Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Machocruz

Arcane
D- Walker? We District 9 now.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So guys, having never played any MGS, which would be mandatory to prepare my body for some phantom pain ?

If you want the complete story (of Big Boss, anyway) leading up to TPP, play Snake Eater, Peace Walker then Ground Zeroes. If you had to play just one, Ground Zeroes is probably your best choice since the gameplay is the same and it leads directly into TPP.

You can safely skip Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 because those all take place AFTER The Phantom Pain.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
As great as the gameplay fundamentals are in that E3 footage, it also reinforced a couple of fears I had about the game:

The side-ops more or less devolve into fetch quests (literally in the case of the E3 footage). Even though the AI adapts its tactics and the gameplay basics are incredibly strong, I fear I'm going to get burnt out with generic mission objectives 20+ hours into the game. There doesn't seem to be any strong narrative ties to the side-ops either.

The fulton soldier capture mechanic seems essential to building up a base, and I hate that such a mechanic is present in a stealth game. Encountering and capturing soldiers seems out of place in a series that has encouraged purist ghosting-style playstyles for the maximum rank at the end of the game.

Despite these issues, I can't wait for the release of the game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I fear I'm going to get burnt out with generic mission objectives 20+ hours into the game.

This. It seems like the missions degenerate into an exhaustive pattern very quickly, with some top-notch cutscenes thrown in-between to keep you going. And the core gameplay seems to not really evolve beyond your typical "sneak behind dudes and press button" shooter with some vehicles thrown in. The Splinter Cell is still strong in this, and that bores me very quickly. Not sure I'm willing to spend a 100+ hours doing that stuff for the whole game.... but knowing my fickle urges and Kojima's genius, I probably will.

:negative:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I just hope Kojima is an import bonus for Ground Zeroes, then we can finally play as Kojima. I'll just ignore the story and run around as Kojima with D.D. listening to 80's rock.

Machocruz

Arcane
Is the base management absolutely necessary? Seems like it gives you access to a lot of 'stuff' but not stuff that is necessary to get through the main campaign. Minimalist run might be possible.

Adon

Arcane
As great as the gameplay fundamentals are in that E3 footage, it also reinforced a couple of fears I had about the game:

The side-ops more or less devolve into fetch quests (literally in the case of the E3 footage). Even though the AI adapts its tactics and the gameplay basics are incredibly strong, I fear I'm going to get burnt out with generic mission objectives 20+ hours into the game. There doesn't seem to be any strong narrative ties to the side-ops either.

The fulton soldier capture mechanic seems essential to building up a base, and I hate that such a mechanic is present in a stealth game. Encountering and capturing soldiers seems out of place in a series that has encouraged purist ghosting-style playstyles for the maximum rank at the end of the game.

Despite these issues, I can't wait for the release of the game.

This. It seems like the missions degenerate into an exhaustive pattern very quickly, with some top-notch cutscenes thrown in-between to keep you going. And the core gameplay seems to not really evolve beyond your typical "sneak behind dudes and press button" shooter with some vehicles thrown in. The Splinter Cell is still strong in this, and that bores me very quickly. Not sure I'm willing to spend a 100+ hours doing that stuff for the whole game.... but knowing my fickle urges and Kojima's genius, I probably will.

:negative:

Yup. That's pretty much how it was in Peace Walker. Side-ops are more for expanding Mother Base, its crew, and equipment and never for narrative purposes or side stories. Just seeing it I could easily tell it is heavily based on PW's game design with a much bigger and freer levels. A huge shame because it could've been an easy way to flesh out the side characters that ended up being mediocre in PW.

Did they ever say if co-op was in? Because that probably would cut the chore of some of it in half and make it more enjoyable. Admittedly, regardless of that, this will probably end up sucking the life out of me; spent about 100+ on my first time in PW, so damn, I can only imagine how long this might take.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Hopefully there is some story content in the side missions they just haven't showed. All of the gameplay presentations they've showed off have been for the purpose of showing how the game works, with story stuff reserved for the trailers.

There's a risk of the side content getting too samey and repetitive, this was a big problem in Peace Walker. (especially the vehicle missions) But the gameplay in TPP looks so much better than PW, which frankly is not that great when it comes to the minute to minute gameplay, so I'm not worried. Can't wait for mods that add

Is the base management absolutely necessary? Seems like it gives you access to a lot of 'stuff' but not stuff that is necessary to get through the main campaign. Minimalist run might be possible.

IIRC in Peace Walker you could largely ignore it, the game would just be much harder because your equipment would be shit. The base building is a much larger part of the game this time though. PW was just menus and making simple decisions like assigning your soldiers to teams and choosing research, this time the base is a physical location you can move around and can be attacked by enemy forces.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm personally banking on the side content being loads of fun for what some may call "Emergent Gameplay" (If I understand the term correctly). Since Metal Gear games tend to have a lovely plethora of tools to dick around with, you could well go into the same base over and over and just find new ways to fool around with the guards. A weak thought, I will admit.

Still, I guess for someone like me, a base means a new thrill. The idea of essentially creating my own missions in my head, sneaking about, extracting high value soldiers, snagging their stuff, or just extracting the whole base (or murdering everyone), just tickles my fancy. My Steam account shows me as having 68 hours in Ground Zeroes alone. And I have some of the most fond (and rose tinted, admittedly) memories with Metal Gear Solid 3. I have to fight the urges I get to dump more hours into Ground Zeroes right now.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
With proper difficulty the experience should be better, now judging from the gameplay videos it looks like super popamole.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I get why people still have reservations, it's smart to be skeptical about any game you haven't actually played and are just going off what they've shown us. However, I have a counterpoint that should alleviate all of your concerns;
tumblr_nq5pa0Oa7U1t6xtc8o1_540.gif

Press triangle to love dog.

Caim

Arcane
I saw footage of the dog holding a knife in its mouth and attacking an enemy with it. This game also features a fallen hero who's got problems with one of his arms.

This seems kinda familiar...

Love

Cipher
They seem to go with everything that's fun in the design. I'm intrigued after watching all the demos because I avoided those 40 minute videos in fear of just seeing some of those lengthy cutscenes typical for the series. To my surprise there is no cinematic animation disturbing the gameplay in those demos unlike most of modern games. All that sticks out is the slowed time after being discovered.

Alfons

Prophet
I liked the part where you tried to interrogate a soldier who only spoke Russian. Boss, being the uber soldier he is, doesn't know that language. You knock the guy out see he has good stats and send him to base. Within a few minutes the guy is not only back in the base, he has been interrogated, agreed to work for you, and learned English.
SHOCKED.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I liked the part where you tried to interrogate a soldier who only spoke Russian. Boss, being the uber soldier he is, doesn't know that language. You knock the guy out see he has good stats and send him to base. Within a few minutes the guy is not only back in the base, he has been interrogated, agreed to work for you, and learned English.
SHOCKED.gif
Nanomachines, son.

All that sticks out is the slowed time after being discovered.
Thankfully you can turn that off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom