Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Michael McCarthy's 'Dropship'

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
OccupatedVoid said:
Roqua said:
Its a TBS, not a rpg.
Then why the hell is it on the RPG Codex?
We have an eclectic definition of what constitutes an RPG around here and hey, we covered Silent Storm so there. :P

FrancoTAU

Cipher
A TBS with stats qualifies as an RPG a whole lot more than most of these Action RPGs. Besides, until Mike says it's not an RPG than I guess we're assuming it will be one in some shape or form.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
JA 1 and 2 are squarley in the TBS genre in my book, same with the X-Coms/UFO's. A squad tbs with some rpg elements is still a TBS. And despite what McCarthy says, until I play it and it proves to be an actual rpg, I'll stick with it being a squad TBS. You fucking pussies think any game is an rpg. I piss on all your faces you rpg hippy bitches. An rpg is an rpg, an action game is an action game, and a squad TBS is a squad TBS.

And the very first interview with McCarthy he stated the squad memebers wouldn't have personality, so suck my balls.

sabishii

Arbiter
Roqua said:
JA 1 and 2 are squarley in the TBS genre in my book, same with the X-Coms/UFO's. A squad tbs with some rpg elements is still a TBS. And despite what McCarthy says, until I play it and it proves to be an actual rpg, I'll stick with it being a squad TBS. You fucking pussies think any game is an rpg. I piss on all your faces you rpg hippy bitches. An rpg is an rpg, an action game is an action game, and a squad TBS is a squad TBS.

And the very first interview with McCarthy he stated the squad memebers wouldn't have personality, so suck my balls.
It may be that there's no party member interaction but a lot of interaction with other NPCs.

I don't see much evidence pointing either towards Dropship being a strictly squad based TBS or towards it being an RPG. Having worked on Arcanum lends him some credibility in calling it an RPG, though on the other hand he was more the art guy on the team.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Roqua said:

Yeah, and I've heard other devs say early in development that you can take over a country using necromancy. VD changed his game to 3D and even added fancy lighting a couple months before his release. I'm sure Mike can and will make some deviations from the original plan so I was just throwing it out there. You over-literal ass.

denizsi

Arcane
I just emailed them last week. Here's the reply:

Things are still moving along. I have shifted the design in some really cool ways that I am excited to talk about, but I want to make sure things are functioning as I’ve written before I share it.

There will be some cool stuff to check out in a few months. Sorry to be out of communication with everyone.

mccarthy

Mantiis

Cipher
I was wondering about this game - any news???? Free plug or something dammit!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Mantiis said:
I was wondering about this game - any news???? Free plug or something dammit!

A Codex official should definitely conduct yet another exclusive interview with the devs...

MountainWest

Scholar
I emailed them in november. The answer was pretty much the same as the one Denizsi recieved. "Big things are a'comin" or something to that extent. Well, I guess at least he answered, so the game isn't dead... or wasn't at that time.

denizsi

Arcane
I think (thanks to VD, though not that he knows anything we don't) we should treat the game as vapourware and cut the chase.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom