Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

DeepOcean

Arcane

I won't blame you -- you grew up in this era of shitty DLC milking. Society has warped your mind.
No, what they describe in the link is a new, smaller campaign or set of campaigns, not just some little farts of unrelated content--though there is a pack of those in there too, admittedly. It's just that the term "expansion pack" has fallen out of favor for whatever reason.
Developers spend less time on each DLC than on an expansion. Do you really believe that something like MotB can easily be chopped up in smaller pieces and that don't affect the game at all? DLCs most of time are rerashed versions of old levels with absolutely the same gameplay, reskined weapons and with worse and short storylines. The only thing that remotely interested me in their announcement was the challenge DLC that reminds me of Dunwal City trials, instead of same old levels and gameplay.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No, what they describe in the link is a new, smaller campaign or set of campaigns, not just some little farts of unrelated content--though there is a pack of those in there too, admittedly. It's just that the term "expansion pack" has fallen out of favor for whatever reason.

I'm not holding out much hope from a developer/publisher combo that wants $5 for another difficulty level.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

I'm not holding out much hope from a developer/publisher combo that wants $5 for another difficulty level.
I am, because they managed to make a good game, and what they claim to have in the upcoming DLC is much more content than what THQ probably shoehorned into their market practice.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Metro manages to be even more butthurt and edgy about a game than usual in this thread, congrats I guess?

Overboard

Arcane
Yeah he should gush like a 13 year old girl about how wonderful bullshit DLC schemes are, especially when they're for what is by all accounts a game of great mediocrity.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is true that there is no pressure while playing due to the amount of scripts-no matter what happens you know that it is scripted and can't kill you.
That is pure unfiltered bullshit. Please mention one or two from these, so I can replay it and die in the game, just to prove your BS.
PRESS E PRESS E FAST, you're so full of bullshit that even PRESS E won't help much

stop embarassing yourself
Yeah, that QTE is not a good exmple for the "it is scripted, you don't die even if you don't anything" theory. In fact, you die if you don't press E.

Stop being a dumbfuck.

Xeon

Augur

Fire doesn't emit light or something (03:20)? The watch only lit when the guy crossed the fire.

hiver

Not really. He just makes sure that he really deserved the dumbfuck tag.
And thats because i dont like shit that you think is super great and fine?
Well... good of you to let me know how much of an actual dumbfuck you are. Ill be sure to remember that in the future.
You stupid shit.

A few, but fouled and warped by an inchoate rage.

Mostly his writeup boils down to: "It's a good game but I wanted something else, therefore it's shit."
It's like saying that Half-Life is a good shooter but in fact it's shit because it's not Stalker-like sandbox.
Eh, why bother...
look, you imbecile... i dont fucking need your translation of what i said in a desperate attempt to deny inadequacies and stupid shit of this product for mass market morons like yourself.

I was pretty clear about what is bad in this shit copy of the first game, from the mechanics to its idiotic cheap narrative.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I am, because they managed to make a good game, and what they claim to have in the upcoming DLC is much more content than what THQ probably shoehorned into their market practice.
Are you aware this "much more content" of yours is basically stuff they cut from the game for later piecemeal sale?
You don't find it disgusting?

potatojohn

Arcane
This game is retarded. Enemy AI is deaf and blind. Here's some guy sneaking through on ranger hardcore, and by sneaking I mean walking right throught them.

hiver

Also, one thing i forgot to mention is that deal with that sniper "chick".

First she is all business and demeaning to the protagonist.
Tough bird and all that shit.

And then after, she suddenly gets kidnapped and smacked around and is just helpless little woman waiting for TEH CHOSEN ONE to save her.
You do, because the game wont let you do anything else - and then she is wet and willing and promptly becomes your fuck doll. Literally.

The bonus thing is that previously, as the "story" goes TEH CHOSEN ONE had a blurry memory of his dear mother... - sob- and he coudnt remember her face... aghh! -sob-
And after all the stupid events it is revealed that his mother face is almost the same as the face of that incompetent stupid cunt.

SO!

You get to fuck your own mother!
Or well, you get a hard on for and then fuck some woman looking almost exactly like your dear old mother did.

I guess thats the real reason why JC likes the game so much. EH?

hiver said:
And youre now even more of a fuckin "chosen one" and the game keeps screaming "Artyom, Artyom, Artyom, ARTYOM; ARTYOM;" and NPCs keep talking to you and about you as A SPECIAL ONE, ONE AND ONLY "Artyom, Artyom, Artyom, ARTYOM; ARTYOM;!"

But Artyom was "The Chosen One" in the book, since he was the only one in the whole metro who didn't get batshit insane under the influence of the Dark Ones. Additionally he pretty much wiped out the Dark Ones (thanks to his special abilities, at least partially) who were considered the greatest threat the humanity has ever faced. So yeah, like it or not, he is the chosen one.
I really dont give a godamn fuck. The way it is presented throughout the game is more than obnoxious, cheap, stupid, shallow, overplayed and overblown so much its disgusting.
Especially since its later explained why he actually can resist teh influence of teh dark ones, in a much less divine manner.

What the dark ones were considered is idiotic and infact a product of stupidity of humans. Since it is clear the Dark ones were not teh greatest threat humanity ever faced - at all.

in fact, humanity is the greatest threat all other living beings and the world have ever faced - and the ones who actually destroyed the world.
The actual monsters.

The narrative of the game merely touches upon that in both games, does nothing with it, perpetuates idiotic cheap Commie - Nazi - bad Dark ones issues for two fucking games already as the main plot and builds itself and its main quest - story around that.
Which is fucking boring, uninspired and - stupid.

Because they coudnt do anything else while they were coming up with ways to waste time and money on multiplayer and future "DLC" which includes higher difficulty for extra lulz.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Is it me or did the new patch make everything darker? I actually have to use my flashlight to see anything now. On the first patch I could see pretty well without it.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, that QTE is not a good exmple for the "it is scripted, you don't die even if you don't anything" theory. In fact, you die if you don't press E.

Stop being a dumbfuck.
No, you stop being a dumbfuck. More than 10% of your in-game time is cut-scenes, ffs. Did you check the video from the last page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixH3BMtpFV8
IF you count all the qtes it is more than 20% of the game that you spend into something completely scripted and in which you don't feel any pressure at all. Which you called " pure unfiltered bullshit". Tell me about the pressure you feel when you might not press "e" for ten seconds and you die. That's gameplay, right? Or when you fail tapping "e" quickly"! Teh horror!

All the action segments that are in it are absolutely scripted and you don't do anything in them.
I call bullshit. Where is the pressure while watching a cutscene or doing a qte, J_C? Why are you so aggressive about liking a popamole game?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I agree, there are way too many scripted action cutscenes. I'm playing through it on Ranger difficulty now and the first time me and Pavel get on the surface, there's a section where you can go into a service room and switch on a lantern, except the moment you press e to to switch the lantern on the game takes control away from you. Then you get to watch as you are attacked by a watchmen who you then proceed to shoot in the head. Except you don't shoot him, Artyom does it automatically and you only regain control of your character afterwards. So for that section you essentially get to watch the game play itself.

Sections like that absolutely fucking suck and there are way too many of them. However, as much as they detract from the game, I still enjoyed the game. It has a lot of flaws I'd like to see addressed in a sequel, but it's not so bad that I'd never play it again. It's one of the more enjoyable FPS games I've played in a while, but it's hampered by a lot of unnecessary, shit things. Like the weak stealth sections and scripted cutscenes.

In my opinion, aside from maybe in an intro cutscene, a game should NEVER wrestle away control from the player. Way too many games are guilty of this, and this is something they're especially fond of doing in tutorials.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Stop being a dumbfuck.
No, you stop being a dumbfuck. More than 10% of your in-game time is cut-scenes, ffs.
Lie.

IF you count all the qtes it is more than 20% of the game that you spend into something
Yes, it has 3 -4 QTEs at max. Oh the horror.
Where is the pressure while ...doing a qte, J_C?
Who talked about pressure? You just said that you cannot die, which is..again..a lie.

Why are you so aggressive about liking a popamole game?
Because retards like you take one or two of the games faults, faults which happen rarely, and say that the whole game is like that.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No, you stop being a dumbfuck. More than 10% of your in-game time is cut-scenes, ffs.
Lie.
Can you read? Did you check the 1 hour 14 minutes video of cutscenes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixH3BMtpFV8
The game is hardly 8 hours long.

3-4 a level, you mean? Did you even play the game? I finished it yeasterday and it is still fresh in my mind. There are 3-4 qtes in The Witcher 2. Are you saying that this game has as much or less qtes than TW2?

Who talked about pressure? You just said that you cannot die, which is..again..a lie.

Do you even know what a lie is?
Also, I talked about pressure, did you read my whole post?
It is true that there is no pressure while playing due to the amount of scripts-no matter what happens you know that it is scripted and can't kill you.

Or are you one of those who feel pressure when they watch someone throwing an entire box of dynamite etc while you are just watching?

Why are you so aggressive about liking a popamole game?

Because retards like you take one or two of the games faults, faults which happen rarely, and say that the whole game is like that.
So, you think QTEs happen rarely? You said the game had 3-4 qtes. Who is retarded again?[/QUOTE]

EDIT: fixing the quotes.

EDIT2: just noticed another "jem"

Please mention one or two from these, so I can replay it and die in the game, just to prove your BS.
Alright!
Try to die when they toss Anna at you/shoot you and you make your way to the station (completely scripted). Here is one.
Try to die when you watch how you stab shrimps on the boat.
Try to die when the guy tosses all the dynamite.
Try to die/fail anything when your put a knife on the throat of that red guy who betrayed you (and when he is pointing a gun at you).
Try to die when that mutant that collapses the wooden bridge appears.
Try to die when that scripted demon at the bridge knocks you down.
Etc, etc.
Just try it! It is all unfiltered bullshit, right?

MasPingon

Arcane
J.C you got fucking heavy problems with reading

Where is the pressure while ...doing a qte, J_C?

Here, let me show you

MasPingon said:
There is nothing worse in today's gaming then this limitation of PC control, so the game can tell you what the fuck is going on. Because player attention is interrupted if there are more then one stimulus at a time. Bioshiock Infinite have the same problem, instead of doing it Half Life way, the game force you to listen and watch every god damn important POV cut scene. Sometimes those cut scenes were meant to make you feel threatened. The thing is - how can you fear of anything if you know you can't do shit about what's happening on the screen besides moving your PC head and it's already decided what will happen to your PC in about 15 seconds. It makes absolutely no sense.

DeepOcean said:
Having to endure a turret section/wait until time passes and fight hordes of monsters or heavy scripted sequences at the beginning of each chapter can be annoying, you have a good time then suddenly a cold bath of popamole to kill your boner,

RRRrrr said:
The game is so mediocre that I don't understand what the argument in this thread is for. It is true that there is no pressure while playing due to the amount of scripts-no matter what happens you know that it is scripted and can't kill you. The "awesome" moments quickly become tedious because of this, they really shouldn't have put so much resources into scripting. The setting just cries for an open-world stalker-like game

J.C said:
RRRrrr said:
J_C said:
Yeah, that QTE is not a good exmple for the "it is scripted, you don't die even if you don't anything" theory. In fact, you die if you don't press E.​

Stop being a dumbfuck.​
Lie.

You are right. For a 8 hours long game over one hour of cut scenes is more then 10%

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Lie.
Now here lies the problem. Cutscenes are prerecorded videos, which disrupt the gameplay. When you don't lose control (ala Half Life 2) just characters talking next to you, those are not cutscenes.

3-4 a level, you mean? Did you even play the game? I finished it yeasterday and it is still fresh in my mind. There are 3-4 qtes in The Witcher 2. Are you saying that this game has as much or less qtes than TW2?
Did YOU play the game? There are no 3-4 QTEs per level. Period.

Do you even know what a lie is?
Also, I talked about pressure, did you read my whole post?
Too bad I didn't reply to the part you balded out. Let me fix it for you, that is the part I replied to.

MasPingon

Arcane
Lie.
Now here lies the problem. Cutscenes are prerecorded videos, which disrupt the gameplay.

That's exactly what you can see in this video. Or is it a lie?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
J_C, to be fair, the game wrestles control away from you very frequently. Your gameplay is constantly interrupted by it, whether it's you climbing into a vent, or opening a sewer grate, or being knocked over or any number of other things the game does. These things might not be cutscenes in the literal sense of the word, but their effect is more or less the same. Control is taken away from the player and he then has to watch a scene in which he has no control over his own character.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Too bad I didn't reply to the part you balded out. Let me fix it for you, that is the part I replied to.

No, you asked who talked about pressure. There you go!

Now, I am waiting for you to prove me wrong. So:
Try to die when they toss Anna at you/shoot you and you make your way to the station (completely scripted). Here is one.
Try to die when you watch how you stab shrimps on the boat.
Try to die when the guy tosses all the dynamite.
Try to die/fail anything when your put a knife on the throat of that red guy who betrayed you (and when he is pointing a gun at you).
Try to die when that mutant that collapses the wooden bridge appears.
Try to die when that scripted demon at the bridge knocks you down.
And also: try to avoid getting wounded in the end. Try to die when the trains hit in final battle.
I can probably dig more, but you said one or two.

Cutscenes are prerecorded videos, which disrupt the gameplay. When you don't lose control (ala Half Life 2) just characters talking next to you, those are not cutscenes.

But you did lose control. Did you do anything when you gave the dynamite to that guy? Did you do anything when you were suffocating on the way with Anna? Did you do anything when that red guy was pointing a gun at you? Did you do anything at the plane when it was crashing (half of the time you couldn't even move the camera). Did you do anything when the mutant at the bridge knocked you down? Did you have any control at the wooded bridge before the bossfight at Undercity? Or being able to move the camera in some of them (but not you character) was enough for you.
What's next, saying that the game is open-world because you can go forward AND backwards?

What about the times when you were crawling and didn't even have to press w to move forward? Did you keep pressing "w" all the time in order to feel immersed even when you didn't need to? Because that would explain much.
What problem with the game was that you did lose control over you character, and more than half of the time it was nothing like Half-life 1 and 2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Lie.
Now here lies the problem. Cutscenes are prerecorded videos, which disrupt the gameplay.

That's exactly what you can see in this video. Or is it a lie?
It is so convinient to cut out some parts of my comments when you reply, isn't it.

I wrote: Cutscenes are prerecorded videos, which disrupt the gameplay. When you don't lose control (ala Half Life 2) just characters talking next to you, those are not cutscenes.

See the important part? And there is a lot of these scenes in the youtube video above which fall into this category. I'm not saying that every one of them is like this, there are some, which are like you discribed. But saying that they take 1:14 hours is not true. Anyway, this getting tiering, say what you want. I don't care.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A cutscene or event scene (sometimes in-game cinematic or in-game movie) is a sequence in a video game over which the player has no or only limited control, breaking up the gameplay and used to advance the plot, strengthen the main character's development, introduce enemy characters, and provide background information, atmosphere, dialogue, and clues.

Stop ignoring the inconvenient parts, J_C. I said that there are a lot of scripted parts and you said there weren't. Which is completely ridiculous. Also, even the parts where you have what is according to you "control" limit your control to the camera (and often not even that!!) and are nothing like half-life 1 and 2. So, go play the game and try not to press any keys when something scripted is happening to see that even your movement is often scripted.
I am begining to think that you did keep you finger on "w" all the time and thus you think you did the moving. But nope. You did nothing. The game didn't even count on you to press "w". Also, when crawling through a shaft, you could only move forward and not backwards! FFS!!!

You remind me of a friend of mine when I was in second grade who played FIFA and let the AI play both teams while pressing keys and thought that it was him playing the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom