Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Hideo Kojima bringer of incline, masteru raceu 2015 X O F :salute:

we need a new smilie

metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-pc-screenshot-069.png

dunno lah

Arcane
I can verify this. I'm running the game on 1920x1080 with everything set to maximum and I'm getting FPS consistently above 30, without any noticeable stuttering. I'm sure if I reduced some settings down a bit I'd probably get near 60 FPS but I like the bells and whistles.

My system is an ageing Intel Core 2 Quad 9660 clocked at 3 ghz, a GeForce 750TI and 8GB RAM. Final Fantasy XIII runs like a dog on my machine, so this one can be chalked up as a Japanese PC port done right.

Can your GPU use the DSR feature? It apparently upscales the resolution up to 4k which, in MGS5's case, improves draw distances and even texture resolution. If you can, try it out and please post some pics to verify this.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Simply magnificent port...if it could be called that; this runs, looks and plays better than 90% of the engines designed for PC
Having a problem here; my PS3 controller is beign detected and a generic usb dual controller but the Controls are all screwed up, tried X360ce both the 32 & 64 versión and while both can be configured they dont seem to work in game. I tried the same fixes that worked for Watch Dogs and The Evil Within but simply no dice...
Any advice would be more than welcome

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The port IS good, but I should forewarn everyone that it is fairly CPU intensive. If you have a strong GPU and a mid/low end CPU, you will get some bottlenecking. Also you can turn off a lot of the post processing effects like DoF if you want - things arguably look better without them, but that comes down to personal taste.

dunno lah

Arcane
It pisses me off that they had to combine all the post-processing effects into "Screen Filtering". I want those PC-exclusive water reflections without that DoF and Bokeh crap...

Tehdagah

Arcane
Also, there's actual good gameplay, in a Kojima game! HA!
Every MGS game had solid gameplay (pun intended). Yeah, there are tons of cutscenes, but the gameplay was always top notch for its time.
If you think a slow version of pac-man with poor camera is "top notch", yeah.

MGS4 and Peace Walker have solid gameplay, though.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I can verify this. I'm running the game on 1920x1080 with everything set to maximum and I'm getting FPS consistently above 30, without any noticeable stuttering. I'm sure if I reduced some settings down a bit I'd probably get near 60 FPS but I like the bells and whistles.

My system is an ageing Intel Core 2 Quad 9660 clocked at 3 ghz, a GeForce 750TI and 8GB RAM. Final Fantasy XIII runs like a dog on my machine, so this one can be chalked up as a Japanese PC port done right.
Isn't the PS4 version at 60fps?

Deleted member 7219

Isn't the PS4 version at 60fps?

Eurogamer reports 60 FPS is easily achievable with more powerful rigs than mine.

My processor is most likely the bottleneck here. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-pc-face-off

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Also, there's actual good gameplay, in a Kojima game! HA!
Every MGS game had solid gameplay (pun intended). Yeah, there are tons of cutscenes, but the gameplay was always top notch for its time.
If you think a slow version of pac-man with poor camera is "top notch", yeah.

MGS4 and Peace Walker have solid gameplay, though.

OK, so a lot of people use the term 'pac-man' stealth for MGS1-2, in fact, even I use that term, but the pac-man stealth, especially in 2, is very well done.

Divinity: Original Sin
It's fine on my rig (i7 2600 2.40 GHz, GTX670, 16GB ram), I'm playing with all ultra settings flares galore, and I didn't measure FPS, but it's not an issue so far. But the thing that i hate the most is Kiefer Suterland. Nothing against him, but looks like I'm playing Jack Bauer.

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
On my FX 6300/7870 rig it runs mostly at 60fps with everything on high but occassionaly drops to the low 20s for a couple of seconds. This is probably a CPU thing.

Deleted member 7219

It's fine on my rig (i7 2600 2.40 GHz, GTX670, 16GB ram), I'm playing with all ultra settings flares galore, and I didn't measure FPS, but it's not an issue so far. But the thing that i hate the most is Kiefer Suterland. Nothing against him, but looks like I'm playing Jack Bauer.

Kiefer Sutherland is a brilliant actor but I also have a problem with him being in the game. He isn't suited to play this character. I'm hopeless when it comes to Metal Gear lore, but wasn't Snake played by someone else?

It reminds me of when Ubisoft announced Michael Ironside wouldn't be playing Sam Fisher any more in the Splinter Cell games, and people went crazy.

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual

Kiefer Sutherland is a brilliant actor but I also have a problem with him being in the game. He isn't suited to play this character. I'm hopeless when it comes to Metal Gear lore, but wasn't Snake played by someone else?

It reminds me of when Ubisoft announced Michael Ironside wouldn't be playing Sam Fisher any more in the Splinter Cell games, and people went crazy.
I do kinda miss the raspy David Hayter voice but in Peace Walker it was laughably bad. It's probably a good thing Kiefer is replacing him.

Deleted member 7219

I do kinda miss the raspy David Hayter voice but in Peace Walker it was laughably bad. It's probably a good thing Kiefer is replacing him.

No philosophaaaay, no ideologaaaaay, countraaaaay

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, it made sense with MGS4 because that version of Snake had been fucked by accelerated aging, but the he kept it up with Peace Walkee and it became obvious he couldn't really do any other variation anymore.

I didn't mind that they swapped VA's, but I do kinda wish they kept Hayter on with Ground Zeroes and swapped with The Phantom Pain, just using damage to the vocal cords from smoke inhalation and advanced aging as an excuse or something.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The problem is that just as David Hayter's voice become one with Snake's voice, the same can be sad about Kiefer and Jack Bauer. I'm always thinking that I'm listening to Bauer when I play Ground Zeroes. Hayter wasn't that bad in PW. He should have dialed back on the gritty voice a little, but it was still 100% Snake.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The problem was using the same voice actor for Big Boss as they did for SS.

dunno lah

Arcane
Yeah, it made sense with MGS4 because that version of Snake had been fucked by accelerated aging, but the he kept it up with Peace Walkee and it became obvious he couldn't really do any other variation anymore.

I didn't mind that they swapped VA's, but I do kinda wish they kept Hayter on with Ground Zeroes and swapped with The Phantom Pain, just using damage to the vocal cords from smoke inhalation and advanced aging as an excuse or something.

It's not that he can't do another variation anymore. It's more like he's just a damn idiot who thinks that's how Snake should sound like. That old Metal Gear fan remake trailer clearly shows that he can still do the old (or should I say young) voice.

Personally, I've always thought that John Cygan should've been the VA for Big Boss.

Divinity: Original Sin
The problem is not the replacement, the problem is to cast kiefer when they could use anyone else less famous, or even someone famous with a voice that matched david hayter. Kiefer is famous in a similar role (jack bauer is a badass agent).

In the case of splinter cell, michael ironside left and sam fisher sounded young in blacklist, but at least the guy had a similar kind of voice and was an unknown.

Another example is batman arkham series, in which kevin conroy and mark hammil left the voiceovers in the 3rd game (arkham origins), and they were replaced by Roger Craig Smith and troy baker respectively, and they sounded very much like their predecessors, to the point that if you don't care about voice actors, you would hardly notice the diference. Roger Craig smith voiced Ezio Auditore in assassin's creed series, and I could only here and there glimpse a similarity.

The point is that when you have a more famous actor replacing an unknown person (david hayter is a nobody for non MGS fans), these guys won't humble themselves aknowledging work of these previous nobodies. When a famous leave, the nobodies emulate their voice because that's their job.

St. Toxic

Arcane
This thread made me aware that the teaser was out; just "finished" the mission, solid little game. Says I'm 10% in, but what do the other 90% consist of?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom