Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Deleted member 7219

I really like story and cutscenes when they are done well. Has MGS ever done those well?

What I want MGS V to be is to basically be like Hitman or Commandos. Plan your approach. Get rewarded for stealth. Get rewarded for doing extra stuff. Don't force the shooting.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
What I want MGS V to be is to basically be like Hitman or Commandos. Plan your approach. Get rewarded for stealth. Get rewarded for doing extra stuff. Don't force the shooting.

fudge stealth, i'm going in gunz blazin.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Crucial part of MGS has always been the over-the-top story and lengthy cutscenes. I'm not surprised that autistic codexers can only play the game for COMBATCOMBATCOMBAT.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really like story and cutscenes when they are done well. Has MGS ever done those well?

They're campy, but done really well. Really funny and memorable, though it does depend on your sense of humor.

Also it does that weird Japanese thing where it's funny for long stretches and then, after appropriate build-up and change of mood, pull out some really cool cinematic scene or well-orchestrated set-piece that's earnest and hard to forget. Great examples are the final fight and cutscenes in MSG4 or the ladder in 3, and it's extremely good final battle and ending. and the games do all that without ever not being inventive.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I always enjoyed MGS due to the story AND the stealth. Now Big Boss is some mute jackass who only talks during cassette tapes. At least you can fulton any guard you knock out and have a horse shit on your enemies face 10/10!!

One of the things that really breaks my "immersion" is not being able to salute your own soldiers. Apparently Big Boss is a dick who doesn't like to raise his right hand. Oh but at least you can beat their ass! Big Boss doesn't salute - he kicks ass. I'll show you what happens when you salute a superior officer!

Now these slack jawed faggots are making me go out and spend money to buy their game I'm trying not to like, when all I want is an erotica MGS pachinko machine.

User was nabbed fit

This looks almost as fun as the live ammo edition.

I still have MGS4, Revengeance and Ground Zeroes to play before this, so I'll probably pick this up in the Winter Sale or something...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Revengeance has nothing to do with the story so you can play that whenever you want, if that's the reason why you are waiting to play MGR before MGSV.

User was nabbed fit

Cool. Still, MGS4 has about 9 hours of cutscenes or something like that, right? :lol:

bonescraper

If you really want to prepare for TPP you should play Ground Zeroes and Peace Walker instead.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Kojima's rusing never ends. Now there's a day 1 patch coming for MGSV that changes the ending of the game.

giphy.gif

Should've seen that coming.

Martius

Liturgist
Are you sure its changing, not just unlocking? I heard something about two secret endings. One of the is supposed to be not available until official release.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well, unlock is the right term, but it does essentially "change" the ending. There's 3 endings now + the one that will get added day one.

Caim

Arcane
Hey, at least they have the courtesy to patch shit endings on day one instead of several months down the line like Bioware did.

Silva

Arcane
One of the things that really breaks my "immersion" is not being able to salute your own soldiers. Apparently Big Boss is a dick who doesn't like to raise his right hand. Oh but at least you can beat their ass! Big Boss doesn't salute - he kicks ass. I'll show you what happens when you salute a superior officer!
:lol:

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Well, unlock is the right term, but it does essentially "change" the ending. There's 3 endings now + the one that will get added day one.

How exactly will that work?

Just about every major plot detail has been leaked by now. Unless it radically changes things already known I don't really see the point. But I guessing the Hayter fans still have something to hope for.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How exactly will that work?

Just about every major plot detail have all been leaked by now. Unless it radically changes things already known I don't really see the point. But I guessing the Hayter fans still have something to hope for.

Uh, what? Obviously every major plot detail has not been leaked if they are adding a new ending to the game? From what I'm told they did the same thing with Peace Walker to avoid one of the endings from being spoiled.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Been dicking around in GZ to get hype for this week.

First, since I still had enemy icons off after checking for the option earlier in the thread, I've been having a great time. So that's an option I'd honestly recommend people try out, because when you have the alert indicators and reflex mode active it's honestly a bit distracting and extraneous.

Secondly, to whoever said that AI will make or break this game: it's quite a bit better on hard difficulty than on normal. I'm not sure how much TPP will change enemy behavior, but on hard in GZ they're sufficiently aware of their surroundings and cautious to provide challenging stealth gameplay. I'm still not very impressed with their behavior during firefights (lots of running toward you and firing while standing in the open), but maybe that's been altered.

Also still can't get the disarm move to work, but I guess that's pretty minor.

dunno lah

Arcane
Been dicking around in GZ to get hype for this week.

First, since I still had enemy icons off after checking for the option earlier in the thread, I've been having a great time. So that's an option I'd honestly recommend people try out, because when you have the alert indicators and reflex mode active it's honestly a bit distracting and extraneous.

Secondly, to whoever said that AI will make or break this game: it's quite a bit better on hard difficulty than on normal. I'm not sure how much TPP will change enemy behavior, but on hard in GZ they're sufficiently aware of their surroundings and cautious to provide challenging stealth gameplay. I'm still not very impressed with their behavior during firefights (lots of running toward you and firing while standing in the open), but maybe that's been altered.

Also still can't get the disarm move to work, but I guess that's pretty minor.

For disarming, press "attack" once then immediately hold "aim" right after.

As for AI, the game stealth design is still a little iffy in my opinion. I was really hoping the game would have a made more use of sound. As far as I can tell from GZ, different surfaces make no difference and enemies have awful detection of footstep noise even in comparison to older MGSes. I did read somewhere that much of the game's delay was for improving the enemies' AI, but I don't think AI and the way sound detection works in this game are the same thing. I just wish they had enemies behave a little more like in MGS2, with regard to tactics, and a waaaaaaaaaaaay longer "Caution" period. That would surely put this game far at the top.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I wonder how much this girl agreed to be being paid to be portrayed as a slutty princess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom