Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Microsoft shutting down GFWL - removed from Batman:AA/AC, Bioshock 2, Dawn of War 2 and Dark Souls

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bioshock 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum, two GFWL games available on Steam, have recently gotten Steam Achievements, and if you right-click and select their "Properties" in Steam, you'll see that they have a new "Betas" tab. Obviously, these two games are in the process of removing GFWL.

Could this mean that Microsoft is going to shut down GFWL with the release of the new XBox? Please, let it be so!

toroid

Arcane
I wonder what this will mean for Dark Souls PTDE multiplayer. Those guys are gonna be pissed. It's been out for less than a year.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Oh god, I had forgotten about GFWL until just now. I remember playing Dawn of War II, having to deal with GFWL's bullshit in addition to Steam's bullshit. It was a fucking nightmare.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
GFWL was never required to run FO3 or any DLC. As far as the Batman games GFWL is nothing compared to the SecuRom it also has.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
GFWL was never required to run FO3 or any DLC. As far as the Batman games GFWL is nothing compared to the SecuRom it also has.
Yeah, except for the fact that Arkham Asylum has recently been unplayable (for just the past few months) because of GFWL bullshit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Required to run? No. Required to buy, download and install if you didn't buy the game on Steam? Welp.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Who wouldn't buy the game on Steam? 'da fuck is wrong with you?

Oh god, I had forgotten about GFWL until just now. I remember playing Dawn of War II, having to deal with GFWL's bullshit in addition to Steam's bullshit. It was a fucking nightmare.

When I aquired it legally some time back, I had to make a GFWL acc to play. At that time they had streamlined the account creation to the point where you didn't even have to make a nickname, it automatically assigned you one :lol: I think mine was AvengingAxe227 or something. That shit is some of the most dysfunctional crap I've ever seen.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've always used offline profiles and never had a problem. Only time I ever signed in to a GFWL acccount was to buy the Fallout DLC.

Most people don't even realize you can use offline profiles with GFWL.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In one half-crazed moment of Steam purchases, I got Bioshock 2 for a buck or two. Turns out it requires a GFWL account just so you can SAVE your progress, and while I played the game for a few hours, I haven't touched the game since I tried it out. I have never played any other game that has required anything to do with GFWL, so it came as a small surprise to me that I was being forced to sign up to something I didn't want.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In one half-crazed moment of Steam purchases, I got Bioshock 2 for a buck or two. Turns out it requires a GFWL account just so you can SAVE your progress, and while I played the game for a few hours, I haven't touched the game since I tried it out. I have never played any other game that has required anything to do with GFWL, so it came as a small surprise to me that I was being forced to sign up to something I didn't want.

You have to make a profile to save, but it can be a random bullshit local offline profile with no information attached to it.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Games for Windows will evolve into Games for Windows 8 and requires all future PC ports of Xbox games to only play on Windows 8. This will happen as a service to customers . Nobody can fully enjoy games without paying M$ for the privilege of having their experiences monitored and regulated.

An advertisement to publishers: "M$, making sure customers are thoroughly raped so you don't have to. "

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619976

Little caveat before I dive into the thread, the removal of GFWL and Securom is speculation on my part. I will get into the evidence surrounding this removal later in the thread.

iB7EQlfctU9OD.png

I have been discussing this in the Steam thread for quite awhile, but figured it was time to bring this to the attention of GAF as a whole. Let people know this is going to happen, and open it up for discussion.

Achievements

Both Arkham Asylum and Bioshock 2 added Steam Achievements to the client a few months ago, but have not activated them as of yet.
Arkham City has had Steam Achievements since release, but was not a Steamworks game. They layered GFWL and Securom on top of that.

Its important to note that the Steam Achievements reference Minerva's Den, so they will either be adding it to the Steam Store or adding it to the base game free of charge.
Right now you can't purchase Minerva's Den through Steam. You have to go to the Xbox store, add in Microsoft points, and purchase from the GFWL store.

Registry Updates

All three games began seeing updates about a month ago. They began very slowly, but the past couple weeks both AC and Bioshock 2 are seeing multiple updates a day.
It is possible they are trying to coincide the rerelease with the Steam Summer Sale.

There are two separate beta builds for the Bioshock 2 entry. One for the singleplayer game, and one for the multiplayer game, labeled Digital Extremes as that studio did the multiplayer for Bioshock 2.
I sent them an email inquiring about the changes and they seemed to have no idea what was going on.

DRM

The removal of GFWL and Securom is pure speculation on my part.
Moving away from GFWL actually has some evidence, though circumstantial. The removal of Securom is just wishful thinking.

GFWL is on its way out. Very few games this year have been published with the DRM, and the major Publishers that have been holding out, WB, Namco, and Capcom, have all dropped the service for their future titles.
Even Microsoft has stopped publishing games with the service. Mark of the Ninja, Dust: An Elysian Tail, AoE II HD, Halo Trilogy, Deadlight, etc.
There has been one exception, but that was because the port was ready for a long time and just waiting to be released.

Halo 2 GFWL multiplayer support will shut down in the near future. Along with Halo 3, there have been Steam rumors floating around for both titles.
GFWL will likely be dropped in favor of dedicated servers and Steamworks. It is cheaper for Microsoft to let the community worry about server upkeep.

Originally Posted by Grief.exe

UPDATE

Minerva's Den DLC has been added to the Registry. Two forms are going to be available for purchase, standalone and in a pack with Bioshock 2.

iKcIApZpThcKY.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom