Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Phage And now they're giving you crazy gun customization AND A fucking mech with guns on it. But don't use them if you want to play the "right" way. Wtf?

We'll have to see how it plays out. In GZ you lost 500 points off your final score for everyone you killed. Would suck if you're discouraged from using those fun tools though - one of the problems Dishonored had.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Honestly, I was going to write on how the game doesn't really actively punish you in any way for going around with all the fancy weapons and killing people. But I didn't like what I was writing.

The simple thing about these games is that you can go about these games any way you like. Like, even if you assume from some perspective that the amount of guns you get between MGS3 and 4 are just Kojima going "YOU WANT A FUCKING ACTION GAME!? HERE'S YOUR FUCKING GUNS!", there's still a good deal of weapons at your disposal.

Like for me, MGS3 was sort of my first Metal Gear Solid. Sort of, because MGS on the PC came before it honestly but as the years go by I find myself less fond of that memory.

Anyways, when I played Snake Eater, I really didn't care if I got caught or not. All that meant was that I needed to get away by any means possible. And what means possible did I have? A great assortment of guns, that is what. So I had soldiers coming at me as I threw WP Grenades at them and killing what other soldier I could with a gun. And I had a lot of fun, fuck the scoring system, that thing is arbitrary as all fuck.

Sure in later years I became a little more anal about stealth, but that's because I actually began taking a pleasure in it. Where initially in Snake Eater, I was shooting Russians in the head with an M1911, I was now trying to find my way around enemies without having to tranq them. Though these days, I have to remind myself to actually have fun with the game I am playing and not be so anal about the fact I got caught. If I get caught, then I very well better be prepared to fight like a man rather than running like a foolish coward.

Also yes, I killed Raikov. My memory is fuzzy, but I assume I either slit his throat or shot him in the balls, because by that point in the game I realized that you could shoot soldiers and SCIENTISTS in the nuts and they would react accordingly. Was very satisfying to see this in The Sorrow sequence.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Double post, but fuck you.

So here's a heads up: NewEgg is going to be doing a promotional in the future where you can buy any NVIDIA card and get MGS5:TPP with it. AND if you have an unused Arkham Knight code, you can trade it out with a rep when the time comes.

Proof here

dunno lah

Arcane
Tranq guns are indeed pretty ridiculous, especially in 2. I do think that European Extreme difficulty would curtail some of your issues - granted the, well, extreme difficulty can make things fairly tedious in practice (or thrilling, depending on what you enjoy in games)

Playing on EE makes the game more interesting in general, but I still have the problem that attaining the highest rank requires a non lethal approach. Unlike Thief, the stealth aspect and level design just aren't well developed enough to make that compelling. Plus it seems like a waste of all the weapons they give you, especially in 4. I'd rather have it that you can attain the highest rank as long as you get no alert, regardless of whether you killed anyone or not. Make up for it by dead bodies triggering alert if spotted.

Don't get me wrong, the good thing about these games is the multiple ways you can do things, I just don't like the feeling of being "penalized" for using all the tools they give me. They should at least allow lethality against bosses.

MGS5's scoring system now does allow you to get s ranks even through lethal force. However, I still enjoy pure ghost runs more.

z18409426Q,MGS-V--The-Phantom-Pain.jpg

So now gore is a sort of censorship that prevents exposing nudity, I'm ok with that.

A horse of course

If the butterface titty monster turns out NOT to be Chico, I might get it in a sale.

Puukko

Arcane
I just remembered that I told myself I'd play through 1, Policenauts and Snatcher before MGSV comes out, and this was a year ago. Should get started on that.

Caim

Arcane
Ya know what, all this talk of taking away people's tongues and such really puts the decision to replace David Hayter as Snake's voice actor in a new light.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
More insight into Kojima v Konami:

Daley: "The main reason for the falling out, at least in her opinion, is that Kojima gets paid a salary, and doesn't make any profit share on the game. He gets paid a certain amount no matter what, and he was spending so much money and delaying the project, and adding all these features and making sure the game was the biggest and best thing it could be, and Konami was unhappy with that because [delaying] has no effect on him. He was spending the budget on this and that and upgrading the Fox Engine and then delaying further because the engine wasn't ready, and Konami wasn't happy with that because he gets his salary and he takes a more traditional "Japanese man" approach by not taking a profit share. So in doing that, he gets a little more than a game creator would but doesn't take bonuses from the game selling well."

Yong: "So you're telling me that Kojima wanting to make the game the best it can be is what started the conflict?"

Daley: Yes. In her eyes, Kojima's a fantastic creator, and probably the best creator of his time, but he doesn't have a strong business sense like Konami would like him to have. Where instead of, for example, cutting corners by lowering foliage resolution, he wants to make sure everything looks as good and polished as possible. She said they paid for her to write 30-40 songs that ended up not being used, and he'd tell her to write another one, then another one, then another one, because he settles for what he likes and has a good mind for what people want to see and what people want to hear. (Amen on that, yo: Avirdi's personal addition).

(source is this video if you care, but it's p. long and I don't really recommend it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Dtr6SuKB0 )

Fellow men who possess a high enough intellect to appreciate MGS (like J_C ) brace yourselves. This will literally and actually be the last huge budget game for the foreseeable future with this level of attention to detail and director's passion towards making everything perfect. All of the drooling morons who couldn't fathom the difference between the serious and non-serious elements in the older games, or can't handle the thought of the game running at 58FPS on their dated hardware are left behind. MGSV truly will be the end of vidya. After we finish it we can all be free and move on to more productive things!

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
More insight into Kojima v Konami:

Daley: "The main reason for the falling out, at least in her opinion, is that Kojima gets paid a salary, and doesn't make any profit share on the game. He gets paid a certain amount no matter what, and he was spending so much money and delaying the project, and adding all these features and making sure the game was the biggest and best thing it could be, and Konami was unhappy with that because [delaying] has no effect on him. He was spending the budget on this and that and upgrading the Fox Engine and then delaying further because the engine wasn't ready, and Konami wasn't happy with that because he gets his salary and he takes a more traditional "Japanese man" approach by not taking a profit share. So in doing that, he gets a little more than a game creator would but doesn't take bonuses from the game selling well."

Yong: "So you're telling me that Kojima wanting to make the game the best it can be is what started the conflict?"

Daley: Yes. In her eyes, Kojima's a fantastic creator, and probably the best creator of his time, but he doesn't have a strong business sense like Konami would like him to have. Where instead of, for example, cutting corners by lowering foliage resolution, he wants to make sure everything looks as good and polished as possible. She said they paid for her to write 30-40 songs that ended up not being used, and he'd tell her to write another one, then another one, then another one, because he settles for what he likes and has a good mind for what people want to see and what people want to hear. (Amen on that, yo: Avirdi's personal addition).

(source is this video if you care, but it's p. long and I don't really recommend it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Dtr6SuKB0 )

Fellow men who possess a high enough intellect too appreciate MGS (like J_C ) brace yourselves. This will literally and actually be the last huge budget game for the foreseeable future with this level of attention to detail and director's passion towards making everything perfect. All of the drooling morons who couldn't fathom the difference between the serious and non-serious elements in the older games, or can't handle the thought of the game running at 58FPS on their dated hardware are left behind. MGSV truly will be the end of vidya. After we finish it we can all be free and move on to more productive things!
Thankfully this game is looking to be amazing, a proper farewell to Kojima and the MGS games we associate with him.

Caim

Arcane
Ah yes, the management problem of dealing with creative people.

When dealing with regular production processes it's all about spending as little money as possible to get as much product as possible. But when you're dealing with creative individuals, for whom it is next to impossible to define when a product is 100% complete (in games this can be anything from a dust effect, bushes, voice acting and so on) this becomes very difficult. And when you have someone who'd eagerly spend who knows how much money on a song or something that might very well not be used, or spend time on making the game run at 0,5FPS faster on average... well, a manager trained in Lean will start to scream about waste like he's Dio fucking Brando.

On the other hand, sometimes you need a tight leash because otherwise people will waste money left and right without getting anything done. Case in point: Tim Schafer. It's a difficult thing to manage.

dunno lah

Arcane
Oh shit! No more Rika Muranaka? She was quite the veteran composer at Konami, right? Damn...MGS1 and MGS2 end themes are amazing.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's pretty funny considering Kojima wanted to ditch the series after Sons of Liberty, but especially didn't want to make Guns of the Patriots, and only did so thanks to cajoling by the fans and his bosses. Now that the guy is really passionate about making the Phantom Pain, Konami is suddenly trying to rush him and force him out of the company. So which is it? Do they want the man to keep making these games or not? Don't make the guy dedicate his career to one game series and then get pissy when he wants to make them on his own terms.

After TPP is out I hope Konami goes bankrupt hunting the white whale that is the mobile market.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
It's pretty funny considering Kojima wanted to ditch the series after Sons of Liberty, but especially didn't want to make Guns of the Patriots, and only did so thanks to cajoling by the fans and his bosses. Now that the guy is really passionate about making the Phantom Pain, Konami is suddenly trying to rush him and force him out of the company. So which is it? Do they want the man to keep making these games or not? Don't make the guy dedicate his career to one game series and then get pissy when he wants to make them on his own terms.

After TPP is out I hope Konami goes bankrupt hunting the white whale that is the mobile market.

They aren't going bankrupt anytime soon. They're just transitioning from traditional video games towards Pachinko, Health/Fitness/Spa, general electronics and mobile. Traditional video games are becoming less popular by the year in Japan, and Konami, like many Japanese companies is too nearsighted to realize that Japan is a tiny economy compared to Godmerica + Europe. Shit sucks but whatever. Del Taco said that he's working with Kojima on a new project anyways.

Machocruz

Arcane
Fellow men who possess a high enough intellect to appreciate MGS (like J_C ) brace yourselves. This will literally and actually be the last huge budget game for the foreseeable future with this level of attention to detail and director's passion towards making everything perfect. All of the drooling morons who couldn't fathom the difference between the serious and non-serious elements in the older games, or can't handle the thought of the game running at 58FPS on their dated hardware are left behind. MGSV truly will be the end of vidya. After we finish it we can all be free and move on to more productive things!

It will be the last huge budget game, period. It will be hiking sims and cinemajesty from here on.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Great designers show that budgetary constraint and creative mastery are not opposites. It takes skill, foresight, experience and humbleness to get it done. Kojima, for all I love this gorgeous bastard, lacks the last virtue.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Sure, Kojima isn't particularly humble, but he does take his lumps with stride. I think it's fairly ridiculous to presume that MGSV isn't going to turn a huge profit, like every other MGS. The games print money, even if they have big budgets. I think this is a matter of Konami not understanding why Kojima insists on perfecting things. They want him to just ship a product out ASAP - which is pretty evident since they forced him into selling the prologue of the game as Ground Zeroes.

This is a much different situation than, say, Tim Schafer going way overbudget for his wacky, unproven pet projects like Brutal Legend.

It's fairly easy to project what MGS5 should be selling, all things considered equal - roughly 6 million like the rest of the series.

This is more analgous to "This game is going to generate 200 million dollars of revenue, why are you spending 50 million dollars developing it instead of 25?" (those numbers are entirely made up for this example)

Cadmus

Arcane
Kojima is great, he actually directs his games and you can feel his touch everywhere. I can't recall other directors like this.

The Bootymancer

Learned
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will actually be the last video game, period. Why would we need to develop any others once it is upon us? There will be no more consoles, no need to upgrade our PCs, no game but Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will be sold on Steam. Nintendo's upcoming NX console is being created exclusively to run Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, and nothing else.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
tumblr_nrzwbyzLfY1uxs3r4o1_500.png

tumblr_nrzwbyzLfY1uxs3r4o2_1280.png

tumblr_nrzwbyzLfY1uxs3r4o3_500.png

tumblr_nrzwbyzLfY1uxs3r4o4_500.jpg

30 days out now. My body is ready and my snake is solid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom