Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

METAL GEAR RISING 2 CONFIRMED

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be fair, the game is very broken. But it can still be fun, if you play it for the "doing this is so cool" aspect. Trying to cut everything into the smallest pieces possible is neat.
The game has (or needs) any other aspects?

Tehdagah

Arcane
To be fair, the game is very broken. But it can still be fun, if you play it for the "doing this is so cool" aspect. Trying to cut everything into the smallest pieces possible is neat.
The game has (or needs) any other aspects?
Yes, it should be a good action game, not just a good "do cool looking stuff" simulator.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
ONE OF THE ALL TIME GREATEST GAMES
Please end yourself.

This is even dumber than "Dark Souls is the best game made in the last 10 years".

I find the amount hyperbolic enthusiasm which surrounds those games to be rather obnoxious, but the thing that annoys me is that nobody is capable of explaining why those games are good. When i tried Dark Souls i had absolutely no idea what i was getting into. I only knew that the game was teh hard and also the bestest game evah. For me the experience of playing this game was like discovering a long forgotten classic from the pre-decline era. The game IS in fact that good, which might explain the enthusiasm, but then, there was a time when we used to get games like this on a fairly regular basis, so what's with the obsession? Or maybe its just people who weren't around to experience the golden age who are not used to this type of quality so they freak out when they are exposed to it?

I'm having a much harder time with MGR because i don't really like the presentation. I own the game on Steam, and i already downloaded all 25GB of it so eventually i'll play it but again, it would help if somebody could just explain why the fuck this game is supposed to be so great. Faggot main character, insanely long cut scenes, shit load of QTE, lot's of detrimental crap but so far few things of quality that i can see. At what point does the game become good? How long do i need to play it until i start to "get" it?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
there was a time when we used to get games like this on a fairly regular basis

When was this? And what games are you referring to? I'm genuinely curious because I am in the camp who think that Dark Souls is god-tier and I would love to play games of similar quality.

I'm having a much harder time with MGR because i don't really like the presentation. I own the game on Steam, and i already downloaded all 25GB of it so eventually i'll play it but again, it would help if somebody could just explain why the fuck this game is supposed to be so great.

Right, so

Faggot main character,
Raiden has a biological son. Literally not a faggot. He can be somewhat offputting at times, but for the most part you need to be viewing the game through the lens of the same charming camp that DMC3 and Bayonetta have. He's cheesy, goofy, and tries to be cool but comes off as silly. At no point is Raiden actually supposed to be badass, other than a few fleeting moments while ripping out spines or telling Armstrong this isn't his sword. That has always been his character since MGS2.

insanely long cut scenes,
Except not. The cutscenes are like 5-10 mins per chapter. That is pretty light/reasonable for a vidya. You can just skip them all anyways if you're that offended.

shit load of QTE
This gets thrown out a lot despite being quite incorrect.

The only true QTE's are present at the end of each and during some boss battles. There's a checkpoint right before the death inducing ones, and the timing is quite lenient. They always lead to ridiculous, satisfying actions (like tossing a mech or jumping on missiles)

There are in-combat indicators telling you when you can steal spines or activate special counter attacks. You don't have to do these. It's not different than, say, the counter indicator in an arkham style game.

lot's of detrimental crap but so far few things of quality that i can see. At what point does the game become good? How long do i need to play it until i start to "get" it?

It starts off good. If you don't like it by the Bladewolf you're probably not going to enjoy it. You need to be willing to actually try the game for its merits instead of picking apart small things because other people love it.

Ivan

Arcane
How long do i need to play it until i start to "get" it?

The game clicked for me when I mastered the dodge offset move. It's at that point when the combat system really shines. Furthermore, I absolutely loved how Very Hard is handled here (new enemy placements). In fact, the finesse required for Very Hard is just about the best thing about the game. I also dig how much the game understands what it wants to be. The qte's here are all badass (no mash x to open a door or Krato's mash o to open a chest). Most of the qte's here are deserved and keep you right back in the action by refilling your hp and bm meter.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
When was this? And what games are you referring to? I'm genuinely curious because I am in the camp who think that Dark Souls is god-tier and I would love to play games of similar quality.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Raiden has a biological son. Literally not a faggot.

He can be somewhat offputting at times

Dude, he looks like a fucking homo.

but for the most part you need to be viewing the game through the lens of the same charming camp that DMC3 and Bayonetta have. He's cheesy, goofy, and tries to be cool but comes off as silly. At no point is Raiden actually supposed to be badass, other than a few fleeting moments while ripping out spines or telling Armstrong this isn't his sword. That has always been his character since MGS2.

I never played any of those games before, so i don't care if this is a "thing". It's retarded one way or another. I mean, 80s action heroes were cheesy too but not in such a faggy way.

You need to be willing to actually try the game for its merits instead of picking apart small things because other people love it.

And those merits are? You still didn't make an argument for why this game is so great. And people loving it is not the issue. Its people claiming that this is the BEST GAME EVER that is the issue. When you make extraordinary claims like that you need extraordinary arguments to back it up.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Raiden has a biological son. Literally not a faggot.

He can be somewhat offputting at times

Dude, he looks like a fucking homo.

but for the most part you need to be viewing the game through the lens of the same charming camp that DMC3 and Bayonetta have. He's cheesy, goofy, and tries to be cool but comes off as silly. At no point is Raiden actually supposed to be badass, other than a few fleeting moments while ripping out spines or telling Armstrong this isn't his sword. That has always been his character since MGS2.

I never played any of those games before, so i don't care if this is a "thing". It's retarded one way or another. I mean, 80s action heroes were cheesy too but not in such a faggy way.

You need to be willing to actually try the game for its merits instead of picking apart small things because other people love it.

And those merits are? You still didn't make an argument for why this game is so great. And people loving it is not the issue. Its people claiming that this is the BEST GAME EVER that is the issue. When you make extraordinary claims like that you need extraordinary arguments to back it up.

Oh, sorry, I took your initial post seriously. My mistake.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
List your favored games besides Dark Souls and MGR. I want to know what i'm dealing with here.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
List your favored games besides Dark Souls and MGR. I want to know what i'm dealing with here.

Why? So you can write them all off as LEL FAGGY SHIT? Well, I'm a glutton for punishment, and I know what I like, so I will.

In no particular order: Fallout, Fallout New Vegas, System Shock 2, Torment, Morrowind, Civ 4, Banjo Kazooie, MGS2, and the aforementioned DS/MGR. Pretty much your textbook codex standard + generic vidya shit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Like i suspected.

Ho well, i guess i'll just have to play this game once i'll feel like it and figure it out on my own.

Ivan

Arcane
Cameo plz
2042413-683293_20130611_014.jpg

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I want to know what i'm dealing with here.
A retard from /v/ with shit taste in video games.

So much redundancy in that sentence.
MwRafa6.png

In all honesty, I need a direct feed to your posts, because every single one is a massive boost to my ego since I know that no matter what happens in life, at least I'm not Gerrard from the codex

-

Ok, hopefully this stalking feature lets me know whenever Gerrard has posted a pick me up

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
So, bad news, kids. Dorito Pope claims it is not MGR2.

olRJdwQ.jpg

Believing in dorito pope...

AOKu5Nk.png

It's also worth nothing that Keighley specifically claimed that Phantom Pain wasn't MGSV. So...

nil

Cipher
So, bad news, kids. Dorito Pope claims it is not MGR2.

olRJdwQ.jpg
It's a prequel. Metal Gear Rising: Prevengeance.
If it sells well we get the actual sequel, Metal Gear Rising: Sequengeance.

Gerrard

Arcane
In all honesty, I need a direct feed to your posts, because every single one is a massive boost to my ego
In contrast to your posts, reading which gives people cancer. Post more le epick memes.

I used to think most people only acted retarded on /v/, thanks for proving me wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom