Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
When MGSV is released it'll be revealed that all along Alfons was my sockpuppet who says ridiculous things to make me look like a genius and harvest those sweet, sweet brofists.

:smug:

Alfons

Prophet
:lol:
Argumentation Phage style.
When confronted with your own retardation you should do one or more of the following things:
1) Change the subject.
2) Argue against something that was never said.
3) Say you're out and keep going.
4) Make a "witty" remark.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Hell, if it is, who give a shit. Am I right?
:salute:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Argumentatio shitposting and baiting Alfons style.
1.) Enter a thread for a series you've never played and make sweeping statements based off of limited context
2.) Glaze over posts that address everything you've brought up, offering nothing in return other than a vague general feeling
3.) Spaz out, claim people are 'moving goal posts' and post a youtube video to a spanish soap opera
4.) Hurl ad hominems and deny reality despite written proof

Alfons

Prophet
Arguming with a retard( Phage ) shitposting and baiting Alfons style.
1.) Enter a thread for a series you've never played and make sweeping statements based off of limited context about the plot that is told through cutscenes.
2.) Glaze over posts that address everything you've brought up, offering nothing in return other than a vague general feeling things you never even stated.
3.) Spaz out, claim call out people who are moving goal posts and post a youtube video to a spanish soap opera with the same caliber of performances as the discussed series.
4.) Hurl ad hominems and deny reality despite written proof Tell the retard he's retarded.

There, fixed it for you.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
In favor of MGS4 though :

op8tmv.jpg

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Yeah man, the levels in MGS4 are actually pretty fun (except for the one where you have to follow the resistance leader). Some of the cutscenes are also so ridiculous that you can't help but laugh "I AM FAGGOT LIGHTNING THE RAIN TRANSFORMED!" plus dat final boss. It's shame that it missed the mark on so many other things.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I greatly exceed the minimum specifications, but even on the lowest settings the game runs like ass.
Shitty PC is shitty.
Menus don't use the mouse cursor.
True, but meh.
The flashlight and suppressor key binds are fake.I can safely say that you are lying because I played the game like 2 weeks ago and the keys are working. They are the X and Y buttons on the controller, so they are by default bound to the X and Y keys. As I understand, they can't be rebound even though they appear to be in the menu. You also have to hold down a button to open one of the retarded gamepad menus before the keys actually do anything, and this isn't explained anywhere in-game. I quit before I tested the specifics of this because it was such a bad experience.
You have to hold a button to bring up a menu. Oh the horror. !!!!!!! It is not explained in the game, but anyone with a higher IQ than 90 can figure it out.
I have an HD 7870 with 2GB of VRAM and I think the processor is an AMD FX 8350, though I can't remember off the top of my head. It runs most contemporary games just fine. The game doesn't even look that good, especially since most of the effects like AO and lens flares are so overbearing.

I can't remember the menu that I had to bring up, but I think it was just a weapon selection menu, something that is easily bypassed with mouse and keyboard. I didn't ever bring this menu up before I just started trying all the buttons to see if anything worked. Even then, my custom. Keybinds. Didn't. Fucking. Work. This is a huge fuckup on the part of the developers.

Machocruz

Arcane
The 'stealth through a battlefield' concept in MGS4 looked good on paper, but in execution it was rather 'stealth around a battlefield.' skirting the edge of the maps in a lot of cases, with the only objective being to get to the other side. Had the game mandatory objectives that forced you into the interior and interact with the chaos while remaining undetected, it would have been more interesting.

I've realized I'm not a fan of how these games, since MGS2, are designed around use of the tranq gun and abundance of resources. Now when I play, I place arbitrary limits on myself, like only 10 tranq rounds per game and a few clips of lethal ammo outside of boss fights. I think the tranq gun also enables simplistic level design, or the simplistic level design necessitates such a tool since you are often given limited ways to hide or circumvent sentries. Then again, Kojima calls these games "stealth action," so maybe I shouldn't expect anything more. It just makes me wish someone would make a military espionage sim, but with style and "cool guy" characters like MGS.

P.S. I don't think the stealth play/level design in these games is developed enough to make Foxhound/Big Boss rank runs interesting unless you find crazy exploits like the top runners do, which takes a load of research and experimentation. Would rather blow some motherfuckers up than crawl around tranqing them.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Those are all very fair points Machocruz

As for your first point, I think that Ground Zeroes directly addresses it since you have to extract two separate characters (plus you can extract bonus prisoners) - but yeah, that was definitely a weakness of 4.

Tranq guns are indeed pretty ridiculous, especially in 2. I do think that European Extreme difficulty would curtail some of your issues - granted the, well, extreme difficulty can make things fairly tedious in practice (or thrilling, depending on what you enjoy in games)

Good post men :salute:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I greatly exceed the minimum specifications, but even on the lowest settings the game runs like ass.
Shitty PC is shitty.
True, but meh.
The flashlight and suppressor key binds are fake.I can safely say that you are lying because I played the game like 2 weeks ago and the keys are working. They are the X and Y buttons on the controller, so they are by default bound to the X and Y keys. As I understand, they can't be rebound even though they appear to be in the menu. You also have to hold down a button to open one of the retarded gamepad menus before the keys actually do anything, and this isn't explained anywhere in-game. I quit before I tested the specifics of this because it was such a bad experience.
You have to hold a button to bring up a menu. Oh the horror. !!!!!!! It is not explained in the game, but anyone with a higher IQ than 90 can figure it out.
I have an HD 7870 with 2GB of VRAM and I think the processor is an AMD FX 8350, though I can't remember off the top of my head. It runs most contemporary games just fine. The game doesn't even look that good, especially since most of the effects like AO and lens flares are so overbearing.

I can't remember the menu that I had to bring up, but I think it was just a weapon selection menu, something that is easily bypassed with mouse and keyboard. I didn't ever bring this menu up before I just started trying all the buttons to see if anything worked. Even then, my custom. Keybinds. Didn't. Fucking. Work. This is a huge fuckup on the part of the developers.

Yeah, you're above the minumum specs, but you're not really close to recommended. That's why the game dips to 30 FPS (especially since you kept on the performance heavy graphics effects it seems). The fact that the game ran as well as it did on those specs is a testament to how great of a port GZ is performance wise.

Considering you are well below the recommended specs, not too sure why you had AO and lens flare on at all (they're toggleable). You did go through the graphics option menu, right? If you didn't, the game likely set you to last-gen console specs after detecting your hardware. With that said, I'm going to go ahead and argue that the game looks pretty good. This is obviously extremely subjective, but if you compare MGSV to other titles that have come out in the past few years, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a tremendous number of better looking titles; Especially when you take into account that you can turn off the effects you find displeasing.

I can't comment on your control issue. I did a playthrough with K + M with zero problems or quirks at all - granted I found the default binding logical enough that I had no reason to change it. After that I played with controller, which is, as to be expected, a much nicer experience since it's a third person title.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I ran the game with 8GB Ram, ATI HD 6870, AMD Phenom II X4 with almost all settings high (without AA), and had 40-50 fps. People should really learn how to set up a rig and the game. /thread

K and M is smooth if you put 1 minute effort to learn the controls.

Kids these days want to be spoonfed with everything. :P

Adon

Arcane
Yeah man, the levels in MGS4 are actually pretty fun (except for the one where you have to follow the resistance leader). Some of the cutscenes are also so ridiculous that you can't help but laugh "I AM FAGGOT LIGHTNING THE RAIN TRANSFORMED!" plus dat final boss. It's shame that it missed the mark on so many other things.

I've always seen people dig the final boss, but having played too many fighting games, it just ends up coming across as a shitty 3D fighter to me. I would've been okay with the whole thing just being a cutscene.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Shitty PC is shitty.
True, but meh.

Yeah, you're above the minumum specs, but you're not really close to recommended. That's why the game dips to 30 FPS (especially since you kept on the performance heavy graphics effects it seems). The fact that the game ran as well as it did on those specs is a testament to how great of a port GZ is performance wise.

Considering you are well below the recommended specs, not too sure why you had AO and lens flare on at all (they're toggleable). You did go through the graphics option menu, right? If you didn't, the game likely set you to last-gen console specs after detecting your hardware. With that said, I'm going to go ahead and argue that the game looks pretty good. This is obviously extremely subjective, but if you compare MGSV to other titles that have come out in the past few years, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a tremendous number of better looking titles; Especially when you take into account that you can turn off the effects you find displeasing.

I can't comment on your control issue. I did a playthrough with K + M with zero problems or quirks at all - granted I found the default binding logical enough that I had no reason to change it. After that I played with controller, which is, as to be expected, a much nicer experience since it's a third person title.
Hey you fucking genius, maybe keep in mind that I said I was getting big performance dips on the lowest settings? Of course I went through the graphics settings. It's a PC port. It should have settings that do something, optimization for PC hardware that works, and controls that can fucking be remapped. It actually ran only slightly worse on the highest settings, so I was able to see all the awful effects for myself before turning everything off and seeing that the game still gave me bad performance issues.

I don't see why using a controller would make the experience nicer, since it has freelook and a lot of aiming. KBM or bust in freelook games.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
sexbad? , thanks for complimenting my 1 million IQ level. That said, I did make the error of forgetting you said minimum settings 2 posts ago, regrettable, I know. Again, as stated by myself and numerous others earlier in this thread alongside articles/message boards worldwide, your performance woes are extremely uncommon. Regardless, you shouldn't be expecting consistent 60 FPS with your hardware. When using extremely dated hardware on a modern title, you are going to likely be subject to playing at 30+ FPS.

As I've said numerous times, yes, the controls should be remappable. I'm not too sure why you're so upset that I'm agreeing with you on that point.

I'm also not entirely sure what you mean by 'freelook'. If you're referring to the ability to move the camera, well, by that logic you'd rather use K + M for almost every third person out there. Really can't find myself agreeing with that, but to each their own. Unless you are playing lethally, there is very little aiming to be done in GZ aside from the occasional tranq shot, and the game accommodates aiming with sticks very well.

Ultimately I am unsure of what point you are trying to make. Yes, the game should have rebindable keys inside of the menus. Other than that, you are in a vast minority regarding the performance woes you speak of... and to be honest it sounds like you're idea of "terrible performance" means the game runs at 40 FPS on hardware that's appropriately powerful for 40 FPS. I don't think the lack of native key rebinding is enough to write off a game entirely, but my priorities likely lie in other areas than yours.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
But my hardware isn't extremely dated. It still surpasses the newest generation of consoles in terms of performance for most games, and the same game is available on the previous generation too. The graphics card is 3 years old and still powerful.

Free look does indeed mean the ability to move the camera as I please. Using a mouse is significantly easier, more efficient, and more accurate than using a stick that relies on thumb nudging to determine direction. KBM also allows easier navigation of any menu, even the sort designed for console games, unless the menus are specifically designed to use the radial movement of analogue sticks, or they're just incompetently ported.

Declinator

Arbiter
Why would the controller be better for third-person games anyway? I understand why when it comes to games that need accurate movement in a direction different than where the camera is pointing (e.g. Dark Souls) or games where you don't have free look (e.g. DMC3) but I see little reason for using a controller in games like GZ or Hitman for example.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
sexbad? What games do you outperform the PS4 in? After thinking about it a bit more, I am actually very surprised you can't maintain a consistent 60 FPS in GZ. I know for a fact a combination of i5 2400 and a GTX 770 reportedly gives a consistent 60 FPS throughout the game. I used an R9280x and a i5 4690 and maintained 60 with negligible dips (down to 55 for short spurts during heavy action) at max settings. There may be something going on that you should check out! Or it could just be your AMD CPU.

Declinator fits into the next point as well:

You will have more precise control over the character with an analog stick. It's not a necessity, and as I stated before the game ran extremely well with keyboard + mouse. Since the game easily accommodates the very small amount of aiming you have to do for analogue sticks, there's very little advantage to keyboard + mouse. You're right though that in GZ it's a matter of preference - I just prefer third person games on a controller unless there's a ridiculous amount of shootan'.

Machocruz

Arcane
Tranq guns are indeed pretty ridiculous, especially in 2. I do think that European Extreme difficulty would curtail some of your issues - granted the, well, extreme difficulty can make things fairly tedious in practice (or thrilling, depending on what you enjoy in games)

Playing on EE makes the game more interesting in general, but I still have the problem that attaining the highest rank requires a non lethal approach. Unlike Thief, the stealth aspect and level design just aren't well developed enough to make that compelling. Plus it seems like a waste of all the weapons they give you, especially in 4. I'd rather have it that you can attain the highest rank as long as you get no alert, regardless of whether you killed anyone or not. Make up for it by dead bodies triggering alert if spotted.

Don't get me wrong, the good thing about these games is the multiple ways you can do things, I just don't like the feeling of being "penalized" for using all the tools they give me. They should at least allow lethality against bosses.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Agreed Machocruz . I wonder how MGSV will handle things. If GZ is any indication, you will be encouraged to go non-lethally again. On the plus side, I feel that the stealth aspect and level design will be the strongest in the series yet, presuming GZ is a valid indicator.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
"Honestly, I think Ground Zeroes was the best game I played this year" - Agent Orange, CDS chat, December 2014.

Machocruz

Arcane
Phage And now they're giving you crazy gun customization AND A fucking mech with guns on it. But don't use them if you want to play the "right" way. Wtf?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom