Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Microsoft want to get into PC gaming again

tormund

Arcane
every fucking retard bashes Microsoft and loves his smart phone.
Not really, from what I saw as far as gaming goes MS has their own rabid fanbase that will seemingly support everything they do from first Xbox onwards, especially in the US... It is just that something like this is very difficult for anyone to defend without that person sounding like a retard or industry shill (not that there wasn't a lot of defense and justifications despite that).

Whiran

Magister
Microsoft needs to just fuck off back to their failure of a console.
I'm not sure if you can call over 20 million units (as of February 2016) sold as a failure.

Sure, that's less than the PS4 but 20 million is pretty healthy since release.

Competition in the console market is good.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Microsoft needs to just fuck off back to their failure of a console.
I'm not sure if you can call over 20 million units (as of February 2016) sold as a failure.

Sure, that's less than the PS4 but 20 million is pretty healthy since release.

Competition in the console market is good.
Their next big release runs at sub-30FPS and 720p. It's a failure in more ways than one.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
every fucking retard bashes Microsoft and loves his smart phone.
Not really, from what I saw as far as gaming goes MS has their own rabid fanbase that will seemingly support everything they do from first Xbox onwards, especially in the US... It is just that something like this is very difficult for anyone to defend without that person sounding like a retard or industry shill (not that there wasn't a lot of defense and justifications despite that).

Is true. No comment.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/201...encer-states-halo-5-probably-not-coming-to-pc

Spencer explained in an interview that not every Xbox One game would be getting a Windows 10 counterpart. "I don’t want to make it some kind of artificial mandate, because then I think we end up with ‘Frankengames’, games that really weren't meant for a certain platform. And because some suit said, ‘Hey, everything’s gotta run on both platforms’, you end up with something people don’t want," he noted, adding "You should expect it when franchises look like they belong on both platforms, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a mandate for the studios because it’s not.
However, that doesn't explain why Halo 5 wouldn't be a good fit on PC. The reasoning Spencer gave for Halo 5 not coming to PC was confusing, at best. "In terms of Halo FPS on PC, I think there’s a ton of opportunity for us right now, but I don’t want to get into a world where we’re looking back, like at Halo 5. It doesn’t mean there’s nothing there that could ever end up on PC, but I’d much rather look forward with what our plans are," was his response.
There is also the matter of multiplayer. Microsoft's big push has been Xbox One/Windows 10 crossplatform play, and in the past, gamepad users have had a hard time competing against keyboard/mouse users when it comes to first person shooters. Not including a crossplay feature on Halo 5 would be unseemly at this point.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don’t want to make it some kind of artificial mandate, because then I think we end up with ‘Frankengames’, games that really weren't meant for a certain platform

Are you fucking kidding me.

:hmmm:

So how does this new PoS prevent mods? Is there some kind of DRM that goes all the way to the OS layer preventing any modification of the files?

Norfleet

As we all know, RTS work so well with gamepads.
Does anything except fighting games really work well on gamepads? FPS on console is an abomination, too. There's a reason they won't let consoletards face off against the Master Race: Because they'd get destroyed.

pippin

Does anything except fighting games really work well on gamepads? FPS on console is an abomination, too. There's a reason they won't let consoletards face off against the Master Race: Because they'd get destroyed.

Platformers? It depends though. I find it extremely uncomfortable to play twin stick shooters with a gamepad. For instance, Hotline Miami, and those isometric Tomb Raider games made recently. Perhaps it's because my muscle memory is already programmed to work with wasd and a mouse, or the directional keys, ctrl, alt and the space bar.

Endemic

Arcane

X-COM and Red Alert were okay on the PS1. That was a long time ago though.

Gamepads are shitty for FPS but fits almost anything else well. I even tried PS1 port of Diablo on pad and it was surprisingly fun and comfortable.

Severian Silk

I play simulators on the PC using a gamepad. The gamepad itself works fine for flying and shooting. But you still need the extra keyboard keys for all the other commands that don't fit. So I guess you can't play them from a couch.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm fine with UWP apps/games, they don't fuck with the Registry, run in a sandbox and are easy to deal with. There are some technical limitations to UWP games on the PC at the moment and until they're addressed UWP games won't be on par with win32 games, but they'll get there.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I play simulators on the PC using a gamepad. The gamepad itself works fine for flying and shooting. But you still need the extra keyboard keys for all the other commands that don't fit. So I guess you can't play them from a couch.

You can with a wireless keyboard.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Tim Sweeney is still mad at Microsoft

"They can change the rules of the game at any time"

Epic Games co-founder Tim Sweeney reiterated his concerns about Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform at the GamesBeat Summit yesterday, using his time on stage to warn of the dangers of the company's approach.

"Nobody is adopting UWP except the small group of developers Microsoft is paying to do so," he pointed out.

Microsoft tried to address some of his very public concerns at Build last month, but Sweeney dismissed those comments as "propaganda" during his talk.

"On stage Phil Spencer said that Xbox is an open platform, which surprises me because you have to get your game concept approved before you can start developing it and then you have to get every update approved and Microsoft has absolute control. And guess what? You don't know who your customers are. They sell it through their store and it's not your platform. I think they're just in propaganda mode at that point."

He said developers needed to defend their businesses and that direct relationship with customers. He said many developers don't want to speak out and take on Microsoft and for others used the analogy of slowly boiling an amphibian.

"If you throw a frog in boiling water, he'll just hop out. But if you put him in warm water and you slowly ramp up the temperature, he will not notice and he'll be boiled. But a lot of frogs in the industry have already been boiled. Look at Facebook: Every company moved their brand presence to Facebook, sending out messages for their customers to receive. Now, you have to pay to send out your messages to people who chose to follow you. A boiling frog," he declared.

"Microsoft has given itself the ability to force dash updates without your authorisation. It will just update itself and you can't do anything about it. They can change the rules of the game at any time."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-05-05-tim-sweeney-is-still-mad-at-microsoft

Achilles

Arcane
That's nice, as long as they aren't broken messes like Quantum Break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom