Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Microsoft shutting down GFWL - removed from Batman:AA/AC, Bioshock 2, Dawn of War 2 and Dark Souls

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If they actually removed Securom and GFWL from the Batman games I actually might buy them for dirt cheap.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Damn you I edited my post. Anyway, cheapest I've seen them was on some Amazon promo -- think it was like $7.50 for the pair of them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I just bought Arkham City, didn't know it was DRMception or some shit

Well at least it's cheap.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
It would be really nice, if Minvera's Den would be available sometime in the future on the Steam, because i heard many good things about this DLC, but never could force myself into trying to buy it from Live Store or whatever that Microsoft site is called.

Dexter

Arcane
I just bought Arkham City, didn't know it was DRMception or some shit

Well at least it's cheap.
Yeah, Arkham City was one of those games...

dzplmgukur.jpg

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/31/m...-problem-yet-ive-lost-games-for-windows-live/

There's a page long Guide on the Steam forums on how to successfully install it and all the "DLC" that comes with the GOTY: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2318327

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Didnt Microsoft partner with EA for the XBone? If thats the case perhaps MS is looking to release using Origin as its DRM du jour...

Turjan

Arcane
Microsft + EA... let's hope they bonded with a suicide pact.
Unfortunately, that would probably be more like suicide bombers, and they would take a whole lot down with them.

So, GFWL has a store? I never noticed. The installation procedure that's shown up there matches my experience, so I keep all contact at minimum. The only bonus point I give them is for the inane username they assigned to me.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh god, I had forgotten about GFWL until just now. I remember playing Dawn of War II, having to deal with GFWL's bullshit in addition to Steam's bullshit. It was a fucking nightmare.

I gave up after my second game, that thing was a torture tool back then. DoW II dropped it last year if I remember right though.
I hope GFWL burn in depths of Nine Hells, with EA and M$ if possible

A user named cat

I had to use GFWL for Flatout 2 when I just wanted to race with a friend from time to time. Horrible, clunky, slow and worthless - just more bullshit to wade through when you want to simply fire up a game and fucking play.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Did i get it wrong or microsoft ported Halo 3 to PC

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.facebook.com/gamesforwindows/posts/10151523556336389
As part of the upcoming Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points will be retired, and the Xbox.com PC marketplace will be closed as of August 22, 2013. We encourage you to spend your Microsoft Points balance prior to this change. Although you will not be able to purchase new games, you can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows LIVE client software as usual. More information is available here: http://support.xbox.com/pc/pc-marketplace-closing

:yeah:

Last edited:
Signal renewed interest in PC gaming by stealing millions of dollars worth of fakemoney by ending the current points system.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I only ever bought one thing on GFWL and it was Minerva's Den. I wonder if they will somehow transfer that purchase to Steam, which I would appreciate.

Actually I got some of the Fallout 3 DLC from them too, but that shit was DRM free and I backed it up, so whatever.

xemous

Arcane
I only ever bought one thing on GFWL and it was Minerva's Den. I wonder if they will somehow transfer that purchase to Steam, which I would appreciate.

Actually I got some of the Fallout 3 DLC from them too, but that shit was DRM free and I backed it up, so whatever.
im in the same boat with regards to minerva's den. heres hoping we can transfer the dlc key over to steam.

Dr Tomo

Learned
If they actually removed Securom and GFWL from the Batman games I actually might buy them for dirt cheap.

This is the main reason I switched to GG over steam since Gabe didn't notify me the drm crap that came with somes games. The amount of rage I had when I learned that I only have 2 activation left and once those are gone I had to contact WB support so they can give me possibly one more. This is exactly why I am torrenting their new Batman game since they are keeping securom with limited activations which I rather take GFWL over that garbage. At least with GFWL I can play a game once the stars align properly unlike with the limited activation of securom where I have to either pirate my own game or grovel to the customer service rep for one more activation in the future.

Related? http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/14/4622618/microsoft-hires-jason-holtman-former-steam-boss

Microsoft hires the man who made Steam great, signals renewed interest in PC gaming

Pfft for their Xbone store and that's it as I think MS on't throw more money to tap into the pc market. I am most likely wrong since Uplay is super popular among PC gamers and people lap that up like a street dog.

Last edited:

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
q513wVZ.jpg

The first paragraph.

"As the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down."

That part apparently was removed recently since it was posted on Reddit, and now the page doesnt mention it anymore.

Oh god, I had forgotten about GFWL until just now. I remember playing Dawn of War II, having to deal with GFWL's bullshit in addition to Steam's bullshit. It was a fucking nightmare.

When I aquired it legally some time back, I had to make a GFWL acc to play. At that time they had streamlined the account creation to the point where you didn't even have to make a nickname, it automatically assigned you one :lol: I think mine was AvengingAxe227 or something. That shit is some of the most dysfunctional crap I've ever seen.

Mine was "RattyTangent505", for a second I thought I somehow logged into a stranger's account. I recently had a scare where I thought Dark Souls ate my savegame. Turns out GFWL helpfully moved them to that nickname's folder, even though I never really used it. :M

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
signals renewed interest in PC gaming

Maybe they shouldn't have fucked with PC gaming in the first place. Without gaming, there's not even a point to Windows. Most productivity programs have already been ported to Mac OSX or could easily be ported in the future, and with the Windows 8/Metro fiasco there's even an incentive to do so, unless Apple does something radical with their OS (which i doubt). Games, however, cannot easily thrive on Apple's proprietary or fixed platforms, so it was the one edge Windows always had, and they ruined it with the Xbox. Right now, other than familiarity, is there any real need for Windows anymore as far as the average user is concerned? If you want games, get a console. If you want to work, buy a Mac. If you want to fuck around, get a tablet. Check mate for Microsoft. Its like watching a soccer player score on his team's goalie, over and over.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom