Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

dunno lah

Arcane
I really like what Ray said at 35:10 of the video. ;)

Cadmus

Arcane
I just watched the Grimrock 2 part 2 video and Matt is probably the worst fucking interviewer I've ever seen. It was so cringe worthy. He's got the charisma of a dried toad. Good work getting the people to talk to him but he should work on his interview skills because this is really shitty.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Commander Keen is the greatest platform game ever written for the PC and Tom Hall a very clever coder to get such smooth performance on crappy old EGA cards.

Are you being wrong on purpose ?

Once again ?

Do you know what kind of tricks you have to do to get decent scrolling performance out of EGA? Assembly zen.

eHu0fWc.png

:neveraskedforthis:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Commander Keen is the greatest platform game ever written for the PC and Tom Hall a very clever coder to get such smooth performance on crappy old EGA cards.

Once again ?

Do you know what kind of tricks you have to do to get decent scrolling performance out of EGA? Assembly zen.

Absolutely. Except those tricks were pulled by John Carmack.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Tom Hall! :love:

I didn't remember that he was such an Infocom fan, but then I guess everyone played them at the time. What surprised me more is that he remembers Scott Adams so fondly, and even cites his games as a major inspiration for making his own games. Hilariously he even mentions trying one of Adams's newer games and calls it "ridiculously hard" :lol:

He spills quite a lot of interesting info that I don't remember having seen before, like that Cloud and Wilbur were both with Romero at Uptime and joined Softdisk at the same time (and after Carmack and Hall were already there). He's a fun guy to listen to. Hearing him ramble about the Dopefish is great stuff, I never realized he was such a Douglas Adams fan.

Tom Hall sounds extremely down-to-earth and just a great guy. But yeah, Carmack was the one responsible for the scrolling code - guy was really a fucking coding genius.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Once again ?

Absolutely. Except those tricks were pulled by John Carmack.
Pretty much this.

Tom is still a bro though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Always knew the whole "violence and gore" reason was false. Otherwise, he wouldn't have made RoTT.
I don't know where this rumour came from. Even back in 1994 both Hall and id said he left over creative differences with where Doom was going, and by creative I mean in terms of design, not "violence". Hall wanted more interactivity and story, the others disagreed. It's funny to hear the bit about Carmack trying to tone down the level design and Romero telling him "make a better engine", it's so indicative of Carmack's entire approach to design ever since.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, that was disappointing. He didn't actually say anything about Anachronox, other than how hard it was to develop it and how much he'd like to get the IP to make a sequel.

Better questions from Matt would have helped. :M

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have been waiting for this one. Seems like the game is joining my to-play-list, but at a much lower place than I predicted. Not an insta-buy for sure.

Anyone knows if this can be played on a touch-screen? Does it use RMB a lot?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ed Fries, the creator of Xbox (I think).

Good interview, apparently his sister designed Clippy the interactive Office assistant. :lol:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://mattchat.us/?p=894

Gameplay the Movie now Available on Vimeo!

Hi, all. If you’ve been watching Matt Chat for awhile, you know that I’ve been working on a movie about the history of the videogames industry. It features HD interviews with the likes of John Romero, David Crane, and John Smedley–just to name a few. It also has professional animation and a rocking soundtrack.

It’s now $4.99 to rent or $12.99 to own on Vimeo on Demand. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom