Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Microsoft want to get into PC gaming again

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Microsoft Really, Really Is Into PC This Time, Apparently

halo5.jpg

RPS’ D.I.C.E. Red Carpet Mean Pants Hard Question Corner returns! Honestly, I’ve been pushing for an interview with Microsoft about PC gaming for ages, but the titanic purveyor of Xs and boneshas been less than receptive. Fortunately, the red carpet is nice in that there is, for roughly five minutes, NO ESCAPING. So Microsoft partner creative director Ken Lobb approached, and I lobbed every question about Microsoft’s latest (and five millionth) re-dedication to PC gaming I could think of. His responses were vaguely promising, but I’m obviously still skeptical. Here’s what happened.

RPS: Your messaging on PC gaming as of late has been mixed. Some of your people have put it on level with mobile and tablet games while others have professed a new commitment to it. You also recently hired Steam’s former director of business development. Where is Microsoft at with PC gaming?

Lobb: So we love PC. It’s obviously a source of huge revenue for Microsoft. The reality is that in years past we were the Xbox division. Although many of us love playing on PC, we can only make so many games. We can only do so much.

Now we’re one [unified] Microsoft. I don’t see this as pressure. I see it as an opportunity. We have more support internally to support PC more. That’s great! My only expectation would be, please let us continue to do that over a five-year period so we can have real impact. That’s how it feels right now. We’re getting very strong support internally. So we’re really going after PC.

xbox.jpg

RPS: Will launches of games Microsoft has locked down as exclusives be concurrent on both Xbox and PC from now on?

Lobb: It’s my belief that the goal of a development team should be to make the best thing for each particular platform. So I think it makes sense to take Game A, maybe it’s exclusive on one of the platforms, but maybe you do some support games on the side platforms. Like, “Hey, I’ll do a big game here, and then I’ll do a tablet game or a smaller web thing, etc.”

Ubisoft did a great job last year. I played Kenway’s fleet on an iPad and I played Assassin’s Creed IV on an Xbox.

RPS: Yikes. Are you saying you consider PC to be a “side platform,” a la tablet or mobile? Other Microsoft developers have certainly suggested as much.

Lobb: Oh, not at all! What I’m saying is, that could very much potentially go the other way. Maybe there’s a big exclusive on PC and there’s an Xbox Live Arcade game to support it. Or a mobile game. It makes perfect sense to develop that way. Same ship, same parts. Maybe you buy one and get another free.

projspark.jpg

I think it really comes down to what the developer wants to do. It’s not that we think all games should – in some way or another – be on all platforms. Being in publishing, it’s sort of my role to help developers answer the question [of where they'd like their game to end up]. So a lot of that question is answered by, “OK developer, what do you want to do? We want to be here to help you.”

RPS: Do you have any major PC games or exclusives on the horizon?

Lobb: I can’t make any announcements. But we are very dedicated to that space.

RPS: Are you looking into traditional pay upfront triple-A products, or is Microsoft largely looking into free-to-play and/or browser stuff?

Lobb: Free-to-play, to me, is not a decision to be made as a business model at the end [of development]. It really comes down to what type of game are you building, developer, and how do you want to monetize it? Do you pay upfront, do you want to have DLC, do you want to have a sustainable ongoing experience, do you want to go after free-to-play?

It’s more about the game design than support for a particular monetization style. We don’t believe that to be on PC you must be free-to-play or microtransaction-based.

gf.jpg

RPS: In the wake of years and years of disappointment – countless ons, offs, flip-flops, Games For Windows, etc – why should people think that this time is going to be any different?

Lobb: The only way we can build trust in our community is by making great games. The PC community is more vibrant than it’s ever been before. I love it. We build a platform and other people make games on top of it. We do things to help set up the development community, and we also love to make games for you.

RPS: So this is it? You’re committed to PC, even if, say, you face some initial setbacks or things don’t quite go according to plan?

Lobb: Absolutely.

RPS: OK then. We will hold you to that. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Microsoft: Jason, over here you will do this, this and that, they MS way.
Jason: But... you hired me because you wanted my years of expertise at Valve to push Microsoft into the PC gaming scene.
Microsoft: Yeah, well, we do, but so long as you do things our way.
Jason: \_(%)_/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Microsoft: Steam has been the "backbone" of PC gaming for past 10 years

During a Game Developers Conference panel today, Xbox boss Phil Spencer praised Steam and what the company has done for PC gaming over the past ten years.

"They've been the backbone of PC gaming for the last decade," Spencer said. "As a Windows company, I appreciate what they've done."

Steam has focused on PC gaming more, in a lot of ways, than Microsoft has, Spencer said.

Also during the panel, Spencer said PC gamers can expect "more focus" from Microsoft in the PC gaming space in the time ahead. Spencer stressed that Microsoft doesn't plan to compete directly with Valve, but said "it's important to invest in [PC gaming] in a real way."

Finally, he said PC gamers will see "tier-1" initiatives for PC gaming from Microsoft beginning this summer, though he did not say more.

Earlier this week, Microsoft announced Direct X12, the latest version of the graphics API that promises major improvements for Xbox One and PC developers.

Valve is, of course, soon to become a competitor to Microsoft in the home console space with its line of Steam Machines. Spencer isn't worried about the competition though. Steam Machines "make sense" for Valve, Spencer said, because the company already has an established storefront and 65 million users--many of which "buy a lot of content."

Overall, Spencer said a high tide raises all ships--so he’s not worried about competitors like the PlayStation 4 or Steam Machines.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Microsoft is full of shit. Release the fucking Forza on PC then. Except first Halo none of the other 5-6 Halo games got a PC release.
Their focus lately have been on microstransactions sadly and even if they do invest into some PC games its gonna be some grind games with paywalls.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Ah, back in the day Microsoft Studios published good games. If only they could get back to that.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good idea, looking forward to see hundreds of casual crap aka Angry Birds in Windows 8.

Written on Linux

Dexter

Arcane
Also during the panel, Spencer said PC gamers can expect "more focus" from Microsoft in the PC gaming space in the time ahead. Spencer stressed that Microsoft doesn't plan to compete directly with Valve, but said "it's important to invest in [PC gaming] in a real way."
frightnight1985petervincentfnvsfn.r.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When they talk about more focus on PC they don't mean their big console games coming over. They want you to own both a Windows PC and an Xbox One, not get everything from one platform.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
When they talk about more focus on PC they don't mean their big console games coming over. They want you to own both a Windows PC and an Xbox One, not get everything from one platform.

aka they're greedy whores who aren't even willing to suck my cock but have no issues spying on me.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

aka they're greedy whores who aren't even willing to suck my cock but have no issues spying on me.
Why is this such a big issue? Pretty much every modern laptop and a phone/tablet got a webcam or a frontfacing camera.
Every phonecall and text message I make is recorded and saved for a couple of years, every mail i sent and recieved over Gmail is saved on Googles servers.
Theres bunch of other things worth panicking about if youre gonna go all paranoid and you worry about Microsoft employees listening to you wanking infront of the TV. C'mon bro.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Microsoft is full of shit. Release the fucking Forza on PC then. Except first Halo none of the other 5-6 Halo games got a PC release.
Their focus lately have been on microstransactions sadly and even if they do invest into some PC games its gonna be some grind games with paywalls.

Well, 2 did. 3 might.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Jokes aside, Microsoft IS PC. Windows and DirectX. Microsoft being beaten on console field, retreating to PC, MIGHT drastically improve the situation. Too bad it's probably about mind- numbing bullshit like new DRM platform, Windows Appstore, etc...

To be honest, I expect the worst. Watch it: current CEO is Indian. Never trust dark- skinned people who are able to levitate.

I bet you didn't give a shit about CIA backdoors in Windows 98. When you were basically drowning in good games made for this system.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I bet you didn't give a shit about CIA backdoors in Windows 98. When you were basically drowning in good games made for this system.

You're right: I didn't. I was playing my PS1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom