Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Bigg Boss

Arcane
They are burning every bridge from Japan to the United States.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
let's not forget that the future of the world presented by MGS has the president of the united states fighting a cyborg ninja on top of a destroyed giant robot.

And this alone proves why MGS is the best series on the face of the world. Like...ever.
Nah. Any funny self-awareness it does have is ruined by the hours, hours of overly serious, retarded, soap opera quality writing. They use all the dumb shit angles, all they need is a 20 minute cutscene of snake moping around that his daddy didn't love him.

1. That's a US Senator, not the President.
2. That senator could break the president in two with his bare hands!
3. If you can't distinguish the obscenely obvious camp elements in MGR (which are even more blatant than the camp elements in the MGS games) then you are actually mentally hindered. As such I apologize you are stuck with this lot in life and hope you can derive entertainment from shit like the Arkham games or whatever it is you can understand.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
It seems Konami deleted any Kojima reference from the (ps4) MGS5 artwork...

yfw the plot of MGSV is secretly Kojima's fued with Konami.

"His country, his family, his face, his identity, everything was stolen from him."

"A visionary robbed of his future."

He was telling us all along!

dunno lah

Arcane
I'm reading that now. Interesting stuff. I wasn't aware of that writer contributing to the first three MGS games. Where did Fukushima go after he left?

That's a good question but the answers are hard to find. The Metal Gear wiki proves Fukushima's credentials so I'm not sure why Kojima gets all the credit for the series.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Tomokazu_Fukushima
Isn't that how things work? People only care about the "frontman".

Adon

Arcane
It's a shame he left or was fired or w/e happened. Ghost Babel is one of the best, if not the best, Metal Gear story. After playing that it's easy to see how big and more interesting his contributions were to the series and to the writing. Funnily enough my favorite games in the series are the ones where Kojima was barely involved -- Ghost Babel and MGA2.

That said, MGSV looks promising, but after 3 games without Fukushima, I'm doubtful that Kojima will do it right. Good thing the gameplay looks like it'll make up for it.

Alfons

Prophet
If you can't distinguish the obscenely obvious camp elements in MGR (which are even more blatant than the camp elements in the MGS games) then you are actually mentally hindered.
Fuck you, you fucking fanboy. Camp or no it's fucking canon so you can shove your cherrypicking up your ass. Point is, that camp is all MGS should have, any degree of seriousness it tries to have comes out as more retarded than the campy elements.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
If you can't distinguish the obscenely obvious camp elements in MGR (which are even more blatant than the camp elements in the MGS games) then you are actually mentally hindered.
Fuck you, you fucking fanboy. Camp or no it's fucking canon so you can shove your cherrypicking up your ass. Point is, that camp is all MGS should have, any degree of seriousness it tries to have comes out as more retarded than the campy elements.

So basically you're too autistic to comprehend that nothing in MGR was serious. Like at all. That's the entire point. Raiden is now the exact opposite of what he was in MGS2. He's now on the other side of the edgelord spectrum. The game is entirely self aware of this. Apparently you were not.

I'm presuming that you've only played (well, probably youtubed) MGR and are going to pretend you have knowledge of the rest of the series. If you're going to straight-faced tell me that things like MGS3's final 30 minutes, Snake's speech at the end of MGS2 and with the proper context, the final boss of MGS4 "come out as more retarded than any campy elements" well, I honestly feel really bad for you. Like, it has to be really tough to go through life being this mentally brain damaged, unable to enjoy things that anyone with a 90+ IQ can.

You have my condolences.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
I have to say that reading about meta-context of MGS 2 & 4, VR theory in MGS 2 and general connections between Kojima's experiences and stories that he produced, made me really curious to check MGS 2 (i don't have access to PS3, so i can't check 3 and 4). Is the port of the second one playable on the modern systems? Anyone knows?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The HD collection version of MGS2 on 360/PS3 is pretty much the definitive version (unless you really care about lolskateboarding). They actually did a top notch job upscaling MGS2/3.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I have to say that reading about meta-context of MGS 2 & 4, VR theory in MGS 2 and general connections between Kojima's experiences and stories that he produced, made me really curious to check MGS 2 (i don't have access to PS3, so i can't check 3 and 4). Is the port of the second one playable on the modern systems? Anyone knows?
Play Metal Gear Solid 1 first, otherwise most of the plot and alot of the commentary will go over your head. As far as I know that game's port was really good.

Metal Gear Solid 2's port was borderline borderline unplayable when it was first released, and is still pretty wonky today. With all the fan patches and fixes you'll need to get it working you'd seriously just be better off emulating it.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I think Jick Magger is referring to the PC versions, which he's right about - though it should be noted the Psycho Mantis encounter doesn't really work entirely well on PC for obvious reasons.

MGS1 is available for download on the PSstore but it'll look awkward on a modern TV. Might be best to just emulate MGS1 to be honest.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
I played the first one few times back in the PCSX2 days, and i even still remember most of the gameplay sections. I'll try then the EPSX 2 on my not so hot laptop (GT 650M, some i-7 processor) and see how it goes. Oh right, there was also the Gamecube remake of the first one. Is it worth checking out?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I played the first one few times back in the PSX days, and i even still remember most of the gameplay sections. I'll try then the EPSX 2 on my not so hot laptop (GT 650M, some i-7 processor) and see how it goes. Oh right, there was also the Gamecube remake of the first one. Is it worth checking out?
Worth looking at just for the hell of it. Gameplay wise it's alot easier than the first game: they re-created the levels faithfully but also added the changes in gameplay from MGS2, which means you can safely tranq most guards from a safe distance because the original levels weren't designed with the player being able to shoot from first person in mind. The cutscenes are also alot more over-the-top, with Snake doing alot of gravity-defying flips, which doesn't really mesh well with his more realistic fighting in the later games . Despite what the purists will tell you, this was not due to external meddling: Apparently Ryuhei Kitamura (who's a fairly prolific action movie director in Japan) scripted the original cutscenes as shot-by-shot remakes of the first game's, but Kojima rejected them and requested he re-do them in his style instead. You'll hear alot of purists say that it's literally worse than Hitler, but overall it's a neat and harmless little oddity in the series.

Alfons

Prophet
I'm presuming that you've only played (well, probably youtubed) MGR and are going to pretend you have knowledge of the rest of the series. If you're going to straight-faced tell me that things like MGS3's final 30 minutes, Snake's speech at the end of MGS2 and with the proper context, the final boss of MGS4 "come out as more retarded than any campy elements" well, I honestly feel really bad for you. Like, it has to be really tough to go through life being this mentally brain damaged, unable to enjoy things that anyone with a 90+ IQ can.
:lol:
Yeah MGS is right up there with Godfather and Citizen Kane. The seductive bikini blonde that drives a fucking Harley in the woods. The final part when you're on the back of a motorcycle shooting everyone in the base that you just snuck through. The fact that you tie a balloon to someone who changes allegiance at the drop of a hat and you just trust him. The fact that every motherfucker you meet spews exposition at you, about the government, their life story, the retarded reason they keep fighting even though it's so hard. All the "serious" parts are fanfic material, I would provide specific examples but it's all the same shit. "illuminati", "balck ops", "war economy", "soldier's hardships".

I understand that you are so proud of yourself for enjoying MGS that you can't stop sucking your own dick about it, but let's be honest. Anyone that thinks that MGS has anything that isn't completely retarded is a dumb motherfucker. But you keep playing watching your MGS games movies and think that it's GOTY Oscar material.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Yeah MGS is right up there with Godfather and Citizen Kane. The seductive bikini blonde that drives a fucking Harley in the woods. The final part when you're on the back of a motorcycle shooting everyone in the base that you just snuck through. The fact that you tie a balloon to someone who changes allegiance at the drop of a hat and you just trust him. The fact that every motherfucker you meet spews exposition at you, about the government, their life story, the retarded reason they keep fighting even though it's so hard. All the "serious" parts are fanfic material, I would provide specific examples but it's all the same shit. "illuminati", "balck ops", "war economy", "soldier's hardships".

I understand that you are so proud of yourself for enjoying MGS that you can't stop sucking your own dick about it, but let's be honest. Anyone that thinks that MGS has anything that isn't completely retarded is a dumb motherfucker. But you keep playing watching your MGS games movies and think that it's GOTY Oscar material.

As you said in your opening statement you've never played a MGS game. You simply name dropped various things from different games that you saw in a couple youtube videos and forum threads or whatever, but also added in things that simply are not in any of the titles at all.

So, what have you gained from all of this?

- Everyone who has any working knowledge of the series (majority of posters in this thread) thinks you're a retard whoring for attention
- Nobody is going to change their opinion; Nobody is going to suddenly stop liking the games because Alfons some random 2014 newfag from the codex thinks we're stupid for liking them
- You didn't even get any brofists

We all walk away with no new insight gained (other than objective proof you have shit taste) and now we all know that you're mentally hindered.

Good work.

:salute:

Alfons

Prophet
- Nobody is going to change their opinion; Nobody is going to suddenly stop liking the games because Alfons some random 2014 newfag from the codex thinks we're stupid for liking it
Eh, fanboys. No matter what you say they will still like it.
- You didn't even get any brofists
Ah yes. The illustrious brofist, the ultimate indication of post quality.
You have the same two people brofisting your posts, I had two in my original post. So we're about even.

It's a shitty melodrama that's been put on a pedestal by some retarded faggots. You don't need to play it to figure that out.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Ok, you're right. Everyone, time to pack it up. The great and mighty Alfons who has never played the games before understands precisely why we should all stop enjoying them.

Thread's over. Alfons won with his peerless logic. After all, who could ever dispute the argument of "this is bad because I said it's bad. this is shitty, cuz... it is! trust me!!! i saw a video once!!!!! there was this thing i took out of context and i couldnt understand that it was intentionally goofy!"

Flawless. A true visionary. In fact I'm going to forward these posts to Kojima so he can cancel MGSV before it launches. He will doubtlessly agree that Alfons the 2014 Codexer who is so intelligent he couldn't understand my point on brofists was an obvious joke is the objective source on what good taste is.

Pack it up men. It was an honor serving with you all :salute:

Alfons

Prophet
Phage If you see a freshly shat out turd lying on the street do you bend over to smell it to see that it stinks? Do you play around with it to see if it's really shit? Or do you just make the very likely assumption that it is shit?

The brilliant story telling of MGS comes in cut-scene form. Are you telling me that watching that same shit 20-minute cutscene changes when you do it in game? Because if not then I've got news for you, it is shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Phage If you see a freshly shat out turd lying on the street do you bend over to smell it to see that it stinks? Do you play around with it to see if it's really shit? Or do you just make the very likely assumption that it is shit?
I ....just can't argue with this logic. Smelling a shit and playin a video game are totally the same thing?

Why are we even playing videogames?

Alfons

Prophet
I ....just can't argue with this logic. Smelling a shit and playin a video game are totally the same thing.
I can't help but notice that you left out the second line.

Very clever. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom