Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I'm talking about LL, and the fact that surface is flooding with the filters. The way how filters work is the same as in 2033.

Filter scarcity in 2033 limited the explorability of the surface levels. I couldn't stop for 5 sec to admire the destroyed buildings of Moscow without my filter running out.

LL strikes a nice balance. Plus, this makes sense in the game's setting: it's spring time and with all the green plant, probably the air is clearer than it used to be during nuclear winter.

Gerrard

Arcane
30 minutes not enough for you?

Oh and by the way, did they actually implement a proper fucking save function this time, or is it still impossible to replay any level you want without deleting all of your progress from that point?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, it would seem so because I can replay levels without losing progress on others past that point.

Still relies entirely on checkpoints for saving, though.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I loved Metro 2033 so I even went out and bought the sequel. I'm about 2/3 of the way in and so far I'm really liking the game. Obviously there are instances where the game becomes wayy to scripted and filled to the brim with cutscenes, but there are also levels, which give you a decent amount of control and ability to explore. So far, the highlight for me was the Regina level, where you ride through a tunnel on a mechanised car. With all of the frequent side stops and detours you had to make, some of which scared the shit out of me, it really captured the feel of the books as well as a postapocalyptic setting in general. I'd have to say, that the surface levels are not that great this time around. In 2033, they were more about navigating the environment and trying to find enough filters to make it to the end, but here it's just about being gang raped by hordes of mutants NON STOP. Although I guess that does make it true to the book.

One thing that I would strongly advise against is playing Ranger Hardcore mode. I got it for free along with my retail copy, so being the vain fuck that I am I immediately turned it off. At first it seemed pretty nice, no HUD, harder enemies, but after a while it turned out how badly rushed and tacked on this mode is. First of all, I still have yet to figure out which key to press during QTE events, because the pop up is conveniently hidden. You can't access your weapon inventory, so you can forget about all of those cool throwable items. No grenades or claymores for you! Want to throw stuff? Here, use some knives! You also have no way of knowing whether you're using military ammo, which is why I was really surprised where all my cash went when I finished a level. Turns out I had given it all to mutants.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I'd have to say, that the surface levels are not that great this time around.

You're only 2/3 into the game. The last several levels are set in central Moscow and they feature sparse open spaces with minimal combat, fantastic weather effect and breath-taking scenery.

You also have no way of knowing whether you're using military ammo.

Use the bastard gun or Kalashnikov 2012, with which you can see the bullets in the magazine. The military grade bullets have a shinnier look.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Here, use some knives! You also have no way of knowing whether you're using military ammo, which is why I was really surprised where all my cash went when I finished a level.

You actually do. In the bottom right it shows you what ammo you're using. Military ammo has a different icon to normal ammo.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Did they fix the FOV?

It still manages to make me dizzy, so... nope

How can anyone buy a game from a company that didin't even bother to change the fov from 60 to 90 for PC? It's like saying 'Here, violate my ass, I will pay'

I really enjoyed the previous one, although I only bought it for 3 bucks on a Steam sale, so this kind of felt like paying my dues. Besides, I haven't noticed the FOV at all.
Here, use some knives! You also have no way of knowing whether you're using military ammo, which is why I was really surprised where all my cash went when I finished a level.

You actually do. In the bottom right it shows you what ammo you're using. Military ammo has a different icon to normal ammo.

Nope, no HUD on Ranger Hardcore. Really didn't think that through.
I'd have to say, that the surface levels are not that great this time around.

You're only 2/3 into the game. The last several levels are set in central Moscow and they feature sparse open spaces with minimal combat, fantastic weather effect and breath-taking scenery.

You also have no way of knowing whether you're using military ammo.

Use the bastard gun or Kalashnikov 2012, with which you can see the bullets in the magazine. The military grade bullets have a shinnier look.

I'm on the second level with the child guiding me. It does feel a lot less intense than the previous encounters. The graphics in this game are pretty damn spectacular though. It's a shame that the character models don't really seem to match the lighting and weather effects.

MasPingon

Arcane
Did they fix the FOV?

How can anyone buy a game from a company that didin't even bother to change the fov from 60 to 90 for PC? It's like saying 'Here, violate my ass, I will pay'

I really enjoyed the previous one, although I only bought it for 3 bucks on a Steam sale, so this kind of felt like paying my dues. Besides, I haven't noticed the FOV at all.
It's impossible not to get dizzy while playing a game with such FOV with mouse and kayboard. Did you use a gamepad?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did they fix the FOV?

It's impossible not to get dizzy while playing a game with such FOV with mouse and kayboard.
Impossible? People who get dizzy because of low FOVs are just weaklings. Like the ones who get sick during flying or having a headache by watching a 3D movie. Pull yourself together!

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
I use a keyboard. Why would it be different with a gamepad?

Tons of people complained about Stalker's head bobbing making them dizzy, but it never bother me either. It's probably pretty subjective.

MasPingon

Arcane
Did they fix the FOV?

It's impossible not to get dizzy while playing a game with such FOV with mouse and kayboard.
Impossible? People who get dizzy because of low FOVs are just weaklings. Like the ones who get sick during flying or having a headache by watching a 3D movie. Pull yourself together!
Nope, it's exactly the other way around. Educate yourself instead of talking out of your ass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did they fix the FOV?

Nope, it's exactly the other way around. Educate yourself instead talking out of your ass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA
It's late and I'm going to sleep, so I won't watch this, but I doubt that it is saying that a person having no problem phisically with low FOV is a pussy and less healthy than a person who gets dizzy because of it.

MasPingon

Arcane
disgusted-clint-eastwood.gif

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Did they fix the FOV?

Yes, they did, two days after release, you dum. There's a vFOV variable in a configuration file now. It was originally at 50, I think, but I changed it to 62 and it works just fine. The only artifact I've seen appear from heightening the vFOV is at the main menu as that big intro door opens. The rest looks as great as ever.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Did they fix the FOV?

Nope, it's exactly the other way around. Educate yourself instead talking out of your ass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA
It's late and I'm going to sleep, so I won't watch this, but I doubt that it is saying that a person having no problem phisically with low FOV is a pussy and less healthy than a person who gets dizzy because of it.

Weren't you supposed to be gone from the 'dex? Sorry for derailing.

@ Topic, finally made that damn catacombs level. -.-

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Played a bit of the new DLC. I felt a serious STALKER vibe.

The DLC has a level that tasks you to scavenge, survive and return to base to upgrade your arsenal. Very STALKER like. The enemy AI is also randomized a bit so you have quite a bit of variation every time you go out and hunt. The map is quite large, a re-designed and re-skinned version of the Library level from Metro 2033. The layout of the map is not linear as you explore and discover alternative routes etc. Plus you have to manage your gas mask (very limited comparing to the main game), ammo and money.

This whole level feels like the underground labs of STALKER SOC. Due to the randomized placement of the mutant AI, some encounters are quite intense and scary.

I hope this is where the 4A guys are taking the Metro franchise. Hopefully with more memory from the next-gen consoles, those 4A guys can finally make a semi-open-world rogue-like Metro/STALKER hybrid.

DeepOcean

Arcane

The DLC has a level that tasks you to scavenge, survive and return to base to upgrade your arsenal. Very STALKER like. The enemy AI is also randomized a bit so you have quite a bit of variation every time you go out and hunt. The map is quite large, a re-designed and re-skinned version of the Library level from Metro 2033. The layout of the map is not linear as you explore and discover alternative routes etc. Plus you have to manage your gas mask (very limited comparing to the main game), ammo and money.

This whole level feels like the underground labs of STALKER SOC. Due to the randomized placement of the mutant AI, some encounters are quite intense and scary.

I hope this is where the 4A guys are taking the Metro franchise. Hopefully with more memory from the next-gen consoles, those 4A guys can finally make a semi-open-world rogue-like Metro/STALKER hybrid.
So, this is the ranger section. How it is the nazi and red sections?

Behelit

Augur

I have just completed the Sniper mission and it was moderately enjoyable but incredibly short, I was taken aback how fast it ended. The Reich mission is shit, a god damn turret segment, fifteen minutes of life I won't get back. Nobody cares about these missions though, here are my impressions of the meat of the DLC.

To say the map is large and completely non linear is giving it too much credit. You head to area B, scavenge, open shortcut to base, sell junk at base, stroll to B shortcut and make way to area C. Rinse and repeat. You can't use shortcuts that haven't been opened topside first.

I do concur that the first time through is enthralling. Filters are non existent on the surface, what you buy at base is all you have. I was incredibly stressed when my watch signaled the one minute mark for my last filter while I was in a staring contest with a Librarian. Scavenging a clock, tricycle, a map and little odds and ends and returning home with these treasures is pleasurable. However its irritating you can acquire military grade ammo (the currency) from dead muties. An odd mutie that accidentally swallowed a few 7.62 rounds when it was hungrily nuzzling the ropey entrails of a random stalker corpse, a stretch. All of them? It smashes the game balance.

Even with an element of randomization of enemy encounters and no intentions on my behalf to exploit this oversight, I found myself awash with more monies than I knew what to do with. IIRC an incendiary shotgun shell costs 7 rounds and it takes one to put down an average sized mutant. You reap between one and five rounds for each corpse, its even worse with the beagle sized ones that take two or three shots with your Kalashnikov. This asnine idea was probably implemented because of player complaints about the ammo famine in the catacombs level. 4A games once again has swung the pendulum to the other extreme, just as they did with the stealth. Most importantly this part of the DLC is the most buggy. Killing the smaller nosalies doesn't trigger their gratifying rag doll animations, they stay in one spot rocking back and forth, this is common. I experienced a one time instance of a Librarian being perfectly still and a mutant from scripting errors hell appeared ten feet in front of me. Finally in the Reich part, the sandbags are less protective than soiled bed sheets.

:popamole:
4A proved it can fail popamole.

If they scrapped the sniper mission and Reich (even though that took them an hour) and invested more resources into that Stalker mission for a larger map, no monster loot and a less bug free experience, I would easily throw down ten dollars. As it stands, its worth the price of a Subway sammich but it doesn't dissuade my hesitance from upcoming DLC content from 4A.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom