Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Keep in mind that the series didn't get a rotating camera until the rerelease of 3.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Definitely play the Subsistence version (HD release) of MGS3 as opposed to the original release. The camera was so much better making the game one of the best (if not the best) entries in the series.

Definitely play the Subsistence version (HD release) of MGS3 as opposed to the original release. The camera was so much better making the game one of the best (if not the best) entries in the series.

Already done. :)

I'm gonna see if I can buy the legacy edition with all HD re-releases tomorrow.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
tumblr_nvnmf01Nfg1rm8k4oo3_540.gif

tumblr_nvnmf01Nfg1rm8k4oo1_540.gif

tumblr_nvnmf01Nfg1rm8k4oo4_540.gif

tumblr_nvnmf01Nfg1rm8k4oo2_540.gif

By this guy.

Deleted member 7219

Resumed my playthrough now that I have a week off work.

Completed part 1 of the game (Sahelamthropus). I still don't know what Skullface was doing, the jeep ride and the song that ended it made no sense, it just confused me even more.

I also get the sense that Kojima hates the fact that English is the lingua franca, which I find absolutely hilarious. We need a common language to communicate, trade, share ideas. If not English, what? Japanese?

Superuser

Educated
I also get the sense that Kojima hates the fact that English is the lingua franca, which I find absolutely hilarious. We need a common language to communicate, trade, share ideas. If not English, what? Japanese?
It's not so much about the language English as to about what it represents. More broadly, what the existence of a 'lingua franca' creates.

That plot point (and so many things about the game) didn't stop SJWs from calling MGSV 'colonialist' of course, even though it's blatantly critical of colonial processes and systems. Don't read this ridiculous article, but do read the top comment on it (Disqus page), which is some of the best analysis I've seen on MGSV. Discusses the plot point you referred to in detail, too.

Addendum: another great article on the dissection of nationalism of MGSV... as long as you can get past who the author is (urgh). I gotta say it's a good summary though. I'm an MGS fanatic and everything Leigh Alexander says in the article is pretty well documented and often straight from Kojima's mouth.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
We need a common language to communicate, trade, share ideas. If not English, what? Japanese?

English is only a common language because first England and than later on USA was superpower through history. If Russia or China had the economic and social impact through history like those countries the lingua franca would be russian or chinese, and you would be speaking those languages without even thinking and it would be 'normal'for you just like today you are speaking English.

MapMan

Arcane
Okay so there's the nuclear disarmament event. Stealing nukes from people is really damn hard or I'm a noob. Doing it with stealth is really hard as almost everyone has drones, cameras and a lot of crew. It doesn't help that a lot of people on PC cheat and have only S++ staff. I guess the easiest way to do it is to try to be hidden as long as possible and the moment you get discovered you let all hell loose and keep running and gunning to the nukes. Anyone successfully infiltrated some FOBs with high defense? What's the best approach?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Completed part 1 of the game (Sahelamthropus). I still don't know what Skullface was doing, the jeep ride and the song that ended it made no sense, it just confused me even more.

Skullface was devastated over the fact that for his entire life he was a servant to people from other countries, forced to speak languages that weren't his own. So he wanted to get rid of them all. The audio logs they'll be dumping on you after each story mission will spell it out a lot clearer.

I also get the sense that Kojima hates the fact that English is the lingua franca, which I find absolutely hilarious.

Can you blame him?

Deleted member 7219

We need a common language to communicate, trade, share ideas. If not English, what? Japanese?

English is only a common language because first England and than later on USA was superpower through history. If Russia or China had the economic and social impact through history like those countries the lingua franca would be russian or chinese, and you would be speaking those languages without even thinking and it would be 'normal'for you just like today you are speaking English.

That was my point. If the French industrialised before Britain, we'd likely be speaking French as the main language on this forum because their empire would have been the dominant one.

No matter what, one language would dominate others because that is how we bank and trade. I actually think English will be dominant for some time to come, because it is the one language that unites all the developing economies.

Trotsky

Arcane
I'll probably skip to #3 and Peace Walker.

Peacewalker fucking sucks its even worse than MGS4 in some ways which I didn't think was possible.

As for starting the series go with the first game but not the original but the MGS: Twin Snakes remake.

Not sure if you know how to use an emulator but Twin Snakes will give you a modern gaming experience.

Last edited:

Trotsky

Arcane
Is it necessary to play the Metal Gear games in order, or can I just jump in anywhere?
I'd recommend playing them in order, since each game builds on gameplay mechanics introduced by its predecessor. The Metal Gear games are fun, but skippable since the major plot points of those games are gone over in MGS1. If you're utterly uninterested in the Solid Snake/modern aspect of the story though, then MGS3, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, and MGSV form a solid story that take place before MGS1, 2, and 4, and don't require familiarity with the overarching canon to understand, though you'll miss a lot of the references to prior games.

Stop confusing the newbie only the first three Metal Gear Solid games are worth playing.

After that he can play MGSV and he'll be much better off for skipping the crap in between.

Is it necessary to play the Metal Gear games in order, or can I just jump in anywhere?
Just play MGS one and three. Ignore everything else.

It's worth noting that the best games in the series had self contained plots.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Just play MGS V and ignore everything else, other 'games' in MGS series are just cutscene simulators.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll probably skip to #3 and Peace Walker.

Peacewalker fucking sucks its even worse than MGS4 in some ways which I didn't think was possible.

As for starting the series go with the first game but not the original but the MGS: Twin Snakes remake.

Not sure if you know how to use an emulator but Twin Snakes will give you a modern gaming experience.

LOL, you are bitching about Peacewalker yet offering Twin Snakes instead of the original?
:hahyou:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The original came out almost 20 years ago its okay to let go,
cuck.png
People are throwing around my cuck tag many times, like that would prove their point. But you are still retarded for liking Twin Snakes over MGS1 with its ridiculous cutscenes. I mean, MGS has campy cutscenes, but Snake is surfing on a missile in Twin Snakes FFS. Fuck you!

Trotsky

Arcane
Why do you feel so threatened? People like you appear to be emotionally invested in this argument. I've repeatedly said Twin Snakes has flaws but its pros outweigh the cons.

Metal Gear Solid has never been a realistic series so drop the phony outrage. A combination of espionage, conspiracy, rambo, and the supernatural has always been the draw.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Why do you feel so threatened? People like you appear to be emotionally invested in this argument. I've repeatedly said Twin Snakes has flaws but its pros outweigh the cons.

Metal Gear Solid has never been a realistic series so drop the phony outrage. A combination of espionage, conspiracy, rambo, and the supernatural has always been the draw.
I'm just trying to save a soul from playing Twin Snakes, thanks to your recommendation.

Also, there is a difference between not being realistic and surfing on a fucking missile. Especially in MGS1, which was still more grounded than the other games in the series. Also, the voice acting is worse in TS.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Why the only scene people complain about twin snakes are that missile surfing scene?

There are many more scenes other than that one that are inferior to the original game. The soundtrack is just one example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom