Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Aight, I'm abandoning thread until I get the game and finish it. I know this will sound really anal, but a review going on about "skullface's motivations are confusing" ends up feeling like a spoiler at this point. This is pretty much my most anticipated game... ever, so I'd rather not ruin anything for myself - even if it's just something silly like knowing ahead of time that Ishmael has a secret you uncover from the true ending. (I mean, if you knew that after the credits you found out a reveal about Ocelot in the original Metal Gear Solid - that would temper you to know there is something suspicious about Ocelot to think about)

Either way, I don't want to ruin what's in store with any more reveals.

See you all on the other side

134418906958.jpg

Echo Mirage

Arcane
the only thing I wasn't clear on was why Ocelot was pretending to be possessed by Liquid?

we never did hear Cam Clarke in mgs4, a shame since it was nice to hear him in 2

Something to do with tricking the patriots to buy himself more time. If Ocelot went rogue then they would react in some unforeseen way that Ocelot wouldn't be able to predict. But by the tricking them into believing Liquid has possessed him they were thrown into a loop of using the same means and method of dealing with him. By sending Solid snake. Only snake is in a poor state of health. And this only buys Ocelot more time to complete his plans.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Something to do with tricking the patriots to buy himself more time. If Ocelot went rogue then they would react in some unforeseen way that Ocelot wouldn't be able to predict. But by the tricking them into believing Liquid has possessed him they were thrown into a loop of using the same means and method of dealing with him. By sending Solid snake. Only snake is in a poor state of health. And this only buys Ocelot more time to complete his plans.
Really? In what game was this clarified? In MGS4? This is total news for me, I thought he really was possessed all the time. :D

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Pretending? Maybe my MGS lore is lacking after all these years, but I never thought he was just pretending. He WAS liquid.
It's infuriatingly unclear on Kojima's end, and ties back to my earlier statement about the weakness of the overarching story. The obvious meta reason is that it was a retcon, and that Ocelot really was supposed to have been possessed in MGS2. In regards to lore, Big Boss says that Ocelot was NOT, and never was, possessed by Liquid, but the MGS Database says that he was actually possessed, and later had his arm removed and replaced by a synthetic one because the Liquid was too much of a liability for his grand plan to keep around, and kept up the facade that he was possessed by Liquid to keep fooling The Patiots, which explains why he has an obviously synthetic arm during his final fight with Snake on top of Arsenal Gear and why there's emphasis on it during its reveal. This also fills up a meta-induced plot hole in the Japanese version of the game, where Ocelot is voiced by Liquid Snake's VA because Ocelot's original Seiyuu, Koji Totani, passed away before MGS4 entered production.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's infuriatingly unclear on Kojima's end, and ties back to my earlier statement about the weakness of the overarching story. The obvious meta reason is that it was a retcon, and that Ocelot really was supposed to have been possessed in MGS2. In regards to lore, Big Boss says that Ocelot was NOT, and never was, possessed by Liquid, but the MGS Database says that he was actually possessed, and later had his arm removed and replaced by a synthetic one because the Liquid was too much of a liability for his grand plan to keep around, and kept up the facade that he was possessed by Liquid to keep fooling The Patiots, which explains why he has an obviously synthetic arm during his final fight with Snake on top of Arsenal Gear and why there's emphasis on it during its reveal.
Ah, the wiki clarifies it a bit more:

Big Boss later revealed to Snake that Liquid "possessing" Ocelot was a planned ruse in order to fool the Patriots as means of lowering The Patriots' guard against him. Big Boss elaborated that Ocelot was able to use hypnosis, drugs, psychotherapy and nanomachines to transplant the personality of Liquid Snake onto himself.
So Ocelot was actually "possessed", but not by Liquid's arm. Ocelot did it to himself by drugs and hypnosis, to ruse the patriots.

Caim

Arcane
1: Did that trailer just hint at that Skullface is actually Big Boss, ala Fight Club? Or is that Decoy Octopus?
2: They made Metal Gear more humanoid... and of course it has a gun on its crotch.

Adon

Arcane
1: Did that trailer just hint at that Skullface is actually Big Boss, ala Fight Club? Or is that Decoy Octopus?
2: They made Metal Gear more humanoid... and of course it has a gun on its crotch.

It's Kojima dawg. Just look at the cockpits from ZoE.

Zone.of.the.Enders.full.186624.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
To be frank, Portable Ops started this "the past is more advanced than today's future" thing, and at first I was a bit bothered by it. But in the end, I just thought that MGS takes place in a paralell universe, which is very similar to ours, but technology is more capable.

Deakul

Augur
Meanwhile the current reviews are:

10/10
97/100
9.5/10
and 9/10

What a blunder!

Implying that reviews mean shit lol

Mother Base management is a chore apparently, the story took a backseat... real incline there! And microtransacations, whoa... this........is the next gen savior of.... GAMING!

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Came across some of the leaks that have been going around, and even as a lapsed fan, I didn't like what I was reading.

If you're invested in the overall narrative of the series, I'd suggest bracing yourself for retcon shenanigans that appears even worse than what MGS4 pulled with nanomachines.

I'm hoping context and execution will still salvage the narrative though. Good thing that the gameplay is shaping up to be something special, so I'd probably get over the narrative quickly if it does end up confirming my fears.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Okay, fuck.
I got back into Ground Zeroes. I only had to lower the game's mouse sensitivity to 0 and double my mouse's DPI to counteract the weirdass jerky mouse. At least it worked.

After going through the whole thing, Jesus Christ the AI is so retarded. It took them a while to notice me, sure, but they have no clue what they're doing. I got bored and went fights. In fight mode all they did was stand in the open or run straight toward me, excepting a handful of guys who were hundreds of feet away. When I killed off the local threats, everyone else went back to normal. I got on a nearby turret and murdered some dudes, then blew up an APC and some gigantic fuel tanks. Eventually I got a remark on the radio about gunfire from an unknown location.

I was willing to believe this wasn't going to be the prologue to a six-hour movie, which was apparently what the last MGS game was like, but then I got to that fucking ending. There was an entire firefight that happened in a cutscene. There was absolutely no player input in this firefight. It was one ten-minute cutscene or whatever. Have fun with your fucking shakycam B-movie.

omega21

Arcane
That's because it was a poorly thought-out effort to recoup costs by Konami, and also showcase the tech and build up hype. Not surprised that everything about GZ was lacking when I consider that.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
If you don't like cinematic heavy storytelling, play MGS and skip the worthless story bits.

Whatever you do don't play Twin Snakes. Don't trust people that say you should play it. Fucking heretics.

That's because it was a poorly thought-out effort to recoup costs by Konami, and also showcase the tech and build up hype. Not surprised that everything about GZ was lacking when I consider that.

Ground Zeroes should have been a cutscene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom