Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Excepting the OST and the cinematics directions, Twin snakes is better than the original for me. FFS in terms of gameplay MGS is limited and clunky as fuck. Is a pain to play. It aged pretty bad in comparison with MGS2 for example.
In terms of gameplay MGS1 is a superb example of classic old school video game design from the 8-bit and 16-bit updated to PS1 hardware. Everything you can do is there because it interacts with the level and boss design with machine precision. It's enjoyable to play to this day precisely because its pac-stealth gameplay is fluidly synched with everything else. Twin Snakes ruins this by breaking the original game's rules by removing the gameplay limitations for the player that were there for a reason.

And the only way it can feel clunky to someone is if they're a newfag that never used the original NES D-pad (fun fact: NES controller had the first ever cross-shaped D-pad).

You know what other decisions Kojima made with the series? Attributing basically everything supernatural to nanomachines and parasites, revealing the comic relief cast from MGS3 were the overarching villains of the entire franchise
To be fair though, these were motivated by the public reaction to the ending of MGS2 being open for interpretation, so Kojima went out of his way to tie up every single loose end and give everything an explanation in MGS4.

Also not everything supernatural was nanomachines, Vamp was the notable case of that (and wholly unnecessary and done just so people would asking why is there a vampire in the game). Screaming Mantis' "psychic powers" were actually nanomachine control, but that just ties in with the whole tech-crutch theme the game has going (and with the BnBs being tech-crutch mock-ups of FOXHOUND), since both Psycho Mantis and The Sorrow's psychic abilities were 100% real deal. I found the parasite superpowers much more offensive anyway (which is made moreso because the main thing about what the vocal chord parasites was pretty good and lead to very interesting ponderings, and could have easily carried the overall plot as a bioweapon action-thriller without Skulls or fucking Sahelanthropus), and it didn't help that Skull Unit were dial-a-tough-mooks and Quiet was unbelievably boring and unnecessary.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Being a classic old school game isn't always a good thing. It's pac-stealth gameplay is fine for a game for the MSX console, for a Metal gear 3: Snake in Alaska game. But for a game released on PSX it is extremely bland, t's just a very limited stealth action game. And the problem is not about tech limitations, because a couple of months after Ocarina of time offered the same gameplay stealth during a section plus an infliltration in fully 3D in a place (Gerudo valley) which felt more satisfying that the whole MGS game in terms of stealth. Some boss battles are just a pain in the ass, and all the action of the game is poorly desgined. Is a shame that the reason that enemies kill you when they find you is because the shooting system is shit and not because they're punishing you hard. Twin snakes offers the same that MGS2, the same that MGS should have been offered. It allows you to interact with enemies in a proper way. It fails in some areas, like enemies that not punish you enough or bosses that weren't completely redesigned, but as an action and stealth game it is just more compelling than the original.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Pacman-stealth is completely acceptable in MGS1, bad shooting mechanics and top-down camera that lets you see only a few meters in front of you while enemies can shoot from a lot farther away are not.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The funny thing is I never had a problem with any of that in MGS1. I had more of a problem with the controls in MGS2 and Twin Snakes at times. I never liked the first person view for shooting, or at least how it was controlled.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The funny thing is I never had a problem with any of that in MGS1. I had more of a problem with the controls in MGS2 and Twin Snakes at times. I never liked the first person view for shooting, or at least how it was controlled.
First person shooting was never good in Metal Gear Solid games, up intil MGS4. The only thing it was good for is to target somebody from a distance and make a headshot with a tranq gun. If you were in action, first person view was useless.

Superuser

Educated
The funny thing is I never had a problem with any of that in MGS1.
That's because MGS1 levels were designed around the limitations of its gameplay. Having fixed camera angles is not a problem at all if the levels are designed correctly. Neither is the lack of first-person aiming.
The only place where this is a problem in MGS1 is climbing the tower, which is without question a bullshit section, but at least it's easy (even on Extreme, you can easily survive without consuming a single ration).

The problem with The Twin Snakes is that it took the tightly-designed levels of MGS1 and bolted on MGS2's features on it, ruining the Cyborg Ninja boss fight (don't say the name, it wasn't revealed at that point) and several sneaking sections.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
A trailer showing the tanker pant, which is a 1 hour of a 13 hours game, taunting you with a Snake Vs RAY piloted by Liquid. What a Kojimbo ruse.

Anyway, I'l never understand the reason because the stop using the MGS2 main theme as the theme of the series. Supposedly they received plagiarims accusations for it. Why the didn't simply licensed the theme?

Caim

Arcane
Anyway, I'l never understand the reason because the stop using the MGS2 main theme as the theme of the series. Supposedly they received plagiarims accusations for it. Why the didn't simply licensed the theme?
Dunno, maybe because the estate of Georgy Sviridov didn't like that Tappi Iwase plagiarized his work and decided that he could go fuck himself. I mean, listen to this:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
A trailer showing the tanker pant, which is a 1 hour of a 13 hours game, taunting you with a Snake Vs RAY piloted by Liquid. What a Kojimbo ruse.

Imagine the outrage today if it would be same with phantom pain. You play 30 minutes with big boss and rest of the game with some unknown soldier. He got away with it back at the day but today mgs would get nuked.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

Imagine the outrage today if it would be same with phantom pain. You play 30 minutes with big boss and rest of the game with some unknown soldier. He got away with it back at the day but today mgs would get nuked.

:hahyou:

MapMan

Arcane
We all got played like a damn fiddle :argh:

1EUKTmL.png

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Speaking of fiddles, you know what would have been unbelievably awesome? If Big Boss at the end of MGS4 had been voiced by Kurt Russell or John Carpenter.

Superuser

Educated
Speaking of fiddles, you know what would have been unbelievably awesome? If Big Boss at the end of MGS4 had been voiced by Kurt Russell or John Carpenter.
That would totally be up Kojima's alley if not wet dream. Shame he didn't have the Hollywood connections at the time to make it happen.

Caim

Arcane
That would totally be up Kojima's alley if not wet dream. Shame he didn't have the Hollywood connections at the time to make it happen.
Isn't that just a matter of contacting their agents and offering them a quick buck for a few hours of voice acting in a work inspired by Escape from New York?

Come to think of it, doesn't Raiden insinuate that Escape from New York exists in the Metal Gear universe when he tells Snake that he gets the Plisskin part in his name? That'd be interesting.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's cool. Sony is a nice publisher as far as console popamole goes.

Also Sony dub Kojima's new game as "a console exclusive to PS4", which implies it could come to a non-console platform: PC.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
New PS4 exclusive: play as the gritty anti-hero Rigid Serpent as he fights to save the world from the deadly superweapon Plastic Equipment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom