Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Real-Time Tactics MechCommander Gold Darkest Hour

SymbolicFrank

Magister
If you like tactical squad-based games, MechCommander Gold is comparable to Fallout: Tactics, and easily in the top ten. It's a mystery why it isn't covered in the Squad-Level Tactical Games sticky, or why it doesn't have it's own thread on the codex.

Anyway, you have the open world gun games, like Fallout and JA2, and you have the level-based ones, like the original X-COM. And MechCommander Gold is easily in the top three of those, simply because there aren't all that much good ones.

But, all in all, it's rather short. And MechCommander 2 wasn't an improvement. So, if you want more, LOTS more, fear not: there is a solution! It's called MechCommander Gold Darkest Hour. And it's great.

Well, ok, it isn't out all that long, and it did crash twice in the 50+ levels I played so far. Of the 130 available!

So, if you like squad-based tactical games with guns, you will love this :D

Oh, and did I mention it is completely free? It is.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mech Commander was a great game, downloading this right now. Going to try it this weekend if I get a chance.

Inner Sphere Mechs > Clan anime shit

Unwanted

Pytededatyl

Unwanted
If you like tactical squad-based games, MechCommander Gold is not for you.

Its a truly shit RTS with broken mechanics and hilarious balance.

If you like larping a mech commander though, go ahead.

rezaf

Cipher
How does one actually run this?

When I launch one of the EXE files it throws an 0xC00000222 error or somesuch.
Running as an admin or in Win98 compatibility mode doesn't change a thing.
What gives?

Morkar Left

I think you need a separate download wih the data folder from the original game (somewhere on the forum) as an ISO or something.

rezaf

Cipher
The readme just says "mount the iso included", which I did of course do.

Morkar Left

How to Install:

For Single-Player enter MCG - Darkest Hours and start with the resolution *.exe you desire to play. Notice that you need to use original disk or mounted *.iso (inside game folder) to play. Windows 10 can mount iso file easily, other Windows versions may need additional Software to mount virtual drives like Virtual Clone Drive (freeware).

Dunno... just tried for myself and it actually works out of the box right from my download folder after extracting it and mounting the iso with daemon tools. Pick one of the MCX.exes e.g. MCX640X480.exe

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Yes, what Morkar said.

The only real bug I encountered is an extremely slow scrolling speed if the resolution is too low. And I'm not sure if running it with compatibility settings actually helps with that. Reducing your desktop resolution and/or running it windowed might help, but I didn't try. I use 1280x768 for the optimal result on 1920x1080.

If the scrolling would work, a higher resolution would be best, as you can play on "zoomed" (click the "zoom" button in the tactical phase). But that makes the logistic phase (menus and loadout) very small.

I would love a 1280x960 resolution, that scales the menus/loadout screens x2.

rezaf

Cipher
I obviously tried that as advertised, but it does not work. I don't even get a meaningful error.
My guess is that it's maybe an OS language issue (non-english Windows) or maybe the game needs to be installed on the C drive?
I dunno.

rezaf

Cipher
I tried this again (still had it installed) and for some reason, instead of crashing, it prompted me to install a missing windows feature this time around (I think it was DirectPlay), and then it worked.
Yay, I guess.

But one question to the pros: I remember there being a way to target specific parts of the mech and thus having a better chance to capture them. I also recall trying the third mission a dozen times or something back in the day in order to capture the MadCat (finally succeeding, too).
However, consulting the manual, it say "8+Left Mouse Button" for head, for example - however it fails to mention this only works with the numpad (no biggie) ... but using such combo causes my mechs to freeze in place, neither trying to get into/remain in range nor actually shooting. Well, sometimes they shoot ... I think, but more often than not they just idle around and eat bullets.
What am I doing wrong here guys?
Thanks!

Citizen

I tried this again (still had it installed) and for some reason, instead of crashing, it prompted me to install a missing windows feature this time around (I think it was DirectPlay), and then it worked.
Yay, I guess.

But one question to the pros: I remember there being a way to target specific parts of the mech and thus having a better chance to capture them. I also recall trying the third mission a dozen times or something back in the day in order to capture the MadCat (finally succeeding, too).
However, consulting the manual, it say "8+Left Mouse Button" for head, for example - however it fails to mention this only works with the numpad (no biggie) ... but using such combo causes my mechs to freeze in place, neither trying to get into/remain in range nor actually shooting. Well, sometimes they shoot ... I think, but more often than not they just idle around and eat bullets.
Thanks!

I don't know why, but it worked the same way for me. Mechs stand still and rarely shoot, but when they do, the damage the head. To salvage the madcat I just nuked it with the airstrike. If you can catch him near the border of the bigger airstrike zone, he will be salvageable. Just keep him away from the centre.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Unfortunately the addon levels/scenarios are buggy as hell. In the very first new mission, it either crashes to desktop because of map errors or it doesn't register when objectives are completed. It's a great idea, hopefully the autistic savant behind it can fix the issues.

rezaf

Cipher
Circuit Thanks. Didn't get this to work properly ever, so I just ended up not using aiming.

Unfortunately the addon levels/scenarios are buggy as hell. In the very first new mission, it either crashes to desktop because of map errors or it doesn't register when objectives are completed. It's a great idea, hopefully the autistic savant behind it can fix the issues.

Strange, I had no such problems for quite a while. Later on, the mod has a fair amount of issues, though.
No crashes, mind you, but ...

For example, there's a mission in which the designer had the super-kewl idea that you have to bring a couple of weak vehicles with you and park them on four drop beacons to avoid a bridge you have to pass from being blown up. Except, this a mechanic never used anywhere in the game otherwise, and neither in the briefing nor during the mission is it made clear enough what you're expected to do. The designer might have thought he was very clever, but actually this just comes across as player trolling.
Likewise, in another mission, containers you had to capture were hidden on outlying islands you could only reach with a jumpjet mech. Again, this wasn't properly indicated anywhere, so again, just trolling players. I had to look both of those up on their forums.
I a later mission, the ending failed to fire despite all objectives having been completed, and later still it becomes somewhat common for there being a delay of half a minute or more after completing the final objective and before the mission completes.

Beyond mission logic, since there are often no briefings at all and others are confusing since a couple of missions have been appropriated from other campaigns, a lot of what made the original game cool in the first place, the MechWarrior atmosphere, is lost along the way.
What remains is a (very very very) long chain of scenarios with a ton of repetition (many lifeless filler missions) and too much XP for your pilotes to go around on (they'll all be crack pilots in no time).

I'm nearing the end of operation 2 and I have to say, I find myself being bored more often than not.

MCGRizZen

Barely Literate
It's a great idea, hopefully the autistic savant behind it can fix the issues.

He can although conduct a plastic surgery in your face - with his fist :P
3.2 update is out, many bugfixes - First mission third object isn´t secondary but primary at the moment, will be fixed too later. MoFo!

Sorry, the game was modded for target group of people having exponential more than one braincell - muahaha

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yay, I guess.

Thanks!

I don't know why, but it worked the same way for me. Mechs stand still and rarely shoot, but when they do, the damage the head. To salvage the madcat I just nuked it with the airstrike. If you can catch him near the border of the bigger airstrike zone, he will be salvageable. Just keep him away from the centre.

I have the same issue, I think it is how it supposed to work. Note that the cursor colour turns yellow when you use targeted shots - the same colour that is used for "Attack from position" attacks.
From this I gather that all targeted attacks are "attack from position" attacks. With attack from position, the Mech will not automatically close in on a target when the target is out of range. Instead, it will just hold its position and stay idle.

So the same for targeted shots. I tried it out and the Mechs do fire when ordered to do a targeted attack, however you need to bring them into range manually before ordering the targeted attack. Also, the firing rate on the head will be super slow (a bit faster on arms/legs), which maybe is suppossed to reflect that the pilots need to take their sweet time to aim an exact shot?

I suppose the game's manual could shed more light on that, however unfortunately, the original manual is nowhere to be found in electornic form. There are only PDF of the MechWarrior Gold Manual, which is a short manual for the expansion.

I'm actually thinking of hunting down an original copy of the game on Ebay.

rezaf

Cipher
I'm sure I have the full manual somewhere, but it's stashed away in some forgotten box at my parent's place.

Now that I could compare the two, I feel this now almost 20 year old game is in many ways a much better game than BATTLETECH, which is something. But to new players, I'd recommend playing the original campaign first in a heartbeat, with this mod the balancing is totally off and the storytelling aspect is lost entirely (since like 30 missions pass between two briefings).
I really appreciate turn based games, but I feel giant robot games lose something when the mechs aren't constantly stomping around and stuff... ;)

Cael

Arcane
I'm sure I have the full manual somewhere, but it's stashed away in some forgotten box at my parent's place.

Now that I could compare the two, I feel this now almost 20 year old game is in many ways a much better game than BATTLETECH, which is something. But to new players, I'd recommend playing the original campaign first in a heartbeat, with this mod the balancing is totally off and the storytelling aspect is lost entirely (since like 30 missions pass between two briefings).
I really appreciate turn based games, but I feel giant robot games lose something when the mechs aren't constantly stomping around and stuff... ;)
MechCommander tried to keep to the spirit of BTech and kept a lot of the BTech lore. MechCommander is actually fairly canon as well, as it depicts the invasion of Port Arthur, one of the pivotal early battles of Operation Bull Dog (it was actually part of the precursor operation, Bird Dog). Every weapon is more or less true to its tabletop counterparts. For example, the PPC is 12 tons because it is actually the weapon (7t) + 5 double heat sinks (5t) to make it heat neutral. That formula works for all energy weapons, IIRC. The damage ratings are also true to their tabletop counterparts (multiply out the recycle rate per 10 seconds with the damage to get the tabletop values). The unit that you belong to (1st Davion Guards) exist in-universe.

The HBS game has none of this. Absolute zero. Even the weapons don't follow any tabletop rules. And it has a bunch of made up stuff that takes it further and further away from BTech. They even got the lore wrong, which is a massive one. BTech has games that spread out over several genres. MechWarrior, Crescent Hawks Incept and Revenge, MechCommander. Most of them has tweaks and changes to make it suit the genre better. The thing that really ties them all together is the lore. It was the first thing HBS got wrong. There is not a single thing in the HBS game that actually says "Battletech". You can call it Macross or Mospeada or Cyber Empires or Front Mission and it won't make a difference.

By DEFAULT, MechCommander is the better BTech game simply because it IS a BTech game. The HBS game is not a BTech game at all, just a generic giant mecha game.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I've watched some YT videos of this mechcommander gold darkest hour, and its real time sadly, so clickfest garbage. Anyone knows turn based mech games with isometric view or 3D graphics?

Cael

Arcane
I've watched some YT videos of this mechcommander gold darkest hour, and its real time sadly, so clickfest garbage. Anyone knows turn based mech games with isometric view or 3D graphics?
Unfortunately not. Turn-based is hard enough to come by as it is. Isometric or 3D is basically out of the question. It was one of the reasons why I was so excited about the HBS game back in November. It would be the first one ever and supposedly in a setting that I love (CBT, not that Dark Age bullshit).

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Unfortunately not. Turn-based is hard enough to come by as it is. Isometric or 3D is basically out of the question. It was one of the reasons why I was so excited about the HBS game back in November. It would be the first one ever and supposedly in a setting that I love (CBT, not that Dark Age bullshit).

You seem knowlegeable of mechs game, do you recommend any older turn based titles with mech theme? Doesnt have to be battle tech universe.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Cael I'm curious why you said MegaMek "isn't even a game" (I'm paraphrasing here). From what I've read, it sounds like everything you want in a BT-based game.

Citizen

220px-Cyberstorm_Cover.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom