Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

dunno lah

Arcane
Btw I realized today that you have to kick out old soldiers with shit stats if you want to recruit new ones with better stats. I thought they might automatically replenish the ranks with better soldiers, but that isn't the case. I've been going through the bottom feeders with E, D and C ranks and just throwing them out. You'll lose levels but gain more when you get people with better ranks. Kinda of a pain in the asst, but whatcha gonna do? Also take a look at where Miller has put the soldiers. I thought he'd allocate them by where they are best suited, but I found a guy with A+ in Combat doing R&D with a E rank in research. Probably because I recruited him before unlocking the Combat Unit.

Got to Africa and it's p. cool. Gonna spend some more time doing optional missions again to rebuild my team with better stats and research more gear. 2 levels away in R&D from being able to research the 2nd tier Sneaking Suit. Just researched a tranq sniper so capping people should be so much easier now :d, although maybe the D-Walker is best suited for that since it comes with a tranq gn. Just run n' gun and take everyone you want!

How's the difficulty?

Caim

Arcane
How's the difficulty?
Not that difficult. If you approach slowly and methodically you should have no trouble sneaking into whatever place you need to be. If you are spotted it's not too difficult to escape, and fighting everyone off is possible, but not desired because of what it'll do to your score.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Not that difficult. If you approach slowly and methodically you should have no trouble sneaking into whatever place you need to be. If you are spotted it's not too difficult to escape, and fighting everyone off is possible, but not desired because of what it'll do to your score.

MY main difficulty is finding out all the optional mission objectives, sometimes they are really hard to figure out.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kojima's last goodbye:

TiredSecondaryIceblueredtopzebra.gif

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just started playing.

This game looks amazing. Maybe not super hifh end technologies, but the animations and especcially level of detail is great!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How's the difficulty?

I'd say that it's more or less the same as in previous MGS games. It's largely dependant on you and what you want to accomplish. If you just want the story then it's easy to gun down everyone and proceed from point A to point B. If you want the get good scores on missions and find good soldiers for your army so you can research better equipment then you are going to have to put more effort and it can get really tricky in some parts, especially when there are more than just foot soldiers to deal with (patrolling helicopters are really cool in this game thanks to the above average AI and I'm sure there will be more mecha patrolling enemy camps later on). The more you progress through the game the better equipment the enemies get outfitted in as well to deal with various situations, like Night Vision Goggles, heavier armor, shields etc. all of these things mean that you have to adapt more methodically if you want to be stealthy.

Ivan

Arcane
I was surprised that they didn't emphasize the importance of getting the cardbox box invoice for fast travel. It turned out I had missed most of them.

Also, how exactly do you "unlock" mission objectives. It seems to me that it's just a poor way of making you play every mission twice. Or am I wrong and you can find and complete them on a first attempt?

Caim

Arcane
Also, how exactly do you "unlock" mission objectives. It seems to me that it's just a poor way of making you play every mission twice. Or am I wrong and you can find and complete them on a first attempt?
From what I can tell they don't bother telling you them in advance, so have fun replaying every single fucking mission.

I know that you can't complete the "Extract Miller" mission 100% on your first try because you need certain times to be able to clear it 100%.

gromit

Arcane
From what I can tell they don't bother telling you them in advance, so have fun replaying every single fucking mission.
I read an anecdote last night (thought it was here, guess not) about someone taking an outpost before they were told to... and then they got an instant clear when it was assigned, Gothic-style. Hope that's the case, and for all of them. Proactive play deserves to be rewarded.

Maybe not super hifh end technologies, but the animations and especcially level of detail is great!
For me, it's the lighting treatment. It's gorgeous, scales well, and most importantly is used well. The look of this game (and engine) should put other developers to shame. But as you hinted they'll probably fall back on checklists of stuff it doesn't do "right," that their engine does.

I hope they don't think too hard about that, because most of them get worse results anyway... and if the engine is doing everything right, that really narrows down where things are fucking up, doesn't it?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really enjoy the game. Stealth and combat is very fun, and I love how dynamic everything is. Especially the combat when shit hit the fan.

One thing I find kinda annoying though is the dog. Cool concept, and he is useful. But for some god damn reason he won't stay when I tell him to stay. So infiltration mission is impossible thanks to him. The guards keep noticing that random dog running around :)
Shame really because I want to bond with the dog, he is useful finding stuff.

Deakul

Augur
Be prone, have a weapon zoomed in, and hold sprint while moving around.

Also, fucking christ though, it takes forever to get in the game.
There's the online login and the cutscenes and the opening logos.

Then when you're in the game there's the helicopter transitioning which is so painfully slow.

Makes me not want to really play.

Psquit

Arcane
All the cucks in 4chan are sperging that Metal gear solid V is shit and the worst metal game ever made. Also is it true that the game has "micro-transactions"?

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
All the cucks in 4chan are sperging that Metal gear solid V is shit and the worst metal game ever made. Also is it true that the game has "micro-transactions"?

inconsequential micro-transactions IMO... from what i understand they mainly affect online play which isn't out until next year

i don't play metal gear for online play so I don't care

Jewnami gonna jew

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
inconsequential micro-transactions IMO... from what i understand they mainly affect online play which isn't out until next year

i don't play metal gear for online play so I don't care
Microtransaction will be for the PvP multiplayer, where you invade other player's bases. It works something like this: you can get a base for free and play with that, so you can play the PvP for free. But if you want to have several bases at several continents, you have to pay GMPs for them, which buy for money (for ridiculous prices). What I don't know is how important is to have several bases, or you can happily play PvP with just one base, for free.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having fun with this gaem but also had some CTDs regretfully...
Also poor thing.
I really enjoy the game. Stealth and combat is very fun, and I love how dynamic everything is. Especially the combat when shit hit the fan.

One thing I find kinda annoying though is the dog. Cool concept, and he is useful. But for some god damn reason he won't stay when I tell him to stay. So infiltration mission is impossible thanks to him. The guards keep noticing that random dog running around :)
Shame really because I want to bond with the dog, he is useful finding stuff.

I think DD starts to listen well after some bonding. Just take him to side op hunt with you or replay old missions with him.

Trotsky

Arcane
Whatever you do don't play Twin Snakes. Don't trust people that say you should play it. Fucking heretics.

I have to disagree Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes was a fantastic entry into the series. The updated gameplay and graphics were a massive improvement over the original which is frankly unplayable now. As someone who started the series with MGS2 I was very lucky that the first game got a remake when it did. It's a top five gamecube title.

mgsttsbox.jpg

^This! I don't get how people can like that abomination? Snake surfing on a rocket in midair? Acting like Neo from Matrix? Fuck that shit.

Some cutscenes are goofy but others are really well done and spice up the action. MGS is a universe with ninjas and vampires so lets not pretend a few mistakes are game breaking. It's too bad Twin Snakes never got a proper HD release. Some legal bullshit with Nintendo. It would have been a perfect package with Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater.

Last edited:

dunno lah

Arcane
Most All of the butthurt is because of the story, I believe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom