Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Microsoft shutting down GFWL - removed from Batman:AA/AC, Bioshock 2, Dawn of War 2 and Dark Souls

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Unfortunately, you will not be able to continue playing from your current save. You will need to start a new game.
Well, it's not like I was going to revisit those saves anyway....

or even replay them. Onward to Origins maybe.

Dr Tomo

Learned
So for the Batman games, is the securom 3 limit activation limit is gone? Might actually purchase the latest Batman game if they are doing it for the entire series.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So for the Batman games, is the securom 3 limit activation limit is gone? Might actually purchase the latest Batman game if they are doing it for the entire series.

Yeah they three just use Steamworks DRM now. Good stuff.

Fallout 3 still has it. :M

In fairness just hit ESC and it goes away completely. And the DLC was DRM free, so you can just back it up.

Still it would be nice if they removed it officially.
mods already fixed that.

But what about the CHEEVOS, bro? :patriot:

You mean the fake, non-Steam Cheevos?

I found an achievement hunters forum the other day while on a trip through google image search. It was a harrowing experience. "No achievements, no buy", "What's the point of releasing an expansion without achievements, that's just lazy", "Looks boring, but might buy it for the achievements".

Dr Tomo

Learned

Yeah they three just use Steamworks DRM now. Good stuff.

Well it is the lesser of two evils, since the former would have me beg their customer support for another install if I went over the three limit and "if" I provide a legitimate reason why I am installing the game a fourth time. It surprises me how many people support this and question why I would need a fourth install.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...loves-you-will-bring-first-party-games-to-pc/

Microsoft Still Loves You, Will Bring First-Party Games To PC
By Graham Smith on November 8th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

live1.jpg

“I think it’s fair to say that we’ve lost our way a bit in supporting Windows games,” says Microsoft Studios VP Phil Spencer in an interview with Shacknews. “But we’re back.”

As spotted on PC Gamer, Spencer goes on to promise “more invdividual projects” on Windows than Microsoft Studios have had in ten years. So far, the only first-party XBox One game announced for the PC is Project Spark, and it’s a Windows 8 exclusive.

Spencer’s comments are somewhat contrary to those made earlier this year, when Microsoft said that they are bringing family and casual games to Windows 8, but “not what you might consider a more traditional desktop PC game,” according to Matt Booty, general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms at the XBox One launch event.

Maybe Jason Holtman joining the company from Valve has changed things, but Microsoft’s PC-related promises are hollow by now.

Games for Windows Live “will continue to get better,” said senior producer of Microsoft’s interactive entertainment business, Kevin Unangst, in 2011, before the service continued to get worse. It closed down earlier this month, trapping gamer’s saved games inside with a final act of malice.

“It is our job to lead the way on PC,” said Microsoft Games Studios’ general manager Dave Luehmann in an interview with MCV in 2010, before pointing to Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight as examples, not knowing that both games would be mediocre, that support for each would be discontinued, and that no further games would be announced.

As a bigger online store was launched in 2010, Peter Orullian, group product manager for Windows PC and Mobile, told Kotaku that they aimed to “bring some of the rigour, thought and success we’ve had on console to bare in the PC space. PC games is a place where we are doubling down.”

“Windows 8 will represent a real new push into PC gaming,” a source told TechRadar in 2010, proving simultaneously why you shouldn’t quote anonymous sources and why people sometimes want to remain anonymous.

“It is absolutely important and a strategic advantage for us over, for instance, Apple,” Microsoft’s Leila Martine told TechRadar in 2009. “So should we be focused on involving and putting on features such as DirectX 11? Absolutely we should.”

“Games for Windows truly thrived in 2007. We went from two titles in 2006 to a continually growing portfolio of over 60 titles here at CES 2008,” said Kevin Unangst, senior global director of Games for Windows in the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft, as part of a press release. “We delivered on our promise one year ago to reinvigorate the PC gaming space and bring the best portfolio of games to Windows. And this is just the beginning. With our partners, we will continue to drive the resurgence of Windows-based gaming.”

“For the first time in Microsoft’s history, we’re releasing an operating system built from the ground up with gaming as a core scenario. With a worldwide presence of over 200 million gamers of all stripes, we’re taking the world’s most popular gaming platform and making it easier, safer, and more fun for everyone,” wrote Peter Moore in a letter in 2007. He continues by predicting a PC gaming “renaissance”, and it would be almost six months before he’d state that he was “overly optimistic”.

Meanwhile the planet Earth’s rotation continues to slow, each day a millionth of a second longer than the last, as humanity slides irreversibly towards the heat death of the universe and the end of all things.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Fucking finally... I had so much hate when I bought GTA4 via Steam, only to find out GFWL ruined it with it's shitty DRM and log-in to save bullshit.

Heresiarch

Prophet
The statement above smells like that M$ is getting worried of SteamOS. So they're trying to make gaming on Windows still relevant in the future.

aron searle

Arcane
Not defending GFWL, but it amuses me that all these years later people still think you need to sign-in online to play and save games on GFWL. Now they think all those games are going to be unplayable. It's just such repeated ignorance and a refusal to listen to the fact that you can make an offline local profile and play all these games without ever connecting GFWL to the internet.

Anyway... good riddance to a shitty service.

You couldn't use the offline mode for Dirt 3, some games required you to make an on-line account, which would need to be online each time you played.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would tell those Microsoft people to go to hell for canceling Sawyer's game, but doing so freed him up to work on a much better one, much like how Aliens's cancellation lead to New Vegas. So I should really be thanking them for being so stupid and short-sighted.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
“Games for Windows truly thrived in 2007. We went from two titles in 2006 to a continually growing portfolio of over 60 titles here at CES 2008,” said Kevin Unangst, senior global director of Games for Windows in the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft, as part of a press release. “We delivered on our promise one year ago to reinvigorate the PC gaming space and bring the best portfolio of games to Windows. And this is just the beginning. With our partners, we will continue to drive the resurgence of Windows-based gaming.”
How does forcing a fucking broken piece of shit on gamers via the subtle art of throwing cash at developers to support said fucking broken piece of shit, translate into some kind of "PC gaming resurgence"? Jesus fuck there is so much idiocy in those quotes it's too much for me to take.

Dexter

Arcane
So can I install steam gersion of batman aa goty without securom and gfwl or should I wait and use the tpb version?

It doesn't have GFWL anymore. They removed it, that's the point of this thread.
ahh thanks. is securom 3 activation bullshit still on or is that removed too?
Afaik they removed SecuRom too, you can't really do much wrong with getting the WB Humble Bundle on right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/
Scribblenauts Unlimited is also somewhat fun for the sake of offering a refreshing gameplay concept and FEAR3 is somewhat passable if you only play it for the CoOp with someone.

So can I install steam gersion of batman aa goty without securom and gfwl or should I wait and use the tpb version?

It doesn't have GFWL anymore. They removed it, that's the point of this thread.
ahh thanks. is securom 3 activation bullshit still on or is that removed too?
Afaik they removed SecuRom too, you can't really do much wrong with getting the WB Humble Bundle on right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/
Scribblenauts Unlimited is also somewhat fun for the sake of offering a refreshing gameplay concept and FEAR3 is somewhat passable if you only play it for the CoOp with someone.
Thanks
I got key for batman aa already. wanna try scribblenauts. but $1 is too steep for me for an idle curiosity.

How does forcing a fucking broken piece of shit on gamers via the subtle art of throwing cash at developers to support said fucking broken piece of shit, translate into some kind of "PC gaming resurgence"? Jesus fuck there is so much idiocy in those quotes it's too much for me to take.

Haven't you heard? It's not rape if you deafen yourself to the screams first.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I hope the death of shitbox leads to M$ exiting the entertainment software sector.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom