Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info MCA was checking out Age of Decadence

tiagocc0

Arcane
The lack of complaints regarding teleporting is most disconcerting, Tiagocc0. Clearly, you're playing it wrong.

Do not be the one dissenter in this thread . . .
Hahaha, let me finish it before saying if I liked the teleport thing or not.
So far I think if the 2d map was improved, it wouldn't be such an issue for most.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I would kill off the instaport completely. Bouncing around like a ball in a pinball machine just screws with the game's internal time-sense, makes it harder to establish a connection with your character and, while I get the impression that AoD isn't that kind of game, eliminates a lot of potential adventures one might have while looking for the next quest location / character. It also strikes me as a next-gen feature, as if the idea is to spare the player of potentially boring treks, but I understand how it might have more to do with trying to prevent the player from fucking up the sequence of events in the multi-verse.

Of course, when saying "I would kill off instaport" I really mean that it wouldn't be on my list of possible design choices in the first place. Going over the whole game now and just tossing out all the triggers and creating viable work-arounds would probably be way too much work at this stage.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
One author of shitty RPGs to another. How cute.
VD is sorry that you cannot roleplay your LegolasXxX. Don't say things like that.

...that was weak as hell. I wouldn't say anything about the writing though, the setup and gameplay alone didn't grab me much. But truly it would be interesting to hear how the mainstream media react to the release since previews are..what they say...always sound sweet to guarantee a release review copy.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Well, I must be a bitch because I didn't mind the teleport.
I played some more and the only thing that I think really needs fixing is that the camera always seems to be at an unpleasant angle when teleporting.
So I find myself constantly fixing the camera.

Grimlorn

Arcane
One author of shitty RPGs to another. How cute.
VD is sorry that you cannot roleplay your LegolasXxX. Don't say things like that.

...that was weak as hell. I wouldn't say anything about the writing though, the setup and gameplay alone didn't grab me much. But truly it would be interesting to hear how the mainstream media react to the release since previews are..what they say...always sound sweet to guarantee a release review copy.
Unless Iron Tower Studios buys a shit ton of ad space on those review sites like all the other AAA publishers, I doubt they'll get any good reviews from them.

There's always Sea on Gamebanshee though.

Severian Silk

VD said:
-teleporting is confusing - 50/50 with a chance of growing on you
hehehe... i think its just that the option its not presented in the best way to the player.
I suggested using at least "ill walk there" as an dialogue option to refuse the teleportation.
It would make things clearer.

I haven't tried the demo yet, so I'm not sure how the auto-teleport works. But you could make it optional by having something like this:
- Don't worry Carrinas. I'll take care of it. [travel immediately to location]
- Don't worry Carrinas. I'll take care of it.
It's up to you if you want to copy-paste the dialog or not, but it could save some work time.
I second this!

It's not that simple.
You mean you can't get/set global variables from within dialogue choices?

[edit]
Oops. New forum hides intervening posts.

[edit]
It's not just the instaports that irk me, but also the constant "click dialogue, fade to black, click dialogue, fade to black..." and so on. It makes me feel like I'm playing a very shitty text game.

That said, the dialogue is very strong, and the graphics look great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom