but if they get the gameplay mechanics and physics right I will gladly look past that.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think the art style is nice, colorful and minimal which isn't exactly what the originals were but I'm fine with it. I'm just so thirsty for Tribes.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Why should I play this over Unreal 99 with teleporter and low grav mod? Sell me on this.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Why should I play this over Unreal 99 with teleporter and low grav mod? Sell me on this.
Because Tribes (what Midair is based off of) and Unreal are very different games. The core movement in Tribes is done via skiing, where going down hills will speed you up and you will keep sliding at very high speed.
Here's a video of what movement is like in Tribes, Tribes also has very little or no hitscan weaponry, so it's speed + explosives and projectiles only.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Because UT99 has no cool movement mechanics or large scale maps like Tribes. Its not even really comparable since Tribes is almost totally team focused aside from some side gamemodes.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Wait wtf is Tribes? I thought we were talking about Midair? I guess it's supposed to be similar? So this is a team based game ala TF2, I see. Looks interesting from what I'm seeing here.

Sadly team based games end up being cancer from my experience. Especially if you don't have any friends to play with.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Midair is pretty much a Tribes 1 reskin and really isn't anything like TF2. I got it through family sharing so I will report here later on the state of the game :salute:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Wait wtf is Tribes? I thought we were talking about Midair? I guess it's supposed to be similar? So this is a team based game ala TF2, I see. Looks interesting from what I'm seeing here.

Sadly team based games end up being cancer from my experience. Especially if you don't have any friends to play with.

I'll help you out a bit here.

Starsiege: Tribes (1998) was a team-focused FPS game by Dynamix with an emphasis on its Capture The Flag gamemode in large-scale outdoor maps, featuring various weapons, equipment, armor types, vehicles, and a jetpack. Players quickly realized that it was possible to "ski" by repeatedly jumping on terrain so as to remove friction, allowing them to ride down slopes and gain speed with the jetpack. This moved Tribes from a relatively slow-paced tactical team-based affair into a fast-paced skill-oriented game, with even more strategic depth.

It was succeeded by Dynamix's Tribes 2 in 2001, which still featured jump-based skiing and many of the same elements, but was generally buggy and sluggish until the Tribes 2 Classic patch amended it to play more like the first game. Irrational Games made a sequel called Tribes: Vengeance in 2004, but it was pretty mediocre and never got patched, so who cares.

Tribes: Ascend was released in 2012 by HiRez Studios with a free-to-play model and classes similar to TF2. It featured the same core gameplay, though jump-based skiing was replaced with frictionless sliding and many elements were simplified. After a long hiatus, HiRez released a big update in 2015 to make it play a bit more like the older Tribes games, but the damage had been done with fundamentally broken game balance and a fairly suspect monetization model (FWIW I still put 500 hours into the game and had a blast getting shit on in casual competitive ladders).

Midair is an attempt (like GarageGames' Legions: Overdrive before it) by Archetype Studios to produce a spiritual successor to Tribes, and is exceedingly similar in core design. Midair basically exists due to frustration with Tribes: Ascend's design, and is an attempt to return to the glory days of Tribes while bringing some new improvements to the table. The basic idea is GOTTA GO FAST -- you have to gain an intuition for how to use the game's physics to produce momentum and also how to aim at moving targets using relatively slow projectiles. It looks like Midair also features the iconic base-building and equipment customization of Tribes as well, so there's plenty of strategic depth and a high skill floor/ceiling.

There's a ton separating Tribes/Midair/Legion from Quake, Unreal Tournament, or TF2, so I wouldn't write it off. There's a sort of zen that comes with playing Tribes, but you won't feel it until you've sunk in over a hundred hours of frustration, constantly dying to people who are able to ski laps around you while pelting you with midair explosives. As such, it's my favorite multiplayer game ever.

Classic Tribes 2 montage for some sample gameplay:

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
After a few matches, I'd have to say it's pretty good. The game is a bit streamlined for better or for worse (dedicated engineer kit instead of individual turret packs, health is gotten off dead bodies instead of health packs in your inventory, choice is between grenades or mines instead of both with different types) but the core gameplay resembles T1/T2. I haven't played any maps with vehicles yet but the movement feels great and like T1, the weapons feel good (I prefer the chaingun of the previous games to this one but other than that they feel good), and the base element is there unlike Tribes Ascend where everyone started with their equipment so destroying a generator/inventory station meant jack shit. It still has a long way to go but I'm liking what I see so far. A lot of the maps are clearly unfinished with flat textures and I'm not too big of a fan of the art style compared to T1/T2 but in motion it's not too bad. It's definitely better than Ascend or Vengeance.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
After a few matches, I'd have to say it's pretty good. The game is a bit streamlined for better or for worse (dedicated engineer kit instead of individual turret packs, health is gotten off dead bodies instead of health packs in your inventory, choice is between grenades or mines instead of both with different types) but the core gameplay resembles T1/T2. I haven't played any maps with vehicles yet but the movement feels great and like T1, the weapons feel good (I prefer the chaingun of the previous games to this one but other than that they feel good), and the base element is there unlike Tribes Ascend where everyone started with their equipment so destroying a generator/inventory station meant jack shit. It still has a long way to go but I'm liking what I see so far. A lot of the maps are clearly unfinished with flat textures and I'm not too big of a fan of the art style compared to T1/T2 but in motion it's not too bad. It's definitely better than Ascend or Vengeance.

Thanks for the info. Few questions, is the skiing movement like Ascend where you just hold down a key to lessen friction, or like 1 and 2? How does equipment work? Can you still work as an engineer/defender role and plop down turrets and gadgets like you could in Ascend? I loved that about Ascend, by far my favorite role.

In pubs Tribes (and as a result, Midair) is generally not a very team based game, you just select the role you are comfortable with and do what you want, on the higher level it requires a lot of coordination though.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Oh shit I forgot the most important question, is there Shazbot?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Man you should see some of Tribes' videos. Pretty sick stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
11968.jpg
24218.jpg

Hmmm...

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Glad it's out. Wonder how it compares to TA. How does it diffrentiate it from the former?

Also - MAN is it dumb to offer it for money now, and F2P later. TA got it's big crowd in the first place by being free for everyone.
They should have done that invite thing at first. Bitches love invites.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Glad it's out. Wonder how it compares to TA. How does it diffrentiate it from the former?

Also - MAN is it dumb to offer it for money now, and F2P later. TA got it's big crowd in the first place by being free for everyone.
They should have done that invite thing at first. Bitches love invites.

It's still in the beta phase, with quite a bit of unfinished stuff and general lack of polish. The devs have kept their word so far and I trust what they're doing, after all, they've been making a game with a tiny budget and team for 4 years. The price of getting access to the game while in beta and alpha has always been weird, IMO it should have been 15 to 20 yurobux/burgertokens instead for more potential players. Kickstarter cost 100€ for access to the pre-alpha, that was 1 or 2 years ago in the earliest of early stages though.

Destroid

Arcane

Man you should see some of Tribes' videos. Pretty sick stuff.

I always watch this one when I want to nostalgia bomb myself.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Skiing is a separate key from jumping unlike T1/T2 and its automatically set up as RMB for jump/jet. There's a dedicated pack for all engineer related things like inventory stations, sensors, and 3 types of turrets. Also shazbot is replaced with "Grrr" :decline:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also - MAN is it dumb to offer it for money now, and F2P later.

Oh, it's supposed to become free after beta? Das ist gut, because I was about to say I'm tempted to check it but 30 eurobucks is kind of steep.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Also - MAN is it dumb to offer it for money now, and F2P later.

Oh, it's supposed to become free after beta? Das ist gut, because I was about to say I'm tempted to check it but 30 eurobucks is kind of steep.
From what I understand if you buy the early access you get everything unlocked right off the bat whereas f2p players have to unlock them but I think you'll still be able to give shekels to unlock everything after launch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom