Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Men of War: Assault Squad 2

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So I was dicking about in Steam, and what do I run into?

Men of War: Assault Squad 2 features new single player style skirmish modes that take players from extreme tank combat to deadly sniper stealth missions. Commanders can now faceoff against opponents on various new multiplayer 1v1 – 4v4 maps. To truly bring the battles to life though there is the new 8v8 game mode designed for huge battles on spectacular maps.

This new Assault Squad game brings significant game engine and visual improvements as well, with special attention paid to ones that were highly requested by the players.

Key features:
  • advanced multi-core support
  • advanced shader technology
  • interface and AI improvements, including unit kill counts and squad icon information
  • new multiplayer interface
  • camouflage depending on season
  • fully updated inventory items with new graphics and updated vehicles
  • sound improvements, including voice acting
  • Steam features, including Steam multiplayer, matchmaking, achievements, cloud, player statistics, leaderboards, voice chat, Valve anti-cheat, friends invite and workshop
  • player level up and ranked system
  • in-game video recording, and much more.
Content:
  • 15 new single player skirmishes plus 25 reworked ones from the original Assault Squad
  • eight player co-op support and an all new multiplayer 8v8 game mode
  • 65 multiplayer maps and five gamemodes
  • more than 250 vehicles at your command
  • more than 200 soldiers with unique equipment
  • five factions and various battlefields in Europe, Eastern Europe, Northern Africa and the Pacific
  • direct control every unit as if you were playing a 3rd person shooter
  • development tools such as 3d model exporter and map/mission editor, and much more.

mowas2-4-lg.jpg

787539_full.jpg

And those cunts said that they wouldn't be returning to GEM2 engine. So what the fuck is this, something new from scratch? Or... what? OH FUUUCK.

Nothing concrete so far yet, no gameplay. And this is supposed to be out early 2014?

They better not be fucking dumbing down dizzzzzzzzzzz!

I'm a bit worried, as digitalmindsoft is also working on Call to Arms as crowdfunding project at the same time...

Get a TC exclusive preview on this baby bitches! Whisky

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Looks good. It's a pity they still haven't considered implementing a psychological system -- how difficult could it be nowadays? The lack of morale is the only major weak point in the Men of War series, in my opinion.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm pretty worried about the game, and the state of digitalmind in first place.

MOWAS2 is supposed to be in beta by now, yet I've not seen a single game-play video. If they've had to drop any of the physics or environmental destruction due to the engine change, I'll slit my wrists.

Steve

Augur
Somewhat old news but still :bounce:. I hope the game gets more attention this time around so you don't always have to play against russians who's life goal is to become ridiculously good in Men of War.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
And I am too ashamed to play after such a long break. I would get raped (and not in a tasteful manner). The guys who play MOW:AS atm are all pretty much insanely good.

Quilty

Magister
I only ever played this in co-op, that was pretty fun. Could have used more variety on those co-op maps, though.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
And those cunts said that they wouldn't be returning to GEM2 engine.
What? Those screens are obviously the same old GEM engine they've been using since Soldiers in 2004.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
And those cunts said that they wouldn't be returning to GEM2 engine.
What? Those screens are obviously the same old GEM engine they've been using since Soldiers in 2004.

I tried to do a bit of digging, but what they are saying is that the game uses Call to Arms' engine. Whatever that is.

Looks pretty much like GEM2 to me. I wouldn't really mind even if they used the old engine, though it has two major limitations: the map size and optimization. And maybe AI too, if you're nitpicky.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
And that looks exactly the same heh. They can call it whatever they like, fact is this is the same engine from 2004. Kind of like what Bethesda were doing with Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout all using the same tech with some mintor upgrades.

But it still looks acceptable so i don't really care.

Erzherzog

Magister
Wonder what they'll do to mechanics this time.

Men of War was an amazing game. Assault Squad was a worthy sequel, I just preferred the original's focus on vehicles though I understand the work on infantry units. If they can make the infantry combat on par with the vehicle combat, it'll be the best strategy game ever. (Yes I am that big of a fanboy.)

As far as singleplayer goes, I hope for something a little more interesting and varied than what Assault Squad brought us.

Erzherzog

Magister
Man, if only I could not suck at Men of War :negative:.

In a game where the range of your guns is so long, map vision is what it's all about.

Barring that just buy rocket artillery and pewpewpew hope for good luck.

Anyone that lost a decent tank to a Katyusha raise their hand.

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
I love Katyushas, they make such fabulous explosions when you nade/dynamite/molotov/shell/Daimler them. There's nothing quite like the feeling of satisfaction destroying a Katyusha, ISU-152, and a squad of infantry with a single dynamite charge brings.

Erzherzog

Magister
The ISU-152 is an annoyance too, dat arc shot negating the advantages of sloped armor. Thing works great even against King Tigers.

But god, the explosion effects of the game are amazing aren't they? Tagging a mobile artillery unit was always satisfying.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I like how that set of pictures starts out excessively bright and then pic-by-pic tones it down.

P.S., I also suck terribly at these games and wish I didn't. They're so fun, but getting smooshed by some kid in Russia again and again tends to add up.

Steve

Augur
Got a beta key yesterday and played a few games. Not sure if its a beta thing but this is almost entirely the same game as the first assault squad. All the new additions are very minor UI things like units having kill counts. There is a ranking system that unlocks you new units in the game, thankfully you can disable it in a game lobby so everybody gets a fair chance. Currently there are only Germany and USA, neither have any new units except "veteran" versions of the older ones.

I haven't heard a single line of new dialogue and the graphics are pretty much the same.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Wow am I the only one who only played the MoW series for single player?
Is it just a series of random skirmishes against the AI or there is more to it? The AI behave with minimun competency, at least?

In Assault Squad you only have skirmishes, in the rest of the games you have campaigns (there are titles that are exclusively singleplayer)

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
Wow am I the only one who only played the MoW series for single player?

I certainly hope so. MoW is an amazing multiplayer game. The campaigns are mildly entertaining in co-op for the humour value.

I'm disappointed to hear this latest iteration doesn't really add anything new. The rewrite for multicore must have been a huge undertaking, though, so I'm not surprised.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Yeah sorry guys should have been more clear. I only played the non-AS MoW games for SP. Never touched the MP.
I thought most of the campaigns were well done, with just enough variety and balance. Red Tide was brutually tough, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom