Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear 5 is such a wasted opportunity

Silva

Arcane
It's that time of the year when I'm itching to play a stealth game. Which is usually satiated by another play through of Chaos Theory, Blood Money or Knife of Dunwall (yeah I love the Dishonored DLC).

This time though I had another interesting pick: Phantom Pain. In my first play through of it last year I was mesmerized by it's open-world stealth gameplay. Until I came a point in the game where a fucking robo-giant appeared as if out of Jaspion/Power-Rangers and the campaign decided to force me to do the same missions again as if it was fun. Oh and the starting half-hour interactive cutscene.

I mean, WTF ? This may be the most ingeniously designed stealth game ever, a stealth game paradise of infinite replayability. Yet its cluttered with a fiction so silly, a intro so boring and a endgame execution so .... that it makes me puke with the thought of replaying it.

So, anyone else feels this game has the biggest wasted potential ever ? Did Kojima sabotage the project midway or something ?

P.s: reinstalling Dishonored. (don't you get ashamed of hearing this, Mr. Kojima ?)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's that time of the year when I'm itching to play a stealth game. Which is usually satiated by another play through of Chaos Theory, Blood Money or Knife of Dunwall (yeah I love the Dishonored DLC).

This time though I had another interesting pick: Phantom Pain. In my first play through of it last year I was mesmerized by it's open-world stealth gameplay. Until I came a point in the game where a fucking robo-giant appeared as if out of Jaspion/Power-Rangers and the campaign decided to force me to do the same missions again as if it was fun. Oh and the starting half-hour interactive cutscene.

I mean, WTF ? This may be the most ingeniously designed stealth game ever, a stealth game paradise of infinite replayability. Yet its cluttered with a fiction so silly, a intro so boring and a endgame execution so .... that it makes me puke with the thought of replaying it.

So, anyone else feels this game has the biggest wasted potential ever ? Did Kojima sabotage the project midway or something ?

P.s: reinstalling Dishonored. (don't you get ashamed of hearing this, Mr. Kojima ?)
First, there is a Metal Gear Solid 5 thread already.
Second, this a Metal Gear game, of course thereis a robo-giant in it, what did you expect?

The game is a wasted potential, and I say this as a Metal Gear fanboy. But not because of the "silly" fiction or the robots, but because the last act was butchered and rushed. You basicly replay the previous missions. This probably has a lot to do with Konami rushing the game out as soon as possible. Also, there is a lot of grinding which I loath.

Machocruz

Arcane
It's crimes:

Relies too much on the Fultoning aspect. You should have been limited each mission to like 5 or 10 uses. This is an area where one can limit themselves though, like a challenge run.

Not enough good base missions. Needed indoor Shadow Moses/Tanker type missions. Too many little podunk outposts

Most boring boss fights in the series. At least they didn't "penalize" you for going lethal though.

No difficulty select. Too easy unless you limit yourself.

Unnecessary open world and helicopter drop off scenes. Should have been structured like Crysis or Ghost Recon (original).

A lot of good ideas and cool shit though, just needs tightening up. Too bad it's probably the last proper MG game.

Calling Dishonored a stealth game is funny to me. It's not anymore so than Dark Messiah. Stealth is simply an option, not a necessity to survive. And it's shallow. At least the base game, never played the expansions.

sullynathan

Arcane
Metal Gear has always been a poor stealth game. Just Compare Chaos Theory (The best stealth game in the last decade) to MGS3 that came out within a couple of months and it is clear that Metal Gear has never been that good.
I can only assume that the fans like it for the story because it sure as hell isn't for the gameplay.

Onto MGSV, the game obviously has a lot of good mechanics and if we were just going by that, it could have been a great stealth game. It's clear Kojima learned from Splinter Cell but the AI in the game is as dumb as a bag of rocks and the open world shit is a waste.

Last edited:

Neki

Scholar
Metal Gear has always been a poor stealth game. Just Compare Chaos Theory (The best stealth game in the last decade) to MGS3 that came out within a couple of months and it is clear that Metal Gear has never been that good.
I can only assume that the fans like it for the story because it sure as hell isn't for the gameplay.

Onto MGSV, the game obviously has a lot of good mechanics and if we were just going by that, it could have been a great stealth game. It's clear Kojima learned from Splinter Cell but the AI in the game is as dumb as a bag of rocks and the open world shit is a waste.

Can't answer fo the others but for me is:

Story+gameplay+setting and the best bosses in video game history(and some of the worst ones)

I like to treat as an adventure game instead of a stealth focused one

I could spend hours talking about msg bosses

Cyborg ninja, Psycho mantis, The End, Sniper wolf, Vamp, The boss:love:

I recommend playing even if you not gonna play stealth Just for the atmosphere

I also recomend playing in that order MSG3>MSG Portable ops>MSG Peace walker>MSG1>MSG2>MSG4

You can ignore V and Ground zeroes

Declinator

Arbiter
I like MGS3 and it sure as hell isn't for story (which is bad).
MGS3 has its ups and downs when it comes to stealth. It's really quite a bad stealth game when in an urban environment or when indoors but has some pretty damn good outdoors/wildlife stealth sections. The End is the best stealth boss I've ever played. The camo index mechanic is interesting and unique where Chaos Theory does pretty much nothing unique at all. Chaos Theory is a more even experience and by no means a bad one but it's sort of bland.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
MGS5 is really unfinished and the whole act 2 was completely butchered and is missing probably 90% of the stuff that was originally supposed to be in. It's probably safe to assume that a lot of non-story related stuff was cut too. This was apparently because Konami thought the game was getting too expensive and didn't let Kojima finish it the way he wanted to.

Now, modern Konami is probably the worst AAA company out there and I dislike them more than any other publisher out there for destroying muh Castlevania, but I think people putting the blame solely on them are missing the mark. Kojima is a bit like George Lucas in the sense that he has great ideas and he is the undisputed creator of the franchise but he also has a lot of stupid and retarded ideas and needs someone to restrain him.

Tomokazu Fukushima, long time co-writer of the series, left after MGS3 and the games got worse and more bloated after it. I don't know what exactly happened with MGS5 development but it's easy for me to believe that the game got way too big, ambitious and astronomically expensive, because no one was there to tell Kojima what to cut, so Konami suddenly pulled the plug and the game was left very unfinished.

sullynathan

Arcane
I like MGS3 and it sure as hell isn't for story (which is bad).
MGS3 has its ups and downs when it comes to stealth. It's really quite a bad stealth game when in an urban environment or when indoors but has some pretty damn good outdoors/wildlife stealth sections. The End is the best stealth boss I've ever played. The camo index mechanic is interesting and unique where Chaos Theory does pretty much nothing unique at all. Chaos Theory is a more even experience and by no means a bad one but it's sort of bland.
Chaos theory is better made and that's why I like it, I don't care about a camo mechanic

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Chaos Theory is better as a pure stealth game but Metal Gear Solids are not pure stealth games so it's a useless comparison. This should be blatantly obvious when the series is filled with boss battles that are usually straight up action & gunfights.

sullynathan

Arcane
Chaos Theory is better as a pure stealth game but Metal Gear Solids are not pure stealth games so it's a useless comparison. This should be blatantly obvious when the series is filled with boss battles that are usually straight up action & gunfights.
Yeah, the gun fights are also bad and chaos theory as a stealth game still had better gun combat than MGS3.

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
KOJIMA IS A HACK

He fucked up big with MGS 5 and you can't blame Konami, they gave him enough time and money. Story was complete garbage and I think Quiet was created to allow him to cheat on his wife in peace.

best part about MGS is the aesthetic. Talented, disenfranchised soldiers saving the world from destruction with CQC and small arms. Robots, boobs, and magic. At least that was still there.

tet666

Augur

Yeah dunno they might be better stealth games but coming from Metal Gear i always thought the Splinter Cell games where fucking boring maybe it was the lack of over the top japanese shit.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
I don't know what exactly happened with MGS5 development but it's easy for me to believe that the game got way too big
me neither, but there was a convincing post on 4chan that blamed previous generation consoles for the lackluster open world content since they were forced to make it playable on them.

Black

Arcane
MGS was never good.
Kojima is a hack failed movie director wannabe.

tet666

Augur
MGS was never good.
Kojima is a hack failed movie director wannabe.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Would have preferred if Kojima had kept the formula more like it was in MGS1-3. One of the strenghts, cool and interesting villains and fighting them just got progressively worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom