Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MCA leaves Obsidian

MCA's next employer?

• Bethesda

Votes: 77 15.5%
  • InXile

Votes: 154 31.0%
  • Cleve

Votes: 50 10.1%
  • Larian

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • EA

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 54 10.9%
  • Himself

Votes: 61 12.3%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Blizzard

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Zynga

Votes: 24 4.8%
  • Gaben

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Richard Garriot

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Kirkbride

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Bioware

Votes: 19 3.8%

• Total voters

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Chris Avellone

What are you going to do now, if you don't mind commenting? If you're looking for ideas, I'd really love to see a turn-based space opera with your... unique touch.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Ah, I see Chris Avellone continues to follow his dream being a living Stretch Goal.
MCA: Professional stretch goal.
:hero:

Chances of his content ending up in the bin are extremely small this way. Maybe he'll really make a career out of consulting on games, it would certainly allow him to use his creativity without having to worry about feeding employees or having to personally manage an entire project...
My problem with consulting on games and going freelance is that that way we will never see a 100% MCA game in the future. He will just do some design work on games or write some stuff.

Weasel
My problem with consulting on games and going freelance is that that way we will never see a 100% MCA game in the future. He will just do some design work on games or write some stuff.

But isn't that what Colin McComb does (unless he joined Inxile permanently, but I gathered he's still a freelancer doing project work) and he's lead on Torment? Surely seeing MCA in that sort of lead role would be great?

ArchAngel

Arcane
As someone not following this whole debacle very closely, can you bros tell me if Obsidian made some kind of public statement regarding MCA's departure? Always seemed strange to me how a founder and COO leaves the company suddenly and they say absolutely nothing.
It was a SMS breakup (or in this case a twitter breakup - Fergus commented on twitter about it).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
As someone not following this whole debacle very closely, can you bros tell me if Obsidian made some kind of public statement regarding MCA's departure? Always seemed strange to me how a founder and COO leaves the company suddenly and they say absolutely nothing.
It was a SMS breakup (or in this case a twitter breakup - Fergus commented on twitter about it).

Quote?

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

Ladies and gentlemen: MCA has left the building

Duraframe300

Arcane

But isn't that what Colin McComb does (unless he joined Inxile permanently, but I gathered he's still a freelancer doing project work) and he's lead on Torment? Surely seeing MCA in that sort of lead role would be great?

Yeah, he's basically external. (Adam Heine is even in Thailand most of the time)

It should still work out (particulary because I have a big amount of trust in Kevin Saunders who does work directly at InXile.)

It's a fair point though that you shouldn't set your expectations too high. With such a system communication is naturally a lot harder nor have the designers as much influence on the entire process since independent work is much more important. For example an artist or specific designer can't just go to the other guys office and ask him if something fits his vision.

Ofc. Depending on people involved that may not be such a bad thing (improvement for the worse)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I will be happy if that will be the case. I just hope he won't be someone who is just doing some small work on several projects. Like writing 5 dialogues on FTL and designing 1 dungeon in an RPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Colin and Adam are not contract workers or freelancers. They're full-time employees of inXile who work from home, just like Brother None.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Colin and Adam are not contract workers or freelancers. They're full-time employees of inXile who work from home, just like Brother None.

Yes, doesn't really change my point.

I reaaaaaally doubt their full time though. Both have other things going on as well and especially in Adam's case ....

Yeah, no.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Quote?
Go search his twitter.

EDIT: Now that I look at the source of that information, it was actually from this place http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-chris-avellone-leaves-obsidian-entertainment
and I was thinking about their Update #2 . I guess there was not public statement except to sites like this one.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MCA's departure appears to have been sudden but I really don't think Obsidian actually learned about it from Twitter.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Something went wrong..

Feargus said:
"Chris Avellone is no longer at Obsidian," he told me. "We wish him the best in his future endeavours."

These two have been connected at the hip for how many years? This response is so weird unless it was ripped from a longer quote or response..

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I reaaaaaally doubt their full time though. Both have other things going on as well and especially in Adam's case ....

Yeah, no.
Why would they be anything but full time? Heine is the lead designers on TToN. How could you make a game with your lead designer not full time (without it taking AoD amounts of time)?

Weasel
Still not sure about the full time thing, all his blogs/social stuff link to a variety of interests:
"Since then, I’ve been doing some freelance work to fill in the creative need. You can check the NEWS or BIBLIOGRAPHY (technically a “ludography”) for that. I’ve been working on a book and some short stories.

Oh, and I started 3lb Games/3lb Test with my wife."

http://3lbgames.com/philosophy/
Founded in 2009 by Robin Moulder-McComb and Colin McComb, we are a mobile application developer, specializing primarily in iPhone development. We bring a strong technical and creative background to every project, focusing with the intensity of a million suns or at least one very strong magnifying glass. Our approach is unconventional; our results, undeniable.

All of us here at 3lb Games are thrilled to be working with Kobold Press. Our Creative Director, Colin McComb, is also very delighted to be working with Kobold Press AGAIN.

We are wrapping the Numenera app right now, and we’re excited to deliver a new way for you to thumb through your spellbook. We are planning for full compatibility with the latest iPhone, iOS7, Android, Jelly Bean, and best of all, Producer, Robin Moulder-McComb, promises that it will support somatic components. No verbal components, though. At least not yet.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Yeah, no.
Why would they be anything but full time? Heine is the lead designers on TToN. How could you make a game with your lead designer not full time (without it taking AoD amounts of time)?
From this blog post of Adam's:
Knowing my limits. I'm pretty terrible at this one usually, but occasionally I will have bursts of genius, like when I signed on to Torment with a 25-30 hour/week commitment instead of fulltime (although that usually turns into 30-35, and even more during crunches, but commitments! Yay!).
I don't know how this is possible, because if Adam is really working only 25-30 hours (or even 30-35 hours), he has like three times the productivity of a normal human being.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Yeah, no.
Knowing my limits. I'm pretty terrible at this one usually, but occasionally I will have bursts of genius, like when I signed on to Torment with a 25-30 hour/week commitment instead of fulltime (although that usually turns into 30-35, and even more during crunches, but commitments! Yay!).
I don't know how this is possible, because if Adam is really working only 25-30 hours (or even 30-35 hours), he has like three times the productivity of a normal human being.

This doesn't even include the incredible amount of work he does in his day to day life. The dude pretty much embodies Generosity and Kindness. (Along with his wife)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This doesn't even include the incredible amount of work he does in his day to day life. The dude pretty much embodies Generosity and Kindness. (Along with his wife)
For what he does, yes. Unfortunately, he's also a heavily brainwashed sjw. A sad sight.

uaciaut

Augur

Yeah, no.

Which Adam are these posts about btw?

uaciaut

Augur
Oh the guy who was in VIetnam or Thailand taking care of orphans? Ye he seemed p cool.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Oh the guy who was in VIetnam or Thailand taking care of orphans? Ye he seemed p cool.

Thailand and he still is. Thats one reason why I doubt he's 100% working on it.

Of course it makes all the more impressive what he actually does, but again communication can't be easy.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
If I compare Fallout NV Old World Blues with PoE, this is my thought process:

1. That introduction exposure in Big Mountain is way too long! It takes almost two hours non-stop reading! It has to be paced!
2. Damn, it might be long, but it really is great! I do have a big smile all that time. Even while I have seen it multiple times.
3. :) The more I think about it, the more I like it. And, while exploring Big Mt, it never becomes dull. That big smile keeps on happening.

But that seems to have been the last time. I didn't play the South Park game, so I'm not sure.

In the ramp up to Wasteland 2 and PoE, Chris mostly tweeted and posted about him not making much, if any, content, but being mostly in "an advisory role", and spending a bit of time on multiple projects.

Hm. That doesn't sound like there is any commitment.

I know how that works. It happened to me many times. It is called: change of management. And the new management wants things Organized. Or, rather, done Their way. Being known for having your own opinion will get you fired, ASAP.

So, which management? Because, Chris is part of it.

This requires some explanation.

Obsidian wasn't rolling in money. Making ends meet was a challenge. That makes people uncertain. "Am I doing the right thing?"

That is, because very few people think things through, form their own coherent picture and make their own decisions. Most everyone else just does whatever everyone else is doing.

Except, there is one person at Obsidian who is very outspoken and self-assured. About mostly everything. So, when things go wrong, that person becomes a beacon. And when his projects work out, he becomes the savior.

Except, that his solution to any problem is very mechanical. Literally. He uses math to explain and motivate it. And it has to be consistent.

That consistency is interesting. Because it depends on variables and assumptions. If your first question is: "Does magic exists?", and you answer "Yes", you just threw all laws of nature, together with all common sense out of the window. But it makes things a lot simpler.

You still have to decide if instant healing is an issue, but of course it is. And the Fireball spell only harming enemy targets. As long as you don't make two spells that use different rules, all is well.

So, the rules of the game are drawn. The story has to follow, and stay between those lines.

Let's switch back to Chris:

Eh, .. ?

Pardon me? In the past, we designed the story first, and made the mechanics follow that.

Sure, we want it to be consistent, but isn't the story, the setting, the atmosphere what counts? Isn't that what makes the events happen? With the right story, everything else is obvious and falls automatically into place! So, what is this all about my stories not fitting your holy framework? It's arbitrary!

And, as they say, the rest is history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom