Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

MCA
Last thread about anything Metro (first game, upcoming sequel or the book) was in 2011 so, new thread.

Latest RPS interview:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/15/4a-on-why-metros-getting-smarter-not-dumbed-down

(margin to avoid the ads fucking with readability)

Recently saw the mention of bullet economy being removed in some thread here, so, addressing that:

RPS: So you’re making things a lot more apparent and you’re definitely trying to avoid dumbing it down. Where’s the line between ease-of-use and “dumbed down,” though? Because that’s something that a billion different developers have said, and their games come out and people are like “No, I’m pretty sure this is actually dumbed down.”

Beynon: Yes, and dumbed down is when you say, “This mechanic or this feature is too hard for a player to figure out, so we’re going to simplify it, simplify the button press or simplify the mechanic or take it out of the player’s hands and do it for them.” We’re not doing that with any of our mechanics. There’s so much more stuff going in. So much more depth in pretty much every direction.

So when I say making something accessible, it’s introducing our complex mechanics in a narrative fashion rather than what we did with the first game, where you’d have a tooltip come up the first time you did something. Like “press X to put the mask on.” If we can blend an explanation of how these mechanics work into the storytelling a little better, then we’ll introduce them in a more elegant way to the player while keeping them intact within the game.

They are not "westernising or dumbing down" the game :smug:

RPS: So, first off, what’s the deal with the bullet economy this time around? Is it in or out? I’ve heard mixed things.

Beynon: It’s in. I think we were still discussing exactly how we were going implement that last time and, you know, all options are still on the table. But there’s quite a vocal fan response, which may be guiding part of our thinking. It’s staying in, though.

The thing we’re already working on is how we communicate that system better to the player. Metro’s full of a lot of quite complex game mechanics, and I think if there’s one thing we didn’t do very well in the first game, it’s we didn’t actually introduce those mechanics or explain them particularly. It was kind of, concept, wall of text on the screen, this is how this works. Have you read it? Press H, continue. If you missed it, it could really color your impression of the whole game. We think we can introduce those mechanics, including the trading system, a little bit smarter this time.

But no, it’s really important, we can’t lose any of those mechanics. That’s kind of a philosophy that runs through the game. We have absolutely no intention of westernizing or dumbing down Metro whatsoever. As you saw from the demo, if anything we’re adding more stuff in there, whether it’s the mask wipe mechanic, which is a whole additional thing that the player has to be mindful of and consider when they’re playing. Or an expanded weapon set, secondary fire modes, or attachments you can put on your weapon, secondary weapons… We now have a new stealth melee from behind. We’re also experimenting with putting in the option to knock out rather than kill if you approach people from behind. Loads of extra stuff is going in there.

So yeah. A very long-winded way of saying that we’re keeping the bullet-trading in and it’s going to be much, much better this time around. We’re not cutting anything.

They are saying pretty things. First game had many issues but I truly enjoy how a RUSSKIE FPS has finally caught up with and is gradually leaving behind western AAA shit. And I also love the fact that the game is actually markedly Russian, from environment to the characters and certain social depictions (in the first game) ie. not catering to the white Americunts despite being made by a team of non-Americunts *cough*CryShit*cough*.

Now go ahead and make a truly sandbox STALKER, people!

MetalCraze

Arcane
First game had many issues but I truly enjoy how a RUSSKIE FPS has finally caught up with and is gradually leaving behind western AAA shit.

Catching up to the worst games of the west? Oh what a fucking achievement.

Now go ahead and make a truly sandbox STALKER, people!

They left GSC so they wouldn't have to make STALKER in the first place.

Metro’s full of a lot of quite complex game mechanics

:lol: Call of Duty clone is full of a lot of quite complex game mechanics, you heard it here folks.

Although they are right, you didn't have to press X to wipe your mask every 5 seconds in CoD, this adds a new level of complexity to an already complex "just aim and press fire" game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Considering the first Metro was just a tepid (and short) rail shooter with pretty graphics I'm not sure what people are expecting from the sequel. It's basically Dear Esther with guns!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Metro was a good game for a 2.50€ Steam sale. I guess I might play the sequel when it's less than 5€. Railroaded short shooters with so many cutscenes aren't worth much more due to total lack of any replayability.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It's not just being railroaded... Half-Life was railroaded... but Metro was a buggy piece of shit where AI would notice you in complete darkness, strange weapon damage fall-offs, just unpolished all-around.

And, of course, completely uninspired.

potatojohn

Arcane
Well instead of having to press a QTE to win, they could make you win by default and have a QTE to lose instead.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I meant in terms of production values.

I thought production values for games is the quality of game design? Or is it something else?
Although maybe in case of AAAs it's about how many times Captain Price shouted "Soap stop trying to interact with the game world moron come here shoot another bunch of braindead bots" which in case of Metro 2033 is true.

How is it even possible to dumb down something like Metro?

It isn't. That's why they aren't dumbing anything down.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Metro is definitely not what we expect from a shooter. But most shooter are like this, abomination after abomination piling in a big stack of shit.

But what differentiate Metro from the rest, is the fact that this little puppy has soul. I can accept lousy combat and boring corridors, if the game manages to tell me a compelling story.
And Metro manages to deliver at least partially on this front. I would say that I had more fun with the Metro's bleak world than with the one from Stalker.
Cause except the underground research lab, the Stalker atmosphere was weak as shit (no to mention the last 1/3 of the game), where Metro manages to keep you in that world for the entire game.
This game is all about the atmosphere. And I dig that.

Also, there are a few other parts which differentiate Metro from a standard CoD clone:
1) It's a fucking corridor. But at least each part of the corridor is different. They feel like actual locations.
2) There are genuinely good monsters like the Librarian.
3) The game is not easy as fuck.
4) Stealth is allowed and quite competent.

So, stop bashing this game for the wrong reasons. Yes, is not Arma 2/Stalker. It's not even a competent shooter. But it was never intended to be such a game. It was designed as an atmospheric shooter and it delivers (partially).

Although they are right, you didn't have to press X to wipe your mask every 5 seconds in CoD, this adds a new level of complexity to an already complex "just aim and press fire" game.

You play Arma 2. Please shut the fuck up about tedious shit.

PS. The game is far from perfect, but I will not discuss the flaws with persons more interested to spew generic shit, instead of adding something worthwhile to the subject.

hiver

First one was p.good game with all minimal shortcomings it had.
It just begged to be improved and expanded a bit more.
Also one of the rare games i played to the end in last several years... although for the life of me i couldnt figure out how to get to "peaceful" or non violent solution even though i tried hard.
I guess just one slip is enough to bork that completely and you really had to read a walk-through to understand there is that option at all.

I also wished Burbon was kept alive and not killed so falsely then replaced by retarded Khan or whatever and his bullshit gay shit and goatee.
Burbon was a bro.

Librarians and that whole part of the game was one of the best areas i went through in all of my gaming.
Outside world, mutants, atmosphere... pretty, pretty good stuff.

MetalCraze

Arcane

In ArmA2 you don't have to press X every 5 seconds to wipe your ass. Not mentioning other tedious shit like watching unskipable cutscenes all the time or repeatedly twitching X to open a mere door which in your consoletard mind is the good shooter gameplay.

So I should shut up about tedious shit because I play a game that has none?

PS. The game is far from perfect, but I will not discuss the flaws with persons more interested to spew generic shit, instead of adding something worthwhile to the subject.

So what worthwhile is there to say about a primitive CoD clone like Metro 2033?
It copies CoD. It has not a single unique or creative idea going for it. It has extremely small levels that put DXIW to shame. It has very bad shooting mechanics. It has QTE. It has unskipable cutscenes where other characters tell you what to do and die only when script tells them to - instead of you controlling them or at least not being hand held. It even has shitty generic good humans vs. evil monsters backdrop.

It's just shit. In fact CoDMW is a much better game because at least levels change there, it's not the same 100m long tunnel in between loading screens.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

In ArmA2 you don't have to press X every 5 seconds to wipe your ass. Not mentioning other tedious shit like watching unskipable cutscenes all the time or repeatedly twitching X to open a mere door which in your consoletard mind is the good shooter gameplay.

So I should shut up about tedious shit because I play a game that has none?

So what worthwhile is there to say about a primitive CoD clone like Metro 2033?
". It has not a single unique or creative idea going for it. It has extremely small levels that put DXIW to shame. It has very bad shooting mechanics. It has QTE. It even has shitty generic good humans vs. evil monsters backdrop.

It's just shit. In fact CoDMW is a much better game because at least levels change there, it's not the same 100m long tunnel in between loading screens.

1) You simply just don't get it. Technically is shit, but as entertainment is a semi success/failure.

Call it a guilty pleasure. From wiki: "A guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilty for enjoying it. The "guilt" involved is sometimes simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes. Fashion, video games, music, movies, and junk food can be examples of guilty pleasures."

Don't tell me you don't have such pleasures? Or you are just a stuck up asshole that cannot enjoy anything because is NOT FUCKING PERFECT? Come on. Arma 2 + DayZ is far from perfect, technically or otherwise.

2) You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

"...Not mentioning other tedious shit like watching cutscenes all the time which in your consoletard mind is the good shooter gameplay." - I don't like gameplay cutscenes. Period.

"It even has shitty generic good humans vs. evil monsters backdrop." - Red Line and Fourth Reich are really generic good humans.

"It copies CoD" - Thank you for enlightenment. Now fuck off with your own primitive arguments.

Gerrard

Arcane
I would say that I had more fun with the Metro's bleak world than with the one from Stalker.
Cause except the underground research lab, the Stalker atmosphere was weak as shit
Nope, fuck you. But it's no wonder you liked it seeing how Metro was made by the people who wanted to make whole Stalker about tunnels like the lab.

I would say that I had more fun with the Metro's bleak world than with the one from Stalker.
Cause except the underground research lab, the Stalker atmosphere was weak as shit
Nope, fuck you. But it's no wonder you liked it seeing how Metro was made by the people who wanted to make whole Stalker about tunnels like the lab.

Indeed, STALKER had great open areas, if all the game consisted of tunnels and the like it would turn boring. And I like Metro, but the game is too fucking linear. And it had too much scripted bullshit.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Metro was a good game for a 2.50€ Steam sale. I guess I might play the sequel when it's less than 5€. Railroaded short shooters with so many cutscenes aren't worth much more due to total lack of any replayability.

Agreed. Though I quite enjoyed Metro 2033 as it's plot was far better than most CoD clones (Terrrorists attack! Time for an orbital drop and set the nukes! etc.)

Peter

Arcane
I LOVED METRO 2033 THIS MUCH

They are indeed saying all of the right things. Optimistic about the sequel, though I don't know if it'll be as good as the first one.

Secretninja

Cipher
ITT jaded faggots bitch about a game set in fucking metro tunnels being a corridor shooter.

Metro was great fun for the 10 or so hours it lasted, don't be bitter that you think it is buggy because your computer ran it like shit and you sucked at sneaking around.

Gord

Arcane
Yeah, Metro was a nice game if you got it in a Steam sale.
They did a great job with the atmosphere, which is, imho, its main selling point.

What I think they could have improved were certain mechanics, like the military-grade bullet economy (e.g. by giving more incentives to actually use them in combat) or the gas-mask idea.
To be able to go back to some of the metro-stations you visited earlier, maybe pick up a few side quests along the way would have been nice, too.
Theoretically the setting could be used for a almost-sandbox game quite easily, but that obviously wasn't their intention.

Anyway it presented a ok-ish story with good-looking graphics and succeeded in creating a pretty oppressive atmosphere, so I guess I might get the 2nd part as well (but I might again wait for a sale).

In ArmA2 you don't have to press X every 5 seconds to wipe your ass.

Unlike in that other game you got made up inside your fucking head?
And I know you think running/driving through empty fields for 20 minutes to get to the action is way better than watching couple of minutes long cutscene, but to some of us it isn't. At least I can enjoy me some tea/ice-cream/whatever else i have on my table during cutscenes. Not perfect, but better than that larping shit by a mile.
Metro 2033 was far from perfect, but as a guy who is fond of atmospheric games I have to endorse this kind of ride. The fact that you really had to conserve ammo made shooting interesting enough to me, and stealth sections weren't bad at all. And holy fuck are the graphics nice to look at.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
First game had many issues but I truly enjoy how a RUSSKIE FPS has finally caught up with and is gradually leaving behind western AAA shit.

Catching up to the worst games of the west? Oh what a fucking achievement.

My thoughts exactly.

edit:
villain of the story said:
I meant in terms of production values
The point still stands.

Metro’s full of a lot of quite complex game mechanics

¿ wat ?

Great atmosphere and setting, though. Pretty graphics. Narrow corridors. Good enough to skip through youtube walkthrough.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Unlike in that other game you got made up inside your fucking head?
You mean Metro Last Light and its "ass wipe mechanic"?

And I know you think running/driving through empty fields for 20 minutes to get to the action is way better than watching couple of minutes long cutscene, but to some of us it isn't.
I don't think so. And I also don't play games like that. Try another asspull retard?

At least I can enjoy me some tea/ice-cream/whatever else i have on my table during cutscenes. Not perfect, but better than that larping shit by a mile.
Yeah in "larping shit" ArmA gameplay is all about playing the game all the time, not about enjoying tea while the game plays itself like in "close to perfect" Metro 2033

And I know you think running/driving through empty fields for 20 minutes to get to the action is way better than watching couple of minutes long cutscene, but to some of us it isn't.
I don't think so. And I also don't play games like that. Try another asspull retard?

What's that? Are you trying to say you're not fond of hyperboles?
Thing is, situation I described can actually happen in Arma 2, while wiping mask off is certainly not going to be done every 5 seconds in Metro Last Light. Unless player is so retarded he kills everything from up close in a fucking shooter, maybe then I could imagine something like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom