Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid 4

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Anyone played it?

Great game, but
Snake should have died in the server room. Would have made for a much better and emotional ending.

However, as a fan of MGS since the beginning, I must admit the ending, and various other scenes involving Snake in the game, did still stir some emotion up inside. The contrast between the living legend of the previous games and this prematurely aged, frail old man is striking at times. Seems strange that I could become emotional about a computer game character, but he was extremely well acted and visualised in this game, and you actually grow very empathic towards him, and I salute Hideo Kojima for that.

Anyway, fantastic game. Comes close to being an interactive movie at times (you will spend an equal amount of time watching cutscenes to actually playing) but the cutscenes and the gameplay are equally excellent. Worth getting if you have a PS3.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Really? Wasn't it a shitfest of random paranoid world conspiracy bullshit including ghosts and vampires mixed together with boring 40 min cutscenes?

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
skyway said:
Really? Wasn't it a shitfest of random paranoid world conspiracy bullshit including ghosts and vampires mixed together with boring 40 min cutscenes?

Lol, that's kind of what I was expecting before I played it. And yeah, I guess it kinda still is, but it does it in a good way. And some of the bullshit is even kind of believable in some cases. They use nano technology as an excuse for some of the guy's superhuman powers, which is mildly plausible. Also the deal with the AI pretty much controlling the planet isn't that stupid. Anyway, if you ignore the stupid parts, which there are much fewer of than in the previous 2 games, and see through to the good parts of the story, it is really enjoyable. Admittedly, some of the cutscenes are rather long-winded(the mission briefings in particular), and I did lose interest at times, but for the most part, they keep your attention and are very entertaining.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd give MGS4 a rating of 3.5/5 for those who aren't fans and 5/5 for hardcore fans. You really had to go in just for the cutscenes and over-the-top story (which still doesn't take itself 100% serious) and characters to get into it. Heck, it's not PS:T or anything like that, but it's still better than 90% of the games out there.

The gameplay is extremely good (one of the best 3rd person action/sneaking games here), but there's quite little of it (though I say that navigating through the battles fought by the good AI or participating in them was fun. The rebels started to trust you too easily though). The boss fights were excellent and figuring out to stab Vamp with the syringe all by myself made me feel that I was paying attention and did well.

But all in all, I'd still say that MGS has ran its course along with the whole movie-game idea. Quoting Eurogamer (for once I can quote a journalist with a clear conscience): "We love you Snake. Don't come back."

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Zinc said:
Anyone played it?

Great game, but
Snake should have died in the server room. Would have made for a much better and emotional ending.
Yes, I agree. BTW, crawling through the "microwave oven" corridor was fucking intense - you tapping the "triangle" button and steering the Analog in the right direction while the upper screen distracting you (at least the first time) - Kojima knows how to do those things.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
I'd give MGS4 a rating of 3.5/5 for those who aren't fans and 5/5 for hardcore fans. You really had to go in just for the cutscenes and over-the-top story (which still doesn't take itself 100% serious) and characters to get into it. Heck, it's not PS:T or anything like that, but it's still better than 90% of the games out there.

The gameplay is extremely good (one of the best 3rd person action/sneaking games here), but there's quite little of it (though I say that navigating through the battles fought by the good AI or participating in them was fun. The rebels started to trust you too easily though). The boss fights were excellent and figuring out to stab Vamp with the syringe all by myself made me feel that I was paying attention and did well.

But all in all, I'd still say that MGS has ran its course along with the whole movie-game idea. Quoting Eurogamer (for once I can quote a journalist with a clear conscience): "We love you Snake. Don't come back."
This.

Darth Roxor said:
http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2008/01/18
Not bad.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I've made it through the PC MGS1/2 and I must say it's "enjoyable". It's akin to listening to a 6 year old retelling you, in his own words, a story that he finds extremely exciting, while at the same time you're playing a game of Advanced Tetris. In other words, it makes me feel like a grandfather, which is a pretty comfortable feeling.

I've tried emulating MGS3 (which I consider is a must to play before I get to MGS4) but so far the emu-tech is a bit shite, or maybe it's just this one game that isn't fully supported. (Managed to duke around with the tekkens fairly well) But I'll get there eventually; the story isn't enthralling to the effect that I must have a continuation RIGHT NOW or I'll pass out, in fact I could probably hold it off for a few years.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
St. Toxic said:
I've made it through the PC MGS1/2 and I must say it's "enjoyable". It's akin to listening to a 6 year old retelling you, in his own words, a story that he finds extremely exciting, while at the same time you're playing a game of Advanced Tetris. In other words, it makes me feel like a grandfather, which is a pretty comfortable feeling.

I've tried emulating MGS3 (which I consider is a must to play before I get to MGS4) but so far the emu-tech is a bit shite, or maybe it's just this one game that isn't fully supported. (Managed to duke around with the tekkens fairly well) But I'll get there eventually; the story isn't enthralling to the effect that I must have a continuation RIGHT NOW or I'll pass out, in fact I could probably hold it off for a few years.

MGS 4 shits all over MGS 3 and 2. It is like an up to date version of the first game, but with more action and cutscenes.

I thought that the flashback Snake has of Shadow Moses when it goes back to MGS1 was a great touch. I was instantly taken back to 1999 and pure nostalgia washed over me, almost brought a tear to my eye :p

St. Toxic

Arcane
From what I heard the story is closely tied in with the earlier MGS's and, basically requiered you to have some knowledge of the earlier games to understand what was going on. Whatever the case may be, I like to go through game series bottom-up with no exceptions, otherwise it feels like cheating.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Zinc said:
St. Toxic said:

MGS 4 shits all over MGS 3 and 2. It is like an up to date version of the first game, but with more <s>action and</s> <B>cutscenes</b>.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Metal Gear Solid ran it's course with the first one. After that, they got too damn fucking stupid for me to care. MGS 2 killed it for me with the AI's, nanotech, and playing a guy I'd rather fuck than fight. At the same time, it brought in the FPS aiming mode which has become a staple of the series. Anyway, MGS 3 was dumb as hell in story, but brought in a nice new element to the game: hardcore h2h combat. You couldn't get through without it. The 4th brought in a few elements of expanding on the fps aiming and 3rd person shooting, and even h2h combat, but really it didn't have enough gameplay for me to say it was awesome, etc, etc. though my bud did get thru the game on hardcore without getting spotted once, which was hard as balls.
Let's see, too many cut scenes, dumb story, bad characters (even Snake was kinda sucky honestly, too emo), too much emo overall, ending was just dumb as all fuck too. What am I missing?
Oh yeah, it was basically playing clean up and ret-conning all the shit that was made in the 2nd game. Fucking hell. Nano-tech in the first was mentioned once or twice (as a way to track soldiers, plus it's super expensive and dangerous to people that haven't had their immune systems repressed or received gene therapy) and now it's fucking everywhere in the span of ten fucking years or less? What the fuck is this shit? Oh, and all the shit endings too, did I mention that?
Could have been a great game honestly but the goddamn story sucked and ruined it for me. Fucking emo jap cocksuckers and their bullshit conspiracy stories and hentai-like fascination with goddamn cutscenes. What. The. FUCK!!!!!!.

First one was pretty awesome.

The second one can s my d for all the awful conspiracy bullshit, the terrible main character, and that it didn't really enhance the gameplay much. And the true beginning of oppressive amounts of cutscenes.

The third one....wow. Colonel Pikachu was dumb as can be as was the spirit medium, the crispy cosmonaut, and the civil war plant-man sniper. The whole camo mechanic got kind of silly as did the survival mechanics. Hand to hand stuff was cool. Cutscenes seemed about as frequent as MGS2, which isn't a god thing. Oh....and "NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES!"

The fourth one I probably won't play until PS3s are much cheaper or I have a reason to get one besides Way of the Samurai 3 (if it ever comes out).

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Major_Blackhart said:
Metal Gear Solid ran it's course with the first one. After that, they got too damn fucking stupid for me to care. MGS 2 killed it for me with the AI's, nanotech, and playing a guy I'd rather fuck than fight. At the same time, it brought in the FPS aiming mode which has become a staple of the series. Anyway, MGS 3 was dumb as hell in story, but brought in a nice new element to the game: hardcore h2h combat. You couldn't get through without it. The 4th brought in a few elements of expanding on the fps aiming and 3rd person shooting, and even h2h combat, but really it didn't have enough gameplay for me to say it was awesome, etc, etc. though my bud did get thru the game on hardcore without getting spotted once, which was hard as balls.
Let's see, too many cut scenes, dumb story, bad characters (even Snake was kinda sucky honestly, too emo), too much emo overall, ending was just dumb as all fuck too. What am I missing?
Oh yeah, it was basically playing clean up and ret-conning all the shit that was made in the 2nd game. Fucking hell. Nano-tech in the first was mentioned once or twice (as a way to track soldiers, plus it's super expensive and dangerous to people that haven't had their immune systems repressed or received gene therapy) and now it's fucking everywhere in the span of ten fucking years or less? What the fuck is this shit? Oh, and all the shit endings too, did I mention that?
Could have been a great game honestly but the goddamn story sucked and ruined it for me. Fucking emo jap cocksuckers and their bullshit conspiracy stories and hentai-like fascination with goddamn cutscenes. What. The. FUCK!!!!!!.

I didn't think Snake was emo at all. He remained defiant until the end, still cracking a joke or two along the way. If you didn't feel a little sorry for him when he was coughing his guts up every time he tried to take a drag of his beloved cigarettes then you have no heart or soul.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I liked the nice touch of the psyche drops when people made snide insinuations about Snake smoking or being old.

Lurkar

Scholar
MGS4 was meh. It was very clearly made with the hardcore fans in mind and nothing else. Frankly, I think it's biggest problem is that nobody wants to tell Kojima "no." It would've been so much better if they had forced him to cut out about 20% of everything (and at least half of the oppressive cutscene time, which got truly inane every so often, characters sitting there and telling you things you already konw, then REtelling you, then retelling THEMSELVES)

Also, telling the ENTIRE STORYLINE at the EPILOGUES because NOBODY UNDERSTANDS IT? This is not good writing.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Isn't "making it for the hardcore fans" the ideal? After all isn't there a certain game out there if it were made for the hardcore fans the Codex would be pleased?

*Cough* Fallout 3 *Cough*

Even if you don't like MGS seeing it's critical success despite it taking a shit on what a lot of tards think it should be can give you hope. Think about it man. All the old classic gameplay conventions like Turn based combat can make a comeback. It would have already happened if we had more uber dictator game devs. Kojima may be a crazy man but uninhibited crazy man > corporate suit faggot.

Skald

Novice
I never played the games, so don't be hatin', but I've read a fair share about the plot and it seems...silly. Is that the correct word?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The First MGS had a decent plot. Obviously bull, but at the same time, hey, some of those things could happen (terror plot, hijacking a nuke facility, traitors). Other things are obvious bullshit, but hey. Anyway, the game had good a number of cutscenes, but at the same time, the in game stuff was actually a small portion of what the entire game was, which was gameplay. Obviously, the first was the best overall simply for lack of dumbfuck story shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom