Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

dunno lah

Arcane
There is gameplay footage of base raiding where the defending Boss comes in via heli and fires a rocket at the attacking Boss. I assume the cigar stops working when the defending player comes in. Don't know if you can choose which player you want to raid or if it's matchmade...

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
There is gameplay footage of base raiding where the defending Boss comes in via heli and fires a rocket at the attacking Boss. I assume the cigar stops working when the defending player comes in. Don't know if you can choose which player you want to raid or if it's matchmade...

You can invade people on your friends list, as well as people who have invaded you previously to steal back the stuff they stole.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I see. Have not seen that gameplay. Guess it could be a cool thing, but it would get a bit frustrated if you get raided all the time and loose all your resources. I wonder how they will balance it out with people that buys their bases for real money. They won't have to worry about resources.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I've played MGS 1-3 but never got to play the others with Big Boss. Is there any chance I'll be lost in Phantom Pain's story?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've played MGS 1-3 but never got to play the others with Big Boss. Is there any chance I'll be lost in Phantom Pain's story?

Not really, it looks like mostly a self-contained story if you include Ground Zeroes, the paid demo prologue. There will be a few characters from Peace Walker you won't recognize, but nothing major.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Still, it wouldn't be bad to catch up. It's not like MGS4 spoils MGS5 in any way since Kojima most likely wasn't thinking of Big Boss's history after MGS3 that much until after he wrapped up the fourth game.

Peace Walker might be skippable overall to be honest. I mean, I could summarize it as "Big Boss and his newly formed PMC 'MSF' are hired to check shit out in South America and eventually shit happens to lead into MGS5". I say this mainly cause I know that most people are pretty divided on the plot of Peace Walker. I liked it and thought it was okay story wise. I guess. It was okay.

But on the other hand it is kind of fun to play as a game in of itself. I don't know, take your gamble. It's eiither play the games or just read some summaries and shit.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
So how would you catch up, go for the games before MGS1 ? PErsonally I decided to play (for the first time) MSG1, 2 and 3 and then go to MGS5 GZ.

Play MGS1-3 (4 if you can) and GZ, that should set you up nicely. Just remember that MGS2 is not the most coherent experience because it plays like an episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I still think it's a great game.

As MGS V: TPP is supposed to be the end, my but will be hurt if there's not even a remix of the classical MGS theme:

Edit: fixed link

Last edited:

dunno lah

Arcane
So how would you catch up, go for the games before MGS1 ? PErsonally I decided to play (for the first time) MSG1, 2 and 3 and then go to MGS5 GZ.

Play MGS1-3 (4 if you can) and GZ, that should set you up nicely. Just remember that MGS2 is not the most coherent experience because it plays like an episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I still think it's a great game.

As MGS V: TPP is supposed to be the end, my but will be hurt if there's not even a remix of the classical MGS theme:

It won't happen. And even if it did, it would sound like the MGS2 theme.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Kojima's a pretty big fan of eighties music too (he cites Joy Division/New Order as his favorite band(s)), so here's hoping we get a nice licensed little collection of licensed songs, too.

Caim

Arcane
Well, given the massive number of David Bowie stuff referenced in the game I have good hopes for a bunch of his music appearing in the game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If time isn't a factor you should probably play Peace Walker too. Actually, if you just want background story for MGS5, I'd play Peace Walker instead of 2. MGS2 is almost completely unrelated storywise from the Big Boss saga.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I read Peace Walker was too much of non-canon combined with repetitive gameplay, I'll probably skip it.
It's kind of repetitive, but it's as canon as any game afaik.

The only MGS game that has iffy canon is Portable Ops I thought.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Hmm.. it's kind of retarded that when you reload from your latest checkpoint you have restored all of your previously used ammo. Is this fixed on harder difficulties? Talkin' bout GZ

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Gonna confirm, Portable Ops is iffy as all fuck in the canon. To my knowledge, Big Boss never mentions it in Peace Walker.

This is a shitty video where Kojima gets asked the question though.

Also this is the best MGS3 theme. AND TRAILER! AND FORMERLY BEST TRAILER

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
At most, the later games in the series acknowledge that something happened in San Hieronymo, it involved Big Boss, Miller, and possibly Campbell, and a direct consequence of it was FOX disbanding, Ocelot retrieving the second half of the legacy, and Big Boss joining The Patriots. If anything, Peace Walker's stubborn refusal to acknowledge the events of Portable Ops makes its story suffer pretty badly, as Big Boss has to go through a second round of getting over killing The Boss (though at least this one opts for a different, darker resolution than Portable Ops'), and and apparently has been stricken with amnesia of major events in his life that occurred in the past five years (Paz essentially recites his own history with The Patriots to him, and his only reaction is a confused 'Huh?').

At least the game canonically establishes that Big Boss can talk to cats and fought giant dinosaurs. And believes in Santa Claus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom