Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

MasPingon

Arcane
Btw, saying Metro cut scenes are similar to those of Half Life 2 is a big exaggeration. Two examples:

Dog vs Strider

It's an example of what you can call 'typical cut scene'. What makes it so god damn special? Dog being likeable character, great direction of a fight and 'emotional engagement' done right - true. But most important - it was unforseen for a player, the game didn't give you any sight that something important is going to happen(like strange UI glowing or taking PC control from the player)

defending Alyx

This is one of my best gaming experience. I was thrilled by this section. First the game gives you some time for preparation, the feel of a coming threat is starting to grow. Then there is a 'jump scare' when couple of Vortigaunts make their way through the venting passage. And then an alarm starts to get crazy and a badass music jumps on, telling you - stop shaking like a little girl, now you need to be a fucking killing machine. That's a scripted sentence done right. There isn't a second in which you don't have control over your PC.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A cutscene or event scene (sometimes in-game cinematic or in-game movie) is a sequence in a video game over which the player has no or only limited control, breaking up the gameplay and used to advance the plot, strengthen the main character's development, introduce enemy characters, and provide background information, atmosphere, dialogue, and clues.

Stop ignoring the inconvenient parts,
I'm not ignoring. Good, you listed a few instances, where you fully lose control. And they really can be considered cutscenes, I agree. But those parts take up only a few minutes, not an hour like mentioned.

But:
I am begining to think that you did keep you finger on "w" all the time and thus you think you did the moving. But nope. You did nothing.
No. I tried out a "cutscene" just for you. The part when you get a railcar from your friend. And while he goes to the car, talking, you can move and look around in the room. You can't leave him behind and take the car, but that's the limit of you losing control in that place. And there are lots of other parts like these.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A cutscene or event scene (sometimes in-game cinematic or in-game movie) is a sequence in a video game over which the player has no or only limited control, breaking up the gameplay and used to advance the plot, strengthen the main character's development, introduce enemy characters, and provide background information, atmosphere, dialogue, and clues.

Stop ignoring the inconvenient parts,
I'm not ignoring. Good, you listed a few instances, where you fully lose control. And they really can be considered cutscenes, I agree. But those parts take up only a few minutes, not an hour like mentioned.
You told me to name two and now 9 seem like too few?
Also, since when is more than 10% of the game "a few mintues"? It is at least an hour and a half, probably more. Considering that the game is about 8 hours that is not insignificant.
And this is the times your control is extremely limited. The others are just corridor shooting (or if you are a masochist- sneaking by blind/deaf enemies on a narrow level with no alternate routes). You can't compare this game to half-life neither gamepaly nor level-design wise.

But:
I am begining to think that you did keep you finger on "w" all the time and thus you think you did the moving. But nope. You did nothing.
No. I tried out a "cutscene" just for you. The part when you get a railcar from your friend. And while he goes to the car, talking, you can move and look around in the room. You can't leave him behind and take the car, but that's the limit of you losing control in that place. And there are lots of other parts like these.
Where did I mention the railcar?
You should try some of the crawling sequences, though. I remember that quite a few of them didn't require you to press w.

But as I said this game is mediocre at best (in all aspects except for graphics and atmosphere on a few levels). It is nothing special in any way. Even you will probably forget most details in two weeks and the bigger ones in less than two months, since there is nothing memorable in it. Is this mediocre, linear, cinematic, cliched shooter with weak gameplay really worth calling others retards?

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyway, this getting tiering, say what you want. I don't care.
You were the one who called what I said "unfiltered bullshit" and asked me to give him one or two examples where you can't die during a scripted even. I didn't even talk about cutscenes at that time.

I get it, you like a popamole linear heavily-scripted cinematic game. I am not judging you. Just stop being aggressive over it, okay?

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
A cutscene or event scene (sometimes in-game cinematic or in-game movie) is a sequence in a video game over which the player has no or only limited control, breaking up the gameplay and used to advance the plot, strengthen the main character's development, introduce enemy characters, and provide background information, atmosphere, dialogue, and clues. Cutscenes often feature on the fly rendering, using the gameplay graphics to create scripted events. Cutscenes can also be animated, live action, or pre-rendered computer graphics streamed from a video file. Pre-made videos used in video games (either during cutscenes or during the gameplay itself) are referred to as "full motion videos" or "FMVs". Other cutscenes can simply just be text interludes with speech bubbles over the characters' faces.

A most of this game is a not interactive cutscene, and gameplay is abysmal when you encounter one, stop playing dumb, JC.

Stalker difficulty is laughable, any difficulty is laughable, due to one click take downs you can ninja this game out. Metro 2033 didn't have one click takedowns and you had to actually play the God damn game. AI was dumb too, but at least it managed to shoot at you and wasn't blind if it run straight into you in the shadows. Levels weren't made from blocks that aren't actually connected: you can break the hell loose in the one room, blow up the fucking room with granades, kill everyone using a shotgun, but when you open a door to the next section, you're reset and full stealth and enemies are sitting by the fire talking some lore related bullshit. Until you fire out loud, then they all will hide behind the boxes and stick their heads out with flashlights turned on, just so you could head them all out if you like.

Breaking news
So I encounter that faggot who kidnapped our bitch. He says to me to take of my mask and he will give her to me. I think "fuck you bro" and shoot him in the eye. Bam, a cutscene when he throws the bitch at me and I'm without a fucking mask. Fucking thank you for ignoring the bullet in his fucking eye.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Why are you dumb shits so concerned about 10-20% of the game and acting like it reflects on all of the game?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jesus that's still going on?

J_C, mate, y u no let go, hater's gonna hate we all know that?

Besides, it's Wizardry time bitches!!!! :)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No, what they describe in the link is a new, smaller campaign or set of campaigns, not just some little farts of unrelated content--though there is a pack of those in there too, admittedly. It's just that the term "expansion pack" has fallen out of favor for whatever reason.

I'm not holding out much hope from a developer/publisher combo that wants $5 for another difficulty level.
I am, because they managed to make a good game, and what they claim to have in the upcoming DLC is much more content than what THQ probably shoehorned into their market practice.

It's a possibility but it's not as if Derp Silver/Koch Media is any less shady than THQ.

Metro manages to be even more butthurt and edgy about a game than usual in this thread, congrats I guess?

You calling anyone butthurt or edgy is the height of irony considering your GD antics. Anyway, you think it's excessive to complain when a game charges money for another difficulty level? Okay.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why are you dumb shits so concerned about 10-20% of the game and acting like it reflects on all of the game?
If someone got to you with the following proposition: Pal, 1/3 of my game is really popamole shit cutscenes/ fight hordes of easily killable mutants while waiting for door to open/ watch scripted sequences where the only thing you can do is run foward/turret sections/ and the other 2/3 while being much better suffer from broken stealth system, now give me full price and pay me extra $5,00 for the only mode where you have some decent challenge? Would you agree?

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
We're concerned about you shit loving imbeciles defending undefendable, deluding yourselves that something is good, when it clearly is not. Last Light is clearly a flawed popamole game, with broken narrative, broken AI, abysmal gameplay, few levels are huge cut-scenes, the gameplay is non-stop disrupted by irrelevant cut-scenes and one, huge, tasty, fucking awesome, FUCK MAN I'M GONNA CUM, setting.But it's only the setting, the gameplay lies there somewhere. Dead. Very dead.

Not so many almost pure gameplay levels are diarrhea shit levels, vide catacombs. What a fucking piece of garbage, with also classical "USE environment to kill it! BE SMART!" boss, that we killed thousands times already.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
As much as I like the game, claiming the frequent taking away of the control to the player is ok, I don't know, you are not annoyed by that shit, J_C ? It happens all the fucking time and is distracting

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
We're concerned about you shit loving imbeciles defending undefendable, deluding yourselves that something is good, when it clearly is not. Last Light is clearly a flawed popamole game, with broken narrative, broken AI, abysmal gameplay, few levels are huge cut-scenes, the gameplay is non-stop disrupted by irrelevant cut-scenes and one, huge, tasty, fucking awesome, FUCK MAN I'M GONNA CUM, setting.But it's only the setting, the gameplay lies there somewhere. Dead. Very dead.

Not so many almost pure gameplay levels are diarrhea shit levels, vide catacombs. What a fucking piece of garbage, with also classical "USE environment to kill it! BE SMART!" boss, that we killed thousands times already.

te;dr

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
No, what they describe in the link is a new, smaller campaign or set of campaigns, not just some little farts of unrelated content--though there is a pack of those in there too, admittedly. It's just that the term "expansion pack" has fallen out of favor for whatever reason.

I'm not holding out much hope from a developer/publisher combo that wants $5 for another difficulty level.
I am, because they managed to make a good game, and what they claim to have in the upcoming DLC is much more content than what THQ probably shoehorned into their market practice.

It's a possibility but it's not as if Derp Silver/Koch Media is any less shady than THQ.
I'm not attempting to imply that at all; I'm just being realistic. The pre-order and DLC stuff was settled way before Deep Silver even came into the picture, and since people had already begun to buy the game before they became the publisher, they probably wouldn't have been able to retroactively change the deals that people had already agreed to even if they so so so wanted to.

That is speculation, of course, and I do recall Deep Silver doing some shitty business practice with Risen 2's release day DLC--which was supposedly able to be unlocked just by modifying some cfg files somewhere--but the Last Light Ranger Mode DLC situation doesn't reflect any of their plans. It was something put in place by THQ and, in all likelihood, something that Deep Silver was legally obligated to agree with once they purchased the Metro IP.

Regardless, I do buy some games for a different reason than most people because I'm a reviewer, and I'm interested as hell in the Metro franchise, so I will do a review or some reviews of the DLC if it's enough to be considered something like an expansion pack. This is regardless of its merit, since I'm not a fanboy or anything--I'm willing to describe in detail how the story execution and stealth mechanics in the base game are asinine. Maybe the DLC will not be good or substantial in any way? If that's the case, I'll find out.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
If someone got to you with the following proposition: Pal, 1/3 of my game is really popamole shit cutscenes/ fight hordes of easily killable mutants while waiting for door to open/ watch scripted sequences where the only thing you can do is run foward/turret sections/ and the other 2/3 while being much better suffer from broken stealth system, now give me full price and pay me extra $5,00 for the only mode where you have some decent challenge? Would you agree?
In the other 2/3 you mention anybody with a modicum of self respect will give up on the stealth and play it as a shooter, because the shooting vastly outweighs the fact that the game features a PLAY-IT-ANY-WAY-U-WAN-2 gimmick on the side. The stealth is a detractor, but the game is still a great shooter.

Well, that's essentially a cutscene. The fact you can hop around the room while he talks doesn't change the fact you have to wait until the scene is done to progress.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As much as I like the game, claiming the frequent taking away of the control to the player is ok, I don't know, you are not annoyed by that shit, J_C ? It happens all the fucking time and is distracting
No man. I'm so immersed, I don't even notice it. That's how I roll man. :D

Seriously. No, I don't get upset about losing control for a few seconds every now and then in a game like this. Cinematic linear games are like this. End of story for me. If it would happen in Thief for example, it would be more annoying.

MasPingon

Arcane

Seriously. No, I don't get upset about losing control for a few seconds every now and then in a game like this. Cinematic linear games are like this. End of story for me. If it would happen in Thief for example, it would be more annoying.

Yes, bad linear games are like this

Sul

Savant
I really liked the game. Superb atmosphere and graphics. Gunplay was also fun, even with the retarded AI.

Nael

Arcane
Just finished Metro 2033 in preparation for my free copy of Metro LL arriving with my new video card. Something about the game reminded me of a Russian post-apocalyptic version of the NES classic Faxandu. Young mute person going off to save his hometown from monsters and ends up becoming a superhero. Also railroad.

DeepOcean

Arcane

:decline: of J_C. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom