Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whatever you do don't play Twin Snakes. Don't trust people that say you should play it. Fucking heretics.
^This! I don't get how people can like that abomination? Snake surfing on a rocket in midair? Acting like Neo from Matrix? Fuck that shit.

If you don't like cinematic heavy storytelling, play MGS and skip the worthless story bits.
Or this, yeah.

DeepOcean

Arcane
^This! I don't get how people can like that abomination? Snake surfing on a rocket in midair? Acting like Neo from Matrix? Fuck that shit.

Or this, yeah.
I'm really not that into MGS, just watched from far away with mild interest and the whole series seems like some 24hs espionage movie with the traditional japanese stuff like ninjas, friendship and kawaii. I'm tolerant about corny stuff, if I wasn't, I wouldn't play videogames but how the over the top japanese corny stuff affect the story? I'm asking that because Phantom Pain seems to be interesting gameplay wise and I may buy it but you know japanese stuff... Is there some limit on the animu (long monologues about inner strengh and friendship for example) or the stuff is balls to the walls japanese nonsense? I just want the story to make sense, to be logical, event A lead to event B then event C happens.

I don't care about cyberninjas, horns, psychic powers and anus bombs, if there is some kind of logic to that madness, I won't have problems with it but is MGS like the other japanese stuff where the rule of cool rules the day and logic flies out of the window?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'm really not that into MGS, just watched from far away with mild interest and the whole series seems like some 24hs espionage movie with the traditional japanese stuff like ninjas, friendship and kawaii. I'm tolerant about corny stuff, if I wasn't, I wouldn't play videogames but how the over the top japanese corny stuff affect the story? I'm asking that because Phantom Pain seems to be interesting gameplay wise and I may buy it but you know japanese stuff... Is there some limit on the animu (long monologues about inner strengh and friendship for example) or the stuff is balls to the walls japanese nonsense? I just want the story to make sense, to be logical, event A lead to event B then event C happens.

I don't care about cyberninjas, horns, psychic powers and anus bombs, if there is some kind of logic to that madness, I won't have problems with it but is MGS like the other japanese stuff where the rule of cool rules the day and logic flies out of the window?
It's a weird mix between the two. The games are very grounded when it comes to the military stuff (Kojima is a die-hard military Otaku), but a lot of the mystical elements can get wacky. There are plenty of monologues, but they're usually centered around the core theme of the game and not generic animu stuff like the power of friendship (i.e. the nature of the cold war and 'picking sides' in MGS3). Think the best comparison I could make is with Ghost in the Shell: SAC, it's a fairly serious and grounded story with weird, wacky elements peppered throughout.

As for the story, as I said earlier, they make sense in each individual game, for the most part at least, but when it comes to the overarching story of the franchise it's a bit of a confused mess of retcons, bizarre plot twists, and NANOMACHINES.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The story in the latest one is supposed to be a bit sparse. That is somewhat disappointing to me.

Declinator

Arbiter
Think the best comparison I could make is with Ghost in the Shell: SAC, it's a fairly serious and grounded story with weird, wacky elements peppered throughout.

More like Gundam than Ghost in the Shell. Similar angst about war and similar level of maturity.

Puukko

Arcane
The characters are what makes MGS zany, above all. So I wouldn't say it's quite like GitS in that regard.

Machocruz

Arcane
^And that's what we mean when we say this game is thinking on a different level than the other AAA games. You won't see improvisation or multiple item function like this in F4llout.

Adon

Arcane
I like to pretend Twin Snakes is an exaggerated version that people hear instead of the actual version. But yeah, nobody should touch Twin Snakes with a 10-foot pole. Just play Ghost Babel, it's a far better game to waste your time on.

the only thing I wasn't clear on was why Ocelot was pretending to be possessed by Liquid?

we never did hear Cam Clarke in mgs4, a shame since it was nice to hear him in 2

That they retconned the possession out was pretty disappointing. Playing MGS3 and getting to meet Ocelot's poppa The Sorrow made the whole schtick easier to accept. I mean, if your dad was a powerful enough dude to hang around long, long after his death trolling people on both sides....yeah you're probably spiritually sensitive enough. And Liquid definitely considered his business unfinished.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
The script was datamined and I accidentally spoiled the game for me. What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Kojima, why? :negative:

I saw a load of that stuff back when the guide was leaked. But because the guide avoided outright spoilers I'm still praying a lot of what I saw was crap.

But one spoiler I saw on the MGS wiki made me feel a bit better.
They claim that Ocelot confirms Chico was killed in the helicopter crash. So at least I don't have to look at Quiet and silently pray anymore.

Adon

Arcane
Yeeeahhh, it's a bummer, not that I was expecting much given Kojima's last 2 outings. I'm in it for the gameplay, tho, so whatever.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
She maybe ain't no edith piaf but she is good and it holds significance for the game that she does her 'in-game' theme, and Mr Honda does great pieces.

Last edited:
I like how the most of reviewers point out the main 'flaw' of MGS5 - game is 'too much' focused on gameplay instead of story/cutscenes. It's fucking avesum that nearly 30-year old franchise ends up with propably the best game of all series:incline:

My favourite one so far was Peacewalker and TPP is a direrct spiritual sequel to it so I'm happy as pig in a shithouse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom