Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Caim

Arcane
Honestly, that is some of the less crazy shit in that game. For example, the boss fight where you have to shoot a dude with remote-controlled missiles.

While he's clinging onto your back.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
What about that bit where you convince a guard it's night-time by planting an owl nearby that you captured through a complicated process of heating rations for bait?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
You cannot be serious.
Sorry, I think I got it confused with another puzzle (possibly the one from MGS1, when you have to trap and kill that rat who ate your keycard).

What actually happens is that you convince a guard it's night-time by planting an owl nearby that you have just recently hatched from an egg and has spontaneously grown to adulthood. I think you catch the egg through tricking its mother through the aforementioned heated rations trick, but I haven't played the game in years (got it along with the Subsistence re-release of MGS3, along with the 3-hour long movie-ized version of the game which is surprisingly boring) so I can't really say for sure.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It also bears mention for the uninitiated that despite what you might assume from its name, Zanzibarland is actually located in the middle of buttfuck, Central Asia, at the former Soviet-Chinese border.

Caim

Arcane
Which I still think is a really stupid name. Zanzibarland. Seriously, Big Boss? I know the dude has a fairly limited imagination, but seriously?

Oh, and the Outer Heaven of Metal Gear 1 was located north of South Africa.

Caim

Arcane
Truly there is no replacement for Hideo.

Luckily we all know that this increased sexualization goes for the male characters as well.

Halo 4 designer is offended by boobs:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/61836/halo-4-designer-brands-sexy-mgs5-character-lazy-and-exploitative/

These boobs:

z14560981Q.jpg

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm just going to leave this here:

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes seems, above all else, safe, despite its subtle but significant changes. The prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which eases players to the main game’s open-world elements, introduces numerous new elements to the franchise, none of which stand out as exceptionally interesting on their own. In unison, one after the other, and in the context of the next Big Boss story, these changes shake up the norm, disrupting expectations with more modern systems. The stealth, action, interrogation, infiltration, and navigation mechanics feel familiar in ways that feel equal parts right and wrong.

When I left the debut gameplay demo of Ground Zeroes, one thought looped in my mind: This is an exceptional Splinter Cell sequel.

Before a guard enters an alert state, you’ll get a button prompt indicating you’re busted. Hold the left trigger, and you’ll briefly freeze time, giving you the opportunity to pump a couple quiet bullets into an alarmed enemy’s eyeballs.

Boss sprints, slides, climbs, and tags enemies like Sam Fisher has since 2009’s Splinter Cell: Conviction.

What caught me off guard most, and what really cemented Metal Gear Solid as something that’s forever different, was regenerating health. Hardcore fans are used to tactical ration recovery, and cherishing the limited boost each food packet imparts on their HP bars. Fleeing from a loud fight -- which appears to rely heavily on lock-on aiming -- brings color back to the screen, indicating a new lease on life.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09...r-cell-effect?abthid=52297c7c13532e4667000025

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Seems IGN forgot that MGS has had a type of regenerating health mechanic since MGS3 (I don't even remember if MGS4 had a direct heal item like MGS3 had those like five healing medicines across the game).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The common sense reaction to sniper bikini is "yes that looks stupid, but who cares." The fact so few people on the internet can say who cares is the downfall of Western society.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seems IGN forgot that MGS has had a type of regenerating health mechanic since MGS3 (I don't even remember if MGS4 had a direct heal item like MGS3 had those like five healing medicines across the game).
Yes but I fear that it wasn't fast regeneration. I think this time it will be a Gears of War type thing, where you regenerate all the way up to max. Oh Hideo, why have you forsaken me?

Before a guard enters an alert state, you’ll get a button prompt indicating you’re busted. Hold the left trigger, and you’ll briefly freeze time, giving you the opportunity to pump a couple quiet bullets into an alarmed enemy’s eyeballs.
Really? Fucking really?
tags enemies like Sam Fisher has since 2009’s Splinter Cell: Conviction.
Why Hideo, WHY????

What happened to this world where my idols go the popamole way? MGS was never supposed to be like about this shit. What's next, there will be cover mechanics?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MGS4 had already gone quite far into popamole territory. I had a roommate who played it just like it was CoD.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MGS4 had already gone quite far into popamole territory. I had a roommate who played it just like it was CoD.
It was possible to play it like a shooter, but why would I want that? The shooting mechanics were not too solid to be honest. And playing it like CoD is a huge exageration, it is much slower.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was possible to play it like a shooter, but why would I want that? The shooting mechanics were not too solid to be honest. And playing it like CoD is a huge exageration, it is much slower.
I mean he just ran in everywhere and shot everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom