Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Personally I like noisily taking down guards at bases while remaining hidden. I appreciate that blasting C4 as a distraction or as an IED is a legitimate strategy now. Had a blast laying Claymores at key locations guards would get lured to after setting off explosions.

Well, it kind of worked in MGS3, but that would really just summon more reinforcements rather than fully distracting guards to a location.

For checkpoints, you can often run back to that checkpoint location and it will save again. Just do this every time you take out a few guards or accomplish a minor objective.

Caim

Arcane
How's the writing in the other languages, anyway? Any of you speak Russian and are able to understand the Russian soliders? I speak Dutch and I can understand a fair bit (though far from everything) that the soldiers speaking Afrikaans are saying.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, it seems this game is getting some pretty good review scores on PS4. ;)

41ij7ZJ.jpg

Anyone know how to disable the brightness adjustment effect, where as soon as you get in shadows the whole world brightens so that you can't see shadows? It's making stealth FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE AND RAGE INDUCING.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One thing I've really been impressed with the videos is just how much attention to detail there's in the game. There were a lot of things I didn't even think about trying, like the awesome box trolling thing, or that power lines can electrocute when knocked down during rain.

Caim

Arcane
One thing I've really been impressed with the videos is just how much attention to detail there's in the game. There were a lot of things I didn't even think about trying, like the awesome box trolling thing, or that power lines can electrocute when knocked down during rain.
It reminds me of the stuff you saw in Metal Gear Solid 2. In the strut with the cafetaria you could shoot every single bottle and every piece of fruit and it would burst individually. And if you shot the bucket of ice the cubes floating apart from others would melt faster than the ones clustering together.

That kind of shit must be what Hideo put his effort into, at the cost of the game at large.

Vaarna_Aarne

I don't really see it as a cost to the game at large, a big part in Metal Gear is how carefully crafted the games are. I'll rather take a short game with that kind of fine detail than a Skyrim.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That kind of shit must be what Hideo put his effort into, at the cost of the game at large.
Ahahaha, attention to detail is a bad thing now. What's next, we should not have complex systems in RPGs?

On another note, this fucking Code Talker mission...

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Kojima-esque details are cool when they are added on top of a solid game but you shouldn't waste time on coming up with that shit when the base game is as unfinished as TPP.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kojima-esque details are cool when they are added on top of a solid game but you shouldn't waste time on coming up with that shit when the base game is as unfinished as TPP.
I don't think this makes a lot of extra work to do. All these tricks are possible because of the physics and AI engine. And since these two has to be done anyway, they have to spend time for it. All the extra fun is made by the players, who try to use the engine to their means.

lightbane

Arcane
Sometimes, the increasingly shitty Meristation webpage shows some fun/interesting videos and/or other content in an otherwise sea of shit. This is one of them:

Vaarna_Aarne

Also, what the fuck is up with this meme that Kaz is some kind of mega fucking racist? It's all over youtube.
It was started because there was a false rumour on 4chan that Miller was going to be revealed to be racist in the story, particularly against Africans. You can guess how many minutes it took for Kazuhira "If you fulton a coon, I'll just shoot the balloon" Miller to become MGS' Ben Garrison irreversibly.

Beowulf

Arcane

Caim

Arcane
I got a couple of soldiers who have only one part in their codename, like Parrot. Are they special for some reason or is that just a quirk of the code name system?

ultimanecat

Arcane
I have Parrot too. Typically those names belong to unique prisoners or soldiers from story missions, (like how you can capture The Viscount and he keeps the name Viscount once on MB). I don't remember where Parrot is from but I'm pretty sure you get him toward the end of chapter 1.

In trying to look him up, I lost 5 minutes of my life reading an article by Brianna Wu on Polygon about how you can play as a female Snake who is better than Kiefer, because she's either too retarded to realize or too disingenuous to note that the game lets you play as any of the randomized soldiers you recruit.

Trotsky

Arcane
Also, what the fuck is up with this meme that Kaz is some kind of mega fucking racist? It's all over youtube.

Kaz being a hardcore racist would have added great depth to his character and made the 1980s mercenary setting more stronger.

Last edited:

omega21

Arcane
I got a couple of soldiers who have only one part in their codename, like Parrot. Are they special for some reason or is that just a quirk of the code name system?

In addition to what was said above, I believe the one-word names are given to ex-MSF soldiers who you get from the "Rescue the old MB Soldiers" side ops.

for example: Mosquito who attacks your base was from MSF in MGS 3: PW

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It occured to me that all this Fultoning is fucking retarded. Basicly I can neither ghost levels, neither murder everybody, because I am forced to fulton lots of soldiers to build up my base.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom