Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline meh Ubisoft (Ubi fuckery general thread)

Gerrard

Arcane
Let's be honest, things can't possibly get any worse, and even if they somehow do, nobody will care because it's Ubisoft. It's a win-win.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Hopefully this doesn't lead to anything too bad. With Watch_Dogs 2 and Ghost Recon Wildlands coming up, Ubisoft is once again showing why they're the top of the gaming pack in terms of sheer quality and attention to detail. Not to say they can't fail, of course, For Honor looks abysmal, and I can only hope for the sake of gaming's future that it fails miserably, but by and large Ubisoft is one of the few bastions of incline left in this world. :salute:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm finding it hard to hate them too much right now as they gave me The Crew base game for free, and I've been finding it hard to find a non-sim racing game that I really enjoy. Although there's probably a ton of DLC available in The Crew I just haven't really checked.

But yea, in general they're fucking ballbags

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ants-to-move-away-from-linear-narratives.aspx

Ubisoft's Creative Lead Wants To Move Away From Linear Narratives

Taking the Assassin's Creed and Far Cry franchises into account, most open-world Ubisoft games have traditionally carried a narrative thread throughout the experience, littering scores of side quests along the side of this on-rails narrative to entertain players between main missions. If Ubisoft chief creative officer Serge Hascoët has his way, he wants to do away with the linear experience altogether.

Speaking to French newspaper Le Monde, Hascoët outlined his problems with the publisher's current approach, which has gifted gamers memorable personalities like Ezio Auditore da Firenze and Vaas. "When there are cutscenes in a game, it bothers me, because it removes my ability for expression," he says. "During these scenes, I'm not doing what I want to do, which is evolve in this world. I don't want us to write one story, I want there to be tens of thousands of stories, that each character has one, and I can speak to them if I want to know that story."

He further explained what he views to be the more attractive alternative: "What interests me is to create worlds that are interesting to me as well as to anyone else," he says. "If I have a game set in San Francisco (like Watch Dogs 2), I'd want even my mom to be able to have fun, drive a boat, helicopter, car... There has to be interesting people to meet, too, and that they come across well. Also, the player has to be able to enjoy themselves. We want to give them many methods: private detective, assassin, hacker, hunter... You can try out these professions along with their problems, and to become more powerful."

sullynathan

Arcane
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...s-have-to-buy-for-the-full-experience-ubisoft

"No more DLC that gamers have to buy for the full experience" - Ubisoft
Ubisoft's VP of live operations Anne Blondel-Jouin on what Ubisoft has discovered from giving away Rainbow Six DLC
Christopher Dring

Senior Editor

Tuesday 22nd November 2016

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Recommend Tweet Share
Ubisoft

Ubisoft says that it will no-longer sell DLC that gamers will need to fully enjoy their game.

VP of live operations Anne Blondel-Jouin told GamesIndustry.biz that the publisher now looks to support its games for between five and ten years, and in order to keep players engaged, the firm must be very careful when it comes to monetisation.

Ubisoft has enjoyed a lot of success with Rainbow Six: Siege, a shooter where the extra maps are being made available for free - gamers only need to pay if they want to customise their characters, or buy new ones.

"Monetisation is something we have to be very careful about, and my team is in charge of that and making sure we find a right balance," Blondel-Jouin says.

"The key is if it's not adding something on-top of the actual experience of the game, then it is no good. Because you'll be asking for more money for the wrong reasons. Also, if the content is compulsory for the gamers, it's no good as well. It is a way to deliver more fun to gamers, but they have a choice to go for that extra fun or not. If I take an analogy of an amusement park, you can go through all the rides, but then you can also go to the shop to buy some food or merchandise or whatever... regardless of whether you spend in the shop, you're still part of the whole experience. Nobody is making you buy if you don't want to, but it is another way to have a different entertainment experience. If you're with your kids, and there's a toy you want to get, we will make sure it is an extra experience. It won't be the case if you don't buy it then you can't do anything else.

"It wouldn't work if it was about making it compulsory for gamers. No more DLC that you have to buy if you want to have the full experience. You have the game, and if you want to expand it - depending on how you want to experience the game - you're free to buy it, or not."

Brand Manager

South East

Amiqus Games

Build Engineer – European RPG Developer

Poland

OPM

Marketing Manager

South West

Amiqus Games

Discover more jobs in games
Rainbow Six's DLC strategy is the same as the one adopted by Microsoft for Halo 5, while Respawn is also giving away its maps for free for Titanfall 2. The idea is that by ensuring all gamers can play across all maps and modes, then fans are likely to stay engaged in the experience for longer. Blondel-Jouin says the strategy has worked for Rainbow Six, both in terms of Daily Active Users and commercially.

"The way we monetise Rainbow Six is that people are happy about the new characters, and they can customise them with weapons and charms, but even if they don't do it, they will have the exact same experience of the other gamers," she says. "It is just an extra piece of revenue for us, which comes from gamers being happy. If gamers were not happy, we would not ask for that extra money.

"It does have the same commercial impact [as charging DLC]. It is also more fair for both Ubisoft and the gamers, as it is an extra proposal for them and they even take it or not. This new way of doing things, is because it is Ubisoft's responsibility to deliver gamers with the best quality possible. If you do a nasty toy, it will stay in the store no matter what the brand is. It is putting our creative teams back to work to deliver the best stuff for gamers, and it's a win-win situation.

:salute:
Good guy Ubisoft at it again. Making good games and having better DLC practices than others.

pippin

More like discovering the good press for CDPR when they released like 12 DLC for free.

tormund

Arcane
Wow, those bastards at the best publisher UBISOFT really are insane... not only are they providing us with loads of open world games that offer insane amounts of high quality content for the same price as any limited, linear AAA game, and not only are they providing us with hard core tactical shooters like RAINBOW SIX SIEGE, they are also showering us with free content!!
How can they afford to stay in business with such practices???? We all love them but they sure are mad!! :) :) :)

sullynathan

Arcane
more free Ubisoft games

https://30days.ubi.com/Promotion/Calendar/

0FMldmm.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
More like discovering the good press for CDPR when they released like 12 DLC for free.

More like they rediscovered how games were released in the 80's and 90's. You know when you'd get the game complete and the only 'DLC' was in the form of a full expansion for those that wanted moar.

Norfleet

It always amazes me that people actually make walls out of a material so flimsy I can just put my foot through it without even trying. This applies to both, although at least in theory, paper was supposed to be CHEAP. Why even bother HAVING walls if they aren't even going to stop someone from accidentally stumbling through one?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ubi is cool, they are way above competition when it comes to building big worlds, attention to detail is amazing in most of their games. I dont know where they find these artists, its like they have some secret breeding artist factory hidden somewhere.

When it comes to business practices, from being the worst offender to PC gaming with always online reqs (I did boycott their games till they removed it) they are making use of cheap ukranian labor and getting most of their titles to PCs too these days.
Some of them even playable at launch day.

Lost of people dont like uPlay, I just see it as Steams less sexy cousin. There are some benefits to it with uPlay by getting rebates for earned points, access to betas and so on. So far R6, For Honor, Division all had betas on uPlay only, completely ignoring Steam.

Nice that they changed DLC policy altho I still think these fake currencies they have in most of their games like Helix points in AC should die in a fire.

They do make some dlc-free games sometimes like AC Chronicles and Rayman Legends which is refreshing to see.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ubi is cool, they are way above competition when it comes to buiding big worlds, attention to detail is amazing in most of their games. I dont know where they find these artists, its like they have some secret breeding artist factory hidden somewhere.

When it comes to business practices, from being the worst offender to PC gaming with always online reqs (I did boycott their games till they removed it) they are making use of cheap ukranian labor and getting most of their titles to PCs too these days.
Some of them even playable at launch day.

Lost of people dont like uPlay, I just see it as Steams less sexy cousin. There are some benefits to it with uPlay by getting rebates for earned points, access to betas and so on. So far R6, For Honor, Division all had betas on uPlay only, completely ignoring Steam.

Nice that they changed DLC policy altho I still think these fake currencies they have in most of their games like Helix points in AC should die in a fire.

They do make some dlc-free games sometimes like AC Chronicles and Rayman Legends which is refreshing to see.

I actually find the Uplay rewards unlock system to be a nice addition to the whole achievement thing which is otherwise pointless on Steam except in the rare cases where some achievements encourage other play styles for games that may not really have been designed for them and thus avoid the need for 'house rules', such as some of those in HL2 which encourage not using guns etc.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Ubi is so good at coming up with interesting game ideas (The Crew, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed) but the execution is always mindnumbingly boring and even worse, sanitzed. Their checklist gameplay approach is actually fucking horrible.

I've read them saying they want to move towards less narrative in their games and more take a more sandboxy approach maybe, we'll see what that looks like.

I was gifted Farcry Primal during this steam sale and went in expecting total shit, but the game actually has a " survivor" mode with permadeath and retard UI features disabled. I played a couple of hours yesterday in that mode and it was pretty engrossing, I was surprised.

So I guess a little bit of incline?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom