Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Saladin

Literate
No matter how hard i try.
This Metal Gear Solid V i cannot love.

At first i thought it was for the main protagonist,which is obvius since the second frame in Afghanistan who is.
I mean,if you played MGS3 you can certainly recognzise Naked Snake or not.

But by the way,i don't like like the progression.
I am right now in chapter 2,and i don't give a fuck about anyone.
Even Ocelot,and i fucking love that guy since MGS1.

It's just wrong.
the gameplay is excellent don't get me wrong.Is like Snake Eater on steroid.
But.....but.
It's nowhere near the 3,and miles away from the 1....

I don't give a fuck about mother base,i don't give a fuck about Skull Face(Lol wtf of a villiain he is?seems like out of an episode of HE-MAN),don't give a fuck about Sahelantropous or the stupid buddy like Quiet.
I don't give a fuck about anything because there is no effort in chara development.

I miss the Codec also.And the Subsistence mission are retarderd.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
No matter how hard i try.
This Metal Gear Solid V i cannot love.

At first i thought it was for the main protagonist,which is obvius since the second frame in Afghanistan who is.
I mean,if you played MGS3 you can certainly recognzise Naked Snake or not.

But by the way,i don't like like the progression.
I am right now in chapter 2,and i don't give a fuck about anyone.
Even Ocelot,and i fucking love that guy since MGS1.

It's just wrong.
the gameplay is excellent don't get me wrong.Is like Snake Eater on steroid.
But.....but.
It's nowhere near the 3,and miles away from the 1....

I don't give a fuck about mother base,i don't give a fuck about Skull Face(Lol wtf of a villiain he is?seems like out of an episode of HE-MAN),don't give a fuck about Sahelantropous or the stupid buddy like Quiet.
I don't give a fuck about anything because there is no effort in chara development.

I miss the Codec also.And the Subsistence mission are retarderd.

Yep, it's the weakest game as far as story and characters go. Portable Ops and Peace Walker are much better. Even Ghost Babel is better. A sad way to end the series.

Saladin

Literate
I don't think this will be the end of the franchise.
At least,i don't think it will be the end of the franchise(not counting pachinko shit) IF Konami doesn't want to bankrupt definitively.

Caim

Arcane
I don't think this will be the end of the franchise.
At least,i don't think it will be the end of the franchise(not counting pachinko shit) IF Konami doesn't want to bankrupt definitively.
Don't worry, they're working on a remake of Metal Gear Solid 3 in the FOX engine.

Which will be the basis of a pachinko machine.

:negative:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Ah I see the new of Metal Gear Survive also hit this place.
I was rather stunned when I watched this, at first like everyone else I thought it was about one of the regular guys surviving and perhaps going off on some infiltration mission, but then when the wormhole opened and started sucking up the pieces of that oil rig base I was thinking for a moment that I was checking out the trailer for a whole different kind of game.

When the zombies started to appear I honestly asked myself that the people who were developing this had either lost their minds or planning one major headscrew for those people who might actually play this.

I can not help but think that the revelation will be that the soldier in question we play is in a coma in a hospital and that this is some nightmare of his that we will be playing through.

Also, don't care about MGSV either, I abandoned ship during MGSIV, carefully gave it another try with Peace Walker and Revengeance (I hate that camera), and then decided that the ship Metal Gear Solid should go on without me.

There is always Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake and Ghost Babel if I ever feel like playing a MG game again.

Trotsky

Arcane
Funnily enough, Hayter's voice acting performance is a lot better in that commercial than in the last MGS games he was in.

I'm still not sure whether Hayter's voice acting declined or the writing got a lot worse. Probably a combination of the two.

Don't see the issue with that. I mean, what does it matter what kind of moments from the series they use to make money from their pachinko slots? MGS was milked enough as it was with Kojima on board, and given the direction of the series, this is hardly something to make a fuss about other than to continuously wag your finger at Konami and continue bitching about a has-been company.

Agreed. The idea of a MGS3 remake is ridiculous and the characters look terrible. They don't even resemble the original art direction.

Yep, it's the weakest game as far as story and characters go. Portable Ops and Peace Walker are much better. Even Ghost Babel is better. A sad way to end the series.

Nothing is worse than MGS4's nano machines, lore breaking, and weird unfunny homosexual vibes. Peacewalker is bad as well. The series has been in a long decline ever since Kojima's co-writer Tomokazu Fukushima left the series. That's not to say there is nothing redeemable about these games but the bad outweighs the good. MGSV however might be getting a second chance. The definitive edition is set to be released containing Ground Zeroes and the MP DLC. The big question is will there be new single player content....

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Funnily enough, Hayter's voice acting performance is a lot better in that commercial than in the last MGS games he was in.

I'm still not sure whether Hayter's voice acting declined or the writing got a lot worse. Probably a combination of the two.

His VA definitely got worse. In later games, it's very awkward and forced in many scenes. I recently replayed MGS1 and was surprised how good most of the voice acting actually was, especially Snake. I don't know what exactly what happened after MGS1 but I assume that Hayter is just a bad actor. Instead, he has natural talent, voice and disposition that worked perfectly for Snake, and he was able to fully utilize it in MGS1 since there were no expectations or benchmarks to live up to.

But the game became a massive hit and Hayter/Snake received a lot of praise and fans. So when the later games were made, Hayter tried to consciously replicate his MGS1 performance which he couldn't do since he is not a good actor. So, his new Snake performances ended up being awkward, unintentional parodies of his original performance, and thus bad.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Nothing is worse than MGS4's nano machines, lore breaking, and weird unfunny homosexual vibes. Peacewalker is bad as well. The series has been in a long decline ever since Kojima's co-writer Tomokazu Fukushima left the series. That's not to say there is nothing redeemable about these games but the bad outweighs the good. MGSV however might be getting a second chance. The definitive edition is set to be released containing Ground Zeroes and the MP DLC. The big question is will there be new single player content....

The story of MGS4 was dumb, but at least it was finished. It had a proper conclusion and plenty of cutscenes and character stuff. MGSV is mostly audio logs and doesn't even have a real ending, it just stops. I wouldn't hold your breath for more singleplayer content either, who would make it? Kojima is gone, his studio is disbanded.

Caim

Arcane
MGSV has a conclusion to the main story, then muddles on with stuff that it did not wrap up. It has you redo missions for no reason, and half the story is hidden away in audio logs instead of cutscenes that go on for way too long like a proper Metal Gear Solid game.

Caim

Arcane
How many good audio logs were there in the game, by the way? The one with Skull Face and the bell, maybe one or two with Strangelove... and that's it, I think.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

His VA definitely got worse. In later games, it's very awkward and forced in many scenes. I recently replayed MGS1 and was surprised how good most of the voice acting actually was, especially Snake. I don't know what exactly what happened after MGS1 but I assume that Hayter is just a bad actor. Instead, he has natural talent, voice and disposition that worked perfectly for Snake, and he was able to fully utilize it in MGS1 since there were no expectations or benchmarks to live up to.

But the game became a massive hit and Hayter/Snake received a lot of praise and fans. So when the later games were made, Hayter tried to consciously replicate his MGS1 performance which he couldn't do since he is not a good actor. So, his new Snake performances ended up being awkward, unintentional parodies of his original performance, and thus bad.
I'd say it was just general age as well. His performance in MGS2 was fairly good, especially since he was now a supporting character and thus was expected to speak a lot more dialogue. MGS3 was also good, but also the point where things started slipping and it was becoming clearer he couldn't keep it up. MGS4 gets a pass from a lot of people because they assumed he's intentionally sounding as shitty as possible because of Snake's artificial aging, but then he did it again for Peace Walker despite Big Boss not having the same issue.

I remember during the time of release, one of the most criticized aspects of Peace Walker was just how shitty David Hayter sounded as Big Boss. It'd been pretty obvious for years that David Hayter was a C-list voice actor from the Ocean dub era of shitty western performers for Japanese media who just so happened to basically stumble on the role of his career, but by 2010, it was also obvious the guy just didn't have it in him anymore.

Then Ground Zeroes and the Kiefer switcharoo happened, and all of a sudden everyone did a complete 180 and declared that Hayter is one of the best voice actors out there (I remember some even compared the guy to people like Troy Baker and Steve Blum, who's vocal range Hayter could only fucking dream of), declaring anyone who says he's shitty or was ever shitty isn't a true fan of the series. I'd even go as far as to say a majority of the day one "MGSV Boss is a doppelganger" theories were spawned by diehard fanboys desperately trying to come up with justifications for Kojima sneaking Hayter in the game as a cameo.

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
Ah yes, I remember all those "Reason BB is voiced by Sutherland is because Solid Snake will show up in MGSV!!" posts and mentaility going around.

There is no greater rollercoaster than following MGS fans go nuts leading up to the release of a game.

KK1001

Arbiter
Sad that people are still talking about this game and can't let the franchise just die already. What's really sad is that we'll never see the Fox engine used again in more capable hands than Kojima's ADHD ass.

With that said - I still look forward to what's coming next from him. He went overly ambitious and didn't have the patience or the slave wages of CD Projekt to pull off a giant game. Let him do some ~deep~ story-driven drivel.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Sad that people are still talking about this game and can't let the franchise just die already. What's really sad is that we'll never see the Fox engine used again in more capable hands than Kojima's ADHD ass.

fox engine is used in pes 2017

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Behead those who insult MGS4 and MGSV.

Audio logs are one of the most cancerous trends in modern video games.
The worst thing about the goddamn audio logs in MGSV is that I'm 100% we got them because Kojima took pleb criticism of MGS4's amount of cutscenes super cereal and now we get audio logs because plebs gonna pleb.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Behead those who insult MGS4 and MGSV.

Audio logs are one of the most cancerous trends in modern video games.
The worst thing about the goddamn audio logs in MGSV is that I'm 100% we got them because Kojima took pleb criticism of MGS4's amount of cutscenes super cereal and now we get audio logs because plebs gonna pleb.
:bro: Can't brofist enough. Who the fuck thought that hundreds of audiologs are better than some action packed cutscenes? Fucking gamers who complained about this.

Which one is better: sitting in front of the game looking at some cool metal gear cutsene for 5 minutes, or sitting there staring at the static screen listning to the voice for 5 minutes.

Trotsky

Arcane
That's dumb all MGS games had long cut scenes as well but they were done right. MGS4's drivel was enabled by Blu-Ray technology which removed all previous disc limitations.

The balance between story/gameplay has always been an important one. MGSV is a good game and the audio cassettes were a nice touch but that's not the core problem at all.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MGSV is *full* of points where you can tell a cutscene was just replaced by an audio log and the story suffered greatly because of it. Perhaps the most (to me) anal-burning example is the audio log with Skullface, Codetalker, and the bell. That shit would have been an amazing cutscene.

And don't diss MGS4's cutscenes, because of the technical capabilities then-next-gen technology allowed it's going to be forever a near-unmatched example of amazing levels cutscenes can be taken, and just further proof that Kojima is not only the best in the industry when it comes to realizing cinematic presentation but perhaps the only one that actually understands how to do so.

While I'm kind of sick of constant bitching about nanomachines in MGS4's story when there's exactly two points where they are detrimental to the whole, in both of those cases it must again be remembered that it was plebs gonna pleb complaints about MGS2 being "too hard to understand" so Kojima opted for tying up all loose ends instead of leaving things unanswered or ambiguous.

To me, the importance is not some nebulous "balance" between amount of gameplay and story, but how high you can take the game in each regard. And in this regard there is no other franchise like Metal Gear when it comes to pushing the envelope of gameplay and story, or using gameplay as a means of storytelling. MGSV is the first time a main entry in the series has left me genuinely feeling disappointed with its story, and a big part of that is the audio logs. Though I did have Skull Unit level frustration about the whole AI weapon thing and ZEKE in Peace Walker too (mostly because it really messes with the whole Moore's Law angle of the overarching story theme about man's relationship with technology with REX and nanotechnology causing a global explosion in dangerous technology), but in case of both Peace Walker and Portable Ops I don't consider them particularly egrerious because MGS3 left no big questions about events between it and Metal Gear since it put all the pieces in place for Outer Heaven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom