Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
J_C has always been this way.

Mothman

Novice
Metro 2033 was a massive disappointment for me. I loved the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, and I read the novel before playing the game. I played it on a console, but I doubt it meant that I had a different experience than PC users. Controls and the quality of the graphics were never problems for me. The problem lies in content. My expectations were very high, and it had little replay value. No sidequests, no extra activities, or anything. The game itself felt too linear. In some levels/sections, I went in with no ammunition. The atmosphere of the game was less creepy and more drab. I have heard from friends that the sequel is "miles better" than 2033, but if I do decide to try it, I'll probably rent it as opposed to buying it.

Raapys

Arcane
Meh, everything else aside, it's still a better game than 99% of the shit released today. It's just that it could be so much better, in so many ways.

Mothman

Novice
Meh, everything else aside, it's still a better game than 99% of the shit released today. It's just that it could be so much better, in so many ways.
Without a doubt. I liked the first game more than many other FPS games. My expectations were probably too high, that's it.

potatojohn

Arcane
It's pretty much Call of Duty in a young adult post-apo setting. If that's better than 90% of games you play I question your choice games.

Raapys

Arcane
99% of shit released != 99% of shit I play. And lettuce be reality, though it has trended towards an easterneuropean CoD type of game it's still a fair bit off. If only because of no respawning enemies and an attempt at some stealth gameplay. Besides, CoD doesn't have nipples and fondling.

Besides, with that setting and atmosphere the game would have been passably fun just walking through.

Mortmal

Arcane
I've just finished it, played it straight all the afternoon. Its a short , as expected railroaded, modern shooter, nothing else but technically superb, very atmospheric and max settings really using my pc hardware as i noticed it heated my room to 25°c....
I dont understand the uproar about it .If you say its mediocre then bioshock infinite and far cry 3 (latest i played ) are mediocre too as i found metro last light more entertaining than those two.

Its light on the qte and they are far more acceptable than in other modern games, as all i had to do was to tap E briefly 4 or 5 times . Its cutscene heavy ,one at every chapter beggining ,and a lot more in the last part of game yet its not worse than usual, those cutscene are well done and serve the story well so its not that bad.

I think theres a bias here against eastern europe and ex sovietic countries games as frankly its better than the usual modern shooters. I played a lot of that shit, since theres nothing else to play, i can compare.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's pretty much Call of Duty in a young adult post-apo setting. If that's better than 90% of games you play I question your choice games.

CoD acually is another level of popamole

If Metro were more like CoD:
If you are seen in "stealth" level = scripted death
Failure to follow NPC = scripted death
In combat levels, trying to hide = exercise in futility
Trying to explore = you are going to die in 5 seconds, please return to mission area
CoD morality = you are the good guy doesn't matter if you commit more war crimes than Hitler and Stalin if it was to "protect the free world".
Disappearing enemies/respawning enemies = best way to kill enemies is to run past them
Lamps, wood and the scenario is made in reality by a material that is magically immune to bullets
Dynamic light? Who want that?
You are going to fight Nazis for the whole game because it is more AWESOME to kill bad guys than beasts,right?
Beasts that simulate animal behaviour? It is too hard to be scripted.
Scripted scenes (Metro 2033 do this)
Obligatory turret sections/fight hordes of enemies that are easy to kill (Metro do this)
QTEs (Metro do this but it less frequent than CoD)
Linearity(metro levels are linear but they don't come close to CoD levels of Derptude)
Setting where human violence and stupidity are heavily criticized? Who want that? Everybody knows that violence and war are AWESOME.
AWESOME sections where NPCs can do most the work for you and are almost immortal (Metro do this)
Scripted AWESOME chase/run sequences (Metro do this but is way less frequent)
4 hours of duration

It is massive incline from CoD but not enough to be classified non-popamole...

DeepOcean

Arcane

LL did do this in the escape from Nazi prison bit though. If you are spotted they release poison gas into the prison.

I didn't played Last Light yet, not sure if is worth to buy with this ranger mode bullshit and Metro 2033 had alot of popamole elements to buy at full price. I was talking about Metro 2033, this kind of bullshit happens more in LL or that it is the only time?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I got the bad ending even though I fucking spared everyone and went at least 50% knock-outs.
Should have just shot everybody in the face instead.

Sodafish

Arcane

LL did do this in the escape from Nazi prison bit though. If you are spotted they release poison gas into the prison.
this kind of bullshit happens more in LL or that it is the only time?

I didn't finish the whole thing (got bored tbh, although I will probably do it at some point), but from what I've seen/read the rest of your comments are pretty accurate.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The beginning part where you die if you don't use stealth is really short and just there to let you know that there is a stealth element before you go off shooting everybody in the face.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Also, I'm pissed off at the accessibility of the gameplay on the surface. Remember when in Metro 2033 you had to run as fuck and constantly keep the time of your filters, because they were fucking few, just like in the proper apocalypse wasteland? It seems it was to stressful and in LL every few steps you encounter a dead body or a crate with few brand new filters, also the Dark One was turned into a walking supply box later in the game... Not Elizabeth from Infinite level of derp, but still he gives us some filters and ammo, while you're overflowing with both.
In the ghost city I already had ~40 minutes of filters total, the fuck is this? No feel of rush at any point, unlikely to Metro 2033's surface levels.

Also, all surface levels are piss easy besides that filter thing and you won't encounter any serious fight. Just a few wardens (or whatever those fucks are called in the english versions) and some nosalises. You don't have to fight demons at all, and the shrimps are fucking annoying but harmless. Only the Pawel fight was tolerable.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Also, I'm pissed off at the accessibility of the gameplay on the surface. Remember when in Metro 2033 you had to run as fuck and constantly keep the time of your filters, because they were fucking few, just like in the proper apocalypse wasteland? It seems it was to stressful and in LL every few steps you encounter a dead body or a crate with few brand new filters, also the Dark One was turned into a walking supply box later in the game... Not Elizabeth from Infinite level of derp, but still he gives us some filters and ammo, while you're overflowing with both.
In the ghost city I already had ~40 minutes of filters total, the fuck is this? No feel of rush at any point, unlikely to Metro 2033's surface levels.

Also, all surface levels are piss easy besides that filter thing and you won't encounter any serious fight. Just a few wardens (or whatever those fucks are called in the english versions) and some nosalises. You don't have to fight demons at all, and the shrimps are fucking annoying but harmless. Only the Pawel fight was tolerable.
Did you bought the game or it is a full demo? Playing on hard or Ranger Hardcore? I remember that on Metro 2033, on hard, each filter had 5 minutes of air and on Ranger mode it had 1 min, maybe that is why there is so much air left all the time. You can pick filters from the ground with more than 10 min of air?

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
I'm talking about LL, and the fact that surface is flooding with the filters. The way how filters work is the same as in 2033.

Gerrard

Arcane
People seem to have some serious memory problems here. Stop making it look like Metro 2033 was in any way difficult, it fucking wasn't.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So, what do you have to do in order to activate the Ranger mode? Just follow this guide.

“1: open regedit
2: Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve/Steam/Apps/43160
3: Create a new String value called ListOfInstalledDLC with Value data 222801
4: Open game – New game – Select Hard Ranger Mode”
And there you have it everyone. Ranger Mode is fully functional with this tweak. We can confirm that this tweak works as we’ve been able to enable it and test it. In other words yes, this is the real deal. If you cannot find a folder named ’43160′ (as we didn’t have such a folder in our Steam registry), simply browse until you find the folder that contains Metro: Last Light, and do the aforementioned changes.
:salute:for THQ and Deep Silver.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/embar...can-be-easily-activated-via-a-registry-tweak/

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
And what are the chances of having your Steam account disabled for this?

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
I unlocked both pay to play DLCs to Risen 2 via console in-game, got all achievements and nothing else happened. Go ahead.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People seem to have some serious memory problems here. Stop making it look like Metro 2033 was in any way difficult, it fucking wasn't.
Hardcore ranger was easy for the first half of the game and then it became annoying as fuck, fucking energy balls in sewers. It wasn't just difficult, it was fucked up.

Gerrard

Arcane
If it was your first time playing and you didn't know what's ahead, yeah, sure. But it wasn't in the game from the start.
And there's always the matter of the railgun.

Shadenuat

Arcane
For what it is (corridor shooter) it's pretty good and keeps you going till the end. Setting, level design and style are great. Stalker-like experiences, like city of shadows, are just sick. They are simply the best post apocalyptic experiences I had after Glow (first Metro did't have so much outside roaming). The story itself is nothing to write home about, but the plot is paced alright. I never was too tired of shooting, or stealth, or exploration. I stealthed most of the game and was happy about that. Game never goes beyond of it's abilities, and I think it wins more than looses.
The worst offender for me was knocking out about six or eight soldiers in straight gunfight just by running around spamming "E".
If I had to choose between Bioshock or Metro, I'd choose "cinematic Stalker" any day. Because it is actually possible to sneak you way, because there are't any pathetic "roleplaying elements", because world is rough and makes sense, because it is actually dangerous where it has to be dangerous, because weapons feel different and their upgrades matter (night vision scope is godly), because of many reasons.
Note how gaming journalists now praise Metro for the setting and such, but start with criticizing it's gameplay. So, Bioshock's story is enough to forgive atrocious gameplay and setting, but Metro's, with actual stealth, survival, gadgetry (oh, Regina the Delorian!), gunplay and so on is not. Bah.
I'd give it 7/10 because of suspense, Kremlin under black radioactive sky and "good" ending I got (and interactions with mutants and "ghosts" overall). People who hate mashing "E" could skip it, but you are missing some incredible moments when game actually leaves you alone with it's world and you have to carry on all by yourself. There are't many of them, but they are memorable.

However, the real reason I liked this game is not for it's qualities. Walking around ruined metropolis under black sky, radioactive winds blowing and rain falling down into swamps, I felt some strange, eerie feeling, and a good one. I think I liked to see my city finally at rest, freed by silence and loneliness. Mind you I am not Bender and don't want to kill all humans, but it felt good somehow.

xemous

Arcane
U get to control your character 50 percent of the time and the game controls the other half. Sometimes you can still move but at a slower pace. Sometimes it just moves for you. It does this ALL THE FUCKING TIME

there is no difficulty. I tried medium to easy. I tried hard couldn't tell the difference. You are invisible. You're a ghost in this game. The stealth is unbalanced. I have 1000 military grade ammo by the end.

The game was okay I give it a 5 out of 10.

ITS PLAYABLE

I just wish it was extremely challenging and i had full control of my character 100 precent of the time without this cinematic shit. Also is too short.

Sent from my GT-I9505

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom