Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Caim

Arcane
Unnecessary pvp bullshit in a single-player game is hidden behind a paywall.

I do not see how or why this is a bad thing.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
It was already explained that the "mother base coins" can be earned in-game. The real question is how many you need to design a decent FOB, and how long that would take through natural progression. Either way, Gamespot's little article there is pretty silly "guys we gave this game a 10, it's a fucking masterpiece, but there is an unknown microtransaction system!!!!"

We'll wait and see. There is a chance that the PVP will indeed be garbage due to this, which would suck; but like Caim said, PVP in a game like this isn't the point.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Just read in one of reviews that the guy finished the main campaign in 40 hours with only 40 % side missions.

Machocruz

Arcane
Supposedly lethality doesn't keep you from attaining the highest rank, but going full popamole will probably make it near impossible to get it. Fucking finally. It's like the universe decided it was time to give me the MG game I always wanted.

Caim

Arcane
Supposedly lethality doesn't keep you from attaining the highest rank, but going full popamole will probably make it near impossible to get it. Fucking finally. It's like the universe decided it was time to give me the MG game I always wanted.
Excellent. It's sad that to get the highest ranks you need to go no-kill, ruling out most of the useful weapons you get in the game. Sure, you can still go no-kill for the challenge, but it's a lot more fun this way.

34scell

Augur

Well that is how it works in GZ. You can make up the points by finishing the mission quicker or doing other stuff.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Unnecessary pvp bullshit in a single-player game is hidden behind a paywall.

I do not see how or why this is a bad thing.
The PvP looks great.

Because it's an indicator that there isn't anything glaringly wrong with the game.
fallout3.png

:troll:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
fallout3.png

:troll:

Yeah, I'm well aware. That said, even you have to admit that if a game with a history like MGSV is receiving 10's, and an overall score similar to MGS1-4, then that is a good sign that we're going to receive a similarly quality experience.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Read somewhere that you have to play earlier missions on a higher difficulty to unlock the ending? Sounds fucking stupid.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Read somewhere that you have to play earlier missions on a higher difficulty to unlock the ending? Sounds fucking stupid.

From what I read you need to jump through some hoops to unlock a bonus mission
that deals with the true identity of Ishmael.
Or perhaps its a true ending. No one really knows at this point.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Wait, hold on.

The multiplayer thing is proxy battles without meaning or big outcome, fought for the sake of fighting and profit that flows to a select group while all other people stuck in the middle become poor and lose what they have built.

It's a war economy. Hideo Kojima, you sly motherfucker.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Konami denies:

Gamespot posted an article following the review that the PVP (FOB) mode in MGSV TPP will be restricted behind a micro-transaction paywall and that is simply not true. The FOB mode will be fully accessible at launch and the micro-transaction layer to that specific feature in the game primarily acts as an accelerator. We’ll have more details at launch, but we did try and clear these rumours up when they started circulating during E3. We even addressed this in our official E3 2015 demo when it went live during that show.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
pls don't mention potentially large spoilers like that - or use the spoiler tags

I have no idea if its true or not. Most of the spoilers I read were either 4chan speculation (Or trolling)based on an obtuse game guide. Or it was stuff that I outright refuse to believe is true to the point of denial. But point taken.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Somehow this game is both the final hurrah of non-cancer tier console games, as well as helping to usher in the new era of "pay us more to unlock FUN" bullshit.

Such dark times ahead.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

I don't know which version it is, but the textures are a lot worse than what were they showing.

66arndx.png

Sothpaw

Learned
I kinda want to get but Kojima is such an anti-Amiercan/Western, Che Guevarra cock sucking piece of shit that I just can't do it.

Until it is $9.99 on Steam someday. :kwafuckyeah:

The "lowest" scores yet are from Italian reviews.

Some translated quotes from here because I like to throw sand on hype fires:

[Bosses are] a true disappointment... no battle is truly exciting... the only challenge is given by numerical superiority and exorbitant resistance... the contest with <"spoiler" redacted> is solved artlessly by missile barrages...
...Another sore point is the story... the problem isn't the incomprehensible narrative, but the weirdness of the tale... full of leaks [as it is]... The impression is that Kojima at some point decided to throw [everything] to the winds, gearing up for a finale which is almost a middle finger to the player, leading one to question the point of some villains, like Skullface, whose impact is so limited as to be irrelevant...
[Skullface is] moved by motivations so weak and unconvincing as to be bewildering...
...Textures aren't really the epitome of sharpness, which can also be said of shadows...
...The Phantom Pain is full of contradictions. On one hand, it offers truly extraordinary, multifaceted gameplay; on the other, slips right where it comes to the series' cornerstones, throwing away a potentially groundbreaking plot... leaving 95% of explanations to the finale. Boss battles are indefensible in their disconcerting banality...
...something was lost along the way and longtime fans will struggle to come to terms with it. There is no getting around it, Hideo Kojima is the man who sold the world...

8.9/10

Yes I preordered it.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
the only thing I wasn't clear on was why Ocelot was pretending to be possessed by Liquid?

we never did hear Cam Clarke in mgs4, a shame since it was nice to hear him in 2

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
the only thing I wasn't clear on was why Ocelot was pretending to be possessed by Liquid?
Pretending? Maybe my MGS lore is lacking after all these years, but I never thought he was just pretending. He WAS liquid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom